January 9th, 2008

Voter who made Clinton teary picked Obama

The CNN Ticker

Marianne Pernold Young looks on Monday after asking a question that led Hillary Clinton to tears.

(CNN) – Many political observers are crediting Democrat Hillary Clinton's surprise win in New Hampshire to the New York senator's rare display of emotion at a Portsmouth Coffee shop Monday morning.

But Clinton's tearful moment failed to win at least one Granite State voter - the very woman who prompted her response in the first place.

Marianne Pernold-Young told CNN Wednesday she ultimately picked Barack Obama in Tuesday night's primary because of the Illinois senator's performance at a recent rally she attended.

"I was moved to tears. Not once, but twice," she said. "And he has this enormous electricity. And I was just taken aback. And I just had to go with my feelings." (Video: Young speaks on American Morning)

On Monday, Young asked Clinton how she was holding up under the rigors of a presidential campaign - an inquiry that cause the presidential candidate's eyes to well up and voice to tremble.

"It's not easy, and I couldn't do it if I just didn't, you know, passionately believe it was the right thing to do," a teary Clinton said. "You know, I have so many opportunities from this country, I just don't want to see us fall backwards." (Video: Clinton gets emotional)

The moment instantly became the most-covered event on the campaign trail on the day before the critical New Hampshire primary, drawing praise from some who said Clinton had finally bared her true self to voters. The next day, Clinton won among voters who said a candidate who "cares about people" is most important (a category John Edwards won in Iowa.)

Young told CNN she herself was touched by the event, though it was not enough to convince her to support Clinton.

"I was very touched and I was totally in awe that she would open up to us, all of us there," Young said. "But it was a delicate matter."

On CNN's American Morning, Clinton wouldn't speculate whether the moment had put her over the top in the Granite State the night before, but said, "I'm really glad that I had a chance to say what I believe with all of my heart, that politics isn't a game, it's not a horse race. It's about people's lives." (Video: Hillary Clinton on American Morning)

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. harold

The woman who voted ultimately for obama is really funny! really debth to the thinking, huh?

January 9, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  2. Lisa

Reading all these comments, seeing all the Hillary-haters out there...now I want to vote for her. She gets it if she shows no emotion and if she shows some. She can't win, but the way everyone in this discussion is talking, she does pose a threat. Yesterday, no one in the media gave her a snowballs chance, but she came out on top. Forget Survivor and the Amazing Race...this election is turning out to be the best reality show on television. Writers, keep striking...I've got the news.

January 9, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  3. Dil of nyc

no! many of you got it wrong that its the tears who made her win,
    she won NH because she was going to Win in NH.

obama couldn't win in NH, Plain truth.

& if Voters keep on picking smart choice & I hope rest of us remaining in other states are lot smarter than Iowa bunch, We are going to have a long lasting solution from experienced Clintons (domestic, economical, foreign affairs mess by bush(es) is too wiggly to be cleaned by rookies)

January 9, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  4. Scott, Madison, WI

I agree, Hillary, I don't want to see the country fall back either. Not even to the last decade during your first ruined dynasty when you gave birth to dirty, divisive politics and the decline began. You will not be settling old political scores – with your husband or your enemies – on my back, Mrs. Clinton! And, if those years were so great, what the hell is George Bush doing in the castle?

January 9, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  5. john williams san diego, ca.

Wayne from Greenville has proven that being active in Demodratic politics at the age of seven can lead to a brain disorder such as liberalism

January 9, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  6. Larry Carder

The best way to get the economy to move forward, is to have everyone paying their fair share of the taxes. The middle class are paying their fair share. Are large corporations and wealthy individuals paying their fair share of the taxes? Hillary Clinton is the best person for the job. After all she assisted Bill Clinton with his 1993 500 billion dollar balance budget. Investments took off!

What budget did Barack Obama every balance?

January 9, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  7. Bob

I think the major lesson is that you can't trust the pollsters. You have to trust average people like this woman and your gut instinct. That's why I'm such a fan of sites like Fit to be President (http://ww.fittobepres.com) and others like it that let voters measure the candidates by more than just numbers.

January 9, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  8. Mary

I would like to make a comment but every time I do I get this message from CNN saying that my message is waiting to be modified. See?

Do any of you know why that is? Have I been tagged as some kind of nut or something? I've never posted any thing derogatory.

January 9, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  9. CHERIAN THOMAS

Hillary will get the nomination because she is the best.If the senate and congress on her side she could do wonderful things like health insurance for all,help college students, economy is down because of the Iraq war, pull out of Iraq, the war is eating up all our money, Bill Clinton will be her principal advisor who will help her to balance the budget and to be friendly with foreign countries, Dollar value is down Why?

January 9, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  10. Missouri/The Show Me State

I guess Obama need to choke up and cry too in order to win. If Hilary wins will she announce her husband Bill as choice for vice president?

January 9, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  11. Heidi

Voting for Clinton, simply because she is a woman, is behavior which must be squashed! Voting for Obama, simply because he is of African descent, is behavior which must be squashed!

For years I have voted for the 'lesser of the two evils" – I did not vote for Bush, he is EVIL. And, for the first time ever, I am voting for an individual I want to be my President = Obama.

Our nation is beyond the Neanderthal-days or ol'. Most of us are voting for the person we feel will clean-up the mess Bush has left behind. I personally feel if Clinton is our next President, we will be in a worse mess come 2012, so VOTE FOR OBAMA

January 9, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  12. Lance

I used to love and Support the Clintons but somehow, they manage to have lots of negative controversy amongst them. I do agree that we need a female president at some point but i feel that Hillary Clinton is just not that woman.
    I just dont feel that she is genuine and that somehow her campaign is so controversial with issues such as negative comments about Barack Obama, having individuals in her audience hand picked for question and answer sessions, and riding on her experience to lead. It just doesnt feel real.
    I think the Clintons have had thier turn. Its time for someone else to lead our country in a different direction i think.
    Here is another analogy;

Bush, Clinton, Clinton, Bush – Clinton.................

Thats bad, bad, and very very suspicious

January 9, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  13. NewPatriot-Arizona

bush,clinton,bush,clinton AGAIN?

January 9, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  14. kimdy

I think all the people blathering about how Hillary can "unite" people, and can "sway the republicans" to her side are really not looking at the whole picture here. The Republicans HATE Hillary, and to an extent, Bill. They spent the entire 8 years of Bill's presidency doing everything they could to stymie the administration, block progress, appoint prosecutors, open investigations, belittle, beleaguer, and otherwise halt anything progressive. Hillary was a large focus of all the above, just as much as Bill. They're wetting thier pants at the prospect of getting to do so again with Hillary. What, in the WORLD, makes you think that someone as universally disliked across the aisle could ever, in a million years, get anything done with all the obstacles that will be put in her way, all the genuine loathing that they feel for her, etc. I'm sure she'd be a fine President, in a better world – But we don't live in a better world, and they're not suddenly going to give up hating her if she wins. And yes, Republicans like to stymie all Democrats, and visa versa, but there's a particularly hungry loathing for the Clintons. NOTHING will get done, just more insults, more partisanship, more abuse, more finger pointing, more blocking things just because... I cringe at the thought. At least Obama has quite a bit of respect across the aisle. Of all the folks running, when looked at realistically, he's the only one I think COULD reach out, and with that quiet, but firm voice, get the oppostion to "go along"... It scares me to think of another 4 or 8 years with all the partisan, angry, hatred of "gotta get the Clintons" no matter what happens to the rest of the country in the meantime.

January 9, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  15. La'Kitgum, Concorde, NH

Nevada will obviously go for Clinton as Culinary employees vote individually in droves for her.

The truth is coming out. Starting NH, Americans are beginning to understand that in politics, endogenous is more important than exogenous – that reality and fact are more important than rhetoric and body language or charisma without substance. Americans are beginning to understand that Hillary stands for what the President of the USA should be and not Obama with his empty promises. Obama's leadership leaves a lot more questions to be answered but foremost, how can he be an agent of change without experience? How can he change what he does not know? How can he change what he does not have? Experience in economy, healthcare and security are all in Hillary's bag and Hillary can change them for the good of all America. Obama has a bag of experience but it is empty. He has nothing to change.

My prayers and Best wishes to Hillary and I urge all Americans (black, white, oriental, hispanic) to support Clinton because they will never regret their votes. We did it in NH. NH understands that it is issues, not body language, which stands out in this campaign and Hillary is all about issues. Listen to her carefully instead of cheering at her and you will understand just like the people of NH did – the issues matter,

January 9, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  16. Maryionetta

Clinton and Giulliani will win NY, California, Florida, Pennsylvania. That is a given. I actually dont even care who wins, but all this media coverage about a contested race is ridiculous. I feel bad for the mcCain, Obama, Romney supporters who have false hopes becaus ethe media is trying to create a race.

January 9, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  17. Rod

Are You Canadian?

January 9, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  18. virginia nielsen

I can't stand this narrow minded people that think that the world is set between North, South, West Coast and East Coast of America !!! Go back to the maps and you're going to see that's much bigger !!! We're going to have to deal with another nations !!! Our international image got bad with Bush... we need to take back our natural leadership and I can't imagine Hillary crying during negotiations with Middle East, Israel, Palestine, Iran etc... We need a wise bright man like Sen. Barack Obama, that LIVED abroad for many years because of his mother's job and when he served in the Piece Corps. That's international experience, seeing real people and their problems every day !!! OBAMA 2008

January 9, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  19. Jonathan Lewis

It's funny. All these blogs have GOT to be coming from one of those 18-24 age groups that's embracing Obama so passionately and affording him all those votes. You know, the young, wet-behind-the-ear ones, still enjoying the aftertaste of Similac, who at this age probably barely watch the news, haven't experienced very much themselves, and were way too young to even understand and learn the change she was making before Obama was even a thought in the Senate. Stop throwing stones at Hillary and realize that a simple HUMAN show of emotion didn't help her, it reconnected her to people, just as Obama is doing with all of his supporters with his inspirational rhetoric fashioned by Bobby Kennedy and MLK. After all, that's really the only ammunition he can run on, no matter how hypnotic and enticing to everybody- because it certainly can't be experience!

January 9, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  20. Jerry Calendine

Heaven help us if we get Hillary in White House. I guess next time we get hit by terrorists, Hillary and Oprah can lead a good cry session to make us all feel better.

January 9, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  21. j shultz

There's several issues here.

1. None of the other candidates on either side have a former president that comes to their aid when they get in trouble with a campaign. The ex- president I'm sure picked up the phone on Sunday and Monday and called his political machine to get out the vote. THAT'S CALLED HARD CORE POLITICS AND WASHINGTON BUSINESS AS USUAL................... NOT CHANGE>

2. Let Hillary run her own campaign as the others are doing..... on both sides of the aisle. Nobody has crowned her the heir apparent and we certainly do not want to disquise her running as a THIRD TERM FOR BILL CLINTON> That is what I saw on Tuesday night. The party of change cannot think that we will win by trying to trick people. They (The Clintons) did a great job of that on Tuesday.......... SHAME ON NEW HAPMSHIRE for falling for the Cliton "fairy tale.

3. I'm sure that everybody feels badly that Hillary cried. I'll bet the terrorist feel badly also???? If she wants to be a real President she has to deal with the real issues and not expect Bill to bail her out. This is the real world ...we want change
    What occurred Tuesday was politics as usual. I respect the voters that weren't afraid to cast ballots for CHANGE.........not one of fear of change and concern about hurting someone's feelings. THAY"S RIDICULES!!!

January 9, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  22. John

It did not take Obama long before he took his campaign negative and into the dirt! I am sure he will do so in Michigan and South Carolina. I hope his upcoming trashing of Senator Clinton backfires on him.

January 9, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  23. Rod

Question For Mary.

Are you Canadian?

January 9, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  24. itgirl

This woman is unreal , she is a ice queen with selective amnesia. Her and Bill seem to have forgotten some things, or enough to treat Obama the way they have.
    It is funny how how short the American attention span is. How forgetful we can be if it keeps us in our comfort zone. It seems we really do not want to know the truth , when it is slapping us in the face.
    The Clintons consistent behavior toward Obama shows me all I need to know. Actions always speak louder, a pie hole can run for days.

January 9, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  25. Anna, Cleveland, OH

I think that anyone who believes those crocodile "tears" of Hilary is a FOOL:() Everyone should know that Hilary "cried" because she knew she was losing to a smart BLACK MAN! YES I SAID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And i'm not afraid to say it again a BLACK MAN! First of all i am black and secondly it's just plain obvious!

Just for the record i am 13 years old. Anyone who is this young and can see right through Hilary...well we know there is something wrong. Don't you think?

P.S. Oh by the way, how is your love(directed to Mr. Clinton)?

January 9, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |