January 13th, 2008
1 year ago

Clinton: 'I am so proud of Obama'

Clinton mingles with church-goers after services at the Northminster Presbyterian Church.

COLUMBIA, South Carolina (CNN) – Hours after Democrat Hillary Clinton was sharply critical of rival Barack Obama in an interview on NBC's Meet The Press, the New York senator struck a different tone on his candidacy in a predominantly African-American church in South Carolina.

"Probably many of us thought we would never see the day when an African-American and a woman were competing for the presidency of the United States," Clinton said at the Northminster Presbyterian Church in Columbia. "I am so proud of my party I am so proud of my country and I am so proud of Sen. Barack Obama, because together we have presented our cases to the people."

"I am standing here, Senator Obama stands before you as a result of the generations of men and women who protested and picketed, faced dogs and tear gas," she continued. "Who were beaten and jailed who had night sticks crush their skulls. Some who lost their very lives. They risked their lives because they looked into the eyes of their children and saw the promise of a better future. We stand here today because of their sacrifice."

Clinton's comments followed her hour-long appearance on Meet The Press, in which she accused Obama's campaign of distorting remarks that she and her husband have made in recent days which touched off concerns among some African-American voters. Obama later rejected Clinton's complaints as "ludicrous."

Both Democrats are in a heated fight for the support of black voters, particularly in the South Carolina Democratic primary on January 26.

– CNN's Sasha Johnson and Alexander Mooney

1. mark wilkes barre pa

Youth voter USA,,, thank you for your honesty ,,,if you are who you say you are,, one never knows here,,, If what you say is what goes on in your generation,, that is truelly sad,,,
    I'm guessing your age to be 18 to 25,, your probably at college hearing this crap,,,,This is the time of your life, you will never have more time to be what you want to be,do what you want to do, really experience life to the fullest, learn life lessons by your own actions instead of what some one who cant do for real so they teach , tells you to do. what you allow your self to acomplish between the ages of 18 through 30 will decide what you will do and who you are as a person for the rest of your life,, Dont waste it,, us old farts are counting on you, Take what you hear from your following friends or people you feel are shepparding your thoughts and challenge yourself to find out what YOU believe to be the truth,, do not take what your teachers or some talking point giver says as the gospel You have your own brain,, use it,,, that way you will never be sorry when you look back

January 14, 2008 05:43 am at 5:43 am |
  2. anon middle america

James January 13, 2008 3:36 pm ET

"I didnt know that white women were discrimated against to the extent that blacks were and had "nightsticks crushed on their skulls" and faced "dogs and tear gas" , Hitlery is just trying to pander and act like she can identify. She came from priveledge and cant relate to the average American."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I take issue with this statement James, because you are clearly not old enough to KNOW what actually transpired during the Civil Right's Movement. It was NOT just blacks who stood up and protested and marched and "faced dogs and were tear gassed" and were knocked down and trampled!!! What is wrong with you people :( don't you ever engage your brains before you spout your hate and nonsense?!

IF you brainless wonders have absolutely no clue what went down during the 60's then shut the f**k up!! The rest of us are sick and tired of listening to you whine and snivel and flame everyone else's canidates! If this is an example of Obama's ability to be The Great Uniter - in the famous words of Kerry's wife = "shove it"

January 14, 2008 06:03 am at 6:03 am |
  3. Tired of the same old, same old

I'm sorry but is Obama or Orpah running for President? Everyone worships Orpah and if she is running for President, oops I mean helping OBAMA run for President ,maybe that should tell us something...

Then again, everyone seems to worship Al Gore at the moment, so let's go back and remember who Al Gore supports...that's right Clinton.

Forget it, I'm voting for Edwards. Enough of this he said she said. I went through that in Junior High.

January 14, 2008 07:28 am at 7:28 am |
  4. Lisa

Brady – this is an old endorsement, she did endorsed Hillary over one month ago – before the primaries were held.

January 14, 2008 07:39 am at 7:39 am |
  5. Chris, Middletown, CT

You party falls for this...your party relies on the "disenfranchised voters" – your party relies on promises of massive entitlements for those who haven't done a thing to help themselves....the "punish the rich" for reaching the American dream is getting old...and this slide into socialism is sickening

Anyone who supports Clinton baffles me (and any literate person out there)

January 14, 2008 07:47 am at 7:47 am |
  6. PJ, New York

Why doesn't Barack Obama salute/acknowledge the American flag? I have family in the military/Iraq and I personally find it offensive, especially someone who wants to be our leader.

January 14, 2008 07:49 am at 7:49 am |
  7. Jack K.

That's great news–and endorsement from Hillary.

I'm personally disgusted and bored with the rhetoric and divisiveness already. Neither is matching the agenda I've endorsed–that of John Edwards.

They are BOTH –Party Hacks–who will promise everything–but give us only the same old tired solutions–that their biggest supporters (the special interest groups, lobbyiest–and organizations like the NEA, AARP, ACLU....) will allow them to provide (and their lawyers will probably draft the legislation). They will say and do anything t o keep the "big money " filling DEM Party coffers and war chests!

I'm for John Edwards–he promises to NOT be under the thumbs of the special interests–and still has not collected a "dime" from them.

January 14, 2008 08:02 am at 8:02 am |
  8. Andrea Hoch

I'm surprised at how many people don't bother reading the facts about what the candidates have accomplished for our country, but instead, judge them by their personalities while campaigning. Leaders can't always be the perfect people some people expect them to be. Shouldn't we be more concerned about what the candidates have given to the world, and what they can do for our awesome country in the future? At one time, our country voted for presidents without ever seeing them, because there was no TV. We've become a great country due to all those great leaders that we have elected. In other words America, quit paying attention to the bullcrap you're seeing on TV and instead, do your homework; research the accomplishments of all the candidates in both parties and make a responsible, informed decision. You owe it to yourself and your children!

January 14, 2008 08:12 am at 8:12 am |
  9. roger, conway sc

GET READY AMERICA if Obama & his supporters are offeneded by Bill & Hillary's comments they are looking for something to get upset over...IF OBAMA is elected president this is what we will be dealing with the entire time he is president...everytime a comment is made that offends MR OBAMA the nation will be blasted by the media for weeks listening to Donna Brazzelle, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, & Roland Martin tell how offended they are & demanding an apology...It is not the white american's that is not ready for a black president it is some of the black leadership that are not ready to take on the responsibility and move on and take care of what needs to be done to better our nation. I understand the media is responsible for spinning most of this by creating animosty between policticians and keeping it stirred up.

January 14, 2008 08:37 am at 8:37 am |
  10. william walsh col ohio

by far hillery clinton is an assest to the political process, and further is most likley one of the most intellegent people on the planet, her vocabulary is unmatched and her speaking ability without a doubt is the best i have ever listoned too, very educated, has direction,and goals, im not real crazy about the gun issues and dont think that would happen in the u.s but she is a comunicator above the rest, very plesant to watch,this women has the ability to run,and the concerns of this country at hand, after watching and hereing her sunday i think she should be the next president of the united states,

January 14, 2008 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  11. Nancy

Yes, haven't you been listening to the news and the reading the newspapers. It is true. I frankley love the clintons and i am a black african american. hillary will make a difference in american and as president i know that she will certainly get things done the right way.

January 14, 2008 09:04 am at 9:04 am |
  12. Jim, Columbus, OH

She must be proud that Obama's campaign, like hers, takes bundles of lobbyist cash to finance political activities and leaves voters' interests out of the equation. A vote for Clinton or Obama is like a vote for the Republicans....Way to go....

January 14, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  13. anon middle america

Bethy – In fact Obama stole McCain's campaign slogan "Straight Talk" when he got to NH. How lame is that??

McCain has ALWAYS used that phrase and his bus is even called the "Straight Talk Express". Then along comes Obama and starts using it in NH and NOW even is using it in an ad airing in CA = In “Quiet,” Obama points to oil as both an environmental and a national security issue, and stresses his STRAIGHT TALKING credentials. (How new and refreshing NOT

So far he's channeled MLK and now Cesar Chavez "Si se puede – Yes we can"

Who is he going to channel next Confucius ;) He certainly is a chameleon that's for sure. Never a dull moment!!

January 14, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  14. danielo

Why does Clinton keep raising the issue of a woman and black running for presidency and trying to drag Obama into it. We all know that Barack is not running because he's black or to make history and thats why he has consistently not talked gender or race as his strengths.
    Hillary is running largely to be the first woman president, a legitimate reason. Its just wrong for her to push up the race and gender card and then accuse Obama of bringing up these issues when Obama responds to her attacks.

January 14, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  15. Frank, Waverly, NY

I think I am going to throw up!

January 14, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  16. anon middle america

"The reason we did not get Universal Health Care during the Clinton administration was because of Hillary and her actions toward many people at that time. I can not see how she has changed any of her tactics to get what she wants."

^^^^^^^^^^^ NO ANNIE the reason you didn't get Universal Health Care during the Clinton years is because the GOP and Newt Gingrich personally engineered its demise!!

"After Bill Clinton became president in 1993, Gingrich, then a Republican congressman from Georgia, orchestrated the defeat of one the new Democratic administration’s signature initiatives: a universal health care plan led by Hillary Clinton."

Does anyone have a clue what they are bashing Hillary for or are they all just the usual same old same old run of the mill hillaryhaters :( who leave goey slug trails of copy-paste everywhere they go??

HOWEVER GOTTA LOVE YOUTH VOTER USA = Youth Voter, USA January 13, 2008 6:18 pm ET
    What it means to be a youth in USA!

Years of national public service = washington politics.
    2 years of national public service = not washington politics

Obama tells me change is new, I agree (not knowing every election Presidential politicians talk about change and nothing changes).

Obama tells me to hope so i start hoping.

Obama tells me to change, so I change my parents since they are past and status quo.

My friends (fellow Obama supporters) tell me to repeat Hillary hate posts 100 times a day, so I do it. It's a change from my other work.

Obama tells me to convince my other immature youth friends to cheer for change, I do it.

Obama tells me to ignore experience, so I ignore my parents experience of knowing the world as again, they are past and status quo.

I ignore every old person who was served nationally as they are status quo. Your national service doesnt count in the new world of hatred filled starry eyed fairy tale following youths like me.
    :) FINALLY A YOUTH WHO DIDN'T WASTE HIS EDUCATION

January 14, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  17. Chris, Middletown, CT

Anon-

There comes a point and time where "the same players equal the same result"

Clinton stated this campaign with standard "Clinton speak" – basically answering questions like Bill – with non answers....(look at her answer to supporting the Gov of NY licensing of illegal aliens...."I support the Gov" – then pressed you "support licensing illegal aliens?" – "no, but I support the Governors actions and would do the same thing" – "so...you support giving drivers licenses to illegal aliens?" – "no"

Replay the Univeral Healthcare v1 – (and nothing has changed for v2) – taxes will be raised – to as much as 50% (like they pay in Canada) – for a sub par healthcare system....this is why Bill Clinton – with support of this – lost the Democrats control of the house and senate for decades....the plan is Saul Alinskys plan from Hillarys youth....Saul was a Marix btw (read up my friend)

January 14, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  18. Sharon

She's so proud of Sen. Obama for exhibiting courage and determination in the face of the Clinton Attack Machine? Typical phony Clintonian nonsense. Will this country ever be ready to turn the page on the Bush/Clinton era of infighting and inadequacy?

January 14, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  19. RuthieM

Who is she his mama? Gee, thanks, Hillary, you are 'so proud of Obama'. You know, this condescension towards blacks really needs to stop. Maybe the Clinton's really don't know what they sound like when certain words come out of their mouths but somebody needs to tell them to stop while they're ahead. If it's not too late. She even did the same thing among the Hispanics the other day when she compared their situation or something to 'guacamole and chips'? Oh brother!

January 14, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  20. Jr., California

Please, Hillary, ....... please.

January 14, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  21. jerome thailing

Hi Lou Dobbs, I enjoy your commentary and your presence. I applaud you for your candor in especially two areas. You call it like like it is on immigration issue and call illegals as ALIENS, not immigrants. You also call the peoples republic RED China as it really is. Again thank you...Jerome in Arizona

January 14, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  22. Bill, Manhattan, NYC

Oh my, Clinton is going to be elected by women and those we are married to. Talk about strange bed fellows!

January 14, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  23. Lee Chang, Surrey, Canada

Americans: its good to dream, but you dont want a country to be dreamers, otherwise America will be a dreamers' land not a dreamland. Meaning, you must elect a President who is a dreamer with substance – like Hilary, not a dreamer without substance – like Obama. Good luck America, with your choice.
    Lee Chang

January 14, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  24. Margaret D

I'm tired of Obama playing the *Race* card just like Oprah does in her program. They always reversed what they said and at the end it makes them look like the *victims* give it up!! sick and tired of the race game,
    I"m spanish and i never play the race game, because it will demostrated the person has no *class* .And no self confidence of who they are or where they belong. Diminishing their heritage.
    I'm an independent and right now my vote will go either for Huckabee or Senator Clinton. I will decide November 2008.

January 14, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  25. Brian Soe

If Hillary did not praise Obama then Hillary haters will say she is all about winning.But when she does so, then her haters will again accuse her of another. Give her a break. Be decent!!

January 14, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |