January 12th, 2008
1 year ago

Obama ads hit Super Tuesday states

Obama is hitting the airwaves in two states that vote February 5.
Obama is hitting the airwaves in two states that vote February 5.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Democrat Barack Obama’s campaign has hit the air in two February 5 states.

In Arizona, a state with a large retirement population, Obama’s new television ad relates a story he tells often on the campaign trail, about his mother’s battle with cancer and mounting medical bills.

“My mother died of cancer at 53. In those last painful months, she was more worried about paying her medical bills than getting well. I hear stories like hers everyday,” says the Illinois senator in the 30-second spot, titled “Mother.”

“For 20 years, Washington has talked about health care reform and reformed nothing. I've got a plan to cut costs and cover everyone. But unless we stop the bickering and the lobbyists we will be in the same place twenty years from now. I'm Barack Obama and I approve this message because to fix health care we have to fix Washington.”

On Friday, the campaign announced the endorsement of Janet Napolitano, the state's popular Democratic governor.

In “Quiet,” Obama points to oil as both an environmental and a national security issue, and stresses his straight-talking credentials.

“I don't accept that we should be still sending eight hundred million dollars a day, part to hostile nations because of our addiction to foreign oil,” says Obama in the new 30-second ad, airing in California. “And in the bargain we're melting the polar ice caps.

“I went to Detroit to insist that we have to increase fuel efficiency standards. Now, I have to admit, the room got kind of quiet. We can't just tell people what they want to hear. We need to tell them what they need to hear. We need to tell them the truth.”

The ads are Obama’s first in states set to vote on February 5, the so-called Super Tuesday contests.

–CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: Arizona • California • Candidate Barack Obama
  1. stan pitts pa

Bimmer January 12, 2008 5:45 pm ET

Talking about telling the truth in the ad:

Can Obama tell the truth about flip-flopping on the votes on Iraq?

Why he did not change his name to a Christian name if he is a Christian?

How can he be a good role model for kids when used and confessed to taking drugs?

seriously? obama is a lot of things to millions they share his pain and understand him, thats why people like you wonder why he has got so much support fyi people can relate to him because he is a human being!!! we have all made mistakes, obama will be president! people dont want a perfect person, because thats is not possible, he is young, fresh and full of ideas, a true academic and his diverse background makes him very appealing to most voters, also he is trying to engage Americans in discussing our problems and finding solid solutions as a people utilizing our best minds, obama is the hope for a true future, where America can compete effectively with the rest of the world, he is a true leader!!! pls keep your ignorace to yourself! Americans know a good thing/person when they see one!

January 12, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  2. Neel ny, ny

Obama is opportunist who didn't even spare his mother in greed for votes. He talked about how poor he was even though he graduated from Harvard. He went to best school in US and now he is making claims about his mother not being able to pay for medical expenses. So Obama you were able to go to all these great expense schools but your mom was worried about bills. I am sure she was worried however it must have been not being able to see you grow up. There are people who worry about medical expense then their kids are going to Harvard. SO you were not poor that you are trying to protray.

shame on you loser!!!!!!

Please give me a break!!!!

Your mother must have been turning in her grave hearing this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 12, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  3. Jr

Obama will win no matter what. Hillary does not stand a chance against him. Enough said.
    _________________________

That was said at the NH primaries.. and look what happened /lol

January 12, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  4. George

I loved Bill Clinton as President but have begun to see in the Bill/Hillary team samplance of attacking by twisting the truth and mischaracterizing of otherwise disent candidates. This kind of politics reminds of the Bush/Chaney type attacks when they ran their campaign. If they can twist the truth as they have in this campaign – to get what they want, I wonder what they will do in the whitehouse to get what they want... especially when attempting to convince the people about direction for the country. This, for me, is frightening; I want someone who has a habit of presenting truths to the – we the people. I've had my full of dishonesty with the bush administration. I have begun listing to Obama because I think he is being upfront with the public – unlike the Clinton's. The Clinton's will not get my vote in the primary or in the general election – should they win the nomination (this is a recent complete reversal for me; I did support the Clinton's, but no more). I keep using 'they' when I speak of the Clinton's because that is who her supporters are voting for – the Bill/Hillary team.

Obama is right, we need a complete change, (no more Bush's and no more Clinton's) we need hope and a new generation of leaders. As for me, I think Obama is intelligent enough to bring together a effective administration and to make intelligent choices that will to take this country in the right direction.

Annie, I suggest you not get caught up in the attack style arguments and the attitude of negativeness the Clinton's are putting forward (as if they were God's gift to politics – no matter what era they lived in). I fully respect your choice to support the Clinton's, but I suggest you take Obama's attitude of hope, optimism, and respect for others along with you, as you do.

January 12, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  5. Angel

For those of you who keep arguing for “experience”, I take your point about experience, but ultimately your arguments fail to convince especially using GWB as an example. Simply put, he REALLY sent the country (and it’s global reputation) into the sewer during his second term – AFTER he had had FOUR years of on-the-job experience. On the other side, Bill Clinton didn’t have any experience governing on a national scale either when he won the Presidency, but he arguably did a good job for eight years. To be really simple-minded about the whole experience vs. change debate, only an incumbent president can truly be said to have that level of experience. Follow that line to it’s logical conclusion and you see that touting Hillary’s so-called “experience” is spurious at best and does not stand under any scrutiny in terms of national experience.

January 12, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  6. Sharon in FL

So German and UK newspapers are calling Obama the black JFK? That's a joke. I would call Obama the black Bush–no experience, talks a good game, doesn't have a clue about foreign policy. Wimpy Obama would be four more years of George W. Who could survive that? Go Hillary Go!

January 12, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  7. Azar

He went to Columbia University and Harvard Law School on his own merit and without financial support from his family. He was the first African American to be elected as the President of Harvard Law Review. After his law degree, he could have worked in any high paying top law firms, but instead chose a low paying job to help the community. Now, he is challenging the establishment and the Clinton machine. All these and many other important things that he has done indicate that he can conquer many obstacles in his path by having an excellent vision and foresight. He is creative and his ideas are so good that others especially Hillary Clinton are adopting them and using them as their own. This man CAN and he WILL do a good job for our country.

January 12, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  8. Amy

Hillary is bogus. Bill was elected promising universal health care. The Congress was democratic. Eighty percent of the public was behind it. The economy could easily support it. Yet her program was 1000% failure. She had another 6 years to try to revive it. Let's hear the excuse for 8 years of failure on her supposed pet program – when her husband was the president no less. Now there's an election, she's promising you healthcare again just like Bill did – with an unworkable mandatory plan. The theory is that if you can fool them once, you can always fool them. As Geffen says, "the Clintons lie with such ease, it's troubling". and the NY Times' William Safire called her a "congenital liar". Hillary flunked healthcare. She flunked Iraq. She flunked Iran. She even flunked the Washington bar exam twice, and is a failure at representing a strong women, remember the tears? That's her record – her so-called experience. Say no to status quote, Vote Obama.

January 12, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  9. Mike, Oregon

Kris, It benefits us, the hard-working, middle class tax payers who won't have to pay the tremendous health care costs when uninsured people show up in emergency rooms with serious problems. I'm sick of paying a fortune for my own insurance and watching my tax money go to pay health care costs for people who don't want to cough up the bucks for their own health insurance. I'm also sick of paying for illegals who receive top-notch health care for free. (Not speaking of children here.)There should always be health care available for Americans who absolutely can't afford insurance premiums and for all children.

January 12, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  10. Jimenez

K – another empty speech from Obama. You are not kidding. I just decided to listen to him talk. Give him the benefit of the doubt so to speak. Same story. I knew it. talking about change blah blah blah someone who can do that blah blah blah. People tired of same old same old blah blah blah........... He is so boring when he speaks. But he is the ultimate bore on the debates.

I support Clinton – I have always supported Clinton. These comments about "I use "to support Clinton are BS. I know. Once a Clinton supporter always a Clinton supporter. Write away on the blogs – we continue and will continue to support this remarkable woman who can take this country "To boldly go where no man has gone before."

January 12, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  11. EDK

Dear Alice,

Affordable means that it is believed to be within the financial means of most Americans.

Obama will make it so that most Americans can pay for it without feeling strapped.

Maybe it is you who does not understand basic concepts and not Barack Obama.

Hillary will force all people to buy insurance, no guarantee that it will be less affordable.

Obama can implement his plan ASAP because it does not cost as much as Hillary's. Are you aware of the deficit?

It is pretty hard to reform healthcare, apparently, Bill Clinton didn't do it...Hillary's plan also failed. What makes you think her expensive plan can pass now?
    If you want straight talk and real reform, listen to Obama...he can probably clear up your "whatever that means" statement.

EDK

January 12, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  12. Kevin, Landover, MD

WHAT BAFFLES ME is that the Candidates and EX Presidents that SAY they care so much about the Democratic Party and the People of America SO MUCH. But yet don’t know how to get out the way when it is clearly NOT their time. Just amazes me.

The Clinton’s time has PASTED and so has Edwards. ( But they all just hang on like a old Cold sore) to the very end.

It shows how they all just get caught up in themselves and forget about us. The Clinton’s knew all about “Out with the OLD and in with the NEW when they ran in 1992. Now they are the OLD and can’t seem to get past their EGOS long enough to just step aside and let this man, Obama lead the Democratic Party. Obama will bring new voters out which will get more Congressional seats for the Democrats so things can get done for a change. Obama has cross over appeal to Republicans and Independents. But I guess at some point all that became back seat issue for the Clintons HUGH EGOS.

January 12, 2008 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  13. Richard, Ewing NJ

Obama should have a more concrete plan for his change. Everyone want to change, but there must be some realistic plans.

January 12, 2008 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  14. Marsha

I wonder if he's running this add in S.C. where he's looking for the "black" vote.

January 12, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  15. Dr. Hart

Yeah right, and how do you figure Hillary is going to solve the health care problem when she is busy courting health insurance company LOBBYISTS and have already TRIED AND FAILED to overhaul Healthcare. How in the heck do you figure she will succed now?????? BARACK OBAMA for President of the United States of America! YES WE CAN!

January 12, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  16. Marsha

If I read "YES WE CAN" one more time I'm going to throw up on my key board! The way you brainwashed Obamamites can listen to the preacher wanna be and hear "Yes we can" and be so easily swayed to believe that this man is going to make a difference because of the way he sounds is laughable. What because he told you a stor similar to the Little Engine that could?

Go read a bed time story instead...Obama is in Fatasy Land. I admire his dream, but I want someone rooted in reality. I don't need another Bush who does what he wants without being rooted in the real world.

January 12, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  17. Caleb, CA

First of all, when trying to make a valid argument, refrain from smiley's; we know they are cute, but take away from your argument. Many of these comments are youtube quality, yet I will still partake in this debate. Those of you who harp "experience" is important, the Bush administration has been a prime example of what "experience" can bring you. What this nation needs is not experience, but intelligence. The fact is that this nation has been split in two, and Hilary Clinton sits on the side of the old establishment. The republican smearing team has had sixteen years of building a case against Hilary that whenever you mention her name to a casual republican, they show distain. There are a lot of moderate republicans who do not want to vote for any of the republican nominees, yet will choose dirt over Mrs. Clinton. Why should that effect your vote? because another democratic winning is far better than Sen. Clinton losing the general election.

We all know that change is the new campaign buzzword. Yet, the type of change that Obama speaks about is changing the direction this nation is heading toward to a much more united country. I like the Clintons, but they should serve a much more advisory role to Obama, because that's where their experience would be more useful. Petty distortions of the truth are dirty politics, of which will should all hold candidates to a much higher standard. I understand that many of you will continue to shout and promote your candidate until the primaries are settled, but please look at the bigger picture. It isn't who you stand for but which candidate will stand for you. For me, it's Senator Obama because when he speaks, he makes even those who don't agree with him listen.

January 12, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  18. Bob, Florida - RFO

Presidential Candidates – Power rankings Comparison

Below is a list of current Members of Congress who are/were presidential:

2005 Score/Rank 2006 Score/Rank 2007 Score/Rank
    Joe Biden 40.88 / 28 42.88 / 26 19.31 / 44
    Hillary Clinton 35.06 / 41 37.81 / 39 29.84 / 12
    Chris Dodd 39.25 / 32 31.81 / 55 19.44 / 43
    John McCain 80.94 / 3 53.62 / 11 26.75 / 18
    Barack Obama 25.68 / 68 32.56 / 51 24.02 / 27

Barack Obama is ranked as the most powerful Senator that was Elected to the Senate in 2004. That elected class contained 7 Republicans and 2 Democrats and included GOP Chairman Mel Martinez who is ranked 6th with a power rating of 9.95 and a Senate ranking of 89.

Barack's power rating and rank for 2007 was better then Joe Biden and Chris Dodd in 2007.

To be fair and balanced Hillary is also Ranked Number 1 for the Elected Class of 2000!

Summary:
    For 2007 Hillary's power rating of 29.84 is 19.6% greater then Barack's at 24.02 when comparing them directly.

For 2006 the rating was closer with Hillary at 37.81 and Barack at 32.56. Both candidates power ratings dropped in 2007 due to election campaigning.

Hillary does not hold a significant power rating advantage over Barack in while serving in the Senate.

Go Barack '08.

January 12, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  19. Hope

Clinton will take this country to boldy go where no man has gone before. Clinton 08

January 12, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  20. JACK ny, ny

AZAR- since you know so much about Obama, May be you can explain why he voted PRESENT on key issues in senate.

Please stop all those lame excuses for this guy

January 12, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  21. From an independent

I don't know who I will vote for yet. I'm just watching things now, but here are some general things I've noticed:

1) The democrats eat each other alive and seem to always make it so much easier for the republicans.

2) There are tons of people who will never vote for Hillary (including me and most of the people I know.

3) Every other week, BIll puts his foot and his mouth (and will continue).

4) Obama still has a few things to prove, but people are starting to understand him better...and it's working in his favor.

5) The republicans have more strength with McCain's experience, period.

6) The media is baffled and confused by their own polling.

There are lots of things defying history. I think in about three weeks everyone is going to be surprised again.

So far, you have to agree it's been quite interesting and with each vote it's not quite like anyone would have envisioned. Stay tuned.

January 12, 2008 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  22. John Adkisson, Sacramento, California

Whenever I see a picture of this woman and her young son - and think of the times she lived in - and the challenges she must have faced in a pre-enlightened America –I marvel at the kind of courage and character she must have possessed. No wonder her offspring is such an exemplary man.

January 12, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  23. Mary

Okay people really if Obama becomes president, he will be just like Bush another talking head. He will hire another VP like the devil we have now and people like him if that's what you vote for Obama another do boy!!!!!!!!!

January 12, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  24. xtina chicago IL

I don't agree with any candidate who would tell a private car manufacturer that their products must all give higher fuel efficiency. I would give tax breaks to people who buy them and I'd love to see people have more of the fuel efficient cars, but I wouldn't give the fed. gov't the power to control the car business, nor the power to tell people what to drive. What's next? Telling us what we can eat? Also, I don't agree with people who must have big, gas-guzzling cars and who insist on fast, eight and 12 cylinder cars, but I'll defend their right to drive them.

January 12, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |