January 9th, 2008

Voter who made Clinton teary picked Obama

The CNN Ticker

Marianne Pernold Young looks on Monday after asking a question that led Hillary Clinton to tears.

(CNN) – Many political observers are crediting Democrat Hillary Clinton's surprise win in New Hampshire to the New York senator's rare display of emotion at a Portsmouth Coffee shop Monday morning.

But Clinton's tearful moment failed to win at least one Granite State voter - the very woman who prompted her response in the first place.

Marianne Pernold-Young told CNN Wednesday she ultimately picked Barack Obama in Tuesday night's primary because of the Illinois senator's performance at a recent rally she attended.

"I was moved to tears. Not once, but twice," she said. "And he has this enormous electricity. And I was just taken aback. And I just had to go with my feelings." (Video: Young speaks on American Morning)

On Monday, Young asked Clinton how she was holding up under the rigors of a presidential campaign - an inquiry that cause the presidential candidate's eyes to well up and voice to tremble.

"It's not easy, and I couldn't do it if I just didn't, you know, passionately believe it was the right thing to do," a teary Clinton said. "You know, I have so many opportunities from this country, I just don't want to see us fall backwards." (Video: Clinton gets emotional)

The moment instantly became the most-covered event on the campaign trail on the day before the critical New Hampshire primary, drawing praise from some who said Clinton had finally bared her true self to voters. The next day, Clinton won among voters who said a candidate who "cares about people" is most important (a category John Edwards won in Iowa.)

Young told CNN she herself was touched by the event, though it was not enough to convince her to support Clinton.

"I was very touched and I was totally in awe that she would open up to us, all of us there," Young said. "But it was a delicate matter."

On CNN's American Morning, Clinton wouldn't speculate whether the moment had put her over the top in the Granite State the night before, but said, "I'm really glad that I had a chance to say what I believe with all of my heart, that politics isn't a game, it's not a horse race. It's about people's lives." (Video: Hillary Clinton on American Morning)

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. HILLARY GO HOME

Oh by the way.... can anybody make Hillary Clinton anser the question? because she never does.... oh,,,, and make her say or show all the things she has done for 35 years..... which nobody knows.
    HILLARY IS HILLARIOUS!!!

January 9, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  2. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

Personal to Not a cry baby:

I found your pacifier; it was behind your immense, perceived inteelct!

January 9, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  3. faye

Just add me to the Hillary doubters..So staged, her poor me moment..poor, pathetic thing...she might not get to be president...tsk tsk....she will really be crying if she runs out of botox......

January 9, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  4. Ken Harris

Hey jackson: The next time Barack is speaking, either at an event, or during an interview, do yourself a favor and turn up the volume on your TV dude!

January 9, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  5. Captain America

It wasn't how Clinton said what she said, it was what she said. In my opinion what she said hit the nail squarely on the head in regards to what is wrong with America right now and what needs to be done.

In my opinion Obama didn't do such a great job during the debates, but I will grant him the ability to sway votes in a political rally with his fan base around. As for his Change slogan, and changing Washington, well one thing I've learned is, people don't change over night. Great slogan, but reality is far different.

January 9, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  6. tonie

Not a character that I would want to represent me as a President. What is she going to do in the meetings with other leaders...CRY!!!

January 9, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  7. optional

Ahhhh CNN. Of course you sought out the woman who spoke with Clinton about how she held up. And, if that woman had voted for Clinton, would we have heard about it???? Obama has no better nor more vocal or more conveniently-placed supporters than the so-called jounalists (Minus Lou Dobbs) at CNN. You just can't stand that, in spite of all your biased "journalism" , she sorta' kicked his butt!!!
    It certainly has my attention. I have never been a supporter of Clinton before, she has my vote now!

January 9, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  8. Lynne

I love these comments. Which is it, people? Is she too weak and teary, or a calculating evil-doer? Get your propaganda straight, because it's a laughably mixed message you're desperately trying to send.

Hillary is the real deal who can win the election AND do the job. Hype built on an electric smile and a feel-good speech won't fix this country. Know-how, good ideas, guts and determination will, and Hillary's the one who's got all that and then some.

Go Hillary!

January 9, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  9. Gail

What amazes me more than Hillary's tears is the amount of people who fell for them. If any one is watching closely... this particular candidate (and others) uses every opportunity, every second of air time to grab every vote she can by manipulation ( her husband taught her well!). I challange you to pay attention to this! This isn't a contest... It is a position that must be filled by a person who will represent the best interests of the American People across the board! The American people that are of age to vote NEED TO PAY ATTENTION to all the candidates! Listen, Listen, and Listen more! We...THE PEOPLE... are going to make the difference and turn this country around – not ONE President! Get up and make a difference!!! Which candidate -Republician or Democratic, is willing and able to make s#*t happen, has the resourses and support to follow through, all while protecting our ass's from today's world and not getting a kick back from it!!

January 9, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  10. Ken Harris

Hey dennis st. pete, florida: Are you seriously comparing GWB to Barack? Let me guess... You're 14 years old and looking for a reaction...right? Get serious! GO OBAMA!!!

January 9, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  11. Wayne, Greenville TX

Tom Dedham, Mass January 9, 2008 4:17 pm ET

So Wayne I am supposed to believe that you are so politically astute that you can figure someone's political party by this single posting of:

James January 9, 2008 2:36 pm ET

what a bunch of crock. I don't believe that for one second.
    —————————————————————————

Your right, you forgot more than me, you are a genius clairvoyant.

I will never question your thoughtful and non-biased postings again.

I get my share of props on this site by being reasoned and factual whether they agree with the argument or not.

I also have been involved with political campaigns as an ADULT and along with journalism I also took up political science in college.

Your Mom sounds like she was good people, both my folks were supporters of the only decent Kennedy as well, they liked him so much they named my little brother after him.

Look forward to discussing with you simply the issues.

OK, Tom – let's call a truce. I think we've proven that you can't judge another person's political leanings OR their experience on the basis of a single post. It was wrong for me to assume James was a rightie, and it was also wrong for you to assume I was just a no-nothing, snot-nosed kid posting from my mother's basement.

(BTW, my political experience was not limited to that 1960 presidential campaign. I've been a registered Democrat since 1972, when I cast my first vote for George McGovern. I have worked on many different political campaigns over the years – both as a child and an adult. And when I lived in Colorado, I was a precinct co-chair, a member of the Central Committee of my county's Democratic Party, and a delegate to our County Assembly and State Convention.)

January 9, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  12. Paul Casali

Let me tell all of you how weak Hillary Clinton is. When I was a victim and survivor of 9/11 (I worked in Lower Manhattan, so I was THERE), and I was left unemployed for over nine months because companies were moving out of NYC at record pace, it was Senator Hillary Clinton who made sure that people left unemployed were give unemployment benefits IMMEDIATELY. And, it was Senator Hillary Clinton that made sure that we were given those benefits for as long as we needed them. That is not someone who is weak. That is someone who cares about people and implemented REAL CHANGE for people. And it's a heck of a lot more than Rudy Giuliani EVER did for us New Yorkers. If there is anyone involved in this race who is weak, it is you weak-minded people who care about nothing but nice speeches and "likeability." Grow-up, get brains, and think for yourselves. As far as the "Clinton legacy" goes, if that means another 23 million new jobs, record home ownership, the lowest amount of welfare recipients in American history, and the highest budget surplus in American history, then bring it on!

January 9, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  13. Margarita, Los Angeles

YOU GO GIRL…. WOMEN OF THE UNITED STATES… UNITE!!!

IT IS TIME FOR ONE OF US TO BE PRESIDENT. WE KNOW HOW TO TAKE CARE OF OUR OWN HOMES INSTEAD OF SOME OTHER PART OF THE WORLD. SHE IS THE ONLY CANDIDATE THAT LOOKED OVER PRESIDENT CLINTONS SHOULDER AND ALSO HELPED WHILE HE BALANCED THE BUDGET AND GAVE US SURPLUS…. ITS THE ECONOMY STUPIT!!!!!

SHE DID IT BACKWARDS AND IN HEELS....US OLDER LADIES KNOW WHAT THATS ABOUT.

ALL OTHER CANDIDATES NEED ON THE JOB TRAINING, SPECIALLY THAT "JUNIOR" SENATOR. HE MISSED 130 VOTES AND HE SAYS HIS WIFE WON'T EVEN LET HIM RUN AGAIN IF HE DOESN'T WIN THIS TIME.

GO HILL GO!!! THE WOMEN I KNOW WILL SUPPORT YOU AND SO WILL OUT HUSBANDS DON'T BE AFFRAID TO TELL THOSE IDIOTS INCLUDING CNN TO GO POUND SAND.

January 9, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  14. Miss Smith

Did this voter make Hillary Clinton cry? Or has what has happened to our country under Bush, and what needs to be done to fix it make her show emotion?

Thanks CNN for letting us know that the question was not a set-up, and that Hillary answered it from her heart without knowledge that the question was coming!

January 9, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  15. Joshua, Nashville, TN

Black people have had to bear the shame of blackness for centuries in this country, so please don't take it the wrong way when someone says they are unashamedly black – they are just trying to have a little self-respect and combat the ever present feelings of inferiority from the .

I would highly recommend to EVERYONE, especially White Americans, W.E.B Dubois "Souls of Black Folk" to get an understanding of the "double consciousness" I am talking about. It could be enlightening.

January 9, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  16. Wayne, Greenville TX

Brendan H., San Antonio, TX January 9, 2008 4:50 pm ET

Personal to Not a cry baby:

I found your pacifier; it was behind your immense, perceived inteelct!

NOTE TO BRENDAN:

If you're going to make fun of someone's intellect, spell it correctly. ;-)

January 9, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  17. Taylor

How old are some of you people? The name calling strikes me very juinior high. My ideal ticket for the presidency would be Clinton as president and Obama as VP. I think Obama has a lot of enthusiasm and the potential to be a great leader, but he needs more experience first. Eight years of being VP would do him a great deal of good and then he could run for president again after his terms are finished. I just can't support someone who has only been a senator for a few short years.

January 9, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  18. Jose

I'm not an obama supporter but how sweet it is to hear this! If Obama or Edwards tried the crying game (just like the cackle), they'd be finished quicker than Hillary could shed a tear. Hillary isn't tough enough to run the country. She'd be crying every other day about everyone in the world picking on her.

January 9, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  19. Ken Harris

I think those that would vote for Hillary because she is a woman or Barack because he is black are in the margins of this thing. At least, that is what I choose to think. It's more than cool Obama rhetoric; there really is something going on here and it's because of Barack Obama. He does articulate his positions well and people are listening. What's wrong with any of that in an election where playing to the emotions and "getting fired up" is the name of the game. To the Clintonites who seem to think using the word "hope" implies this is how decisions will be made, are you really that desperate? Are the Clintons so worried about this guy that one minute they're trying to emulate his tactics and the next they're tearing him down for them. Truly pathetic!

January 9, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  20. Tim, Cincinnati, OH

Howard Dean had "The Scream" and Hillary Clinton had "The Cry."

Her breakdown pushed thousands of women in NH to flock to Hillary's defense. It may not have been a stunt, but it was a turning point that handed her the election.

If you are a male running against her, know that she'll play the female card any time she needs to and it will bring her votes.

January 9, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  21. Larry Carder

Hey maybe when all this is over, Barack Obama will move to Iowa and run for governor! Just a thought.

January 9, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  22. Garrett

2+2= 5 right? This proves that the vote count was fraudulent. Get real people!!!

January 9, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  23. Jeanine G

I'm imagining Obama will do, actively, for Kenya what Kennedy did for Northern Ireland....nothing but ask for peace. A call for peace talks.

Not much scary in asking for peace, in my opinion.

I am totally amazed by this preception some people seem to be nursing that Obama is less American then they are.

I think its scarier that some people still support a war with a country that was started by a man whose Daddy didn't win Part 1 of the book, instead of keeping his eye on the ball in Afghanistan and finding Bin Laden.

January 9, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  24. Charles

I keep hearing that Obama's supporters want change – but they sure sound like good old fashion mud-slingers to me.

January 9, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  25. lbr, jersey city, nj

this is true. this is what this woman did. according to her she cried twice while listening to Obama's speech. She said it was so electricfying. What Speech?????the way he delivers his Speech???? His speech is non sense. If you really listen carefully to what he says, there's no sense to it. it is very shallow. He is not emphasizing on what he will do in case America needs a REAL Commander In Chief.

So people vote for him becase he delivers a good speech. What about the real issues??? He is not attacking the real issues. He is not a sensitive person. Because if he is he could have help his Father's family in Kenya long before he wants to be president. He is just so ambitious, that's all.

January 9, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |