January 12th, 2008

Obama ads hit Super Tuesday states

Obama is hitting the airwaves in two states that vote February 5.
Obama is hitting the airwaves in two states that vote February 5.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Democrat Barack Obama’s campaign has hit the air in two February 5 states.

In Arizona, a state with a large retirement population, Obama’s new television ad relates a story he tells often on the campaign trail, about his mother’s battle with cancer and mounting medical bills.

“My mother died of cancer at 53. In those last painful months, she was more worried about paying her medical bills than getting well. I hear stories like hers everyday,” says the Illinois senator in the 30-second spot, titled “Mother.”

“For 20 years, Washington has talked about health care reform and reformed nothing. I've got a plan to cut costs and cover everyone. But unless we stop the bickering and the lobbyists we will be in the same place twenty years from now. I'm Barack Obama and I approve this message because to fix health care we have to fix Washington.”

On Friday, the campaign announced the endorsement of Janet Napolitano, the state's popular Democratic governor.

In “Quiet,” Obama points to oil as both an environmental and a national security issue, and stresses his straight-talking credentials.

“I don't accept that we should be still sending eight hundred million dollars a day, part to hostile nations because of our addiction to foreign oil,” says Obama in the new 30-second ad, airing in California. “And in the bargain we're melting the polar ice caps.

“I went to Detroit to insist that we have to increase fuel efficiency standards. Now, I have to admit, the room got kind of quiet. We can't just tell people what they want to hear. We need to tell them what they need to hear. We need to tell them the truth.”

The ads are Obama’s first in states set to vote on February 5, the so-called Super Tuesday contests.

–CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: Arizona • California • Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Elease

Obama can and will make a difference. The so call experienced Presidents did not make a difference. Hilary had a chance. Crying reminds me of tactics displayed by kids.
    Ellie let me enlighten you...life is a gamble. if you don't take chances, you will never make a difference and things will remain the same. Wake up America..The time is now......Obama ...Obama...Obama

January 12, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  2. Scott, Madison, WI

Steve:

Unlike HRC who attached her name only to bills that were assured passage and has never taken a stand on anything unless it was popular at the moment. She has a reputation for being unyielding and unable to compromise but is now trying to give the impression on the campaign trail that she has that ability. This another remake – at least the third – in the last few weeks to give the impression that she knows how to listen.

January 12, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  3. R. Fraer

YEP< BLOW SOME MORE SMOKE BARRACK LOTS OF SMOOTH TALKERS BEFORE YOU HAVE TRIED, YOU DON'T CHANGE WASHINGTON, WASHINGTON CHANGES YOU, GET REAL AND LEARN MORE ABOUT THE PLACE BEFORE YOU TALK

January 12, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  4. yk

Hillary has experience, that I must admitt. When you hire a older more experienced person it is harder to get them to do the job. They think
    they know it all, seen it all, and have the best way to handle it. This
    is the exact thing that has washington set up to fail. Obama is well
    educated, in touch with the everyday people, everyday problems, and
    the need for change, With His intelligence, organizing experience, and
    ability to bring people together he will be a Perfect fit for President. He
    is a Havard Law Graduate. The Time is Now.... Yes We CAN!!! We as
    american are going to tell washington by way of the voting booth that:
    The Old school is Closed and the New school is about to open.

January 12, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  5. Bimmer

Talking about telling the truth in the ad:

Can Obama tell the truth about flip-flopping on the votes on Iraq?

Why he did not change his name to a Christian name if he is a Christian?

How can he be a good role model for kids when used and confessed to taking drugs?

January 12, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  6. David, Los Angeles

Does Obama have anything to offer besides slogans? "Change," "fired up and ready to go," "yes we can"...change what? Ready to go where? Yes we can...do what? Nobody knows.

Is he running for President or prom king?

January 12, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  7. Bimmer

The ad about Mother

If your mom was divorced whe she was diagnosed with cancer and got the medication and she was going to die why did she have to worry about paying the bills?

Nobody can go after a dead person for unpaid bills?

Sympathize with her sickness and death, but to use her sicknees to gain votes by stretching the facts is not becoming of person who is a strong advocate of change.

January 12, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  8. K

Another Obama's empty speech.

January 12, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  9. yk

Obama did not flip-flop. His words were taken out of context. If you watch the news
    and read you would know that. Your name is your birth right. Not everyone changes to suit others. When you know who you are and where you come from,
    you do not have to change your name to make other happy. Everyone makes
    mistakes. Have you ever made a bad choice?(I guess not, you are clean and
    Pure) It takes a REAL Man to be able to admitt his mistakes, Change, and Rise
    to the height Obama is right now, even if he never become president. Time to
    put the negative crap to rest. Vote for Who you want, but you don't have to trash
    the other candidate . I guess you don't listen because your life is perfect. You
    have a great job, house, money, and you are happy that the troops are sitting
    targets in Iraq. Obama talks about change that will help the rest of us that are
    struggling with High gas prices, poor healthcare, Rising tuition, a down turn
    in our economics, the declining dollar, and bringing our loved ones home
    from Iraq.

January 12, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  10. danielo

Americans voices has been so much muzzled that people need someone with not only the right judgement, but who can inspire people to wake up and achieve higher goals!!
    Go Obama!!!

January 12, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  11. Bob, Florida - RFO

Bimmer January 12, 2008 5:55 pm ET

Not sure how you can know the facts regarding the Mother of Barack and her concern about whether or not the bills could be paid!!

Go Barack '08.

January 12, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  12. Bob, Florida - RFO

Bimmer January 12, 2008 5:45 pm ET

His name is just that his name. There's nothing written or practices that states that a Christian must have a certain name.

I see your true colors shinning through ... But don't be afraid!

Go Barack '08!

January 12, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  13. Ziggy from Virginia

Obama will win no matter what. Hillary does not stand a chance against him. Enough said.

January 12, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  14. Jim

If you want to reduce the cost of health care, get rid of the money. To make health care a cost based product, get rid of the value based system, that is, insurance. The cost of care must be divorced from returns on the value of payment for care.

January 12, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  15. dmhkh

Hillary Clinton will be the greatest President our Country has ever known. And I believe that most of America will soon come to that same conclusion. She is brilliant, tenacious, hardworking, tough and compassionate. She does not have an ego to worry about and she knows how to get things done.

January 12, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  16. Scott, Madison, WI

Bimmer:

Please inform yourself before you spout off:

Your estate and it's assets still can be tapped regardless of the type of debt you carry upon your death. It doesn't disappear into nothingness.

He took a stand before and while he was running for election in Illinois.

It's not a requirement according to the Christians I know -(and by the way, I'm an atheist) – that you take a Christian name just because you are a Christian.

I can't believe your ignorance about drug use. Some people try it and get over their experimentation or escape phase and rise above it. Others go on to lives of addiction. The lucky ones use drugs – (and alcohol – yes the most abused legal drug known to man) – recreationally which is maybe not the best choice, but at least their right if they want to take the risk. Some people never use drugs or alcohol. It's really pretty simple ...

January 12, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  17. kat

I like Obama's health plan because it's not the gov'ts responsibility to babysit us and make sure that we take care of our own health! Pyschologically speaking, a 20 year old with low wages will spend more money on video games and clothes before health insurance, but that is irresponsible. There is a difference between not paying for health care and not being able to.

January 12, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  18. Greg M

(I know, its not right to simplify it this way)
    BLACK man or white WOMAN????

with so many good options, its kinda hard to choose.
    but I gotta go with the BLACK man.

why?
    Hillary is the establishment, NO MATTER WHAT SHE SAYS!!! or HOW SHE CAMPAIGNS!!! I gotta believe that her crocodile tears are going to be repeated in the next few weeks, and I gotta believe that even if everything doesn't get fixed or better, Obama is THE MAN because hes going to change something, HE'S GOT TOO, HE"S FREAKING BLACK!!! that in itself is enough for me. America cannot elect its first non-white male and expect things NOT to change. That is change almost by definition. I've been voting for 25 years (or so), and I've NEVER been as excited and hopeful as I am now when I think that we might actually elect Obama.

VOTE OBAMA now and in November.!!!!

(by the way, I'm white and male)

January 12, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  19. tc

Certainly, "change + hope can be so seductive" and yet can be sexy as a pure slogan. But there is a risk involved if the person in charge is not up to par. I do not mind to have another 8-yr. of Clinton's prosperity. If Hillary is in office, I expect better than the old Clinton's. Hillary will bring in "change" too, do not forget.

January 12, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  20. Anand Kumar

To Bimmer above: Why should Obama change his name to prove he is a Christian? I am a Christian and I don't have a "whiteman's" name. What's in a name.

My name reflects my heritage, and I am proud of it. I am just as much a christian as anybody else. Your comments reflect ignorance.

January 12, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  21. Anonymous

Americans, please wake up. Stop being the sheep being led to the slaughter. None of the presidential candidates running for office is any better or any capable than you, but the way you all are carrying on, its like you worship these people. No one candidate has all the answers, so, although you support a candidate, you don't have to demean the others. For those of you who do not know this, a president is basically a figure head. Secondly, no president has all the answers to solve the problems we allowed to happen. The answers to solve our problems must come from all of us and not from one person. The American people are pitiful. Instead of criticizing candidates, we , as citizens should be getting more involved in determining our own fate. When policies, plans and programs are implemented in this country by our government, they are not usually the work of one man or one woman, they are the work of the President and Congress reaching consensus on what should be implemented. From my perspective, the President should make proposals, but the final policy, plan, or programs should be and will be decided by Congress and the people. The most important attribute that a president can have is to be a good listener. When I read the comments that some of you post about the candidates, I laugh because I am wondering where have all of you been since you have become old enough to vote. What President has lived up to your expectations? You can probably count them on a couple of fingers. If you want to vote for one of these candidates, be my guest. But stop trying to convince other people to vote for them. Go get a life.

January 12, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  22. Jorgen Jensen (4th generation Danish in US)

Have you thought about copying the Scandinavian model, where there's universal health care? Then you don't run the risk that any individual person chooses her or his health insurance as a function of the vallet size, i.e. everybody is taken care of in a proper fashion. Of course, if you throw in universal education, which also is part of Scandinavian culture, you also ensure a proper and high enough level of education for everybody, so that you don't have – like here in the US – so many plain stupid people, who can't read, or who can't look after themselves.

We need to seriously FIX this country. I don't think any of the current candidates ever can do it. But, if having to choose from any of them, Hillary gets my vote.

If not for any other reason then because she's a woman. Again, Scandinavia has had such a successful run with women in the highest office's for many, many years.

Scandinavia is the richest region in the world. With most happy people. With the world's least corrupt nations.

But, as they're not more than 20 million people, you seem to not care. But, listen, Norway and Denmark are self-sufficient with energy. Read it again. Actually, the EXPORT oil and gas and are accumulating wealth. Get it?

To fix this country, we need to demand more of our nation, more of our people. We must not leave it up to an elderly, poor lady to decide, if she can afford medicine. We owe it to her, as a citizen, that her old age is dignified.

We need to think Scandinavian, I believe.

January 12, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  23. Michael, Europe

From my (somewhat biased) European point of sight, this is quite an unusual way of conducting elections. Enormous money transfers every day, nothing is for free in this world...
    But that's not my point. Gentlemen, gentlewomen, I simply would like to tell you that Barack Obama directly strikes, not only me, but most of the (admittedly also somewhat biased) people I've discussed your election with as an honest, upstanding man who I'd be more than happy to see in the White House.
    What you people need is more than change, you need more than the down-to-earth solutions that Mrs. Clinton tells you are much better than the other candidates'.
    You need an ideal. The American Dream, (which, by the way, has been nearly done to death) easily gets fouled by the everyday business that is very much needed. You don't need another candidate who can give you tax cuts or declare wars. You need a leader with an ideal, a leader who doesn't break in front of the lobbyists. Someone who can reform the picture of you as the loud, slightly obnoxious ignorants the rest of the world has (we still tell stories about the hard time most Americans have when trying to find the countries they go to war with on a world map).
    You need Barack Obama. And trust me, it's not 'just me'. Just ask a European, and you'll see what I mean.

January 12, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  24. saraj jones

We need Obama for President. We need a democratic congress and senate or else there will be no change.
    Sarah

January 12, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  25. stan pitts pa

Bimmer January 12, 2008 5:55 pm ET

The ad about Mother

Nobody can go after a dead person for unpaid bills?

hey pls grow up! just because you are dying doesnt mean you should not pay your bills and leave your children a huge debt, i think your post is insensitive, cold and mean it smacks of the hrc spirit, you must be her supporter, pls show some respect for his dead mother , single mother who gave him a chance at a better life, how disrespectful of you!!!

January 12, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |