January 12th, 2008

Obama ads hit Super Tuesday states

Obama is hitting the airwaves in two states that vote February 5.
Obama is hitting the airwaves in two states that vote February 5.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Democrat Barack Obama’s campaign has hit the air in two February 5 states.

In Arizona, a state with a large retirement population, Obama’s new television ad relates a story he tells often on the campaign trail, about his mother’s battle with cancer and mounting medical bills.

“My mother died of cancer at 53. In those last painful months, she was more worried about paying her medical bills than getting well. I hear stories like hers everyday,” says the Illinois senator in the 30-second spot, titled “Mother.”

“For 20 years, Washington has talked about health care reform and reformed nothing. I've got a plan to cut costs and cover everyone. But unless we stop the bickering and the lobbyists we will be in the same place twenty years from now. I'm Barack Obama and I approve this message because to fix health care we have to fix Washington.”

On Friday, the campaign announced the endorsement of Janet Napolitano, the state's popular Democratic governor.

In “Quiet,” Obama points to oil as both an environmental and a national security issue, and stresses his straight-talking credentials.

“I don't accept that we should be still sending eight hundred million dollars a day, part to hostile nations because of our addiction to foreign oil,” says Obama in the new 30-second ad, airing in California. “And in the bargain we're melting the polar ice caps.

“I went to Detroit to insist that we have to increase fuel efficiency standards. Now, I have to admit, the room got kind of quiet. We can't just tell people what they want to hear. We need to tell them what they need to hear. We need to tell them the truth.”

The ads are Obama’s first in states set to vote on February 5, the so-called Super Tuesday contests.

–CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: Arizona • California • Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Anon, Seattle

If Hillary Clinton is elected, we are looking at 28 straight years (if she's elected 2 terms) of Bushes and Clintons. Enough!

Barack Obama is honest, straightforward, and I find his youthful optimism refreshing!
    He makes me believe in this country again.

VOTE OBAMA.

January 13, 2008 12:29 am at 12:29 am |
  2. YouthVoter, CA

Obama tells me change is new, I agree (not knowing every election Presidential politicians talk about change and nothing changes).

Obama tells me to hope so i start hoping.

Obama tells me to change, so I change my parents since they are past and status quo.

Obama tells me to repeat Hillary hatred post 100 times a day, so i do. It's a change from my other work.

Obama tells me to convince my other immature youth friends to cheer for change, so I do it.

January 13, 2008 12:32 am at 12:32 am |
  3. Ellen

Obama's plan is just right. We cannot create a nanny state of mandating everything. There has to be a balance. Let the 20 somethings learn the hard way that personal responsibility is the key to a successful life. Yes, we need government healthcare but not the strict, mandatory versions. We can compromise and come up with a good plan.

January 13, 2008 12:42 am at 12:42 am |
  4. Eli

I find distasteful for a politician to use the memory of his dead mother to gain votes.

My understanding is that his mother lived in Indonesia and was married with an Indonesian oil manager. She left the United States, right? Was she back In States when she was ill? She definitely had a tragic fate to die of cancer so young, but its hard for me to imagine that the money were the problem. First, she had a quite wealthy husband. Second, her son Obama graduated with a BA in 1983 when he started to earn money, and in 1991 he got his law degree and became an attorney. Does it look like a poor family? His mother died in 1995.

I hate to make an insensitive comment, but Obama is using the memory of his mother to gain political points and this looks very insensitive to me.

January 13, 2008 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  5. Bimmer

The reasons Obama went to church and did not change his name are politically convenieint i.e. to get votes from both groups.

The reason Obama confessed to drug addiction in his book was to kill the issue, knowing that if the media find it out later it could become an embarassing issue. He took the chance calculating that Americans will forgive the confession. But that does not diminish the point that he is a bad role model for kids on this point, becuase they will think if he could do it , so can they.

As to his talking about his mother's worrying more about the medical bills than getting well in the ad dubbed "Mother," he is the one who is politicizing her dreadful death. A lot of people lose their loved ones to cancer and oither diseases and many of these families really cannot afford seeing a doctor. They are way worse off than a mother who was able to send her son to two expensive Ivy leagye schools.

As a person from another country who has no direct stake in the US election, I find it amusing that when questions about Obama's decisions, ads and positions are raised, his supporters cannot take it and start attacking the person who raises the issues. But these same people have no problem in attacking Obama's opponents and their spouses with inappropriate langauges. In a democracy, should not every candidate be subjected to the same amount of scrutiny?

January 13, 2008 01:15 am at 1:15 am |
  6. Audrey in Alexandria, Virginia

Experience does not guarantee you are better for any job. In life how many of us work with co-workers who have more experience than us however, they do not do a better job. I have also seen new employees enter a job with little experience and they quickly excell at their work and surpass others who have more experience.

Usually those that work hard and accomplish much on the job are those that have a passion for what they do. And Barack Obama is a man that demonstrates that passion in wanting to serve our country.

He is a man in his 40's that has shown he has a relentless spirit. He speaks to us in a fresh voice, not copying other speeches or sounding like other politicians but his true character comes out through his speeches that show his efforts, to choose the right word and to express the right thoughts.

If Obama becomes president he will be surrounded by appointed officials and advisors that have experience also. He is not in this job alone. He has the qualities of a born leader. And that is something you cannot teach. Experience may help you but, it is not what alone makes a president great.

January 13, 2008 01:28 am at 1:28 am |
  7. New York Dem

I used to be a strong supporter of Hillary Clinton, but no more. I just don't trust anything she says anymore. I hate to say that, but it's true.

I have a lot of respect for John Edwards, but I simply don't think he has a chance of winning at this point.

Barack Obama has a message of hope and fundamental change that really excites and inspires me. I think he's the only candidate who can unite our country and build a working majority that can change the way things work in Washington. I also trust Barack's judgment. He has earned my vote and I'm going to proudly support him in the NY primary.

January 13, 2008 01:35 am at 1:35 am |
  8. Dr. Hart

Marsha – YES WE CAN!

The ONLY thing people seem to be harping on in Hiliary's favor is "experience". Let me be clear, and as others have mentioned, experience means absolutely nothing! Look at ol George W. He had 4 years of presidential experience...screwed up and, because of how many people were blind , was re-elected to screw up for another 4 years! What does matter is common sense, good judgement, and intellectual competence. It is the crew that the president appoints that is charged with carrying out the president's directives. There is no doubt which candidate, among democrats and republicans has the BEST judgement and intellectual competence.

Obama 08 baby!

January 13, 2008 02:06 am at 2:06 am |
  9. James Brown ( Independent )

Obama is a man with a vision and conviction , to say nothing about being very intelligent. I could care less about how long he has been in Washington , and to be honest , i see his lack of "TIME" as one of his greatest assets.

The man understands that real change comes from the bottom up , and with the will of the American people behind you " all things are possible".

There is a bunch of people that hate Hillary Clinton...........why ?............because she represents everything that is wrong with Washington today. She will say or do ANYTHING to get elected because that's who she is. If you think America is divided now , put Clinton in there. We can not handle another 4 to 8 years of America going down the tubes , because nothing gets done in Washington.

With Hillary its all about her and her entitlement issues.........."Not the American People".

We need change and Obama does that for AMERICA.

OBAMA 08

January 13, 2008 03:00 am at 3:00 am |
  10. swissdiver

Another misleading ad from a man in disguise. I can't believe Obama is using his deceased mother to get sympathy and beg for votes, What a pathetic thing to do.

January 13, 2008 03:13 am at 3:13 am |
  11. Glen

If Obama becomes President, he will not wait 3-5 years to contact many of the leaders of the countries that at least use to support the USA until Bush decided our way or the Highway.
    On another note, Hillary knew about Bills affair, the thing is she was so busy wearing the pants in the family, she did not realize his had a zipper.

She is a woman who wants power, that is what it is all about. It is not about children, elders, employment, education, healthcare and peace. It is all about her having power. You can see it in her eyes, even when she tried to seem emotional, her eyes showed true evil.

It you think your national security is in danager now, imagine what it would be under another Clinton.

Vote for the person who can truely inspire all ages, both genders and all political types that you can have a dream and the people who dream together, stand together, work together and grow together.

Obama, for the sake of the rest of the free world, good luck.

January 13, 2008 03:26 am at 3:26 am |
  12. Fredo

When presidential power remains in the hands of just a few for so long, it is not good for any country!!! Check out what the historical facts are.....and begin asking yourselves whether this country can be an exception!! I think we should end the Bushian and Clintonian dynasties!!! And remember the success or failure of any president depends largely on the people they surround themselves with.
    The rest of the world is watching!!! You can't teach an old ....any new tricks it would still be stuck in its old ways. Old ways are difficult if not impossible to change. Some candidates are taking American loyalty for granted!!! It's time to change the guards!!! Who divided and continue to divide Americans-– the so called experienced all knowing people. If the love this nation that much they would work to unite the people. I would not vote for anyone who seeks to divide us, in any way because UNITED WE STAND AS A NATION DIVIDE WE FALL!! got that

January 13, 2008 03:51 am at 3:51 am |
  13. Leilani WA

To Neel ny of NY: Barack Obama & wife Michelle graduated from Havard through hard work and sheer determination. They took out mostly student loans which they have since paid off. If you have any brains you'd know that you don't necessarily need alot of money to reach higher education.

Mary: Please think before you pen. Obama might be the best thing for America right now. He has my vote..

'Obama 08'...'kia ora'

January 13, 2008 03:53 am at 3:53 am |
  14. Zoe Artemis

Hillary Clinton's proposed Health Care plan failed miserably while she was first lady....she made no significant accomplishments as first lady and as a NY senator she has not accomplished anything whatsoever. I'm a New Yorker and I know, plus her opponet at the time was lightweight Rick Lazio.....all her so called experience translates into a big zero. She is brilliant to be sure, but she doesn't have the persona, the charisma or the charm to take it to the next level. She's is way to polarizing. I want a President that inspires - who inspires us the citizens to fight back, to organize and make things happen and make change. Barack will surround himself with the best and the brightest--that's what a good President does.....he/she INSPIRES.

January 13, 2008 03:57 am at 3:57 am |
  15. Leroy

I'm waiting on my bro to promise fried chicken on everybodys table on sunday and a watermelon chilling in the fridge before i endorse him......still waiting bro!!

January 13, 2008 06:21 am at 6:21 am |
  16. JACK ny, ny

I am still waiting for response from Obama supporter who are chanting like maniac

since you know so much about Obama, May be you can explain why he voted PRESENT on key issues in senate.

Please stop all those lame excuses for this guy

January 13, 2008 08:23 am at 8:23 am |
  17. Robert Schuetz

Barack Mohammed Obana ,? Why don't you straighten out your own state Goverment first.? YOU, like your Governor, do nothing , let the infa stucture down.

Now your fantastic career. You had no respect for our Generals, or what they have to say. All you know is bring the troops home. You will be no Roosevelt. Go back an read up on world war 2. What a difference 60 years makes.!!!

Back then no News paper would of dared point out certain weak spots in our cities, where bombs could be set off, to cause maxium damage.Men too old or on medically 4F lied about their age or conditionting,trying their best to join the military. Women doubled their work to keep thigs going at home.Hash rationing of everything from gasoline to soap , to butter was imposed, yet there was very little complaing.

Teachers started off each day of school with the pledge.Childer gathered pieces of medal , an sold it , an bought Saving stamps, then Bonds.

You would never got by with calling, one of our Generals, BE TRAY US , You May of learned to Salute our Flag during the Pledge.

No. President Bush did not make a mistake in his handling of terrorism. He made the mistake of beliving that we still had the courage an fortitude of our fathers.He belived that this was still the country that our fathers fought so dearly to preserve..

As of now you , don't show me as a leader, in time of crises..

I am an independent. I am a veteran. And I support my Country.

So we either win it or lose it- and you aint gonna like loosing it.

America is not at war, the Military is at war. America is at the mall

January 13, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  18. William

America is ready for the first Independent candidtae in nations history. Americans have lost trust with either party. They tried, hoped and voted democrats in 2006, to bring back the troops but they have lost the hope. Now the democrats have come up with another plan- Vote for change. This time Americans have become smart and they will not be fooled by this rhetoric. They will change the face of politics and create history.

Go Independents 2008

January 13, 2008 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  19. no4fox

why do they I mean the right wing news media keep calling obama african american he is half white that would make him a molato a half bread not if you want to call race why isnt he white american witch he is not i repeat to all news orgs. he is not african american call it what it is

January 13, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  20. David Holmberg

Why not cool it down a bit. One of them will be the Democrats choice, no need of hatred. No need of talk about "false tears", "ice queen"

I wonder, though. If we would have had a female candidate that had been more or less an alcoholic into her 40's or if she had been woman with several affairs and broken men behind her, would she even have had the slightest chance of winning? You know the answer is no. We've had male presidents like that, but would never ever have a female president with such history. Women and men simply dont play this game equally.

However, now we have a strong and capable woman in the race with an allready strong adminstration behind her. And do not fool yourself, if we don't get Hillary now there wil be several decades until we get a strong female candidate again.

And Bill as the "Ambassador to the world", would be a great bonus.

January 13, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  21. Ronald Nfor, NY

Eric, California, says, do not vote for Obama because he is a "fantasy" story. Sounds just like Clinton's "fairy tale" tirade. Last time I checked, America was a country where everyone can aspire to be what they want to be. An American- born citizen who has worked hard, done well in school and has been elected to the Illionois and US senates and running for president. To some it's just a fairy tale or a fantasy. So much for the ideals of America. To Leroy, I say check your soul for traits of racism before you endorse anyone.
    Now to address Hillary's propects of winning the nomination and the general election, I don't doubt that she can achieve both feats. The question that remains unanswered is whether she will be able to govern once she wins. As a polarizing figure, I doubt she will be able to reach across the aisle and build the type of coalitions necessary to govern effectively. So all her campaign slogans may just die after she wins the white house. This is America where the president does not rule by edicts or decrees. She will need congress to make good on her promises if she wins. I am not sure the Republicans will cut her any slack.

January 13, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  22. Ronald Nfor, NY

Response to Stan Pitts Pa "Why he did not change his name to a Christian name if he is a Christian"

Please refer me to a text in the Bible that says you must change your name once you convert to Christianity. Please if you don't have anything better to say you can at least read the Bible before posting erroneous comments. Some of the people reading the blogs are actually better informed than you think.

January 13, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  23. Len, Fallbrook, CA

Pandering 101....

It is about time as Americans that we get off our dead butts and do what we should and could be doing for ourselves.

All three, Hillary, Obama, and John make great promises to give us everything for our votes with no idea how to pay for their pandering. They are the problem, not the solution. What is next? Free housing and food?

The Gov't should be used as a safety net for those in temp need but not a way of life for years, sometimes decades. Your success used to be based on how hard you work, not what you can suck from the Gov't. at someone's else expense.

Sooner or later those that work hard and pay the taxes they will raise will just stop working because half of what they earn goes to the Gov't.

Then what?

The buzzwords of free health care for all, foreign oil, and global warming are nice, but they are just buzzwords, not soultions.

Not one of them offer solutions, we hear "change", "tax the rich and greedy corporations", and protect the envioroment. Sounds nice, have a plan??

Hillary is experience by osmosis and will give 4 more years of infighing and investigaions.

Obama is a smooth talker, but has yet to list what will change and how.

John, rich trial lawyer committed to help the lower class, yeah right.

January 13, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  24. Dominic price

Gentlemen/women,
    As an Irish person living in the Netherlands, for me , it is blatant that your organisation is biased agains the Hilary Clinton campaigne. Your every day reports on her and her campaigne are suripticious negative . Why do you not come clean and declare your political interests and whom you support in this electiont.

Dominic Price

January 13, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  25. Dominic price

AMERICANS,

As an Irish person living in the Netherlands , it grieves me that your organisation is so blatantly biased against the Clinton political campaign. Your every day reports contain negative (though not all that obvious) issues about her campaign, but not so ,regarding her competitors in the race .
    Why do you not openly declare you political alligiances?

Dominic Price