January 10th, 2008
1 year ago

Ron Paul '90s newsletters rant against blacks, gays

This is a copy of one of the Ron Paul Political Report newsletters, which has stirred controversy.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - A series of newsletters in the name of GOP presidential hopeful Ron Paul contain several racist remarks - including one that says order was restored to Los Angeles after the 1992 riots when blacks went "to pick up their welfare checks."

CNN recently obtained the newsletters - written in the 1990s and one from the late 1980s - after a report was published about their existence in the New Republic.

None of the newsletters CNN found says who wrote them, but each was published under Paul's name between his stints as a U.S. congressman from Texas.

Related video: Paul: 'I'm not a racist'

Full story

– CNN's Brian Todd

Filed under: Ron Paul
  1. DAVID MARTINEZ

Hey, I was seriously thinking of voting for this guy....I won't be now.

January 10, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  2. jim

people get real!!!! if this is the worst you can do to ron, im amazed.you can trash talk him all you want, thats not going to change the fact that he is the number one person for the job. people he will free us of the over whelming government, that does nothing but supress its people. this man is our answer to a real free America

January 10, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  3. Richard

Most of Ron Paul's supporters could care less about the racism in the newsletters. They'll just attack the report as a "political hit piece" and totally ignore the content of the articles.

Do you guys honestly expect me to believe that Ron Paul wasn't aware of a newsletter that he himself started?

January 10, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  4. Gedwards

You've got to be kidding me! There is no way this is real. No politician is stupid enough to do that anywhere. Anyone could have made that and put Paul's name on it.

I give props to whoever did this. This is an old school smear campain!

January 10, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  5. Seekster

Hmm I never really liked Paul, but im not buying this stuff. Paul has never struck me as a racists, a nut and a appeaser yes but not as a racist. This is somebody kicking a dead horse.

January 10, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  6. Adolf H.

Ron Paul is a source of inspiration to us all. Paul/Duke '08

January 10, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  7. Jeff

Does a piece of the truth matter less because it is old? If there is something that should be reported which allows us to question the motives and opinions of a candidate whether they are doing well or poorly should be shared with the electorate. While this may not be favorable to the many internet constituents of Ron Paul doesn't mean it isn't relevant and newsworthy. This isn't an unnamed source throwing dirt this was a publication created for Ron Paul by his own staff with his approval, it is in fact news.

January 10, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  8. Savanah

Mike shut the hell up!! Why would you try to sugarcoat such racist slurs? You are a slimeball just like Republican ass Ron Paul. Instead of writing on paper and on a website, why don't you and him try saying these things in somebody's face!

January 10, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  9. S. Wright

Look, Mr. Todd, I know that Rep. Paul is nuts, but you must think I'm nuts to believe this crap you consider news.

I'm supposed to believe the following: you recently got this stuff, you don't know who sent it, or who wrote it, but I should attribute that Rep. Paul signs on to this nonsense because it is under his letterhead. And by some form of mystical osmosis, I'm supposed to believe that there is any shred of credibility to your story.

This is the kind of "news" that isn't so. Kinda like what Reagan said about liberals and ignorance.

Look it up, Mr. Todd. Do some research for once.

January 10, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  10. Jayson

Come on now he isn't responsible for checking whether or not the KKK wrote him campaign checks so why would he bother checking to see what was printed involving his name.

Thomas I would suggest you start dreaming. Between his extreme isolationist views and his views on the Civil War he has proven himself to have too many extreme right wing conservative views. Plus I don't think how he though running as Republican candidate would do to improve his piss poor support this time around in the vote for the next president. He doesn't even have the same name recognition as Ross Perot even though this isn't his first run at the White House.

January 10, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  11. Jason W in Memphis

I so appreciated the interview I viewed with Ron Paul this afternoon. You allowed him to respond to these concerns and affirmed his character rationally. Ron Paul has cured my political apathy and CNN news is on its way to cure me of my television apathy. I appreciate your increased coverage of candidates typically marginalized by television media.

January 10, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  12. K-Romeo

If you havebeen apart of the past, you havebeen apart of the problem. The change we need isn't that of a black president but and honest president with new ideas and visions, and that candidate is, Obama. I would be ashame if I was Hillary or any of the other candidates to say they have experiece and have served time in the office making changes. What I'm trying to say is, look at our world today and were it stands, and listen to the candidates bragging about being apart of bringing it to this place. A lot of people just don't get it, especially the other candidates. If Obama was white or any other race I would support him for his belief, his vision, and most important of all, his inexperience. I really wouldn't support him if he had the kind of experience that have our country in the state its in today. New ideas, new visions is what we need and if a white, black, mexican or other can bring this about, I'm all for him. K-Romeo Southfield MI

January 10, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  13. justwonderin

Odd how this reporter doesn't bother to interview Ron Paul or check his website. I'm afraid Paul's popular message threaten the powers that be and the media does as they're told.
    It appears the media are also not to report on possible voter fraud in New Hampshire that distorted the outcome of the primary on January 8. There is clearly some funny business going on.

January 10, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  14. fred-tn

Get online for yourself to see and hear what Ron Paul has to say. His message is one of hope and guided by the the constitution. This is not radical philosophy, only authentic patrioticism. Ron Paul's message demonstrates a commitment to the people, rather than the current system which freely spends trillions of dollars fighting a host of never-ending wars that promote so many disastrous economic policies while ignoring the basic needs of its citizens, like healthcare.

Our country needs to pull out the history books and retrace our steps to a time when the constitution and liberty for all still existed. As citizens we have been asleep at the wheel for many decades. Thanks to Ron, many are starting to awaken.

Ron Paul inspires so many with his authenticity and integrity. This is a trait that is so lacking among the other Republican candidates.

Don't let them stop us now!

January 10, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  15. Duncan, Richmond, VA

"even if he didn't write it, it's hard to believe that it went on for so long under his name and he had no idea"

You really think he knows everything that is written about him or even under his name? Bush says he does not even watch TV or read news papers. How would he know when something is published.

January 10, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  16. Anonymous

I recall watching the news and hearing blacks calling them "paychecks."

January 10, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  17. MIke Dickson

Give me a break!!! Every candidate says that we can all be good little slaves to the wonderful nanny state.....except Ron Paul. So Ron Paul gets attacked. I heard someone say it well. If you have a good argument, pound the argument. If you don't have a good argument, pound the table. This is pounding the table. The media and the weak attack but do not argue substance. They only attempt to smear. I cannot stomach another presidential primary or race choosing the lesser of two evils. There are two world philosophies. You can tell where your candidate stands by their actions and words. 1) Government is a force for good, therefore when I get into office I will force everyone to do what I think is good. This requires smugness, condescension and elitism. (Huckabee, Rudy, McCain, Fred, Romni, Clinton, Obama, Edwards) 2) Government is a tool of restraint, ie. restrain evil. You the individual alone or in coordination with others freely choose to be charitable and meet needs. This requires humility. (Ron Paul). Some hide behind a bible which is shameful and manipulative while others hide behind bravado which is incensing. Ron Paul stands behind the truth. All men are created equal, endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Will you stand!?

January 10, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  18. CMS, SoCal

Buh-Bye.

January 10, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  19. CS

Ron Paul, whether you agree with him or not, is a gentleman and a patriot. This is simply not his style. He is not my candidate, but i agree with Freda.

January 10, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  20. Stephen

The truth will set us free.

Ron Paul = 100.0% Hot Air

January 10, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  21. Jerry, LA, CA

Bye bye Ron Paul...

January 10, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  22. Eric

Ron Paul is the best candidate on EITHER side of the political fence right now.

He has the best platform and will make the United States respectable again, as President.

I hope he will continue his campaign, and do very well in the upcoming primaries!

This whole "newsletter" nonsense is political hackery at its worst. Are we far from someone pinning the presence of trans-fats in McCain SuperFries on a certain namesake Arizona senator ???

January 10, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  23. Ed,Ellenville,New York

Ron Paul's message is foreign policy and economics. Even if these allegations are true,it's not really relevant because his socially conservative views are bigotry in their own right. At least he's willing to discuss the crumbling dollar. The rest of the republicans think the entire world uses our dollars.

January 10, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  24. Tom

Ron Paul supporters are always begging for attention. This is what increased attention brings, and if you can't take the heat, go back to Texas.

January 10, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  25. chaos45i

Thats nothing concrete if you are looking for proof racism look no further than Illinois and Barack Obama.

This is the basic text of a letter that I faxed today to Senators Harry Reid and John Kerry after hearing about his endorsement.

Notice, January 10, 2008
    Regardless of the fact you US Senator Harry Reid are a longtime friend of IL US Senator Dick Durbin(as reported in the public domain). A record exists that shows you US Senator Harry Reid and you US Senator John Kerry in August 2006 were made aware by me,-----, that presidential candidate/Illinois US Senator Barack Obama and co-chair Obama 2008/ Illinois US Senator Dick Durbin had been placed on prior formal written notice that when I a Hispanic American citizen reported incidents of race discrimination towards me by Hormel foods Corp., UFCW, and Target Corp. the agencies the Illinois Department of human rights and the equal out employment opportunity commission(for instance, but not limited to) refused and are still refusing (even to this date) to afford me, a US American-born Hispanic citizen from the state of Illinois, the same full and equal protections under title VII, initially attempted to dissuade me from filing, continues to treat me in a clear biased, unequal, and discriminatory manner, is to this date continuing to cover up their misconduct, and intentionally misrepresenting what are the known true set of facts and circumstances in my particular situation. There can be no dispute that my civil rights are continuing to be violated, because I happen to be Hispanic. When non-Hispanics are allowed to assert race discrimination unimpeded. And todayyou US Senator Jhon Kerry endorsed presidential candidate/Illinois US Senator Barack Obama. I listened to your speech Mr. Kerry. You have made your discriminatory position on what is happening to me right now inIllinois abundantly clear. Unless you US Senator John Kerry, since you have full knowledge and understanding of my particular situation, pull your endorsement for presidential candidate Barack Obama. Immediately, you will be just as accountable & Guilty of racism against Hispanicssuch as myself in Illinois and elsewhere in this country. And to you US Senator Harry Reid I ask that you put aside your friendship/loyalty to anyone such as co-chair Obama 2008/ IL, US Senator Dick Durbin in the U.S. Senate to in fact investigate this clear & ongoing race discrimination against Hispanics/Latinos in the state of Illinois and finally do your job. You US Senator John Kerry should be exposing this racism right now so other US Senator colleagues will not be able to sell out Hispanics/Latinos. As you have in this election. This is a demand that no US Senator be allowed to endorse US Senator Barack Obama for the most important office in the US, unless they are first made aware of my particular situation. And that an endorsement for presidential candidate Barack Obama such as yours, US Senator John Kerry would be condoning this form of racism.
    ------