January 13th, 2008
1 year ago

Clinton: 'I am so proud of Obama'

Clinton mingles with church-goers after services at the Northminster Presbyterian Church.

COLUMBIA, South Carolina (CNN) – Hours after Democrat Hillary Clinton was sharply critical of rival Barack Obama in an interview on NBC's Meet The Press, the New York senator struck a different tone on his candidacy in a predominantly African-American church in South Carolina.

"Probably many of us thought we would never see the day when an African-American and a woman were competing for the presidency of the United States," Clinton said at the Northminster Presbyterian Church in Columbia. "I am so proud of my party I am so proud of my country and I am so proud of Sen. Barack Obama, because together we have presented our cases to the people."

"I am standing here, Senator Obama stands before you as a result of the generations of men and women who protested and picketed, faced dogs and tear gas," she continued. "Who were beaten and jailed who had night sticks crush their skulls. Some who lost their very lives. They risked their lives because they looked into the eyes of their children and saw the promise of a better future. We stand here today because of their sacrifice."

Clinton's comments followed her hour-long appearance on Meet The Press, in which she accused Obama's campaign of distorting remarks that she and her husband have made in recent days which touched off concerns among some African-American voters. Obama later rejected Clinton's complaints as "ludicrous."

Both Democrats are in a heated fight for the support of black voters, particularly in the South Carolina Democratic primary on January 26.

– CNN's Sasha Johnson and Alexander Mooney

1. proudamericancitizen, Florida

If this isn't a CLEAR example of two-faced, politics of pandering then I don't know what is.....

January 13, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  2. Fed Up Woman

Hilary – you make me want to vomit hearing all this. Can you just campaign and stop all the nonsense talking. Even those influenced by the media can see you are threatened by Obama. STOP! Before you render yourself a laughing stalk.

January 13, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  3. SMH

Does anybody ever listen to the whole story before they go off on a tangant? First of all the investigative reporters should start doing their job and get to the root of who is trying to make this very important presidential campaign about race, gender etc.... It is clear that neither Senator Clinton nor the former President made racial comments or slurs toward Senator Obama. Whoever is pushing this story needs to be discovered. It all started when New Hampshire did not turn out the way the media wanted it to and before you knew it was about race. Leading up to Iowa & NH it was gender. Both these candidates (Clinton & Obama) need the chance to prove themselves worthy of our vote. Race, Gender, Religion nor Age should be a deciding factor one way or the other. Clinton made that point this morning on Meet the Press. People only need to review the full comments and decide for themselves what was said not somebody taking a 10 second snipet and calling it the "gospel" The voters deserve the facts not someones interpretation of the facts....I repeat let the voters decide. All the candidates deserve that!!

January 13, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  4. Youth Voter, USA

What it means to be a youth in USA!

Years of national public service = washington politics.

2 years of national public service = not washington politics

Obama tells me change is new, I agree (not knowing every election Presidential politicians talk about change and nothing changes).

Obama tells me to hope so i start hoping.

Obama tells me to change, so I change my parents since they are past and status quo.

My friends (fellow Obama supporters) tell me to repeat Hillary hate posts 100 times a day, so I do it. It's a change from my other work.

Obama tells me to convince my other immature youth friends to cheer for change, I do it.

Obama tells me to ignore experience, so I ignore my parents experience of knowing the world as again, they are past and status quo.

I ignore every old person who was served nationally as they are status quo. Your national service doesnt count in the new world of hatred filled starry eyed fairy tale following youths like me.

January 13, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  5. Mary San Diego

this woman has no conscience whatsoever. This pattern just goes on to show she and her husband will do anything they need to get the American people to vote for them. What Hillary is doing has distracted people from some of the good things she's done. She's good and she's smart, but she's not honest. And how can we trust such a dishonest person with power? I don't think she deserves to be the president of America.

January 13, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  6. DeVone

The Clintons are angry

January 13, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  7. Edward Franco

Here we go again with the poor Black man and the evil white devils.... Get over it.
    The smart know your little games... My suggestions fellow ignorant co-nationals who make unknowingly and none factual statements keep silent. This makes you an uneducated ignorant fool.

January 13, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  8. Ann Kuminns

Oh Hillary, we're so proud too! Stop the B...S...now and stop being a hypocrite!! You have already begun to destroy the party. this is survival time for our party and there is no way it can do so with her as the nominee. She will cost the party the White House this time and we have no one to blame but all the party elders (excluding Bill, who's on HRC side anyways), who do not have the guts to come out RIGHT NOW and help steer the party in the right direction. This is not a call to vote for Obama, but for anyone else who CAN WIN.

January 13, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  9. SecondSage

Good move Hilary. but I think it's a little late.

January 13, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  10. Sue in Michigan

"Many Democrats will turn to McCain.." are you kidding me? He's a Bush clone...wants to keep the soldiers in Iraq forever, no health care, no education funding....it is time for a huge change from the so-called fiscal conservatives who have managed to spend us into a pit and who think nothing of attacking another country when one of their no-bid contractors needs some cash. Enough from the Republicans!
    I have a new mantra..."ANYONE BUT A REPUBLICAN!"

January 13, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  11. KJ

Let me get this straight, if Hillary disagrees with what his campaign is saying but proud of his accomplishments, she is pandering. WOW!! No wonder we have the administration we have in office right now – the disjointed mindset being shown by posters on this subject.

January 13, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  12. A. Voter

Except perhaps for a family memebr or close friend, how can anybody be proud of somebody else's accomplishments? But if that's possible, then I'm proud of Hillary for finding yet another way to sound ridiculous.

January 13, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  13. DAVMON

The Clintons are very manipulating, watch again she is going to use diffrent to manipulate voters again.

January 13, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  14. xcave

Hey Hilary, if you're proud of him, why aren't you crying?

January 13, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  15. Aaron M.

She is disgusting. I have never seen anyone talk out of both sides of their mouth as much as she does. It is amazing to me that anyone would vote for her.

Anyone but Clinton!

January 13, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  16. xtina chicago IL

Still we should look at the voting records in Senate and what solid accomplishments these people have, not just their gender or race. McCain has been good at voting down most tax increases. That should make people happy who continually complain about Congress having too much money to waste. Guiliani has reduced crime by over 50 percent in NYC, and Mitt Romney took an almost bankrupt organization and made it profitable, which should make people happy who think the economy is turning down. What have Obama and Hillary done that compares with these achievements by their running mates?

January 13, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  17. Don

Is it just me, or does Clinton supporters seem a little more educated on the issues. On many blogs you see Hillary supporters supporting their canidate. You don't see nasty, negative attacks on others. However, people who post about Hillary from other campaigns, especially Obama, are very hateful and negative. This may not always be the case, but it seems there is more Obama hate squads out there attacking their competition. Now, my question is are they really Obama supporters, or is there some underhanded work going on. I find it hard to believe that some of these attacks are so nasty, especially from so-called democrats. If this team wants real change, is this the way to get it. I have heard so much about MLK the last few days. Would he be proud of how many people are treating Hillary Clinton, or reverse that if you like. I think not and think we all need to research the facts, don't believe every single thing thats reported. Its usually wrong, taken out of context and spun to death by pundits. I read a post earlier, that stated HRC had no plan for immigration. Oh really. Guess you should read he plans or here her speak before you make such a claim. Others claim that Clinton has diminished MLK in the civil rights movement. Oh Really. Not when I heard her speak, or when I read what she actually said, not just the few sentences that people want to scream about. She was making a larger point and I think MLK would have agreed that it took many people to make this change. He never claimed to be the one and only and my belief is he would be angry at this conversation today.
    Come on Americans. Can we please wake up and stop this nonsense before it gets out of hand. The only change I am seeing for my future is hatred and mistrust and I have to wonder where it is really coming from. Could this be divide and conquer. Don't cry about after it happens.

January 13, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  18. Daniel Koh

Obama needs to be patient, gain experience and more exposure. Hillary is the best Democrat candidate this far. I am certain the GOP prefers to avoid Hillary.

January 13, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  19. Annie

Hillary started the race part of this debate when she deminished the importance of Martin Luther King, Jr. in the New Hampshire debate. I am a 57 year old white female that actually watched the debate and it made me sick. Then in the same debate she played the "female" card. I am of the same generation that Hillary is, and I truly would love to see a female President, but I will vote for the one that will be good for the Country, and that one is not running at this time.

I voted for Bill Clinton twice, and I can not for the life of me understand why anyone my age would vote for Hillary. The Clinton's are a disgrace to this party. Yes it is true that Bill was called "the first Black President", but what exactly did he do for their race? I know that he signed into law NAFTA which sent so many manufacturing jobs south of the border. The Black community supported Bill Clinton in the elections, so that is why he was called the "first Black President" It was what they did for him! For them to be outraged now for what they are trying to do to this first black man that truly has a chance to become President is understandable.

The reason we did not get Universal Health Care during the Clinton administration was because of Hillary and her actions toward many people at that time. I can not see how she has changed any of her tactics to get what she wants.

This country needs a uniter, not a divider in the White House.

January 13, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  20. Jake, California

re: jackie

what is your point? Post your source.

It is sad that Hillary cannot be consistent or come up with any thing that wont cause frenzy. She's against this at one time and the next time she's for it..

I wonder how those folks in that church were able to listen to her.
    Straightly two face, no doubt!

January 13, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  21. Krishna

why the sudden change of heart mrs. clinton?

January 13, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  22. teddy orlando fl

hillary please just go away

January 13, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  23. Gidi

we are proud of him too and will be a fine president. Thank you hillary for recognizing that!

January 13, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  24. Lyn Ng

Youth voter USA drives home a very strong point. One must ponder objectively and very carefully. I concur with Daniel Koh. Hillary is the best Democrat candidate and John McCain the best Republican choice. The US presidency is too important and too influential to experiment.

January 13, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  25. s.positive

Talk about INTEGRITY folks, I least we know who got it...

January 13, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |