January 11th, 2008
1 year ago

Conservative Democratic senator to endorse Obama

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Nebraska Sen. Ben Nelson, a conservative Democrat, will endorse Illinois Sen. Barack Obama for president, two Democratic sources tell CNN.

One of the sources, a Nebraska Democrat, said Nelson decided to back Obama because he “agrees with Obama’s philosophy of ending the partisan divide in Washington.”

Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry and South Dakota Sen. Tim Johnson endorsed Obama on Thursday.

Nelson’s fellow Nebraskan, former Sen. Bob Kerrey, previously announced his support for New York Sen. Hillary Clinton in the race for the Democratic nomination.

Nebraska Democrats hold their caucuses on February 9, a potentially important presidential contest if Democrats do not choose their nominee by February 5, otherwise known as “Super Tuesday.”

The sources said the announcement could happen as early as Saturday.

–CNN Political Editor Mark Preston

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Nebraska
  1. Ann

Watch for Nebraska Republican Senator Chuck Hagel to endorse Obama! (As soon as he decides not to run on an Independent ticket.)

January 12, 2008 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  2. Mary, Michigan

Margarita, Los Angeles - Quit YELLING at us.

January 12, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  3. Spencer

"Conservative Democrat"... that's kind of like "skinny sumo wrestler"

January 12, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  4. Maria

"...we need new vision,new hope fresh blood and YES WE CAN.YES WE CAN MAKE THIS CHANGE." DR IAN WOODS

"...right now Barack is CLEARLY running a more respectable, refreshing and honest campaign." Robert A. Hunter Jr.

********************************************

Yes We Do Yes We Do Yes We Do = AND we can all start by asking obama to stop stealing César Chávez's rallying cry "Si se puede!!" in his attempt to woo the Latino voters. It's really insulting to the Hispanic-American community.

refreshing and honest :( NOT

and maybe the reason he lost in NH was that he stole senator mccain's "straight talk" slogan there too...

can't wait to see who will be the shiny bright new keynote speaker for the 2008 democratic convention – so we all know who we are going to have running in the 2012 elections.

January 12, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  5. RuthieM

Wow, go Obama go, I always had faith in you, the People's President!!!

January 12, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  6. Tom Davie

Of course republicans are going to 'endorse' obama

They arent actually 'endorsing' him, just commenting on his campaign.

They key in on the fact Obama has the youth vote. Obama in (somewhat) new so he has no enemies........

Wait until he goes up against a Republican candidate. Their tune will change REAL fast.

Its interesting to notice Democrats arent rushing to endorse a Republican. They should endorse the Rebublican who wont stand up in a general election.

Fred Thompson.

January 12, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  7. joseph+

I beleve barack will be the best president of all candidates on the field because unlike others,he can relate to the little guys who is struggling to put food on the table,and he inspires people and brings hope to some one's life.He is not your typical calculated power monger politician ,so jump the obama band wagon,because hopo is on the way

January 12, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  8. Anonymous

Well done Senator Obama! Best of luck in Nevada and beyond!

January 12, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  9. AnnAloha, PA Independent Thinker

WOW I forgot about this endorsement!!!
    The Stanford Review on May 11, 2007
    writes Allysia Finely

Now that's an Endorsement

When asked whether she would consider running for public office, Billy JeanKing said that she might if she were younger. She also formally endorsed Hillary Clinton for president, the first candidate she has endorsed for a political office.

“I think she’s earned it, more than earned it,” said King. “I’ve forgotten what a softee she really is.”

But when asked what she thought about President Bush, King gave what many might consider a surprising answer for a staunch feminist.

“I’m big on respecting the President,” said King. “He’s very black and white in his thinking. I don’t agree with him on a lot of things, but I respect him. I’ve seen him with a lot of people crying outside his office…I don’t like it when people are disrespectful to the President, because I don’t think anybody until they’re president can understand how tough it is.”
    King concluded the interview by suggesting ad hoc that Stanford share its wealth and endowment with junior colleges and technical schools. She also called the audience to both go out and vote and to make a difference in the world.

“Down the road, are you going to be happy with yourself and what your journey has been?” King asked. “No matter what age you are or shape you’re in, you do make a difference, if only to yourself.”

January 12, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  10. darrell

The Senator Endorsement is good, the know him to be a uniter.

experience! !

Hillary husband Bill said in 1992, (That type of experience is irrelevant)

As president, It is your supporting cast that makes a good admin. Actions surrounding your agenda.

More on Experience, Bidden and others should be in the lead, if that were the case. (Long good records)

People want Authentic Change. Not a week to week change as Hillary has done to win the campaign.

Obama empowers each American as having a role in this Movement for Change.

Same old congress promised change last year. Very little has been done.

Change requires working together with both parties. I see that more in Obama.

Early in Hillary campaign, all she would say is the republicans are out to get her.

We do not need a paranoid president,

We need change.

Although Hillary is a good candidate, she is not a beacon for authentic change. Or uniting the Democratic Party

Obama!

January 12, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  11. veronica

I don't see where I've posted any of Hillary's talking points, and no I don't work for her campaign!
    I don't support Obama because I believe he is not seasoned enough in these difficult times to run our government. Many voters agree with me on that.
    I don't like that he preaches rather than talks about specifics whenever I've seen him on C-span, or other channels. That is not enough substance for me.
    I think Hillary is qualified, and John Edwards as well. Not Obama.
    For some reason, the media has crowned him. i think the voters are still weighing their choices (on both sides of the aisle).

January 12, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  12. Pamela

Bush is an incompetent, fear mongering, spoiled brat, failed oil businessman who half way found religion in a twelve step program. So what was Billie Jean's point?
    Here's a f couple for you, why did it take this guy nearly eight years to make a trip to the middle east for a peace summit? Why did he continue to say the economy was doing fine up until a few days ago? (its very good for his oil friends and REAL base). Giggles the Clown could have done better than this.

January 12, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  13. Jimenez

You know people will continue to bash Clinton and whoever supports her. Which doesn't bother us any. WE know Clinton will win. What I would appreicate if people just stop referring Obama to JFK. He doesn't stand close to him. Obama can get whatever endorsements blah blah blah doesn't phase Clinton and it doesn't phase her supporters. Endorsements don't make a persons decision. That comes from us. And deep in our hearts and minds Clinton is the only true leader who can bring this country back. So let's stop going on this downward spiral of a make believe world that Obama is singing. He is truly no different than any other only that he brings with him a bottle, a mirror and smoke. Go back into your bottle genie. You can't make our wishes come true. Only we the people can make it happen. Vote Clinton and step back. We're about to embark on making history. Clinton 08

January 12, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  14. McDaniel K.

Dear audience Obama represnt change, sincereity ,black white change. with Obama being a mix race in a nut shell will go far to creat another history that America is not only the epitome of freedom for all race and colour. but a demonstrated symbul of equility no matter your background, race and colour.

January 12, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  15. Ginny Ca

A lot of you on here are so excited about Obama's promise of hope and change that you've allowed yourselves to become blind to the attributes of any other candidates. And I've noticed a lot of you playing pretty fast and loose with Hillary "facts'. Come on, do your homework before you deride her 35 years of working tirelessly on behalf of children and the middle class. Go to HillaryClinton.com and learn the facts. Go to Obama.com and learn the facts. Go to all the candidates' sites and learn the facts. Match the facts and their positions on specific issues with what they are saying at debates and in speeches. Please learn the facts about all the candidates before you disrespect their dedication and years of service. Think about it: your right to vote is precious; be sure you know the positions of your candidate before you vote.

January 12, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  16. Greg OH

Veronica, fair enough. You may believe what you believe. If you want to know what his issues are, there is a 66 page PDF on his issues and plans. If that is not detailed enough for you, I don't know what is. Yes I have read it. That is why I support him even as a registered moderate Republican and I don't support him to set him up to lose, I will vote for him in the general election too.

Jimenez, please compare him to JFK because JFK and MLK were the last great agents of change. We have not seen this much excitement from the votes since that time. They way he makes people feel when you hear him talk, it reminds them of those two figures. This country has been in apathy since that time and many believe he can bring us out of that apathy.

January 12, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  17. armani

we are a great nation because of our values as a democracy we are not in some kingdom were inheritance is the other of the day. for two decade america as gone back to medieval times with the likes of the bush and the clintons give me abreak it is time if not usurp the reasons these great nation was built on. in GOD i put my trust but in barack obama i put the future of america america the maker of history not it victim. come to think about it i dont remember seeing a crying president was it a coronation i dont think so either

January 12, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  18. Carole CA

To Greg in OH: Nice try, but I don't believe your conservative Republican parents are going to vote for Obama. You're simply a shill for your Republican party and trying to reinforce the idea that Republicans like him and would vote for him. No way! It's true that they want him to become the Democratic nominee because they know they can use the skeletons in his closet to defeat him in a national campaign. They realize that with Hillary they'd have a much harder time. They've been throwing their best shots at her for decades and haven't been able to make much of anything stick.

January 12, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  19. Carole CA

And another thing Greg in OH Veronica's comments have been thoughtful and sincere. . . and actually rather mild in negativity about Obama. Her comments about him are valid and, by the way, who are you to question her motivation, and accuse her of working for Hillary's campaign and posting Hillary's talking points?

Also, to compare brilliant leaders like JFK and MLK to Obama is ludicrous. They were strong men of clear conviction and substance, with fresh ideas and the ability to explain how their dreams for America could be accomplished. All these attributes are missing in your man, Obama, who bases his candidacy on empty rhetoric, generalities, and hope.

January 12, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  20. Greg OH

Carole CA,

I am not the one comparing him to them, I just said why people would compare the them. He is not empty as I said, please read his plans in his some 60 page PDF on what his plan is for the country, not empty rhetoric. But you are right in one way, I am sorry Veronica, I should not have asked you if you worked for her. I mean that, I am sorry. Have a good day and may be best person win.

January 12, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  21. Greg OH

Carole CA, I am telling the truth. I don't make up things about my parents. They voted for Bush and usually always a Republican. But this time they really are interested in Obama and seriously want to vote for him and not just a Republican trick. They feel he is truthful (rare in politics) and can stop the deadlock in Congress. This is not a trick, I am telling the truth. Please do not make a personal attack on my parents, that is out of bounds.

January 12, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  22. Greg OH

Carole,

They are conservative Republican Catholics that live near Cleveland OH. This is not a trick, I am telling the truth. Please do not attack my parents, they might be stubborn somethings, but they are good people and honorable.

January 12, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  23. Greg OH

Carole CA,

I am too a registered Republican (moderate Rep), but will vote for whoever I feel is best for the country. This election I am voting for Obama, but if he doesn't get the nomination, I will vote for McCain.

January 12, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  24. Benjamin Lawson, FRANCE

WHAT A BIZARE POLITICAL WORLD THE PEOPLE OF AMERICA ARE LIVING IN, WHERE DUPLICITY TRIUMPHS!

Obama had never aggressed Hillary, he had all along the campaign remained positive, correct and gentle. He had never been negative. While the Clinton couple had engaged political campaigns that are long on sleaze and short on substance. Obama never apologized to Hillary for negative ad. How comes that because in Hillary’s own audience a sexist behavior manifested by an attendee could provoked a situation for which Barack Obama is not responsible and lead to an instantaneous retaliatory attack from the “women legion” to going after Barack Obama? The true winner at NH had in fact never been Hillary Clinton but the Republican hopeful who would ultimately emerge from the caucuses. All republican hopefuls know how divisive Sen. Clinton is in the American opinion, and how easy it would be for them to make short work of her as the democratic nominee, so are they feverishly praying God every night and every day to let them have Hillary as the democratic nominee so as to have their dream finally come true by a crashing defeat. For, they know in advance that no torrent of tears will ever save her. They all know that heir lachrymal or tear glands have dried out very long ago, as she never had emotion. The person, Marianne Pernold Young, 64, a freelance photographer from Portsmouth, N.H., whose question triggered her crocodile tears few minutes later, told ABC News that:

While she was moved by Clinton's emotional moment, she was turned off by how quickly the New York senator regained her "political posture."

"I went to see Hillary. I was undecided and I was moved by her response to me," Pernold Young said in a telephone interview with ABC News. "We saw 10 seconds of Hillary, the caring woman."
    "But then when she turned away from me, I noticed that she stiffened up and took on that political posture again," she said. "And the woman that I noticed for 10 seconds was gone."

So had she found how Hillary Clinton is structurally an emotionless person, and did in disguise went straight to voted for Obama.

January 12, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  25. Debb

I was an HRC supporter until she began touting her experience. Excuse me, but what elected office did she hold before being elected Senator? Her hubby was governor. She wasn't. Bill was prez. She wasn't. So how does she have so much more experience than Obama? She cannot be a representative of change when she is part of the old guard. Best to stand by your man,HRC, cause the Obama phenomenon is going on.

January 12, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |