January 10th, 2008
1 year ago

Ron Paul '90s newsletters rant against blacks, gays

This is a copy of one of the Ron Paul Political Report newsletters, which has stirred controversy.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - A series of newsletters in the name of GOP presidential hopeful Ron Paul contain several racist remarks - including one that says order was restored to Los Angeles after the 1992 riots when blacks went "to pick up their welfare checks."

CNN recently obtained the newsletters - written in the 1990s and one from the late 1980s - after a report was published about their existence in the New Republic.

None of the newsletters CNN found says who wrote them, but each was published under Paul's name between his stints as a U.S. congressman from Texas.

Related video: Paul: 'I'm not a racist'

Full story

– CNN's Brian Todd

Filed under: Ron Paul
  1. Seam, Philly, Pa

I know you Paul supporters hate the fact that CNN took issue with this at such a "timely" manner, but you can't just expect people to brush it to the side. Paul has to explain.

January 10, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  2. Walt, Belton, TX

Sounds like the mormon ex-governor and Huckleberry have hired some of Hillary's henchmen to do their dirty work! Slick Willie was pretty good at that stuff, I wonder...................................................

January 10, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  3. Fanner 50

Man the decks! Here come the NEOCON SWIFT BOATS out to attack any one that might alter the numbers or Agenda they want..Their torpedoes are lies and slander.Its strange the Captain of the crew comes out of the wood work the same day,the biggest LIAR OF ALL CARL ROVE.

January 10, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  4. Tim, Mn

Karl Rove

January 10, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  5. Brent, Gulfport MS

Phil from Memphis, TN:

Please quit trying to smear those on the other side of the aisle simply because their political viewpoints differ from yours. I'm as sick of hearing from ignorant people "You're a Republican, so you must be a heartless racist" as I'm sure you are of hearing "You're a Democrat, you must hate America and love terrorists" or "You're a waffling, indecisive Independent," whichever the case may be.

The point I'm trying to make is that to say that your statement that every Republican has a skeleton in his or her closet is every bit as ignorant as if I were to say the same thing about the other party. Fact is that just as many Democrats as Republicans, both currently seated and past, have skeletons in their closets. I can get specific if you need me to, but that'd just be more mudslinging, and I'm not interested in that.

What we need is to quit hating those whose ideology differs from ours. Our differences make us stronger, until we turn them into attacks. Then they destroy us.

January 10, 2008 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  6. M, Jacksonville, FL

People you make me sick, you buy into something with the tagline "racist" without even researching, yet when the "first-tier" candidates make some of the dumbest comments known to man you ignore them as they didn't happen. Here's the point you idiots (yeah I hate political correctness, let;s be honest you really are idiots! You know who you are...) if you want to move down the path of socialism go ahead and vote for a democrat this year. If you enjoy allowing the government to take away your personal freedoms then by all means support Rom-ucke-cain-son. BUT, when you have to spend $15,000 to buy a Big-mac and gas is $50,000 a gallon do not even start crying about what has happened because you caused it. American is home of the truly ignorant these days, I am ashamed! By the way Huck-ster, the Founding Fathers were not all clergyman (another idiot, Jefferson and Franklin were Diests so they did not believe in the Divinity of Jesus.) and McCain you probably wouldn't have got shot down had you not been in Vietnam in the first place (another idiot, let's fear Communism then take steps to get as close as possible to it by increasing the size of our Federal Government). G-man I could care less what emotions you had on 9/11. I was shocked, now I understand why it happened and if you don't then you are another idiot. People wake up, I typically give people the benefit of the doubt when they choose candidates, but if you don't support Ron Paul's stances then you need to hand in your voter registration cards. Have a nice day folks, oh and CCN be happy that I don't control the FCC because you, MSNB.... and F0X would be off the air for taking part in fraud, slander and defamation of character. Peace out idiots!

January 10, 2008 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  7. SAM, Raleigh, NC

I don't see why CNN is doing this unless Ron Paul has a bigger chance then they will admit.

January 11, 2008 12:15 am at 12:15 am |
  8. Mrs. America

And Larry Craig is not gay. What are we to believe anymore?

January 11, 2008 12:34 am at 12:34 am |
  9. Steven Bengtson Sr.

Too bad they think there is not an issue, would Mr. Paul be responsible as president for the actions of the justice Dept. or would he tell us he is not sure who they are?

January 11, 2008 12:42 am at 12:42 am |
  10. Dale Davis, Glendora, California

THE RON PAUL SUPPORTERS ARE EQUALLY AS CREEPY. I MEAN REAL SCARY.

January 11, 2008 01:14 am at 1:14 am |
  11. jeremy

We are entering a very interesting era. Ron Paul may very well not win this nomination or election, however, his polictial stance may very well light up many of this generation who are sick of the same old "4 more years" garbage.

In the long run these comments will make little difference either way. If the younger political base become more energized about making this country better and takes up the flag that Ron Paul will leave us; then it is quite possible that in the next 20 year there could be a huge libertarian swing, creating a 3-party system and a return to the founding ideals of the nation.

Obviously, Ron Paul wants to win this election. These comments are old and if they don't reflect his point of view, then it really should matter if he knew about them or not. Of course, its up to everyone to determine for themselves exactly what they beleived happened, which creates room for doubt and is therefore the basis for political attacks.

It would be great to see Ron Paul win, but I think his compaign is a well-thought, well-timed complex move to invoke intelligent thought among today's younger voters and to open the path to change in the relatively near future.

Of course, you are free to view these comments as a way to stop thinking and vote for whomever the media deems best.

January 11, 2008 01:52 am at 1:52 am |
  12. Daniel

Republicans are all so full of crap. America this, America that, but only if your a W.A.S.P.

January 11, 2008 01:53 am at 1:53 am |
  13. Steven Bengtson Sr.

Bummer about Bill Richardson, he has a lot to offer! I hope he stays involved with national politics, I value his experience. We would all benefit if he becomes involved in the Clinton Administration.

January 11, 2008 02:20 am at 2:20 am |
  14. Charles

Regarding Memphis Paul's comment; Ron Paul's twenty year history in congress as well as his countless speeches and comments show him to be anything but racist. He has answered the questions relating to these controversial published comments many times. People in Texas believe him. I believe him, and more importantly, I believe in him. I researched his congressional voting and somments. Everything I have found show Ron to be colorblind in his actions and beliefs. He is a true representative and a true American Patriot.
    As far as his being just another Republican...I don't think so. Ron is an enigma. We are witnessing attack after attack on Ron by "fellow" Repunlicans and corrupt main stream media. Why? Because he is a Libertarian at heart. Ron Paul threatens all the ill gotten gains they've worked a century to steal from the American people. The Republicans do not want to lose their power. The Republicans do not want give back the LIBERTY they have stolen from you and I, especially the Patriot Act. Do you honestly realize what Bush/Cheney and his ilk have done to the American People? So, in truth, Ron is a Libertarian and a REAL Republican. I hope he runs as a Libertarian. The Neocon Republican base will not allow Ron Paul to get the nomination. He is not part of the "Big Club"; (Youtube search:"George Carlin-The American Dream"). .
    The U.S. Constitution is not an archaic historical relic. It is an amazingly well thought out idea for this country. This document has been chipped away at and ignored with grave consequences beginning approximately one hundred years ago. President Eisenhower, a Republican, warned us all about the shadow government and the military industrial complex. In my eyes, Ike was the last decent Republican President we've had. I do not like any of the Republican candidates, except one. I trust none of them, except one. And the candidate I trust will not get the Republican nomination.Not with powerful & corrupt media like fox news and now the same bastard who owns fox and my space , just bought the Wall Street Journal.
    These evil entities have taken over our country. Only Ron Paul can put a stop to it, and give this country back to, "We the People" Please, research this man. He is a good and honest man. I have not voted in the last four elections, I have given up. I am cynical. I discovered Ron Paul in the first debate. I asked, who is this guy...I researched him..He Is the REAL DEAL! A true representative of the people AND the U.S. Constitution.> So, please Paul,research Ron Paul, I feel you will be a believer. He is our last hope.

January 11, 2008 02:33 am at 2:33 am |
  15. yeah man

Discredit the man and kill his ideas. The founding fathers were the most brilliant men of their era and their words are timeless wisdom. Of course with a corporate controlled government those words are a threat to order.

Bukky, Balt MD,
    "order was only restored in L.A. when it came time for the blacks to pick up their welfare checks."
    I hate to say it but that was a fact, everyone in LA seen it. The only thing most of the rioters were illegal aliens not blacks. View the footage if you don't believe it.
    Not that Dr Paul wrote that useless racial attack on blacks.

Jm, LA Ca.

January 11, 2008 03:11 am at 3:11 am |
  16. George, Billerica, Mass.

He may not consider himself racist today, but if he truly objected to this stuff back then, he could have, should have, and certainly had every legal right to have his name removed from the newsletters or have the editors and/or writers replaced. That he did not do any of those things at the time speaks volumes.
    There is no media or electoral conspiracy against Rep. Paul. All the candidates who polled in single digits got less attention than the others. He has participated in debates, has been interviewed frequently, has had phenomenal fundraising which got lots of press attention, and he gets about 10% of the votes.
    If he and his supporters really believed there was a national movement toward libertarianism, then stop using the Republican Party as the vehicle for it and focus your efforts on creating a viable Libertarian Party. I'll believe candidates are truly libertarian when they stop putting an "R" next to their names.

January 11, 2008 03:46 am at 3:46 am |
  17. Chris in Silicon Valley

Folks on this blog can argue & argue, but how many are willing to look him up, listen to his ideas, and evaluate this?

January 11, 2008 05:03 am at 5:03 am |
  18. n

ddsf

January 11, 2008 05:14 am at 5:14 am |
  19. RP

Phil in Memphis, as soon as Ron Paul found out that people were writing bad things under his name he fired them and issued an apology. Let me ask you this. In last nights debate McCain said that he doesn't want to talk or trade with Al Qaeda because they only want to sell Burqas and Thompson said that if the patrol boats had gotten any closer to that they would be sent to the virgins that they always talk about. These are obvious wise cracks about the Muslim religion. So tell me, who is the real racist? Ron Paul has a solid voting record for 30 years that is the complete opposite of what was written in the newsletters. If you can't understand that then YOU are truly the person with his head in the sand. Huckabee talked about causing Iran to see the gates of hell. I agree that Iran has a crummy government, but the people of Iran are not all bad. They are innocent people just like us Americans. So if we hate the Iranian government, we should kill thousands of Iranian people? Isn't that the same thing Al Qaeda did on 9/11. They hate the American government so they killed innocent American people? Your view of foreign policy and the other republican candidates view is not much different than Bin Laden's.

January 11, 2008 05:38 am at 5:38 am |
  20. Independent in IA

Ron Paul may or may not be a racist. I don't really care what he espouses.

The fact that he lent his name to the publication vilifies him beyond repair, and his angry and destructive rhetoric does little but stamp him as a total looney-tune. That he embraces the Libertarian doctrine whole-heartedly says volumes about his mental competence.

January 11, 2008 07:02 am at 7:02 am |
  21. Mike, Fox River Grove, IL

I challenge any person that posted in this blog, including all those who said "I was going to vote, but won't now" to find ONE SINGLE SOLITARY SPOKEN WORD of Ron Paul that is racist. In fact, I dare you to find any word he has said that isn't fully and completely about the equality of all people, that all people are based upon the individual. There are things printed about all the candidates that put them into some sort of bigoted light, but they aren't making the press. The newsletters, long discounted and already examined by the people who have elected Paul for the past ten years to Congress, have no basis in truth.

I also challenge anyone to find anything in his voting record that is racist or that has in any way done anything other than protect the rights of individuals. Ron Paul has been a solid supporter of his convictions from the very beginning and has never wavered.

Plus, consider, CNN has but once or twice had headlines about Ron Paul, concerning the money bombs. But suddenly this makes big news and its up there, how can one not think "smear campaign", especially for someone that CNN has claimed hasn't a chance? I do give props to Blitzer for letting Ron Paul speak and even Blitzer said that in the years he's known Ron Paul that those writings did not at all sound like the Congressmen.

Those who were seriously considering voting for Ron Paul, please do research, you will not find a more honest, truthful, and conviction bound person who loves this great nation than Ron Paul.

January 11, 2008 07:14 am at 7:14 am |
  22. Mark G., BBH, ME

This is the operating procedure of the elite. They always claim racism, they always claim anti-black rhetoric

Listen to peace and individuality. Who wants to control you cradle to grave, who wants freedom, civil liberties returned? Seems to be that we should give peace a chance. Stop running about the world espousing how great our way is, when we are not so great anymore.

We are not free, the dog and pony show, coming to a state near you. Listen up America, you have been duped, you are not free any longer, time is not on your side. Every child born in the US owes 175,000 dollars of debt and more each minute.

How long are you gonna sleep while the wolves chew on your carcass?

January 11, 2008 07:34 am at 7:34 am |
  23. freetobeme, Rochester, PA

The timing of this "revelation" seems mighty suspicious. I'm not surprised. Anyone who supports the Constitution is bound to be attacked with the same dirt that was used to attack another conservative, Barry Goldwater, in 1964.

The Establishment wants Americans to forget that there is a Constitution and a Bill of Rights. That is why they work so hard to make certain that someone who believes in individual liberty is branded as a "kook" or a "racist."

Libertarians believe what our Founding Fathers believed. If you think that belief in individual liberty is old-fashioned or "kooky," maybe your ancestors did you a disservice when they immigrated here.

Don't believe everything you read or hear. Especially from the mainstream media.

January 11, 2008 07:47 am at 7:47 am |
  24. eOpinion

You have got to be kidding me. This is like the most blatant, stupid LIE. Obviously someone wants to discredit a politician with a LIE and STUPID PEOPLE (lemmings) fall for the trick.

OH, this document surfaces from nowhere in the middle of a political campaign of a politician who is showing stronger than expected numbers. People have a choice:

Believe that a document with someone's name on it must be credible especially considering the timing.

OR

Ron Paul is telling the truth and who knows who wrote this document.

If this gains any traction, I have a letter that Rudy Guilliani wrote that has racist remarks in it. Oh! And I have letters from Mitt Romney and John McCain with similar remarks. The letters even have THEIR NAMES ON IT.

McCain, Guilliani, & Romney all will deny it but the letters have their names on it and I don't know exactly where these letters came from but they have their names on it.

Is that all it takes to play into the hands of dirty political (and not really creative) masterminds?

DON'T FALL FOR SUCH STUPID POLITICAL TRICKS.

January 11, 2008 07:58 am at 7:58 am |
  25. Mary, Beaver, PA

Strange that this "news" regarding "Ron Paul" newsletters has come from the left-wing media (from folks who wouldn't even pick up Ron Paul literature, let alone keep it for a decade). Strange that it took 15 years for a newsletter dated from 1992 to surface. Strange that these lefties just now "managed" to get their hands on these newsletters. Strange that Paul's enemies hadn't "discovered" this sooner. Strange that this "news" came out just as the primaries are heating up.

I smell a rat.