January 9th, 2008

Voter who made Clinton teary picked Obama

The CNN Ticker

Marianne Pernold Young looks on Monday after asking a question that led Hillary Clinton to tears.

(CNN) – Many political observers are crediting Democrat Hillary Clinton's surprise win in New Hampshire to the New York senator's rare display of emotion at a Portsmouth Coffee shop Monday morning.

But Clinton's tearful moment failed to win at least one Granite State voter - the very woman who prompted her response in the first place.

Marianne Pernold-Young told CNN Wednesday she ultimately picked Barack Obama in Tuesday night's primary because of the Illinois senator's performance at a recent rally she attended.

"I was moved to tears. Not once, but twice," she said. "And he has this enormous electricity. And I was just taken aback. And I just had to go with my feelings." (Video: Young speaks on American Morning)

On Monday, Young asked Clinton how she was holding up under the rigors of a presidential campaign - an inquiry that cause the presidential candidate's eyes to well up and voice to tremble.

"It's not easy, and I couldn't do it if I just didn't, you know, passionately believe it was the right thing to do," a teary Clinton said. "You know, I have so many opportunities from this country, I just don't want to see us fall backwards." (Video: Clinton gets emotional)

The moment instantly became the most-covered event on the campaign trail on the day before the critical New Hampshire primary, drawing praise from some who said Clinton had finally bared her true self to voters. The next day, Clinton won among voters who said a candidate who "cares about people" is most important (a category John Edwards won in Iowa.)

Young told CNN she herself was touched by the event, though it was not enough to convince her to support Clinton.

"I was very touched and I was totally in awe that she would open up to us, all of us there," Young said. "But it was a delicate matter."

On CNN's American Morning, Clinton wouldn't speculate whether the moment had put her over the top in the Granite State the night before, but said, "I'm really glad that I had a chance to say what I believe with all of my heart, that politics isn't a game, it's not a horse race. It's about people's lives." (Video: Hillary Clinton on American Morning)

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Maria Davis

I agree with those who think it's a bunch of BS. I don't think there's anything wrong with crying if it's genuine. However, her tears seemed so phony to me, if anything, I think she cried because she thought she was going to lose to Obama! But did anyone notice that at her win speach she was the same old errogant and hard as nails Hillary that we all know? She claims that Obama doesn't have enough experience to win, but I think that's exactly who we need for president. Someone that is not corrupted and carries all the luggage like Hillary does. Personally, I will vote for Obama, if he loses to her, I will vote for anyone else but HER!!!

January 9, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  2. Dave Colorado

Come on CNN- Who is Marianne Penfold-Young and why should we care about who she votes for.

Why are you making her a celebrity. Was she a war hero, a civil rights activitist, someone America should know.

January 9, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  3. Jo

Speaking of Obama – "I was moved to tears. Not once, but twice," she said. "And he has this enormous electricity. And I was just taken aback. And I just had to go with my feelings."

So these people are swayed by a presidential candidate because they have "enourmous electricity" and they are moved by tears... I quess thats why we have the electorial collage – because idiots like this. How about voting for the most qualified person to do the job!

January 9, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  4. Tom, Minneapolis

What is wrong with America? Since 1988 until 2008, the government that impacts my life and yours has been ran by only 2 families, the Bush's and the Clinton's. Have Americans been happy with the past 20 years? In 1988, I was 10 years old, and now I'm 30. It's just so hard to believe that all those years, that may include 4 more years, if Clinton gets elected have been controlled by 2 families. This nation is about balance of power so no one part of the government gets too corrupt, a democracy built for the achievement of the American dream for all. Let's give that dream and the reins to someone else to provide a different direction for once. Maybe life can be better than what it's been in the last 20 years, because it can't get any worse. I'm an independent and encourage all of you to vote for someone else other than a Clinton or a Bush clone. It's not experience that I'm looking for in a President; it's leadership which the last 3 Presidents have lacked.

January 9, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  5. Mike

What a crock and a cover-up. This was yet another planned moment by the Clinton campaign, with this woman asking a planted question so that Hillary could put on this stage performance right at the end of the event and leave the audience with exactly the kind of sympathetic reaction that fooled so many New Hampshire voters. Pundits said she came across as too shrill and harsh-sounding at Saturday's debate, so this was clearly a desperation move to soften her image.

And the cover-up? Have this woman tell the media she wound up voting for Obama so there would be no reason to question whether she was in on it. The saddest part of all is that it worked.

January 9, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  6. Tired of Obama's Changes

After listening to Obama's 2nd place speech last night there's no doubt he's for "change". He's changing every time he speaks. Last night he attempted to sound like Martin Luther King Jr., and even ran an extremely fine line of "activist" envoking JFK, etc.

I have questions for Senator Obama: "Why haven't you commented on Kenya? and the violence that has taken place there and discussed your call to your Cousin?" You want to show you have leadership then tell us about your "strategy" regarding Kenya's violence and now, what do you think about the "Iran" vs U.S. Navy event? Please enlighten us Senator with your "experience" in Foriegn Relations.

After your speech last night you can count me out. Go back and teach or spend some additional time in the Senate and LEARN.

January 9, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  7. fedup

CNN called the voter, the voter didn't call in! What was the price. I dare CNN to include this. I was with the voter, I should know!

January 9, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  8. Ken Harris

Hey Hope: I bet you weren't complaining back in the day when CNN was reported to be favoring the Clintons! In fact, CNN has usually favored the Clintons as far as some are concerned. Talk about a bunch of hypocritical cry babies. Geeez...

January 9, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  9. Jeanine G

All Hillary showed me was that she was doing what she promised not to....play the "gender card".

SHE CRIED.

And to my view she was saying it was passion for the nation but all it looked like to me was frustration at seeing her ambitions, possibly, slipping away and playing a girlie moment to show her softness.

To Paraphrase Tom Hanks in A League of their Own...."There's no CRYING in politics!"

January 9, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  10. Mark, Chicago, IL

So what? Why doesn't the media stick to covering the issues and the plans that each candidate proposes to get this country back on track. The media, journalists and television really ought to get a reality check. The instigate a circus atmosphere rather than a reasoned and rationale view of politics.

January 9, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  11. Bob

Go Billary...!!

This girl will do just about anything to impress voters. I been reported that Billary has ben practicing the ""Mexican Hat Dance"" to Impress Latinos in Vegas..

wow...

Go Billary.. go ... go ... go away..!!

January 9, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  12. HILLARY GO HOME

It's amazing how Hillary has influenced the brain of many people and unfortunately many women, come on! There is nothing bad in elect a woman as a president, but not Hillary Clinton, she has a dirty background. I rather to be governed by Minnie Mouse, at leat she makes me smile LOL

January 9, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  13. Cathy

People need to stop viewing this as the "first woman president" vs the "first black president." Casting a vote for or against them for either reason is the absolute last thing anyone should do.

It's about the issues - Clinton, Edwards, and Obama aren't all that different on the issues.

It's about experience - IN AN ELECTED OFFICE. Which all three of them do have, making the experience issue moot to start with. (Being elected First Mrs. of Arkansas does not count as political experience.)

It's about personality - not having a leader you'd want to have a beer with, but having a leader you won't be embarassed to have speaking at your child's graduation in 20 years. (If they're alive by then. Sorry, McCain and Ron Paul.)

It's about repairing the face of America to the world. Everyone outside the US and 2/3 of the people in it are pretty miffed at Bush & Co. right now. You have to select someone that sends a positive message to the world - look guys, we screwed up, but we're fixing it. We're not afraid of a name or a race or an upbringing. We cannot claim to be the beacon of democracy in the world if we don't give someone an opportunity that our constitution allows.

And for those folks who keep screaming OMGBIAS!!! at CNN's political ticker, please do keep in mind that the reporters who feed our hungry poltiical minds are not biased toward any candidate; they're trying to present as many sides of the story as they can, which means focusing stories on different people at different times. I'm not surprised that we're seeing so little about the Republicans because there's honestly not that many exciting things on the other side this cycle, especially not compared to the Obama Clinton circus.

January 9, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  14. jackson

To all the voters who chose Hillary because she got soft for 3 seconds, you should never vote again.

To all the voters who chose Obama because he's charismatic, you should never vote again.

Fair is fair. :)

January 9, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  15. ZIGAFUSE in Belton, SC

I have to say, CNN's Candy Crowley has had this demeaning, somber, and unexcited tone about Hillary, while the rest of the CNN crew is obviosly supporting and rallying behindObama. CNN, please keep it real. I am disappointed.

January 9, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  16. AJ; Montpelier, VT

Shouldnt voting by a private and personal thing? Why is this lady (and I use the term in the broadest possible sense) making he vote public?

January 9, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  17. dennis st. pete, florida

al those who would vote for obama probably voted to re-elect bush. God help us if he wins. also shows opras true colors

January 9, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  18. Not a cry baby

I wouldn't vote for that cry baby Hillary for anything. I think it was sincere for about 20 seconds then you could see the acting kick in. Brother. As a woman who works in a man's field, there is no crying. If you want to be on the same playing field, you can't use tears. That's exactly what Hillary did. She has set middle aged to young women back in the work force. She may have had my vote previously, but NO MORE.

January 9, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  19. Faye

She should win an oscar for her performance not the nomination.

January 9, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  20. Jilly

My old Grandma is voting for Hillary because she wants to see a woman as President.

It doesn't matter who the woman is.

Especially if she cries.

And stomps her foot like a child.

But I WANT to be the President!

ME ME ME

Any body else but her please.

January 9, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  21. Ken Harris

Hey "Tired of Obama's Changes": Right back at ya' sir... Why hasn't HRC commented on Kenya? Every single barb you just through at Obama should be pointed towards her. She has not articulated her position in any more meaningful a manner than Barack on a single issue and you know it; unless you count when Bill's lips are moving. She speaks in generalities and panders to EVERYONE. Why don't you open Barack's book and then report back. In fact, don't bother reading the whole thing, just the first 42 pages... GO OBAMA!!!

January 9, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  22. Sunni

I am sold on Hillary and her tearful act one bit! The woman has been around almost as long as dirt. I do not buy those tears. The woman has lived in the public spot light for years. I AM SICK AND TIRED OF THE HILLARY BILL STATUS QUO. I DON'T WANT THOSE 2 RUNNING THE COUNTRY. THEY NEED TO GO SOMEWHERE ELSE AND CHASE THE SPOTLIGHT. GROW UP HILLARY WE ARE WISE TO YOUR TRICKS

All I know is Barak represents what I feel. A voice that no longer wants to be denied. I am GOING FOR BARAK ALL THE WAY! MAYBE THERE IS A CHANCE FOR THE LITTLE GUY OR GIRL!

January 9, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  23. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

Who's cryin' now?!

January 9, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  24. Frank D

Clinton tears won in NH! Most women moved to console her.

January 9, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  25. Obamas Ancestrial Home?

Has any one even bothered to ask Obama what he would do in Kenya if elected?

Another war torn Nation for the US to stick it's nose into. Thats a scarry thought.

January 9, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |