January 13th, 2008

McCaskill to endorse Obama

McCaskill will endorse Obama Sunday.
McCaskill will endorse Obama Sunday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Freshman Missouri Sen. Claire McCaskill will endorse Sen. Barack Obama's presidential bid Sunday morning, according to her spokeswomen Adrianne Marsh.

McCaskill, who considers herself a moderate, won a very tight race in 2006 against incumbent Sen. Jim Talent, helping Democrats take control of the Senate.

Missouri is one of more than two dozen states to hold its presidential primaries February 5.

UPDATE: On a conference call with reporters announcing her endorsement of Obama, McCaskill said the decision between Obama and Hillary Clinton was a difficult one.

"This is not an easy decision for me. I have deep respect for Hillary Clinton," she said. "She’s a smart woman and a strong leader, but at this moment in history it is very important that we look forward with optimism and hope that we’ve not been able to gin up in this country for awhile.”

– CNN Congressional Producer Ted Barrett

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Rebecca Rhodes

Whether you vote for him or not, it is undeniable that Barack Obama has helped reinvigorate our politics. It is beginning to seem that it is not a FOREGONE CONCLUSION that we will, again, be led by exactly the same families that have been leading the country for decades. The United States is NOT a monarchy. (I think we fought a famous war sometime in the mid-1700's to prove that). The Clintons are powerful, and a good deal richer than the Obamas. But maybe, just maybe, they will not be allowed to represent their party in the general election. Maybe people in their party, like Senator McCaskill, want a new and different kind of leadership. Thank you, Senator McCaskill, for speaking truth to power. Obama 08!

January 13, 2008 03:00 am at 3:00 am |
  2. John Paul

Edwards is the best preidential candidate, ALTHOUGH he DOES not stand a chance due to Obama and Hillary Clinton. Hillary Clinton is THE MOST corrupt of all the Democrats-she has accepted millions of dollars from the lobbyists, THUS, Obama is the only candidate who stands a chance defeating Hillary and the republicans. Unless you are an idiot and ignorant like BD who is going to vote for a Republican! If you are going to vote for Republican don't even bother reading this article or my comment!

January 13, 2008 03:01 am at 3:01 am |
  3. Nancy Levin

Senator McCaskill demonstrates good sense in choosing Senator Obama at this point . As a moderate, her endorsement carries more weight now than later when all those late-comers join the parade.

January 13, 2008 03:04 am at 3:04 am |
  4. HP, Maryland

BD,

Have you ever wanted a job that illegal immigrants have? They aren't taking high tech jobs from you. They are out feeding pigs and paving roads. Perhaps you should take a look at who is really taking the jobs that ordinary Americans actually wants.

INDIA and LEGAL Indian immigrants to the United States.

January 13, 2008 03:07 am at 3:07 am |
  5. mike

its a good move for our country barack obama is a great candidate to lead our country

January 13, 2008 03:30 am at 3:30 am |
  6. Sledge

Madam President!!!
    Battle Tested!!!

Hillary!!!
    Hillary!!!
    Hillary!!!
    Hillary is America's Queen!!!

January 13, 2008 03:37 am at 3:37 am |
  7. Muchangi

The world is waiting for the US to understand that Obama will not only bring America together, he will also forge the world ahead. My vote goes to him, he the man of true change.

January 13, 2008 03:38 am at 3:38 am |
  8. J

BD, yeah, last i looked i haven't seen many white people out in the fields picking lettuce. immigrants aren't taking our jobs. i bet you'll be the first to complain when lettuce costs $8 too. and i know you aren't doing anything at all other than complaining. volunteer much?

and to those who think an endorsement doesn't mean anything have you heard of delegates and superdelegates? this is how a candidate is actually elected, not by the popular vote. getting an endorsement by a governor, senator, congressperson, mayor of a major city gets you more vote. come on, do your homework.

January 13, 2008 03:53 am at 3:53 am |
  9. Tommy

I believe that these endorsements prove very important when it comes down to Feb 5th or any other date for that matter. Anyone who is undecided or leaning slightly one way or another, and whom voted for say McCaskill, would most likely go towards Obama. As tight as this race will be in almost every state, especially MO, this is big.

January 13, 2008 04:02 am at 4:02 am |
  10. meroo

I think all Americans should get together one hand, do america a favor and vote for obama

January 13, 2008 04:06 am at 4:06 am |
  11. Gracious & Logical

Pfc Mason Andreason

As I have come to realize, if Sen Obama can survive the ruthlessness of the Clinton machine, there’s not much else (if any) that the Republicans can do to him. Think about, the Clintons have tried it all… and remarkably just when you think that the Clintons have done their supreme worst, they actually manage to top themselves...

I absolutely detest their callous tactics.

DG

January 13, 2008 04:23 am at 4:23 am |
  12. Jes, Bethesda, MD

Well it looks like another WOMAN is endorsing Obama despite Hillary playing the gender card everyday. That's because most intelligent women know Obama is the better candidate and being President is not about gender or race.

I'm still waiting for Hillary to advertise on the lifetime channel as the political victim.

January 13, 2008 04:30 am at 4:30 am |
  13. Brittany, Oklahoma

Endorsements are good for grabbing a quick headline to keep a candidate's name in the media for the day.

January 13, 2008 04:30 am at 4:30 am |
  14. Everyone Be Cautious

I read a great book authored by Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins entitled "Left Behind". The book introduces a great man by the name of Nicoloae Carpathia Which ended up to be the Antichrist. This man described as the new Romanian ambassador to the U.N. He was young, dashing, charming, persuasive, well dressed, well spoken, and no blemishes on his record. This man was very popular with his colleagues and the people. He was in the lower house of deputies and rose to the occasion from nowhere to unseat the President of Romania without an election. Everyone become under the man's hypnotic power. Now the story goes on in the next books -Tribulation Force and of course, Nicolae. The Barrack Obahma story–in most respects, paints the same story.

I love you Oprah for supporting this brother, but my gut tells me these are the years before the coming of Christ. Proceed with Caution!

January 13, 2008 05:05 am at 5:05 am |
  15. Karl Junkin

This isn't the first female political figure this week to endorse Senator Obama. If the publicity is high enough, Senator Clinton's hold on female voters could be eroded across all age brackets.

January 13, 2008 05:08 am at 5:08 am |
  16. Mosoti- Kenya

Obama, we will lie side by side, until you win, this election, together with my TEXAS SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY STUDENTS WE ARE FOR YOU, SMART AND INTELENGENT

January 13, 2008 05:37 am at 5:37 am |
  17. Mosoti- Kenya

WE HAVE BEEN NEGLITED FOR LONG TIME, IF I HAD WHISTLE, I WILL BLOW IT LOUD, THE WHOLE AMERICA TO HEAR, HOW WE ALL FEEL ABOUT YOU.

January 13, 2008 05:40 am at 5:40 am |
  18. Mosoti- Kenya

It doesn't matter about colour or race, Obama has a very nice strategic movement to win the race, if all black and white fox need change, this could be the best time. Consequently, Obama's realistic in his dreams, please let us give chance.

January 13, 2008 05:48 am at 5:48 am |
  19. Kyu Reisch, Radcliff, Kentucky

Alex, she is freshman, she think she is on the same boat with Obama. I don't think she knows how to vote like Obama. Her endorsement doesn't mean anything to smart voters. She proved her naive and inexperienced.
    FELLOW SUFFERERS HAVE SYMPATHY FOR EACH OTHER.

January 13, 2008 06:34 am at 6:34 am |
  20. Sigesigesputnikoxo

Vote Obama and it's going to be another republican at the white house. The Reps are afraid of Hillary and will a hard time beating he'. Why do you think Karl Rove advices Obama on how to beat Hillary. He even got an endorsement from a republican senator. Yup, a republican senator endorsing a democrat candidate. And talking about change. There will always be a two party system. Our political system is made that way. Even fellow party members are fighting among themselves for their nomination so how can Obama even talk about unity. So you young people who thinks that Obma is the cool thing right now...go on.. Hitler spoke eloquently about changes, visions, and the future and he was so hip that even the Jews were for him when he was starting his career. Go America Vote for Obama and we'll have another republican at the white house or another inexperience bubbling leader.

January 13, 2008 06:42 am at 6:42 am |
  21. Dora

Claire, you just lost my vote. I voted for you ,because you are a woman and I thought you knew to come in out of the rain. That is now wrong and I will not vote for you again.

January 13, 2008 06:51 am at 6:51 am |
  22. Susan

People are maybe finally waking up to the fact that the Clinton Dynasty is OVER!
    Obama is the only level headed candidate in the bunch...if he for some reason does not win the Democratic Nomination I will not even vote in the presidential election. I would NEVER vote for Hillary and I couldn't lower myself to vote republican. I will support Obama in the presidential election and Obama only. He has a passion for this country that I have not seen in a long time....people don't want more of the same....they want hope back..........and I don't think the Old School Politicians have a clue as to how deep this runs within the American People......Obama is the only candidate...to rally the our deeply divided country...GO OBAMA

January 13, 2008 06:54 am at 6:54 am |
  23. Florida23

As a middle class American that votes Democrat- I will not vote for Obama if he gets the nomination. I looked at Obamas campaign website at the urging of others and I was shocked about how anti-middle class it was. This guy wants to give all this money to poor people making minimum wage and supports illegal immigrants. I know alot of people are like me- we worked hard in school to become middle class- I won't stand by and watch someone lazy idiot get handed everything I worked hard for. I'll vote Clinton and if Obama wins I'll vote for the Republican. I don't want a Socialist president. The economy is about to take a big hit.

January 13, 2008 06:55 am at 6:55 am |
  24. JMarno

To: For Obama Supporters- (Person who has concerns over Obama's church)
    Below is an excerpt from the church this person says Barack goes too- This mission statement is no different than any denominational church I've ever been to- including "evangelical" churches. Please don't let FEAR direct you to the poles this Novemeber. . .the thing I really like about Obama is he is one of the only presidential candidates EVER, who seems to understand about the "age of grace" as opposed to "the age of Moses law" – that Jesus said "kills"
    (Unborn babies don't die because of a law, they die or live because of someone's compassionate choices. . .regardless of law). Jesus knew that. . .and funny, it's about the ONLY thing our current president said I agree with: "Before man can change, hearts must change" (though God obviously has already stated this in his Word)

Mission Statement: What Trinity Is About

Trinity United Church of Christ has been called by God to be a congregation that is not ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ and that does not apologize for its African roots! As a congregation of baptized believers, we are called to be agents of liberation not only for the oppressed, but for all of God’s family. We, as a church family, acknowledge, that we will, building on this affirmation of "who we are" and "whose we are," call men, women, boys and girls to the liberating love of Jesus Christ, inviting them to become a part of the church universal, responding to Jesus’ command that we go into all the world and make disciples!

January 13, 2008 07:26 am at 7:26 am |
  25. Mark

The media might want to ask Claire if her support for Obama has anything to do with a particular score she wishes to settle with Mrs. Clinton. She may not be thinking ahead. What goes around comes around.

January 13, 2008 07:31 am at 7:31 am |