January 13th, 2008

McCaskill to endorse Obama

McCaskill will endorse Obama Sunday.
McCaskill will endorse Obama Sunday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Freshman Missouri Sen. Claire McCaskill will endorse Sen. Barack Obama's presidential bid Sunday morning, according to her spokeswomen Adrianne Marsh.

McCaskill, who considers herself a moderate, won a very tight race in 2006 against incumbent Sen. Jim Talent, helping Democrats take control of the Senate.

Missouri is one of more than two dozen states to hold its presidential primaries February 5.

UPDATE: On a conference call with reporters announcing her endorsement of Obama, McCaskill said the decision between Obama and Hillary Clinton was a difficult one.

"This is not an easy decision for me. I have deep respect for Hillary Clinton," she said. "She’s a smart woman and a strong leader, but at this moment in history it is very important that we look forward with optimism and hope that we’ve not been able to gin up in this country for awhile.”

– CNN Congressional Producer Ted Barrett

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. marvin,grand rapids

If you go to Hillary Clinton for president website...you will find many known officials and group leaders nationwide who endorsed clinton from the time she became officially a candidate for the race. And they never publish those endorsements.....

January 13, 2008 01:41 am at 1:41 am |
  2. Michael, TN

Hey Great Choice Sen McCaskill

Iam voting for sen obama he is the dem presidental can to come along in a really long time.

January 13, 2008 01:54 am at 1:54 am |
  3. Karen, NYC

Another STRONG endorsement!

The people who endorse Obama is of high quality character.

January 13, 2008 01:56 am at 1:56 am |
  4. ps

OBAMA will be for people. Clinton will be for Corporations. Now you choose! OBAMA 08!

January 13, 2008 02:00 am at 2:00 am |
  5. Dinero80

Go Mr. Obama, Mrs. McCaskill is obviously a wise woman....

January 13, 2008 02:08 am at 2:08 am |
  6. muyiwa ige

Go Obama. These high profile endorsements only goes to show that you are the only person that can put things right in washington

January 13, 2008 02:14 am at 2:14 am |
  7. s.positive

I guess some folks would start getting very jealous about these endorsements instead of asking the reason why such have been given...

January 13, 2008 02:15 am at 2:15 am |
  8. DB

If endorsements can bring in a couple of points it matters in this election.

January 13, 2008 02:17 am at 2:17 am |
  9. Kojo

Obama is the only candidate capable of uniting democrats and republicans of all ages.
    Good Job Claire!!

January 13, 2008 02:22 am at 2:22 am |
  10. chaos45i

I guess this means US Senator Harry Reid must be ready to endorse Barack Obama also?

When US Senator Barack Obama stole Caesar Chavez's slogan "Si Se Puede" or "Yes We Can" in a a self serving speech to Local 226 in Nevada he did not mention to the Hispanic/Latinos in America or in the crowd that he is condoning Hispanics in his own state of IL being prevented from filing race discrimination charges as we speak. The fact that Barack Obama will say and do anything to win Hispanic votes is bad enough but to use a man's words who can no longer fight for his people is disgusting. When Obama uses that powerful slogan of Caesar Chavez he is insulting those Hispanics that know for a fact why they can't file race discrimination charges in Illinois such as myself.
    If Caeser Chavez were alive today I believe he would tell Barack Obama to his face "Yes WE (Hispanics/Latinos) Can Say Race Discrimination!"

This is the basic text of a letter that I faxed Jan, 10 2008 to Senators Harry Reid and John Kerry after hearing about his endorsement.

Notice, January 10, 2008
    Regardless of the fact you US Senator Harry Reid are a longtime friend of IL US Senator Dick Durbin(as reported in the public domain). A record exists that shows you US Senator Harry Reid and you US Senator John Kerry in August 2006 were made aware by me,-----, that presidential candidate/Illinois US Senator Barack Obama and co-chair Obama 2008/ Illinois US Senator Dick Durbin had been placed on prior formal written notice that when I a Hispanic American citizen reported incidents of race discrimination towards me by Hormel foods Corp., UFCW, and Target Corp. the agencies the Illinois Department of Human Rights and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission(for instance, but not limited to) refused and are still refusing (even to this date) to afford me, a US American-born Hispanic citizen from the state of Illinois, the same full and equal protections under title VII, initially attempted to dissuade me from filing, continues to treat me in a clear biased, unequal, and discriminatory manner, is to this date continuing to cover up their misconduct, and intentionally misrepresenting what are the known true set of facts and circumstances in my particular situation. There can be no dispute that my civil rights are continuing to be violated, because I happen to be Hispanic. When non-Hispanics are allowed to assert race discrimination unimpeded. And todayyou US Senator Jhon Kerry endorsed presidential candidate/Illinois US Senator Barack Obama. I listened to your speech Mr. Kerry. You have made your discriminatory position on what is happening to me right now inIllinois abundantly clear. Unless you US Senator John Kerry, since you have full knowledge and understanding of my particular situation, pull your endorsement for presidential candidate Barack Obama. Immediately, you will be just as accountable & Guilty of racism against Hispanicssuch as myself in Illinois and elsewhere in this country. And to you US Senator Harry Reid I ask that you put aside your friendship/loyalty to anyone such as co-chair Obama 2008/ IL, US Senator Dick Durbin in the U.S. Senate to in fact investigate this clear & ongoing race discrimination against Hispanics/Latinos in the state of Illinois and finally do your job. You US Senator John Kerry should be exposing this racism right now so other US Senator colleagues will not be able to sell out Hispanics/Latinos. As you have in this election. This is a demand that no US Senator be allowed to endorse US Senator Barack Obama for the most important office in the US, unless they are first made aware of my particular situation. And that an endorsement for presidential candidate Barack Obama such as yours, US Senator John Kerry would be condoning this form of racism.
    ------

Chaos45i in Illinois

January 13, 2008 02:24 am at 2:24 am |
  11. wendy

Its Bush who has been pushing for amnesty to provide cheap labor for agribusiness etc.. Its been under his administration that enforcement has not kept up with the problem...
    The Democrats did not create the problem nor are they allied with the businesses who profit by the cheap labor.......

January 13, 2008 02:26 am at 2:26 am |
  12. Elva Dugan

It seems to me that if Obama wins the election and becomes president he will be indebted to a lot of political people who will endorse him. Knowing human nature I think these political people will expect some kind of payback. It's all about "You scratch my back and I'll scratch your back". Besides the political people in office, and those who are not, know that Hillary Clinton is her own person and will not be held beholden to anyone. Hillary will not be one to payback anyone's endorsement. John Kerry knew this when he endorsed Obama. If Obama wins you can be sure John Kerry will be given some kind of office in the Obama cabinet, Secretary of State perhaps? With Hillary, Kerry would get nothing.

January 13, 2008 02:33 am at 2:33 am |
  13. Mike

If all Obama doesn't get the nomination, all the senators will have egg on their faces. I think they are trying to ride the Obama wave. It will be funny if it turns against them.

January 13, 2008 02:33 am at 2:33 am |
  14. Michael

Senator Claire McCaskill calls herself a moderate yet she is backing Senator Barack Obama who is to the far left like John Edwards. Obama is the left of Hillary Clinton, not exactly a smart move on Senator McCaskill's part. Hillary is a moderate, more in touch with the majority over Obama. Oh well, I guess McCaskill wants to get voted out of office come election time.

January 13, 2008 02:33 am at 2:33 am |
  15. Joe

Thank you Miss McKaskill. You may have lost kate's vote, but you gained many more, including mine.

January 13, 2008 02:36 am at 2:36 am |
  16. Joseph Thang

To all the friends out there, this is a reminder that when sr. Bush left the White House, he said that, " I will be back in the White House." However, when Bill Clinton left the White House he did not say that he will be back someday. Although Clinton won NH primary, that was the end of Clinton era. With this being said, Hillery Clinton will not be the nominee for the Demoncratic Party. In the last minute only one man with integrity and personal conviction, Barack Obama will be the nominee. He will prevail in the last minute. Yes, its true that Clinton has supporters from the former Clinton Administration, but in a few weeks people will realize Barack Obama is the right man for the "Office." Do not take my word for it,see it for your self when the time comes. I am sure it for about 97%. I pray for him and his families that they will prevail in the last minute. May God speed him.

January 13, 2008 02:37 am at 2:37 am |
  17. DJ

See some of you people are so negative. Because she endorsed him, and you saying stupid s.... like I'm not going to endorsed you because you didn't vote for someone who I thought you should endorse. That’s childish. She has the right to endorse who ever she wants. Because she endorse him doesn’t make her a bad person and a good elected person. Many of you should be a shame on what you say. Geez I see why the kids grow up being as negative as they do today, it’s because of their parents teaching.

January 13, 2008 02:41 am at 2:41 am |
  18. Vi

"Dear Claire,
    My family resides in Missouri and voted for you in the last election. We even worked for your campaign.
    You have now lost our support and we will no longer support your bids for re-election because JOHN EDWARDS is the ONLY Democratic candidate we TRUST.
    Good luck in all your future endeavors."

I'm sure she will be heartbroken....please get over yourself.....

January 13, 2008 02:45 am at 2:45 am |
  19. Christy

What does these endorsements mean to a person that has no experience? I listened to Obama today and shook my head, no points and no skill. I could run for president. I think I know why he is soo popular, it's because he shows young adults that it does not take much to be something, just stand and say a hole bunch of motivational words and hope for the best. If Hillary clinton did that she would be out on her white rump! I dont know this women but she should be ashamed of herself! Hillary 08!

January 13, 2008 02:46 am at 2:46 am |
  20. Dexter Martin, St. Louis, MO

My respect for Senator McCaskill has increased two-fold. Her courage to endorse Senator Obama along with Senator Ben Nelson of Nebraska just floors me. While Senator McCaskill may lose some supporters because of her choice. She will inherit two more for each one that she loses. What an exciting time this is for our nation. I hope that all Americans will grasp these moments. They only come once in a life time.

January 13, 2008 02:49 am at 2:49 am |
  21. stephanberk

Fired up! Ready to go! McCaskill we welcome you on the obamaslide.

Gobama!!!!

January 13, 2008 02:50 am at 2:50 am |
  22. Richard Taylor

I have long said that if the Good LORD allows me to live long enough that I would see a person of Color in the White House.I am and always will be a Republican.
    Is Obama that man?That remains to be seen.He must WIN some BIG states.
    Like CA,PA,TX,FL,NY if he can win any of these then he viable candidate.He must also be able to beat Clinton(aka:THE IRON B****)!!!! If this thing remains close come convention time Clinton would be a Darn Fool if she does not offer Obama the #2 spot on the Ticket.I also say if I had to chose a Democrat it would be Obama.I leave you all with this LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE!!!Because it will be along hard fight till August!!!

January 13, 2008 02:52 am at 2:52 am |
  23. LS

If you are ignorant as some folks who are commenting here please do spare us your ignorance. How are you going to say endorsement do not mean anything. Are you a loner in the course of your life? Has anyone ever supported you at all? Surely endorsements mean a lot, and if they do not mean a lot, then they should start meaning a lot. The folks that endorse canndidates have more to tell us than we have estimated them to. Unless we count endorsements in the political process and start really understanding the core meaning of an endorsement, the we will not see its value to our politics. I applaud this woman for her leadership, and her ability to see the need to endorse Obama. It tells me something, and it ought to also tell you something. By all means if in your own ability to judge without bias, as a responsible citizen, having given careful thought to the candidates and having assessed what they represent, then do vote for the one you think is the best, but if you vote based if vested interest and self-centeredness, and a twisted view of the candidates, please reconsider you decision to vote, because you decision matters to the future of America. I urge all Americans to do away with ignorance, and to start paying attention to their decisions to vote. What we need to understand is our corporate responsibility, that if we vote wrongly without wisdom then it is us who are failing our country. People that are lead by feeling and not wisdom and understanding. They voted Bush, now they blame him for everything. Its time to be wise as a voter.

January 13, 2008 02:53 am at 2:53 am |
  24. /natge

go obama! dont let a man like this past you by. he is one of the greatest americnas ever if he has a way to stand!

January 13, 2008 02:54 am at 2:54 am |
  25. Desmond Onyilimba

Am desmond onyilimba from south africa. The world will be a better place if there is a change, and i will support the first man that brought that comment change to win this election. America is a big place the world is looking into.America is not a family business thing we should be serious about this because I LOVE AMERICA. OBAMA I BELIEVE YOU WILL DO THE CHANGE.

January 13, 2008 02:55 am at 2:55 am |