January 13th, 2008
1 year ago

Clinton: 'I am so proud of Obama'

Clinton mingles with church-goers after services at the Northminster Presbyterian Church.

COLUMBIA, South Carolina (CNN) – Hours after Democrat Hillary Clinton was sharply critical of rival Barack Obama in an interview on NBC's Meet The Press, the New York senator struck a different tone on his candidacy in a predominantly African-American church in South Carolina.

"Probably many of us thought we would never see the day when an African-American and a woman were competing for the presidency of the United States," Clinton said at the Northminster Presbyterian Church in Columbia. "I am so proud of my party I am so proud of my country and I am so proud of Sen. Barack Obama, because together we have presented our cases to the people."

"I am standing here, Senator Obama stands before you as a result of the generations of men and women who protested and picketed, faced dogs and tear gas," she continued. "Who were beaten and jailed who had night sticks crush their skulls. Some who lost their very lives. They risked their lives because they looked into the eyes of their children and saw the promise of a better future. We stand here today because of their sacrifice."

Clinton's comments followed her hour-long appearance on Meet The Press, in which she accused Obama's campaign of distorting remarks that she and her husband have made in recent days which touched off concerns among some African-American voters. Obama later rejected Clinton's complaints as "ludicrous."

Both Democrats are in a heated fight for the support of black voters, particularly in the South Carolina Democratic primary on January 26.

– CNN's Sasha Johnson and Alexander Mooney

1. Devyani

Even Obama said on CNN "Hillary you're likable too" but went on claiming he is better person to bring about changes. Mr.Obama in this period of time experience is key, believe it or not.

January 13, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  2. AG

I am really disappointed in the Hillary Clinton. It is unfortunate that she does not think that the American people, black, white or otherwise, are smart enough to see that she is trying to make us think that Barack Obama is playing the race card. He has not said that she and her husband made racist remarks. Bill took it upon himself go on several predominately black radio shows and make the case that his remarks were not racist. Hillary, give us some credit we are smarter than this. We see it for what it really is.

January 13, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  3. jimmy

No wonder Black People will never stop being used by white people!!

January 13, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  4. S. Daf, Jumprope, WI

This is TYPICAL Clintonian. I love them, but they could be so dishonest. Attempting to benefit from ALL sides of the argument. Sounds familiar?
    But this has to TOP 'em all. She says one thing on MEET THE PRESS
    and few hours LATER changes her tone, and says something ELSE to
    a black crowd. OBAMA has never played the race card, and she knows it.
    This shinenigans will catch up with her soon. She acts tough, but when
    they say show a human side, she cries. Come on give me a BREAK!!!

January 13, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  5. Dave

She is shameless.

January 13, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  6. Patricia

Hilliary ad Bill both played the race and gender card. Obama has never mentioned the fact yes he is indeed an American who happens to be Black. He has included us all in the fight to reclaim our country back.

Hilliary used the gender card in N.H. through her tears when she said, "WE HAVE TO REVERSE THIS", meaning all you women get out and vote for me to help me defeat this Black man I am losing to. Don't you know I am supposed to be the first minority President.

On Meet the Press this morning she lied about her vote.

Then she says the Obama camp has blown their racist remarks out of proportion. I am not in the Obama camp, but as I was watching her speak, she said what she said about MLK, I immediatly called all my friends out here in LA and said did you just hear what Hill said.
    I knew exactly what Bill meant with his Fairy Tale remark, they thought no one would get upset about it after all he considers himself the first Black President. I am so disappointed with the Clintons. I defended Bill all through the lie,"I DID NOT HAVE SEC WITH THAT WOMAN." Up until N,H. Hill was my choice. Then the Clintons used the gender game and race game to get their win. NOT Obama. The Clinton's are starting to lie again and its not Pretty.
    but who in the world wants this

BUSH
    CLINTON
    BUSH
    CLINTON

January 13, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  7. Tom Davie

I still find it utterly AMAZING that the Obama people take EVERYTHING Hillary and Bill say and twist it into a negative.

Hillary : I am PROUD of Obama .

Obama radicals : She is LYING . WHAT A CREEP BLAH BLAH BLAH

Hillary : I am NOT PROUD of Obama

Obama radicals : She is a RACIST. WHAT A CLOWN. NEO CON ETC ........

For a bunch of people claiming to be 'uniters' under Obama, you are showing america in your posts that you are RIDDLED WITH HATRED. So much for 'uniting'

You are embarrasing your Candidate.

January 13, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  8. Gobama

My gaaaad! The Clintons are disingenuous! LOL

And she continues to MISREPRESENT Obama's position.

BARACK OBAMA IS RUNNING AS AN AMERICAN!

Not a African American, though is dad is African!

If Hilary wants to run as a female to curry favor with females, that's her business.
    However, the nation DOES NOT now need the division and polarization, if we are to solve clear and pressing national problems.

Not a European American, those his mom is European.

January 13, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  9. Scott, Royal Oak, MI

She is so full of $*#@ it's coming out her ears.

Honestly, I HOPE people can please start to realize what a FRAUD Hillary Clinton is!!

January 13, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  10. Robin

I am so frustrated with Hillary's behavior and not being called on it.

January 13, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  11. Robin

HIllary sounds so demeaning...she really is trying to make up for her husband's and her comments that will shut down her chances of Presidentcy.

January 13, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  12. Amina

January 13, 2008 3:33 pm ET

Hillary's remarks were not distorted – they were felt by many people of all races across America. Obama didn't cause people to believe things that Hillary didn't say. Hillary's backpedaling shouldn't have been to attack Obama and blame him for other people hearing what she didn't mean to imply. She should have accepted the fact that SHE offended people by her words. If she didn't mean to, she should have apologized to those who were offended and then to explain herself better. Instead she uses the opportunity to blame Obama for her lack of clarity.

January 13, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  13. Alex

I think people are tired of dynasties and cronyism in Washington. Clintons bombed Yugoslavia, Bushes bombed Iraq and nobody cares about middle class in particular and common sense in general. Dear God, give me a man of peace and wisdom any time. Politicians, give people of our great country a chance to earn/spend money and stop wasting OUR budget on useless overpriced projects for YOUR political donors.
    I don't believe Clintons can change the atmosphere of separation of power and people. May be Obama can. Without this change, our money will be deposited in BigCorp pockets and wasted and wasted and wasted no matter who is the next President of the United States of America.

January 13, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  14. Florence, South Carolina

Get a grip people, because of Obama's lack of experience, you are trying to turn this into a racial presidential bid, stick to the issues, and you will see that Obama is an empty suit, who can give glowing speeches with nothing to back it up, I will not be swayed by those speeches, I am much more inttelligent than that., we are not voting on a high school president, we are voting for a president to run this country and to keep up safe, Barack Obama does not have any experience, and speeches will not keep us safe. ALL THE HILLARY RODAM CLINTON!!!!!!!!!!,

January 13, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  15. Lisa

Aware – his comparison to MLK and JFK were about having dreams and hope and aspire to greatness. That was after Hillary was saying that he was giving Americans "false hopes". Obama was saying that America is about dreaming big.

January 13, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  16. Lisney

January 13, 2008 3:43 pm ET

Obama – just another politician – no high road here! How arrogant to compare himself to MLK or JFK .

January 13, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  17. lidseylina

January 13, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  18. nadeem

She is crazy, does she think American are dumb.

You don't attack someone – tell lies about them, then say you are proud of them. People are not that stupid to believe her nonsense.

Aware, Obama did not compare himself to MLK or JFK, many americans do. You will not find one quote where Obama does this.

Grow up.

January 13, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  19. Another Steve

Same old Clintons. Attack and slander to get votes, then appologies to make it look like it was a minor gauf or misquote or such or perhaps this time the excuse is it was taken out of context. Well the entire press got this wrong if that's the case. Hillary, your arrogance is showing and hopefully persons are seeing the real you at last. You Clintons are polarizing the voters and the Democrats will loose the White House bid if your the nomination.

January 13, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  20. TP

Hillary Hillary Hillary

You wonder why people are calling you a flip-flopper

January 13, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  21. Gobama

Lisa January 13, 2008 3:33 pm ET

Exactly!
    Well said. Just an apology for misstatement/misinterpretation on the Martin Luther King remark would do for Hilary; but somehow she is self-obsessed and obsessed with being right.

No doubt people misinterpreted (or correctly understood) the Martin Luther King statement on account of the fact that the Clintons were on the PERSONAL ATTACK path after their loss in Iowa for their THIRD TERM PRESIDENCY!

January 13, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  22. stan pitts pa

what a FAT LIE!

January 13, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  23. Lisa

Hillary keeps talking about her vast experience – but please can anyone give me a list of her accomplishments? She is on her 2nd term as a Senator, but Obama actually had 8 years at the State Legislature before his term as a Senator.

January 13, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  24. concerned citizen, Mesa, Arizona

Go Hillary!

January 13, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  25. Christine

The whole point of politics is to beat your enemy, it's not about being nice and gentle. Hillary Clinton is only playing along with the game. What doesn't make sense to me is that it is okay for Obama or Edwards to criticize her, but if she makes a remark, she's being seen as bossy or ignorant. I think it's time this country gets over sexism. Just because Hillary is politically out manuavering Obama, doesn't necessarily mean she dislikes him. People can show respect for their rivals.
    Also Bill Clinton's remark stated that the fairy tale was Obama stating that he never supported the war, but in fact Obama had stated in 2004 that he didn't know how he would have voted. Obama never voted for or against the war. People seem to give him credit for something he didn't do. Either way, I believe Hillary as President and Obama as VP would be unstoppable. People really need to read articles, before they make accusations.

January 13, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |