January 13th, 2008
1 year ago

Clinton: 'I am so proud of Obama'

Clinton mingles with church-goers after services at the Northminster Presbyterian Church.

COLUMBIA, South Carolina (CNN) – Hours after Democrat Hillary Clinton was sharply critical of rival Barack Obama in an interview on NBC's Meet The Press, the New York senator struck a different tone on his candidacy in a predominantly African-American church in South Carolina.

"Probably many of us thought we would never see the day when an African-American and a woman were competing for the presidency of the United States," Clinton said at the Northminster Presbyterian Church in Columbia. "I am so proud of my party I am so proud of my country and I am so proud of Sen. Barack Obama, because together we have presented our cases to the people."

"I am standing here, Senator Obama stands before you as a result of the generations of men and women who protested and picketed, faced dogs and tear gas," she continued. "Who were beaten and jailed who had night sticks crush their skulls. Some who lost their very lives. They risked their lives because they looked into the eyes of their children and saw the promise of a better future. We stand here today because of their sacrifice."

Clinton's comments followed her hour-long appearance on Meet The Press, in which she accused Obama's campaign of distorting remarks that she and her husband have made in recent days which touched off concerns among some African-American voters. Obama later rejected Clinton's complaints as "ludicrous."

Both Democrats are in a heated fight for the support of black voters, particularly in the South Carolina Democratic primary on January 26.

– CNN's Sasha Johnson and Alexander Mooney

1. Lisa

Don – according to the polls – it is actually the educated people who vote for Obama. Hillary's votes are from people are less educated.

January 13, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  2. D In SC

Look incase you didn't know, ALL politicians are the same in one respect. None of them are perfect. If you have hung the perfection mantel on Obama, then shame on you for setting him up to fall. Let's keep our wits about us and remember that the Presidency of the last 7 years has taken a toll on this country both here and abroad. We need someone with EXPERIENCE and determination to get the job done. Someone willing to take the hits and still fight for each and every one of us. These people both have their strenghts and weaknesses. For me it comes down to this. I want someone with Experience. Experience is not a bad thing. Tell me, if you owned a multi million dollar company and wanted to hire a CEO would you look for someone with experience? You bet you would. We all have opinions and ideas, but when it comes to the White House, I want to know that the person in charge of the country (no matter, their race, gender, marital status, religious belief, etc) has knowledge and ability. Since when did skill become a bad thing. Hillary is proud of Obama...you all slam her for that. Some person around her implies that he used drugs, you slam her for that. Well get a grip. If he says he is proud of her will you slam him? If he attacks her will you slam him? He is a POLITICIAN. He is a registered Democrat. Change or not he, like Hillary and all the others, are Politicians. Let's not loose sight of that.

January 13, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  3. Julie

This blog is full of so many hateful people that it scares me. I am not going to vote at all.

January 13, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  4. PW Va

I fully understand what many Republicans have been saying for years now about Hillary. I can't begin to describe my utter disdain for her.

On Meet The Press today, she accused Senator Obama of distorting her comments (among a myriad of other issues she accused him of). Then, she appears at a largely African-American church and states how proud she is of him. This woman is truly suffering from some type of mental incapacity which in my mind precludes her from running for anything above dogcatcher!!! Simply amazing!!!!

January 13, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  5. Ann Messine

Next we will hear that it's not Obama's turn but it is Hillary's... So Obama you have to wait your turn and go to the back of the bus. Wake up America to the two most ambitious phonies of all time-Bill and Hillary

January 13, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  6. Scott, Madison, WI

Don:

Clinton supporters are not more educated just more adamant and defensive about the case they present. In case you need to be informed, as the trend currently suggests, Mr. Obama has the support of college educated people over Mrs. Clinton. Her support stems mostly at this point from blue collar workers – (That is until they look at all the union busting ties in her ranks including her campaign manager, Mark Penn) – middle-aged and older women and more traditional Dem voters. Believe or not, white men are supporting Mr. Obama in surprisingly unexpected numbers at this point!

Bill and Hillary are the birth parents of the divide and conquer strategy and the beat still goes on. Right wing conspiracy theory, anyone? Partisan politics and bickering? If Hillary is such an agent of change, why hasn't all her "experience" made any difference in Washington gridlock or politics as usual? And, why the hell are we still discussing the same issues were were prior to and during Bill's term in office almost 2 decades ago?

January 13, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  7. Disappointed reader

I am an Irishwoman, reading this blog from the other side of the Atlantic. I am saddened by what I am reading here because most of the opinions posted here are indicitave of a population that has learned NOTHING over the past eight years (that is with an incompetent, even corrupt administration). For the incoming president – regardless of which side of the political fence they're on – their greatest challenge will be to restore America's global credibility and cut it loose from its now shameful reputation in the world. I don't believe the American public are truly aware of the enormity of this issue. Americans cannot afford to make another mistake in their choice of leader but it seems that many people blogging here have their eyes and ears firmly shut and are clearly brainwashed by campaign rhetoric. I love America but from what's been posted here I am not convinced that her people are capable of selecting a leader whom can do her justice. It seems that too many people are clutching on to too much baggage. Look to the future folks; let go of your past or you'll NEVER make progress. We had to do it here in Ireland – and it worked. Ditch the tit-for-tat "he said, she said" crap and just get on with the job of rebuilding your country.

January 13, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  8. Gene Pentiuk

Check the money trail supporting the Clintons = the Clintons will be "Puppets on a string " managed by those Washington lobboyists and you my dear average Americans who have no guts to think for yourselves will continue to be "puppets on a string" Take it from this WW11 Infantry Captain that the terriorists will be in our back yards when/if "Hellery " tells our Generals to bring our boys back == I wish just one of our Generals had the guts to tell it like it is == LORD. please help our grandchildren !!!

January 13, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  9. TENI

If you were that proud ofhim, you'd drop out and vote for him. I know I am....OBAMA 2008! You don't suck Hillary, you just don't compare to change. And no matter what you say, you will NEVER make me think that you can produce change. You were a first lady.....that equals ugh, NOT change!

January 13, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  10. Mauri

I'm proud of Senator Obama too. But I cannot support him for the presidency.

January 13, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  11. southern

Why does a person of color have to work harder to accomplish something? This is just another example. Obama is being attacked on both sides – one by Hillary and her campaign people, and the other by her husband – a former President. That is an uphill battle. The people who say he is inexperiened are just regurgitating the Clinton line. He is a GROWN MAN who is intelligent, well-educated, and accomplished; (not some "kid" as Bill Clinton says).

January 13, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  12. Jim in Orlando, FL

"I am so proud of Senator Obama ...... "

Why, because he takes the two-faced "What I really meant to say" attacks from you and Bill with class ? How come Hillary and Bill always need to restate what they meant when we have the entire original quote on tape ? Who believes this double-speak crap ?

January 13, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  13. gary stewart

The notion that Senator Obama has brought to the bear the "race card" is ludicruous. The fact is that Obama is an African-American; there is nothing he can do to change this fact. He does not have to talk about it...his race is before the whole world. But once you hear his message you will recognize that the man is genuine and wants to bring real change to America. He has been honest and forthright about who he is in two books, and to date has not attacked the character of Senator Clinton. He was even gracious in his comments during his speech in New Hampshire concerning his rival.

Senator Clinton this morning on "Meet The Press" did not have once good thing to say about Senator Obama. In fact, Senator Clinton up to this point had not said once good thing about Senator Obama. She waits until she is standing in an African-American church to tell US that she is proud of Senator Obama. If this is pandering I don't know what is! Senator Clinton somehow believes that African-American's are gullible...I hope we send a clear message that our vote can not be bought.

January 13, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  14. Casey

I think Clinton should stay away from praising Obama- at least until she picks him as her running mate.

January 13, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  15. Jose Card - Independent

Don,
    There are also a large number of Independents out there and I am one of them.

You are wrong if you think only Obama's supporters will criticize Hillary.

As an Independent, I can speak my conscience. I am not biased against either party. Both are terrible so I am Independent. I am doing my citizen's duty and picking the best qualified candidate as my president.

I am happy that we can share all these talks online.
    A country of different voices is a healthy one.
    A leader that has the voice to convince the nation is a true leader.
    Unfortunate for you, Obama's voice is more convincing than Hillary, who doesn't really have a voice.

I was waiting for Bill to release documents from his administration to verify Hillary's claim of 35 years of experience. But he won't release them till after 2012 – next election.

Without any solid proof, I could only judge Hillary based on her campaign and her senate records. I am sorry to say that I have moved from doubt to anger and now I am voting for anybody but Hillary. I did my homework and she doesn't have what it takes to be my president.

Good luck with choosing your president!

January 13, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  16. David

I like Obama AND I like Hillary. I am voting for Hillary because she is better qualified, If Obama wins, I will vote for him as he is better than any Repiblinan running at this time and because i do not hate qualified smart women like some who are so scared by HC. Give smart Women a break

January 13, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  17. Toussaint

No doubt the tandem Bill & Hill will win the nominee. What is the point talking about the race in this issue, I know that if unfortunately Obama has be the Nominee, the Clintons will vote Rep. True or not. I bet this will happen.

January 13, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  18. Julie

If African Americans who were once Clinton supporters (because they thought he was their "Black President") are now voting for Obama, it looks like they are voting on the basis of race. What happens if Obama becomes the Democratic Presidential nominee and then looses to a Republican? Will they return to the Clintons hoping for a renewed relationship?

January 13, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  19. John

so, the media has played you all once again. ALL the candidates bash and then praise each other for their "good campaigns" and " i have a lot of repect for __", etc, etc, etc.

but god forbid hillary does it – then it's a crime and yet another example of her dishonesty! just becasue the candidates disagree on issues or criticize each other for different things, doesn't mean that they can't praise them for other things -obama congratulated hillary on her nh win, do you think he really meant it?

did any of you ever consider that cnn purposely composed this article to point out the two things so everyone would blantly see the contradtiction and then get upset about it? cnn is obviously anti-hillary, but of course, it's incredibly politically correct and even encouraged to villify and disparage her. i bet all the writers are sitting back in their chairs and having a hardy laugh at your idiocy for falling for it. how easy it is to get you all so upset. obama likes this; with no experience, he has to appeal to your emotions. and you make it very easy for him.

i think that media is terrified of scrutinizing obama in any way becasue they're afraid of being seen as racist if they do so. look what happened to bill; i saw that speech and there was nothing remotely racist there, but they managed to make it an issue anyway. people don't care about truth. if you say something so many times, people just begin to believe it as true, especially if it makes them angry.

ANYONE who claims that the clinton's remarks were racist is an idiot. anyone who claims that the clinton "cry" caused the "loss" in nh is an idot. obama is the only candidate who is running on your emotions. and before you decry obama as being the victim, don't forget about his numerous disparaging remarks to hillary, such as when he said that her meeting with benazir bhutto was nothing more than a tea party, or when he made fun of her unlikability, or when he undermined her role and achievements as first lady (we all know hillary was behind all of bill's policies). but no cries foul or sexism when this happens. and how come the "romney cry" from a couple fo weeks ago didn't get this much media coverage?

obama – come back in four or eight years. you still have plenty of time. you have to prove yourself first before we elect you to the highest position of the most powerful nation on earth.

January 13, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  20. R Cain

Want to see the REAL Hillary....search YouTube 'shocking video hillary' and see for yourself.

Change is not just a campaign slogan.

January 13, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  21. Concerned Citizen, IN

The republicans are praying for Hillary to be nominated. You want to talk about electability? Read these comment boards and watch Fox News for a bit. If you choose Hillary, you choose one of the most polarizing figures in American politics. If McCain is the nominee, you can bet he will get 90% of the independent vote, a percentage of the democratic vote, and for darn sure 100% of the republican vote.

America does NOT want Hillary as the nominee. Anyone voting for her in primaries has been hypnoticzed by her political slickness. She has NO shot at being elected because she is so widely hated.

Obama on the other hand, represents a candidate who can win the independent vote, lock up the democratic vote, and hopefully steal some republican vote. On experience, tell me how the experience Rumsfeld and Cheney brought to office proved to benefit America. It was Rumsfeld who shrank the Army to try to make them more light and efficient. Not the democrats.

This is absurd....

I will vote for McCain if it is McCain vs. Clinton.

January 13, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  22. Dave. San Diego, CA

Can we say, elect Senator Clinton and watch the investigations open wide open AGAIN. Tens of millions of dollars wasted on Kenneth Starr. Well, you elect Senator Clinton and guess what we get Kenneth Starr all over again. The US has one black, do we really want the other one blackened, PLUS a broken jaw? That's exactly what we will get by putting the Clintons back in the Whitehouse.

It is clear that regardless which one of them goes on to be the nominee (Clinton or Obama) each ones words are going to be used against them (Clinton's attacks on Obama and vice versa) by the Republican Party. The primary elections are NOT the time to be slinging mud, the time for that is the general election when you are trying to beat the other party.

Those who say 'experience' is want is required I have a few things to say when referencing Senator Clinton. First, she does NOT have presidential experience, her husband does, and prior to becoming president he didn't have presidential experience either. The only way ANYONE gets presidential experience is with on the job training. Almost all presidents (with the exception of Bush Jr.) draw on the experience of former presidents. They also rely on their advisors, that is why they have them. This is why experience in my mind is not as necessary as some may believe it is. Clinton represents more of the same. The dot.com boom ended when Bill left office, hence we need a NEW approach to the economy.

Mrs. Clinton was given two tasks when she was first lady, she failed at both. Since when is FAILURE considered 'good experience'? Last time I checked, it isn't. Think back to Kenneth Lay. He had a lot of experience at being the CEO of Enron, but was also a failure and was set to go to prison before he died, was that really 'good experience'? No.

It is evident that the more educated the voters (within the Democratic Party – look the demographics) are voting for Obama, there is a reason for this. Senator Clinton's demographics are mostly those with little or no college education. Again, there is a reason for this. Many of them do not have the capacity to think critically about the issues.

Someone has stated that "Obama needs to be patient", well as far as I am concerned I have been patient for the the last 20 years looking for a candidate that can truly benefit ALL American citizens, and for me that candidate is Barack Obama. It is time that we turn the page from this Bush/Clinton/Bush/Clinton regime. Regime change starts at home. This country cannot afford politics as usual.

January 13, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  23. timothy

jelly fish...will do anything and will say anything to get a vote ...you are NOT getting mine ...it goes to OBAMA.

January 13, 2008 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  24. Barney

Why wouldn't this woman stop running her mouth. I am getting sick of her as each day passes.

After throwing all that dirt on Barack, now she starts "complementing" him?

She is nothing but a FAKE, power hungry person. How come many people don't see this?

She attempted to sit in on cabinet meetings when slick Willie was and her was in the Whits House. AND got everything screwed up that she wasn't invited any more sit-ins.

WHAT A PHONY WOMAN

January 13, 2008 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  25. Ronald

One is "proud" when another is of lower stature, such as a parent being proud of his children. One "admires" another of an equal or superior position, such as one admiring a hero.

The question is, then, is Hillary's expressed feeling of superiority towards Obama the unfortunate result of deep seated race hostility and conflicts?

Ronald