January 13th, 2008
1 year ago

Clinton: 'I am so proud of Obama'

Clinton mingles with church-goers after services at the Northminster Presbyterian Church.

COLUMBIA, South Carolina (CNN) – Hours after Democrat Hillary Clinton was sharply critical of rival Barack Obama in an interview on NBC's Meet The Press, the New York senator struck a different tone on his candidacy in a predominantly African-American church in South Carolina.

"Probably many of us thought we would never see the day when an African-American and a woman were competing for the presidency of the United States," Clinton said at the Northminster Presbyterian Church in Columbia. "I am so proud of my party I am so proud of my country and I am so proud of Sen. Barack Obama, because together we have presented our cases to the people."

"I am standing here, Senator Obama stands before you as a result of the generations of men and women who protested and picketed, faced dogs and tear gas," she continued. "Who were beaten and jailed who had night sticks crush their skulls. Some who lost their very lives. They risked their lives because they looked into the eyes of their children and saw the promise of a better future. We stand here today because of their sacrifice."

Clinton's comments followed her hour-long appearance on Meet The Press, in which she accused Obama's campaign of distorting remarks that she and her husband have made in recent days which touched off concerns among some African-American voters. Obama later rejected Clinton's complaints as "ludicrous."

Both Democrats are in a heated fight for the support of black voters, particularly in the South Carolina Democratic primary on January 26.

– CNN's Sasha Johnson and Alexander Mooney

1. susan

Obama is the best!! I know so many people – independents and Republicans – who would vote for him in the NY primary if only they could. And none of them – me included – will ever vote for Hillary. If the Democratic party is stupid enough to nominate Hillary, they deserve to go down.

January 13, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  2. Frank, Homer, AK

If she's so proud of Obama, why doesn't she stop deliberately lying about his policies and his record? I would think that "not slandering" would be a great way to show pride.

January 13, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  3. AJ - Montpelier

It would be nice to have a worthy African-American candidate running though. Obama is an empty suit that has nothing but arrogance to back it up. He's the Democratic version of George W. Bush

January 13, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  4. Mary

She's sooooooo disgusting

January 13, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  5. Youth Voter, USA

Obama tells me change is new, I agree (not knowing every election Presidential politicians talk about change and nothing changes).

Obama tells me to hope so i start hoping.

Obama tells me to change, so I change my parents since they are past and status quo.

My friends (fellow Obama supporters) tell me to repeat Hillary hate posts 100 times a day, so I do it. It's a change from my other work.

Obama tells me to convince my other immature youth friends to cheer for change, I do it.

Obama tells me to ignore experience, so I ignore my parents experience of knowing the world as again, they are past and status quo.

I ignore every old person who was served nationally as they are status quo. Your national service doesnt count in the new world of hatred filled starry eyed fairy tale following youths like me.

January 13, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  6. GJ

Im tired of hearing about hearing about Hillary's 30+ years of experience... she's never been in elected office before she got elected to senate from NY....

She's never would have gotten it if it wasnt for the sympthay of dealings of Bill.

Now she get NH due to some tears that CNN woudl stop showing the lst two days....

I sure hope they give the same coverage to her comment about MLK and Bill calling Obama a kid.

January 13, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  7. Fred

Absolutely patronizing comment. I agree with the earlier poster who made the"double-team" comment. If Hillary Rodham-Clinton wins over 33% of the African-American vote in South Carolina then I really misjudged black America and the Clintons appeal.

January 13, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  8. ddt

Why can't you all learn from the NH primaries? Clinton is our next president like it or not. I can't imagine a man "Obama" who claims that he opposed the war and voted against time lines to bring the troops back home! Obama is a phony using his race for favors.

January 13, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  9. Youth Voter, USA

Hillary praised Obama in MTP too. She said she is proud to be running this extraordinary electioin because it involves Barack Obama who can be the first black president of America.

Why not share that? And dumbass supporters jump on a twisted article to bring out their hatred for Hillary. Can't you dumbass people read or listen to MTP properly?

She raised policy issues and principles to differentiate the campaigns. She even said she is proud of Obama being part of this election.

Is this America? Full of dumbass close minded supporters.

Wake up and vote based on issues and capability. Otherwise we are ruined.

January 13, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  10. Ada

Nancy Pelosi would be the first female president. Not you, Madam America. If Hillary and Bill are what the Democrats represent, I will never be a democrat. I have never voted before, and I am disappointed right now with how this woman is destroying the party I was thinking of joining sometime. I don't like corrupt politicians. This woman does nothing but manipulate the minds of older people. She rig the last election, and she is very dishonest.

January 13, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  11. EMELIA Tagoe-Ofori

FYI the clintons are are making too much noise, has anybody asked why hillary want to go the white house? to guess i think to over turn the impeachment on her husband bill, therefore america wake up and think and vote right, i think we need a change not the clintons.

January 13, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  12. AJ, IL

Hillary and Bill have done alot this campaign damage to themselves. Hillary was doing well when she took to the high road at the being of this presidential nomination process. She followed the polls and liked what she saw. Then as the American people got to see into Hillary a little more the doubts crept in. Her significant loss in Iowa demonstrated to America that Hillary is not the inevitable Democratic candidate. Hillary could have simply said 'I'm sorry for my or Bill's comments that offended anyone' elaborated a little, and then moved on. But she couldn't even do that.

I know that political candidates tailor their message to their audience, but what Hillary did on MEET THE PRESS this morning and then at this black church is just amazingly in bad taste. She was constantly on the attack of Obama even when Tim Russert asks her questions about what she learned from past mistakes or judgements. Most of her responses did not give me any newer insight into why she thinks she should be President. She was always constantly mentioning Obama in a negative way. I hope South Carolinians pay attention to the negative tone Hillary Clinton has set in the Democratic party presidential selection process and see how defensive and divisive she is.

January 13, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  13. Duop Chak, Colorado

When politics gets really dirty, players confused.

January 13, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  14. mauricesoulchild

Hillary Clinton is minimizing Obama's effectiveness as an African-American candidate- while suggesting that his accomplishments deserves kudos for our country to reach that fete. Then she tells the African-American voters in South Carolina (who were already concerned that the nation isn't ready to elect a Black Candidate) to "get back to reality," and raise fears that the nation may like Obama's message and suggest he isn't electable- which makes Blacks and alot of American's second guessing if they really want Obama to be President or not.

Should Clinton get the nomination, she wouldn't get more votes for President than Obama would if he were the nominee. Clinton is not inevitable by any stretch of the imagination, because of her divisiveness and propaganda- She is definitely not likable by any party, especially independents.

I wouldn't be surprised if even the youth vote wouldn't turn out to support a candidate like Clinton that is too divisive, political, and has no moral ethos whatsoever.

January 13, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  15. Anonymous

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...she is failing...

January 13, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  16. saraj

Every time Hillary opens her mouth she is criticized putting her in a position to defend herself. If Obama were a white man would the afroamericans who are criticizing Hillary do so. Isn't this race base politics.

January 13, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  17. gregf

Patronizing. If you vote for Hillary, she can be proud of you too.

January 13, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  18. Youth Voter, USA

Those Obama supporters who call Hillary two faced or disingenous, are the real hypocrites. When you do something, its saintly but others do it, then whine and cry foul.

When Obama attacks, its only showing differences but Hillary raises the difference, she is attacking.

When Obama claims no lobbyist but employs current lobbyists in his campaign, the hypocrites turn a blind eye and give a political answer (typical washington politics).

When Obama flip flops on Iraq and doesnt show the conviction of sticking to a position like a leader should, then again the hypocrites turn a blind eye and say how can we go against our nominee (and quietly remove it from his own website)? Again, hypocrites following same old Washington politics.

When will blind Obama supporters realize that their hypocrisy will be shredded by Republicans during general election if we dont pay attention now? Hypocrites who turn blind eye on inexperience and flip-flops are crushed in the end.

God help the fairy tale following hypocrites!

January 13, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  19. vee

Remember what she said about "the fun part"? All that is happening and will continue to happen from her, her husband and her campaign all depict the fun part. She perfectly knows what she and her folks are doing... but it will boomerang as it is happening now.

January 13, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  20. JohnS

Oh America, even if we have short-term memories for the great old days of scandal during the Clinton eras, we certainly CANNOT deny what is happening RIGHT now, right infront of us: the Clintons have already INJECTED several controveries into this process, just for their own end- the presidency.

"If Clinton is NOT going to get the presidency, then NO democratic candidate will" seems to be the hidden agenda; thus, they are bent on destroying Obama and dividing the democrats!!

Why can't we simply wake up, slap ourselves to see Reality, and walk away from this dynasty: bush-clinton-bush-clinton. Certainly, this nation can do better than this. I like the Clintons very much, no single bone of hate, but I love my country more!!! It will take someone like Obama to bring MOST, not all of us together to "solve real" problems. Leadership is about BRINGING people together, not past experience, age or wisdom!!! My vote as well as yours, I hope will faithfully go in support of Obama for the soul of this nation. God Bless.

January 13, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  21. James Brown ( Independent )

The Clinton's are getting desperate and you can look for them to be digging down deep into there dirty bag of tricks. But you know , the American people are smart enough to see through Bill & Hill , and they are doing a pretty good job of shooting there selves in the foot.

Obama 08

January 13, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  22. EMELIA Tagoe-Ofori

BUSH,-CLINTON-BUSH-CLINTON THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH THAT..................

January 13, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  23. ginevera

There was a time when I really liked Bill Clinton and now I can say I have no like for him at all. I have lost respect for the way he has lowered himself in this campaign. Hillary faked an emotional crying fit and in all honesty, only raised the question, when times get rough if elected President will she be so weak as to cry, and the same can be said concerning all political entanglements. I feel she proved that women get overly emotional and weak in times of conflict.

January 13, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  24. budrow , nashville, tn

Please google REV. JEREMIAH WRIGHT AND LOUIS FARRAHKAN. READ ABOUT THE MAN WHO WANTS TO BE PRESIDENT AND WHO HIS SPRIRITUAL ADVISOR IS AND WHO HONORS. NO OTHER THAN THE HONORABLE LOUIS FARRAHKAN. WITH THEIR CHURCHES HIGHEST HONOR, THE TRUMPETEER AWARD.

January 13, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  25. Scott, Madison, WI

Hillary! Thank you for the backhanded compliment! Sorry your timing was so poor!
    You see my dear, this soundbite should have been front-loaded. Oops again!

January 13, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |