January 9th, 2008

Voter who made Clinton teary picked Obama

The CNN Ticker

Marianne Pernold Young looks on Monday after asking a question that led Hillary Clinton to tears.

(CNN) – Many political observers are crediting Democrat Hillary Clinton's surprise win in New Hampshire to the New York senator's rare display of emotion at a Portsmouth Coffee shop Monday morning.

But Clinton's tearful moment failed to win at least one Granite State voter - the very woman who prompted her response in the first place.

Marianne Pernold-Young told CNN Wednesday she ultimately picked Barack Obama in Tuesday night's primary because of the Illinois senator's performance at a recent rally she attended.

"I was moved to tears. Not once, but twice," she said. "And he has this enormous electricity. And I was just taken aback. And I just had to go with my feelings." (Video: Young speaks on American Morning)

On Monday, Young asked Clinton how she was holding up under the rigors of a presidential campaign - an inquiry that cause the presidential candidate's eyes to well up and voice to tremble.

"It's not easy, and I couldn't do it if I just didn't, you know, passionately believe it was the right thing to do," a teary Clinton said. "You know, I have so many opportunities from this country, I just don't want to see us fall backwards." (Video: Clinton gets emotional)

The moment instantly became the most-covered event on the campaign trail on the day before the critical New Hampshire primary, drawing praise from some who said Clinton had finally bared her true self to voters. The next day, Clinton won among voters who said a candidate who "cares about people" is most important (a category John Edwards won in Iowa.)

Young told CNN she herself was touched by the event, though it was not enough to convince her to support Clinton.

"I was very touched and I was totally in awe that she would open up to us, all of us there," Young said. "But it was a delicate matter."

On CNN's American Morning, Clinton wouldn't speculate whether the moment had put her over the top in the Granite State the night before, but said, "I'm really glad that I had a chance to say what I believe with all of my heart, that politics isn't a game, it's not a horse race. It's about people's lives." (Video: Hillary Clinton on American Morning)

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Tom Dedham, Mass

So Wayne I am supposed to believe that you are so politically astute that you can figure someone's political party by this single posting of:

James January 9, 2008 2:36 pm ET

what a bunch of crock. I don't believe that for one second.
    -------------------------

Your right, you forgot more than me, you are a genius clairvoyant.

I will never question your thoughtful and non-biased postings again.

I get my share of props on this site by being reasoned and factual whether they agree with the argument or not.

I also have been involved with political campaigns as an ADULT and along with journalism I also took up political science in college.

Your Mom sounds like she was good people, both my folks were supporters of the only decent Kennedy as well, they liked him so much they named my little brother after him.

Look forward to discussing with you simply the issues.

January 9, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  2. enlightened

Are some so naive as to find the new found crying game legit? I find it hard to believe that some forget this is the same candidate that was outed for having a "plant" in the audience to ask just the right question. Is it really that hard of a stretch to imagine she did it for effect? Really?

If any here honestly like what she stands for it is your duty to vote for her. I do not, so i won't. I only plead that no one votes for her just because she is a woman. That would be disheartening to know.

January 9, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  3. Shell

She didn't cry. Her voice broke and her eyes glassed over a bit.

She wants to lead this country because she's seen it go to pot in the last 7 years of an awful administration. She's been given so much as a citizen of this great land and wants to give back. What's so unbelievable about being overcome with emotion when talking about that? She's been doing things to help people and advocate change since she was a young woman fresh out of college.

She can't win with the people who don't like her. She's either too hard or too weak. A strong man is fantastic and powerful but a strong woman is a witch. A man that shows emotion is sensitive, but a woman who does the same is weak. I'm so tired of the double standard, it's disgusting.

I support Hillary because of what I believe she can do to turn this country around. I've done a lot of research on all candidates (including Republicans). She's the only one with an agenda I can support and an action plan behind it.

Obama is a lot of talk and no substance. I will support him if he gets the nom because I can't bring myself to support a Republican. I might be more inclined to support him over Clinton if he could do more than give a rousing speech about the kind of changes we need. That's great, but HOW? How are you going to do it Senator? Lay out a plan in front of me, and I just might change my mind.

January 9, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  4. Tony

The media discussion often centers on "winner" and "loser" and so-called "momentum", but the actual vote count does matter, not just who received the most votes. How many people understand that Obama and Clinton TIED for delegate count in New Hampshire? I really feel that the delegate count in each primary should be included in the excellent graphic presentations and information presented by CNN. This would help voters, especially in upcoming primaries, understand better what their vote is doing. The Democratic Primaries are proportional, not 'winner-take-all.' –and this distinction is important to know when considering poll numbers and the consequences for one's first choice.

January 9, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  5. Bill W - PA

"My wife, an Obama supporter, voted for Clinton because she felt sorry for her "as a woman." Because "Obama was going to win anyway,"

Yeah, that's the mindset that won it for Hillary. The new media made a big deal of his 10 point lead, she cried, and the women felt sorry for the other woman and gave her the vote. I'm sure Bill's speech had something to do with it, too.

This is what we all need to be careful of. You can't assume anyone "is going to win" because of what the news says. They only win if people actually go and vote.

I still have a problem with electronic voting machines, especially when people who are trailing by double digits pull off a "miraculous-come-from-behind-win" that flies in the face of polls and exit polling. These machines contain computers, and as a programmer, I know computers can have their programs altered and hijacked. It has proven repeatedly these machines can be rigged, and it doesn't take alot to do it. I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that a strategic percentage of these electronic voting machines have been rigged.

January 9, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  6. SGUDE

I am surprised at all these people who are levelling all sorts of names and inuendos at Hillary Clinton.
    Gentlemen, show me a candidate who truly cares for the people, and has proved she will do so by real action. There are others who are all talk and no action, All Hope and no real agenda.I know. iI have seen her work for our state (NY).
    Hillary is a very caring person. She will be a great President and great American.

SJG

January 9, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  7. Jane

The candidate of US President can't show her weak emotion.She can't tears infront of full voters and the world.She don't have a capability to lead superpower country.She don't have inner strength and easily crack under pressure.She is not a Margaret Tatcher type but acting more like Barbie Dolls.One for sure if she elected she will follow the line of Bush.
    No change at all.

January 9, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  8. Ann

kimdy.....I don't care how much the Republicans hate Hillary.

I've lived with their win for 8 years.

And that's 8 years longer than I personally feel is just.

So I can't wait for them to hate the next 8 years.

What goes round, comes round.

January 9, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  9. Terri in NYC

So, she's been categorized for her entire political life as 'cold and calculating' and in one natural moment, it's 'can she not cry under pressure'...

Misogyny and sexism...are alive and well in the USA.

January 9, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  10. Chris, Orlando, FL

Nobody knows whether Hillary was being sincere or not, except for Hillary. So all you psychics on this blog who are calling her bluff need to shut up. Interestingly enough, most of you seem to be Obama supporters, which begs the question: Why aren't you at cheerleading practice?

January 9, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  11. HILLARY GO HOME

I BELIEVE SHE IS LIER, POWER AND MONEY HUNGRY, SHE IS NOT FOR THE WHITE HOUSE, SHE SHOULD BE HOME TAKING CARE OF HER DOG.

January 9, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  12. Ken Harris

Can anyone outline all of Hillary's experience compared to Obama's? Please remember to discount all the first Lady stuff. I could almost handle the comparing and contrasting based on experience from another candidate, but not HRC. Give me a break! As for her idiot husband stumping for her on the same day we're all being told that the campaign is now only about HRC and not Bill, could it get any more hypocritical when he's out there stumping for her with the whole The-Media-Hates-The-Clintons conspiracy nonsense while votes are being cast? It's yet another disgusting example of just low the Clintons will go to get what they want. All you Clinton-supporting sheep, please repeat after me: Hillary Clinton is NOT, I repeat NOT automatically entitled to the Whitehouse just because she lived there once before! She is a pandering fool just like her husband and those of you that can't see are it are truly blind! While definitely not my first choice, I hate HRC so much that if she actually gets the nod as the democratic candidate, I WILL vote GOP!!! And I know for a fact that I am not alone in that opinion. As for those of you who seem to think basing ones vote on what someone tells you through speech and/or interview is a bad idea, grow up. Being able to effectively articulate one's position is one of the more important elements of any leadership role, particularly the presidency. If you need anything to convince you this is true, think about how the rest of the world views our current president and why. Also, have you Obama-haters even read Barack's book, because I have? I would venture to say that 99.9% of those that say he can't talk the issues have never bothered to read his book(s) or heard him interviewed. If you need some sources, let me know; I'm only too happy to help enlighten you. GO BARACK!!!

January 9, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  13. Hope

Tears of Joy when I heard Clinton had won.
    I think alot of old women, told there husbands, get your coat on, your're driving
    me to the polls to vote for Hillary! And they DID! Might be a few had their rolling pins in their hands too!

This truly put a smile on our faces. Obama lost in NH due to his own arrogance. It is his own fault and that of the media protraying him to be like some God. What happened last night was like you know what – who cares what commentators say – who cares what is being written on the papers. You have no control over our minds. What happened yesterday and THANK YOU NH, is that people have enough common sense to vote for a person of action. I am a very proud democrat today. In every sense of the word I am PROUD.

Clinton 08 – WE LOVE YOU!!!!!

January 9, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  14. Zach

So I just got back from the Board of Elections Office. In order to vote in the City of New York Democratic Primary I need to:

1) Live in New York over 30 days

2) Register 25 days before the primary, aka Friday January 11, 2008

3) Be a registered Democrat

I am a registered Republican in Broome County living in NYC and have been for four months. Not a huge problem, as long as I change my registration by Friday, right? But, you are not eligible to vote in a new party's primary the same YEAR you change your party affiliation. Long story short, if I want to vote in the democratic primary I needed to do so back in October...

For all you Democrats out there routing for Obama, make sure you vote in the Primary on February 5th. Clearly the lessons learned from New Hampshire is that nothing is guaranteed. If you want to see real change, and you want your candidate to have a real shot at the White House please vote and make sure you have everything in line to do so.

Don't let the cynicism and doubt and years of being told your vote does not matter discourage you from voting. It is so basic and so fundamentally important in our system of government. Lets restore faith in the electoral process, be proud of our government again, and be grateful to be part of the greatest nation in the world. Give me a chance to vote for Obama in the general election.

January 9, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  15. Chris Aguilar

How could any ever be compelled to vote for someone who can not control their emotions? The fact that she played the emotions card gos to show you that she is not worthy to be president, Im supposed to trust a chic with her finger on the trigger when she crys, oh geez
    Hey Hilary this is for President of the United States not Class President, crying doesnt count. If you coulndt run your household when you were first lady, how can I expect you to run my country.

McCain '08

January 9, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  16. Another John Doe

Listening to Obamas speech last night made me think of a new name for him: blahblahbama....

January 9, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  17. Ken Harris

Hey Terri in NYC: Good point, except that her "natural moment" came right after her advisors told her it needed to! Wake up folks! It's HRC that's taking us for a ride, not Obama!

January 9, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  18. Tree

Funny for all you folks who saying Obama isn't defining his change message or his word mean nothing so forth and so on , let me explain it in elementary form since you do not have comprehension skills. DEM, REP and the AMERICAN PEOPLE coming together to regain our country prosperity, pride and respect. Is the the rest of the country as stupid as the majority in New hampshire it's call comprehension. Common sense if you are planning to reach across party line to get the rep to help with the new direction why would you voice a plan during the primaries and sound like a clinton but yet she wants to unite the party but she already have a laid plan of attack, you know what this tells me she going to use the majority in the house and senate to push her agenda regardless of the American people or Rep. Same old politic same old bickering nothing getting done for America or its people. I'm an independed but I would sit this one out before I vote for a phony like Hillary.

Hear their words.

You can't put a price on common sense.

January 9, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  19. Jay Graham, Dallas, TX

Whatever comments these Hillary haters posted on this blog, its of no use now. Hillary kicked the butt of every pundit and media experts by winning against all odds. This is a common practice of the big media to uphold someone when he or she is on the top. And when they are proved wrong, twist all the stories, make a negative propoganda so that they will be right on track on the next event. This lady Ms Young who asked the question to Hillary felt emotional that instant, turned around attended Obama and felt electrified. She must be either cold hearted person or an Obama supporter who wanted a media attention. One one side she feels warmth and compassionate side of Hillary, but then carried away by Obama's oratory. The action of this phony lady is strengthening my support for Hillary more. My and other supporter's vote will prove that US is not that behind rest of the world in selecting a competant and a qualified WOMAN president.

January 9, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  20. Ann

Fear, fear, fear........You guys are letting the Republicans set the Democratic agenda when you decide that the name, Clinton, will usher in Republican backlash.

I hope it does.

Goodness knows, this entire election is about backlash against just that sentiment.

The Republicans are dead in the water. I honestly never read any articles about their race.

They only got into office through dirty, underhanded slime tactics.

And they need to deal with that.

If that's what the Republicans are all about, and they try it again?

Good riddance. They'll go the way of the Whigs.

January 9, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  21. Wayne, Greenville TX

john williams san diego, ca. January 9, 2008 4:08 pm ET

Wayne from Greenville has proven that being active in Demodratic politics at the age of seven can lead to a brain disorder such as liberalism

Much better than the brain disorder called neo-conservatism, where the brain stops functioning completely and you have to listen to Limbaugh, Hannity, Levin, and the others to find out what your opinion is.

January 9, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  22. Bob

To Randall:
    You need to be smarter than that guy. Your driving me to tears. (Laughing Tears)
    Look what we have for a President now.
    The guy can't pass a 5th grade I.Q. test.
    Enough Said.

January 9, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  23. Hope

I feel it is very unfair that CNN is clearly pro-Obama, and I strongly recommend that people listen and watch BBC News for the election. Although it is very refreshing to hear Obama's whole "Hope and Change" speech, I am just not convinced that he has an effective and practical plan or strategy to actually deliver hope and change to our country. Please remember delivering an excellent speech is not enough to be the president of United states. Let's be realistic.

Also, Hillary being a woman should not have any thing to do with the election. People vote for her because they believe she will do well with the country not because she is a woman. I certainly believe men and women have their differences but we all deserve equal opportunities.

Congrats to Hillary Clinton!

January 9, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  24. OBAMA SUX

CNN is trying to make Bama broke. He's finished. None of the big states will vote for him. She has NY, FL and CA in the bag. Throw the guy a bone, give him SC. Clinton is already whipping him in superdelegates, no report on that CNN? Hmmm.

January 9, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  25. JP, Austin, TX

Who cares how Marianne Pernold Young voted? I mean c'mon - her question about "who does Hillary's hair" doesn't really suggest she's some great intellect, now does it?

January 9, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |