January 13th, 2008

Clinton: 'I am so proud of Obama'

Clinton mingles with church-goers after services at the Northminster Presbyterian Church.

COLUMBIA, South Carolina (CNN) – Hours after Democrat Hillary Clinton was sharply critical of rival Barack Obama in an interview on NBC's Meet The Press, the New York senator struck a different tone on his candidacy in a predominantly African-American church in South Carolina.

"Probably many of us thought we would never see the day when an African-American and a woman were competing for the presidency of the United States," Clinton said at the Northminster Presbyterian Church in Columbia. "I am so proud of my party I am so proud of my country and I am so proud of Sen. Barack Obama, because together we have presented our cases to the people."

"I am standing here, Senator Obama stands before you as a result of the generations of men and women who protested and picketed, faced dogs and tear gas," she continued. "Who were beaten and jailed who had night sticks crush their skulls. Some who lost their very lives. They risked their lives because they looked into the eyes of their children and saw the promise of a better future. We stand here today because of their sacrifice."

Clinton's comments followed her hour-long appearance on Meet The Press, in which she accused Obama's campaign of distorting remarks that she and her husband have made in recent days which touched off concerns among some African-American voters. Obama later rejected Clinton's complaints as "ludicrous."

Both Democrats are in a heated fight for the support of black voters, particularly in the South Carolina Democratic primary on January 26.

– CNN's Sasha Johnson and Alexander Mooney

1. Anonymous

none of this matters...focus on the issues

January 13, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  2. interferon

I am so proud of Hillary!........stick the shiv into her opponent in the AM (MTP)
    and anoint the body in the PM. Oh well, so much manure to shovel in SC
    and so little time......but she nooooo ways tarrrrrred. Gotta love it!

January 13, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  3. bajanluv,newport News, VA

WOW!!! So glad she is proud of him. Blacks do need to wake up. BET needs to be chased off the air. Black people need to wake up and think–What the hell was that about? This morning on national TV he was a liar and a pimp. Then he is a drug user, now she is proud. Which Hillary is this?

January 13, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  4. cathy

And to say Obama doesn't have experience!

He has been working, on the ground, WITH the People on the South Side of Chicago as a Community Activist/Organizer and Civil Rights Attorney, working on Death Penalty Law, among other things, in his State. He gave up Wall Street opportunities to help the People. And, yes, there was 8 years in the State Senate and an additional 2 years nationally. And Editor of the Harvard Law Review? Wow. Imagine, a President who is a Constitutional Scholar! THAT would be DIFFERENT!

In Hillarys case, it's like Bill Clinton said....experience can be a good thing, or a bad thing, depending on the kind of experience one has....the clip on MTP aired from '92 of Bill Clinton saying how EXPERIENCE wasn't everything, after HE came under fire for not having enough....it seems the Clintons SAY whatever may benefit THEM at any particular time...it's not good.

January 13, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  5. Tom Davie

Hillary is proud of the fact an African american man has a REAL SHOT at becoming president. Just as many are PROUD of the fact an American woman also has a REAL SHOT at becoming president.

I find it FANTASTIC for america. We have come a LONG way.

The Hillary supporters support Obama and are proud of his achievements. We ARE NOT proud of the recent 'race card' antics.

Nobody would be. Especially with the Clintons impeccable record with african americans in the past. Its just insulting.

These are two differnt things. Obama is getting BAD ADVISE using these horrible politics that will turn off voters against him.

January 13, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  6. R

I think people who say Obama has nothing to offer haven't looked at his record, the man has gotten alot done and has worked with both sides of the aisle just as much as hillary, in fact, he gets on better with republicans then she'll ever dream of. she has done nothing but cause a huge divide, and is now working to do the same to her own party and black america. Obama isn't an empty suit, He's a clean slate! he won't have the baggage that hillary has. the man speaks well because he's freaking smart. then you try to right him off as some other well spoken black man? give me a break! Hillary will say whatever suits her at the moment..

January 13, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  7. California

Please people! Saint Obama does know all the tricks to get nominated. Wake up! he is no better than Hillary and with Hillary at least we know were she stands.
    Like we say in spanish "mas vale malo conocido que bueno por conocer"
    "Better known evil than unknown saint"

January 13, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  8. Jermaine

Cinlton supports are just like here, disengenious. Clinton must really think AA, blacks and all American's to be fools. She lambasted OBAMA on MSNCB MTP and then go into a church and say saomething else. Very unethical and just like her husband lacks morals and integrity. Clinton- is so much of the status quo, running to every black church to pander. At least you can give G.W credit he never did that, and as an Afrcan American, (BLACK), I can say that G.W. did more for Blacks than Bill Clinton did or will ever do. Bill Clinton and his wife are feel good people, and for sure this nation and the world cannot stand another 4-8 years of Clintons.
    The fastes way for the Dems to loose the CONGRESS is to elect Clinton as the nominee. OBAMA is like REAGAN, EISENHOWER, and JFK in that he will carry the General election in a landslide. Mc Cain will not be the Republican nominee it will be the huy from Hope Arkansas or the guy from NY. None of them can beat an OBAMA-NAPOLITANO Ticket. Obama will win without Hillary, Hillary cannot win without OBAMA, and to select HRC as his running mate is to go against his principles and it will show he lacks integrity. Hillary will not be the nominee because many independents, and Democrats including myself will cross over. We don't need 4-8 more years of divisiveness in Wshington and America. It is time to take the high grown, OBAMA is leading the way.

"FOLLOW HIM-OBAMA '08, YES WE CAN, AND WE WILL!

January 13, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  9. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Call Hillary "the cleanup woman". She can cleanup one lie after another and then try to play nice. Obama has tried giving Hillary the respect as a candidate which she has proven undeserving. After she sent her "attack dog (Bill)" after Obama and now she's giving a civil rights history lesson to a class she didn't attend, it's time to teach Hillary a lesson. VOTE NO TO HILLARY.

January 13, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  10. f

HILLARY!!!! YEAH!!

January 13, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  11. Russell, NC

Hillary is two-faced.

January 13, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  12. Alfred Lehman

What a tough decision between Obama and Hillary. I like them both however If Obama wins the primary I will vote for him . I really want Hillary to win because in my mind she is the best person for the job..

Al

January 13, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  13. Terry

Just remember which party voted AGAINST The civil rights ammendment, THE DEMOCRATS!!! They were the ones with the dogs and tear gas that Hillery was talking about. VOTE REPUBLICAN!!

January 13, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  14. agnes

What a flip Flopper. Who doesn't see through this lady?

January 13, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  15. Bryn

Disingenuous is putting it mildly. I cannot believe the nerve of Sen. Clinton. I know she never thought Barack Obama would give her a run for her money during the primaries, but there comes a time when you re-group and move on. She wants to blame Obama for her mistakes. Why couldn't she and Bill stop the media circus and apologize for their mistakes. Obama didn't force him or her to make those comments. Truthfully, I believe the abundance of their heart came right out of their mouths (a biblical principle). We don't need her insincerity in stating that she is proud of Obama. He is as qualified as she is; yet, Obama brings so much more to the table in the areas of integrity, character and compassion. I am tired of these political games ran by the Clintons. We need real change and that can only come through Obama. Obama '08!

January 13, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  16. Adam

SHHHHH

The sound you hear is the tearing of the Democratic party.

To the eventual nominee: Good luck mending fences in November.

January 13, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  17. B, Atlanta

I think she is sincere in this comment. She is only trying to get attention of voters to have real discussion on issues and where each candidate stands. I saw the interview with Tim Russet. She was like, let the American people decide who the better candidate is. I think that is fair statement. Some people are scared of women leading the country and so comes all this sexist remarks about her and likeability's factor and etc. I think she will do a good job about economy, Health care and uniting the country too. Obama may do a good Job too, but he has to come up with substance on how he is going to archive changes that he is talking about. If he is so clean politician that is talking about, He has to come clean on Rezko issue too.
    He won state senate in Chicago by overwhelming candidates with lawsuits, now when teacher's union which has not yet endorsed anyone files a lawsuit in NV about special treatment to culinary workers, he cries and blames it on Clinton supporter. He has to come out clean on multiple issues before I can support his candidature.

January 13, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  18. JD, WI

Obama just released an economy plan, which is a total copycat of the Clinton plan released last week. This is shockingly embarrassing that has never seen in political history. Even his economic advisor admits it’s similar to Clinton plan. Is this how Obama bring about change? By changing numbers of an opponent’s plan?
    If you can’t even come up with an original idea how can you be a change agent?
    Of course, Clinton camp has been asked for meat all this time.
    But it is unthinkable that Obama will produce meat stolen right from the Clinton’s refrigerator. This is real armature stuff.

January 13, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  19. Tina ny, ny

Ellie- I noticed that too. I thought that was so mean. He should have kept is mouth shut on that one. I felt like Hillary is struggling to fit into the crowd of boys however they were really making it difficult for her. Not to mention both Obama & Edward were teaming up in attacking her. Now how does it look on these two gentlemen who have to team up to put Hillary down. They must be really insecure about themselves that they have to stoop so low.

BTW- when is Obama going to learn how to talk to a lady. She always refers to her as Senator Obama where as he just calls her Hillary. He is so rude.
    _____________________________________________________
    No, Devyani, When Hillary smiled and said, "I think Senator Obama is very likeable," Obama, never lifting his head from some notes he was taking, dismissively said, "You're likeable enough, Hillary". It was a condescending and arrogant response, not overlooked by the audience and tv viewers of that particular debate.

January 13, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  20. Annie 51 years in Michigan

dd January 13, 2008 3:34 pm ET wrote:

"....Sen. Obama candidacy is inspiring to people of all races. policy wise, both obama and clinton are similar. the main difference is that with obama president every american can dream of being president one day...."

Except for the girls and woman....

January 13, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  21. Courtney S.

What a shame if she is the nominee... 4 more years the Rebublicans will chant!!!

SHE isn't liked because of her actions.
    nd I hate to say this but I will NOT vote for her... My liberal heart has dignity.

Own it, say you're sorry. If Obama hadn't mentioned in his book he used drugs... who would have know. Honest, and willing to put himself out there because truth matters...

If I recall.. Mr. Clinton "Didn't Inhale" would we perfer someone to LIE a lie we know is crap rather than tell the truth. I guess it depends on what the meaning of is is.

The Clintons are so FULL of it. Hillary don't try to bash Obama at each turn and 15 mins later say "you're proud of him"... If you can't stand him say it and OWN it.

My liberal heart will write in Ron Paul, before I cast a vote for her in the national election. Yeah I am someone who wants real change who will vote for someone I believe in NOT a party pick.

OBAMA '08!

January 13, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  22. Hispanic Point of view

I never thought I would see the date when democrats were fighting other democrats. I have always beleived that the other sides primary weapons it the ability to divide...

"Yes we can - si se puede... is a slogan used by Cesar Chavez during the 70's. As a Latina, it offends me that Obama uses this slogan to get the Latino/hispanic vote... But you don't see Latinos out there criticizing him for it. Yes, he is an eloquent speaker, but I think I need a little more than that to get my vote.

Regardless if its Obama or Hillary, we will be making history, the questions is who has the ability to make it all the way????

Please people vote on experience, history and on who will be the best candidate to take the presidential election...

January 13, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  23. Docta

Hillary Clinton is a cold calculator and a flip floper. She will say and do whatever is convenient for the moment.

She claimed that the Civil Rights started with politicians in Washington DC, and then said the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King is "one of the person I admired the most". She said that Obama is a dreamer, and then said "I am very proud of Barak Obama". She cries in front of a camera, and then said that she is the best candidate to be Commender in Chief in "Day one".

She told women in New Hamshire: I am a woman. Vote for me.

Now she is telling African Americans in South Carolina that she is "blacker" than Barak.

Talking about false hopes, the Clintons have given false hope to the African-America community: bandage and illusion.

January 13, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  24. On And On

Hillary isn't backpeddling. She didn't take back her remarks. There was nothing to take back! It DID take legal power from LBJ to help fulfill Dr. King's dream. She told the truth. But she KNEW that many Black Obama supporters and the media were going to take her remarks and spend & twist them into something negative - just as they're doing now.

And I wonder why Obama is being strangely quiet about this. What's his stance on what Hillary said??

January 13, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  25. Bimal Ghose

I will not tell anything about Senator Clinton but Obama has brought a "dream" in the eyes of young Americans about an United America for a "change" not dividing the country. The results of IOWA and New Hampshire have proved how the young students and Independents voted for his candidature. He is the best hope for the future and it is only Obama who can defeat any Republican candidate as he is a uniter and not a divider.

January 13, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |