January 11th, 2008

Giuliani pledges largest tax cut in U.S. history

Giuliani is up with a new ad in Florida.
Giuliani is up with a new ad in Florida.

(CNN) - Rudy Giuliani has launched a new ad in which the Republican presidential candidate pledges that his first priority as president will be a proposal for the largest tax cut in U.S. history ­ one which would dwarf successful cuts by both President Reagan and President George W. Bush.

In the 30-second spot, 'First Day,' the announcer tells viewers that "On his first day in office, Rudy Giuliani will send Congress the largest tax cut in American history."

Adds Giuliani: "I would lower taxes as President of the United States because it¹s not just an ideology or, or a theory for me. I made it work. I had results."

"Rudy's delivered more tax relief than the other Republicans combined. And now has a plan to cut taxes by trillions of dollars," says the narrator.

Giuliani concludes: "I'm the one who, who's lowered taxes, and lowered spending, and actually gotten it done where it was more difficult to do it than even in Washington, DC."

Giuliani's multi-trillion dollar proposal, unveiled in a speech earlier this week, would reduce the capital gains tax from 15 percent to 10 percent, preserve President Bush's 2001 and 2003 tax cuts, lower the corporate tax rate from 35 percent to 25 percent, permanently eliminate the estate tax, and give taxpayers the option of choosing a simplified tax form with three tax brackets with a maximum bracket of 30 percent. It would also index the alternative minimum tax to inflation - and eventually repeal it entirely.

The new ad will air in Florida, and nationwide.

– CNN's Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: Rudy Giuliani
  1. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

And Rudy, how do you propose to pay for government?

Other than the usual GOP mantra – let the middle class handle it?!?!?!

Rudy's trailing and getting desperate!

But you know, the GOP-sheep will just eat it up, like they always do!!!

January 11, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  2. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

Don't worry folks, Rudy's finished as soon as the GOP folks in Dixie realize he's Catholic!

January 11, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  3. ATTILA the Hun

What is this strange SM fascination between republicans and the "WORD" tax cuts

January 11, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  4. Opie

Rudy loves to use his credit card.But who pays the bill when its due.You and I and our kids have to pay the Commie Chinese loan off at what percent??

January 11, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  5. JBell, Atwater, CA

Jordan in Seattle, that is pure genius.

January 11, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  6. Donald, Butte, MT

What are you going to do for the single taxpayer in this country???

All I hear from any candidate is nothing but tax credits and programs for the married couple with children.

We, single people, get the shaft again.

The entire tax code is discriminatory againest single people and we pay for the excesses of the married.

Any new tax code should be the same for single or married persons. No additional tax credits/programs for married with/without children. Particularly, in terms of education. All the federal government does is continue to throw huge sums of money into Education with NO visible results. All politicians suggest nothing is to good for the children in terms of education, medical care, etc. but again, large sums of money are appropriated with minimal results. Its time we get a return of this money or cut it off. Again, no accountability, just like throwing money away after 911

January 11, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  7. Mikey

Gobama January 11, 2008 1:09 pm ET

The wise and conscientious way to do a tax cut is to:

PUT THE MONEY IN THE HANDS OF THOSE WHO WILL PUMP IT RIGHT BACK IN THE ECONOMY!
    PUT THE TAX CUT IN THE HANDS OF LOWER INCOME CITIZENS!

Wealthy people, absorbed in greed, will just PUT THEIR TAX CUTS IN THEIR BANK ACCOUNTS; so as to make them richer and proud, while the economy suffers and the nation's deficit builds.

Now, poorer people WILL spend the tax cut; and the wealthier people can then get rich when the poorer people spend their money to buy rich people's goods and services, AS THEY WILL!

Gobama I agree with you 100%

I hate it how the Republicans only interests are the corporations. They'll destroy the country and the economy who will then blame the so-called socialist communist Democrats (who have been moving toward the center since Clinton) just to get elected and continue their corporatist agenda.

The only Republican I like is Ron Paul as he is anti-war and I like his social libertarian positions.

Giuliani will destroy the country, don't vote for him. Your better off with Alan Keyes :(

January 12, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  8. chris st pete florida

you do realize that pretty much ANYONE gets ALL there money back if they make roughly 50k a year..so NONE of them really pay any taxes..since they get it all back(except for the SS tax and the medicare tax)

Soo.. that said... what kinda tax cut does the poor need now??

January 12, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  9. Kit

I have to disagree with you chris, since I'm in that category and end up having to pay money every year. Wanna know why? I'm single. I don't get any tax credits. So yeah keep thinking people get all their money back when they don't. I think income tax should be done away with, it's wrong and unfair.

January 14, 2008 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  10. Howard

I would vote for him on the basis of these tax cuts alone... not that I think they would ever pass.

January 16, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |