January 10th, 2008

Ron Paul '90s newsletters rant against blacks, gays

This is a copy of one of the Ron Paul Political Report newsletters, which has stirred controversy.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - A series of newsletters in the name of GOP presidential hopeful Ron Paul contain several racist remarks - including one that says order was restored to Los Angeles after the 1992 riots when blacks went "to pick up their welfare checks."

CNN recently obtained the newsletters - written in the 1990s and one from the late 1980s - after a report was published about their existence in the New Republic.

None of the newsletters CNN found says who wrote them, but each was published under Paul's name between his stints as a U.S. congressman from Texas.

Related video: Paul: 'I'm not a racist'

Full story

– CNN's Brian Todd

Filed under: Ron Paul
  1. Phil Memphis, TN

And the truth comes out. Never trust a Republican candidate in this day and age. they are all hiding a skeleton, and are all cut from the same cloth.

January 10, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  2. NewPatriot-Arizona

BRAN TODD -

WHY DON'T HAVE SOMETHING BETTER TO WRITE ... LIKE DIEBOLD VOTING FRAUD! RON PAUL IS NOT A RACIST! CNN JUST LIKES TO STIR UP THE POT BUT DOESN'T NOT LIKE TO CHECK ITS OWN INCOMPETENCE!

January 10, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  3. FedUp

Where are you Ron Paul supporters? This must be humiliating to you guys.

I really hope he drops out of the race now. Enough of Ron Paul.

January 10, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  4. mike

anyone who thinks this is "news" is a moron.

did you notice the amazing timing of this article? it's a political hit piece! it's distorted "news" that has been rehashed for over a decade and sadly enough shallow people might actually believe this nonsense.

January 10, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  5. J

no one cares because he doesn't have a chance.

January 10, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  6. Thomas Wells

Ron Paul really won New Hampshire, but the MSM is working along with others to rig the election. He's SO popular they have to smear his name.

Why don't you just ignore him like you usally do?

I'm sure some of your old crusty white executives don't have the cleanest past.

January 10, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  7. VIDAL, MEMPHIS, TN

This speaks volumes about Ron Paul; anyone who harbour and agrees with his ignorance I pray for your souls!

PEACE/LOVE '08

January 10, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  8. Josh Plumridge

I love the part at the end where the spokesperson says "no what's the point." Even if Ron Paul didn't actually pen those newsletters, how absurd is it that they don't care to exonerate him. My money says that if there was a faux Ron Paul Newsletter suggesting that the IRS be sustained at all costs, he would go to the ends of the earth to find out who really wrote that story. In a month, OJ will still be closer to finding the real killer.

January 10, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  9. Churchill

Ru Paul is a racist boob.

January 10, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  10. Sam, Houston, TX

Ron was just telling the truth. The truth hurts some people.

January 10, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  11. Come On

Are you shocked a racists Texas politican, don't we have one of those in the Casablanca right now. Just say NO to Texas politicians.

January 10, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  12. Alexander

This is obviously piggy backing off the TNRs hitpiece on Ron Paul trying to rehash something that has no substance.

Ron Paul Statement on The New Republic Article Regarding Old Newsletters

ARLINGTON, VIRGINIA – In response to an article published by The New Republic, Ron Paul issued the following statement:

“The quotations in The New Republic article are not mine and do not represent what I believe or have ever believed. I have never uttered such words and denounce such small-minded thoughts.

“In fact, I have always agreed with Martin Luther King, Jr. that we should only be concerned with the content of a person's character, not the color of their skin. As I stated on the floor of the U.S. House on April 20, 1999: ‘I rise in great respect for the courage and high ideals of Rosa Parks who stood steadfastly for the rights of individuals against unjust laws and oppressive governmental policies.’

“This story is old news and has been rehashed for over a decade. It's once again being resurrected for obvious political reasons on the day of the New Hampshire primary.

“When I was out of Congress and practicing medicine full-time, a newsletter was published under my name that I did not edit. Several writers contributed to the product. For over a decade, I have publicly taken moral responsibility for not paying closer attention to what went out under my name.”

SOURCE: http://www.ronpaul2008.com/press-releases/125/ron-paul-statement-on-the-new-republic-article-regarding-old-newsletters

January 10, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  13. Geoff

You nutbar supporters making us legitimate (many formerly RP) supporters look like cranks really do a great job of campaigning in the worst possible way.

January 10, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  14. Robin

True, he has no chance to win. This crap comes from the right wing dirty tricks machine because they want him out. Liberals want him to stay in because he is sucking the fiscally conservative, pro-life, anti-war vote. He's a GOP Nader.

Take it all the way to the mat, Ron Paul! The GOP despises you!

January 10, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  15. Bill

Well you knew it was just a matter of time (with South Carolina and Michigan primaries coming up) that the cheapest shot out of the corporate media arsenal would shoot over the bow of Ron Paul. Tonight's venomous racism blast is ironically the same play made back in the 2000 campaign that Patrick Buchanan had to answer at the alter of big media, just when momentum was building for him too. What's nice about the racist "ordinance" as it doesn't matter what the target does to avoid it, the damage is done. Congratulations !

January 10, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  16. Sheila

Ron Paul received almost as many votes as Guliani and more votes than Thompson in New Hampshire. Suddenly, and after he was snubbed from participation in the most recent Republican debate, he finally bears mentioning in the news. I believe Ron Paul when he says he didn't endorse these statements and he wasn't aware of them. I do believe him when he says that he has Libertarian beliefs that place all importance on an individual's character rather than his color. Ron Paul is the most patriotic American currently on the ballot for either party. He is the most practical and the most courageous. What he is saying may not have yet captured the attention of all Americans, but the words he speaks today will hang heavy in the air in the not to distant future when his current proposed platform becomes a national emergency – and it will.

January 10, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  17. samuraimohel

This is disturbing stuff

even if he didn't write it, it's hard to believe that it went on for so long under his name and he had no idea

I don't buy that,

January 10, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  18. Freda

I am African American with some Native American heritage. I do not believe Dr. Ron Paul is a racist.

I lived in his district in a suburban neighborhood called Chasewood in Missouri City, Texas, for over ten years and I have nothing but respect for Dr. Ron Paul.

On one occasion, when Dr. Paul was campaigning in my neighborhood, I was outside talking with one of my neighbors and he stopped to hand some campaign literature to us. We talked for at least an hour and he was interested in us.

Later, after the election, I received letters and updates from him from time to time. I still have a few signed letters from him somewhere.

January 10, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  19. Phil Memphis, TN

20 years of racist comments under his name that he admits he was aware of but will not even try to explain, but this is a plot against him? Shallow people might believe it? IT IS 20 YEARS OF DOCUMENTED BIGOTRY AND HATRED. people with their heads in the sand might NOT believe it.

January 10, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  20. Freda

Later, after the election, I received letters and updates from him. I have a few signed letters from him somewhere. I kept them for probably over thirty years

January 10, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  21. Darth Vadik, CA

Just because sombody "sounds" different, doesn't mean its a good different.

Different ant terrible at the same time.

Ron Paul shoul belong to the whig party of the 1840's

January 10, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  22. Chris

Ron Paul didn't write these newsletters. He had nothing at all to do with them. Its unfortunate that the super right wing survavilist conservatives took advantage of his successful republican congressional campaigns to promote their bigotry. Ron Paul is an outspoken admirer of Martin Luther King Jr., Nelson Mandella, and Rosa Parks. He's the least racist presidential candidate out there!

January 10, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  23. R

Why does this story keep getting rehashed? It has been proven time and again that he did not write any of that. It is not even his writing style.

What ever happened to responsible journalism?

January 10, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  24. Proud Texan

Seems like Ron Paul should be in with the McCain/Huckabee anti-Mormon/anti-black/anti-jew crowd :( ...why can't decent people leave others who aren't a spitting image of themselves alone? We are ALL human and we are ALL AMERICANS, and we ALL would like to have equal rights, and an equal voice in OUR country! Vote Romney or Obama in 2008!!! Say NO to bigots!!!

January 10, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  25. Russ

I want some of whatever Thomas Wells is smoking. If Ron Paul can't even be an absentee newsletter manager without having his name used to crack jokes about blacks and welfare checks, how effective a President could he possibly be?

Ron Paul – bad for America.

Ron Paul's supporters – worse for America.

January 10, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |