January 9th, 2008

Voter who made Clinton teary picked Obama

The CNN Ticker

Marianne Pernold Young looks on Monday after asking a question that led Hillary Clinton to tears.

(CNN) – Many political observers are crediting Democrat Hillary Clinton's surprise win in New Hampshire to the New York senator's rare display of emotion at a Portsmouth Coffee shop Monday morning.

But Clinton's tearful moment failed to win at least one Granite State voter - the very woman who prompted her response in the first place.

Marianne Pernold-Young told CNN Wednesday she ultimately picked Barack Obama in Tuesday night's primary because of the Illinois senator's performance at a recent rally she attended.

"I was moved to tears. Not once, but twice," she said. "And he has this enormous electricity. And I was just taken aback. And I just had to go with my feelings." (Video: Young speaks on American Morning)

On Monday, Young asked Clinton how she was holding up under the rigors of a presidential campaign - an inquiry that cause the presidential candidate's eyes to well up and voice to tremble.

"It's not easy, and I couldn't do it if I just didn't, you know, passionately believe it was the right thing to do," a teary Clinton said. "You know, I have so many opportunities from this country, I just don't want to see us fall backwards." (Video: Clinton gets emotional)

The moment instantly became the most-covered event on the campaign trail on the day before the critical New Hampshire primary, drawing praise from some who said Clinton had finally bared her true self to voters. The next day, Clinton won among voters who said a candidate who "cares about people" is most important (a category John Edwards won in Iowa.)

Young told CNN she herself was touched by the event, though it was not enough to convince her to support Clinton.

"I was very touched and I was totally in awe that she would open up to us, all of us there," Young said. "But it was a delicate matter."

On CNN's American Morning, Clinton wouldn't speculate whether the moment had put her over the top in the Granite State the night before, but said, "I'm really glad that I had a chance to say what I believe with all of my heart, that politics isn't a game, it's not a horse race. It's about people's lives." (Video: Hillary Clinton on American Morning)

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Evelyn Gollan

As your neighbor I am very hopeful that you will elect someone who has the ability to straighten out the mess the last one you elected because he was someone you would like to have a beer with, Listen to what they will do and who already has the knowledge of how to and already has the respect international. HOPE will not do it. I reaally think the world would be in better shape if Gore would have been elected. Please learn from your past mistakes.

January 9, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  2. John Doe

I can't stand Obama, when he speaks on tv it sounds like I am at church listening to him. It is annoying. I am also tired of hearing the word CHANGE. Can you come up with a new word please. Thats all i hear is change change change. Give me a break and talk about something else.

January 9, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  3. Cole

Hillary is Dick Cheney in a pant suit. The only change she represents is from man to woman. Other than that its going to be politics as usual. Disdain for the press, a hidden and secretive administration, and a 30 percent approval rating made up of blind followers.

January 9, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  4. Susan

Hillary is a smart calculating woman and she wants to win, at any cost. So what if she uses everything at her disposal ? Some of the men running would do exactly the same thing if they thought it would be beneficial to their campaign. If she succeeds in getting the nomination, just watch how up to the task she will be. Men we call aggressive, women we call something else entirely. Will be interesting to watch just how dirty both sexes can be.

January 9, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  5. Patch

This "loss" will only strengthen Senator Obama's resolve.

It's only a matter of time before Senator Clinton or her husband, President Clinton, make a mistake that brings either of them to real tears.

I don't see the Illinois Senator showing weakness, even in a 3% defeat.

CNN's bias, however, is much more readily recognizable; and has been for quite some time. In this case, Hillary versus Barack, it's not a true bias per se. It's more of an exacerbation of the facts to promote an increase in viewership.

End point: New Hampshire's only the first Primary. There's a long span of time yet to come before we decide our next President. Dirty tricks, political games, statistical analysis, dramatic interpretation and blatant mudslinging are all part of the process. Change or not, this election will be one to read books about for decades to come.

January 9, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  6. Cathi

Did anyone listen to Hillary's winner's speech last night? Her reference to her heart being heard in New Hampshire smacks of a setup. Hillary's entire life is one planned, well-thought out minute after another. She was going to play the weepy card at some point in New Hampshire. She had to in order to get ahead. Quite interesting that the lady she was responding to voted for someone else. I pity Mrs. Clinton because she doesn't know how to be herself. She's so used to working in a man's world and thinking as a man for her husband that she's completely forgotten how to be herself. Darn – she couldn't even speak off the cuff last night, she had to read a prepared speech speech.

January 9, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  7. Jim Belmont

Obama has everyone fooled and a lot of republicans saying thats the man we can beat so lets vote for him in the primaries and then we can win the national presidential election.

January 9, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  8. JTP

I still think it was staged. Bush's people advise him to wait for a question that would allow him to be critical. That way, a question is not planted, but the result is still staged. Similarly, Clinton's people probably had her wait for a question that would allow her to express emotion. I wonder how many times she practiced?

January 9, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  9. Anon

[quote]Ron, TX January 9, 2008 2:48 pm ET

That's such an excellent point. Do you want a candidate who cries for you? Out of stress, thoughts of defeat, and even perhaps a distant idea of making America better? Or do you want a candidate who makes you cry? Out of hope, joy, thoughts of a better America?[/quote]

To Ron, TX
    That's her feeling towards Obama not Clinton.

January 9, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  10. stan pitts pa

John Doe January 9, 2008 3:26 pm ET

yeah when he talks change its change he can deliver because he hasnt had "35 years of washington experience" which leads to a failed economic plan, failed/wrong war, failed foreign policy the list goes on!

January 9, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  11. Tom, FL

If anyone doubt Hillary, it should be same to Obama.
    He's a so-called "Rookie", so you don't know what he done before. Remember he was a lawyer.
    She's a human and no script for her crying.
    She's a great woman no matter you admit or not.
    Don't look down upon other people judgement.

January 9, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  12. James Bailey

Just as she stages everything else, this was a great acting job by Shillary. It worked out well for her, but she probably can't rely on this trick too many more times.

To my fellow Democrats out there, please don't vote for her. 20 years of Bush/Clinton/Bush is enough. It's time for some new blood in the White House. Do not inflict someone upon us that 50 percent (probably more) of the country hates before they even start on the job.

January 9, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  13. wondering in MA

People have brought up Mitt's Mormon religion, and Huckabee's christen symbols, why has no one touched on the Muslim education that Obama received. or am I totally wrong and his father and others were not Muslim and had no influence on him? This might not be politically correct but since we are electing a president in these troubled times it is an issue to bring out in the open, address and put to rest – as some of us are wondering and some are afraid to bring up the issue.

January 9, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  14. Tyler in Raleigh, NC

Do we need a President we pity? Voting for someone cause you feel sorry for them is just wrong. Becuase someone cries (or pretends to be emoptional) DOES NOT mean they care about you.

I think if she was crying about anything, it ws seeing her hard work washed away and facing a loss. Thank you NH for giving her the pity vote, if she cries a few more times maybe we can win the esteem of the world with a leader that tell them to be sorry for us and our strugles in making our hair look pretty.

January 9, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  15. S.B.

I think Bill and Hillery Clinton are nothing but racial pundits that try to hide underneath that phony persona they both show. Where was the emotin shown by Hillary when George W. Bush was driving this country backward. I have one thing for the Clintons, do not count so much that evry Black are going to vote for her!! She now faces a diverse nation and one that is not so white. What 35 years of experience do Hillary has? I will join other bloggers in making sure that her time as first lady of Arkansas, the White House and Senate comes under scrutiny. Hoe dumb are American voters!! For the past two decade there has been a Bush or Clinton in the White House. She does not represent change. She is a very partisan politician!!!!!

January 9, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  16. Larry

anyone else notice how often Hillary says "you know" when talking without a script?

January 9, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  17. J

Right on JOHN DOE....If I hear the word "change" one more time I am going to PUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh now we are going to hear "yes we can".....The speech writers need to be FIRED! Get over OBUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 9, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  18. Outside Observer

Mrs Clinton made the remark that this election is "personal" for her. If this is so, then how could she care for the people of America! She is just using these tactics to gain support and I'm surprised that Americans are falling for it. If this is the case, Americans don't want change so they may as well keep the current President in power. Mrs Clinton is "too false" and also I have to wonder why is her husband jumping on her band-wagon and attacking Obama. Why is he defending her? Will he defend her if she gets the Presidency? I am a woman and I see a hard, cold woman who is only thinking of herself and not her country.

January 9, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  19. Jake, California

I project that Hillary Clinton can never become president of the United States, she may only win a few states.

1. She boasts of experience but plants questions so that she gives calculated answers
    2. She insulted the people of Iowa when she lost miserably in that State
    3. She cries for votes when she's not getting them
    4. 50% or more of the country already hates her to start with, could get worse with time
    5. She has a promiscuous husband who is also notorious at lying and twisting information

Wait, is she going to sit on round table with Al Queada and leaders of the Middle East and say if you don't become friends of America I'll cry right now?

That's really going to work! Continue to follow her.
    Let her just enjoy these few moments which will encourage her to spend more wasteful money on her bogus campaign. In the end she'll be crying even harder.

January 9, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  20. Dem

The race between Clinton and Obama will be very close. The outcome will depend on several big states such as New York, California, Florida, and Texas. New York will go to Clinton. California likes Bill Clinton, and will join her camp. Texas is a conservative state, and it might help Clinton. Florida is a toss up. I wish Bloomberg joins the race as an independent now. My first choice is Bloomberg, the second Clinton.

January 9, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  21. Texas

Hillary getting teary eyed is not what helped her win NH. People took control of their vote. It's the Chris Matthews' of the world who started this. Chris Matthews knows exactly what he is doing–spinning. He doens't like Hillary. Hillary can win on her own merits and she will. But no mater what she does she'll always have abusive fans on her case. Have any of you ever been fatigued, stressed, personal life challenges beathing down your back, and you are still expected to maintain your composure and go on to work. But then someone says something to you at a time when your defenses are down and yes, you do get teary eyed or choked up. It's called being HUMAN. Oh gos, but, don't let a woman do that because she's labeled a cry baby just trying to get what she wants. I'd like to see you bashers go and debate Hillary on any topic of your choice! Let's see who the idiot really is.

January 9, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  22. Wayne, Greenville TX

Tom Dedham, Mass January 9, 2008 3:14 pm ET

Wayne, I will write this real slow so you can understand it, this has nothing to do with Rush, Hannity or anybody else but the Clintons.

Just because someone disagrees with the Clintons does not make them right-wing, neo-nazi's as you make that assumption based on James simply saying "what a bunch of crock. I don't believe that for one second".

Go back down to your Mommies basement and play video games, the big people are discussing big people things.

Many of us non-Clintonista sheep remember the 90's and this is right out of the Clinton playbook as Bill was famous for two phony as hell things when he was lying, one was pointing his finger and two was the ability to CRY ON CUE.

And Wayne, many that are sick of this BS are your fellow Democrats, and like me, they simply want a better (sob, sob) country that has no partisan bickering and real "agents of change" that (sob, sob) no matter the party, realize that we need to get things down in this country (sob, sob) TOGETHER.

That shows how little you know, Tom. I'm 54 years old and have been active in Democratic politics since I helped my late mother distribute campaign literature for JFK when I was seven years old. I've probably forgotten more about our political process than you ever learned.

And I'm not a "Clintonista sheep" – I support Barack Obama. But I can recognize right-wing pap when I see it, and I saw a lot of it in James' post.

January 9, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  23. Stella

Voters with their political and past experience, say for the last 3 or 4 decades will not even bother to comment here. But I will. Many of us are not serious about our country's crisis, nationally and also, how we are NOW depicted in the world.
    Please think about your children's future, your parents' and grandparents' social security (and your own, if you will get any). Think about the current health care of your neighbors across town! Please don't tell me you don't care about my single parent daughter being refused treatment for her Lupus at the .... Clinic, here in San Antonio, because she did not have the $180 (past due). I will trust Hillary with fixing the economy and allowing us all to live with dignity and respect.
    Clinton raised us up but Bush has us entrenched in a trillion $ deficit ! Forget the personals about candidates. Jefferson, Eisenhower, Kennedy, Roosevelt, and others had their scruples, but we looked at their abilities , experience and prudence. As independent voters, we need not have amnesia about our country's past economy. Many presidents failed because of campaign rhetoric; they could not deliver the goods. We cannot afford to give someone a chance because he or she speaks well. 'Some' took a risk with Pres Bush and look what's happened to us. Pray about what you are saying out loud!

January 9, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  24. James Charlotte, NC

The crying isn't what P'd me off... it was how she started dissing Obama WHILE her voice was still "breaking"

January 9, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  25. watching and waiting

What is disturbing in the coverage of the so-called "emotional response" of Mrs. Clinton is that people would use that as a reason to vote for her. Had that been a man , his campaign would have been toast. As a woman, I feel embarassed that she would have to stoop so low (I do not for a minute think that her response was anything but pre-planned since she has been criticized excessively as being too cold) to garner votes.

The margin separating Obama and Clinton was not that great....and given the fact that many independents voted for McCain (who I do not think is a viable candidate....too old, too sickly, and too unpredictable for the Republican Party) I believe that Obama would have picked up those"change votes" had McCain not been running.

In the end, Clinton will not get the nomination because the sentiment in the country is for change. She does not represent change, rather, she represents the same old politics. Those who feel that she will be crucified by whatever Republican gets the nomination are correct in that her "experience" will be fair game (after all, she has brought that up) and the failures particularly of the Clinton foreign policy which led to the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq will be their focus (and rightly so). The Democrats do not want to be reminded ofBill Clinton's failure in that regard nor the fact that his authorization of the bombing he ordered.

January 9, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |