January 13th, 2008

McCaskill to endorse Obama

McCaskill will endorse Obama Sunday.
McCaskill will endorse Obama Sunday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Freshman Missouri Sen. Claire McCaskill will endorse Sen. Barack Obama's presidential bid Sunday morning, according to her spokeswomen Adrianne Marsh.

McCaskill, who considers herself a moderate, won a very tight race in 2006 against incumbent Sen. Jim Talent, helping Democrats take control of the Senate.

Missouri is one of more than two dozen states to hold its presidential primaries February 5.

UPDATE: On a conference call with reporters announcing her endorsement of Obama, McCaskill said the decision between Obama and Hillary Clinton was a difficult one.

"This is not an easy decision for me. I have deep respect for Hillary Clinton," she said. "She’s a smart woman and a strong leader, but at this moment in history it is very important that we look forward with optimism and hope that we’ve not been able to gin up in this country for awhile.”

– CNN Congressional Producer Ted Barrett

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Mark

I see Hillary supporter comments mirror her campaign style. Low-class underhanded smear jobs mired in falsehoods and inaccuracies.

January 13, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  2. Robyn

CNN, WHY DO YOU REFUSE TO PUBLISH THIS. THIS IS THE 3RD TIME I'VE SENT IT.

CNN leaps to announce Obama endorsements while neglecting to mention Clinton's. Here are just some of Hillary's endorsements, according to hillaryclinton.com:

Former U.S. Ambassador Edward Romero
    Henry Cisneros
    Congresswoman Shelley Berkley (Nev)
    Delaware Gov. Ruth Ann Minner
    N.J. Congressman Donald Payne, the first African-American to represent New Jersey in the House of Representatives
    South Carolina Rep Jimmy Bales
    Former Defense Secretary William J. Perry
    Former Nebraska Gov. and Senator Bob Kerrey
    Oregon Gov Ed Kulongoski
    Robert F. Kennedy Jr.
    Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland
    Former V.P. Walter F. Mondale
    Indiana Sen. Evan Bayh
    General Wesley Clark
    Calif. Sen. Dianne Feinstein

See long list at HillaryClinton.com

January 13, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  3. Kim, Dallas, TX

Some of these posts truly lack credibility. They try to say that Obama is not intelligent and he is only attracting the young, restless portion of our population. Furthermore, they try to make those of us who support him feel ashamed to do so. Childish is the word that comes to mind. "If you don't like my candidate, I will bash yours". I read nearly every comment to find out more about candidates. PLEASE NOTE though, I do research comments to know if they are true or not. It's so obvious who doesn't do that on here. It's obvious who just espouses hatred and bigotry....who falls into the mudslinging and meant to sway comments from fellow candidates. Obama isn't intelligent? Go figure? He has done so much more for himself, by himself, than many people in life, and more importantly, than much of the Washington politicians. Obama only wants to be president because he is black so he can control white people? Where does that nonsense come from? He is part white too. Ignorance surely runs rampant in our country. I believe statements like the ones made by Marianna Pepitone show that many in our country fear having someone with black heritage as a leader. Trust me Marianna, I am not DUMB. I am a member of Mensa, with two college degrees, having graduated Magna Cum Laude. I am a white, female, baby boomer who sees what Obama truly has to offer our country. I am tired of the divisiveness of our current government and feel that only Obama truly can bring us back together. The Clinton's try to damage a person's character to win. I will not vote for Hillary no matter what.

And to the person who thinks HIllary won't bow to those who have funded her campaign? Wow, she is one who is funded by lobbyists and special interests. They back the candidate that they know will support their wishes. She believes them to be ordinary Americans. My feeling is that a vote for Hillary is a vote for the Republican party. They will come out in droves to be sure she doesn't get nominated. There are many in our own Democratic party that won't vote for her as she has shown her true colors.

January 13, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  4. rc missouri

This is a no big deal especially to Missouri that knows Claire had ran against former Gov Bob Holden for gov and Gov Holden strongly supports Hillary for President as does former Gov Hearnes and his wife Betty. By the way Claire still owes roughly 1.2ml dollarsfor that bid for Gov before she ran and made the Senate, Claire is close to Sen Durbin (Illinois) but Sen Harry Reid (Nevada) who talked Claire's husband into investing in her bid for Senator in Missouri is definately with Hillary Clinton for President....
    Missourians for Hillary

January 13, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  5. Anonymous

WHY CANT THESE CNN NEWS CASTER, JOURNALIST ADMIT THAT THEY ARE WRONG, JUST ONCE, ABOUT THEIR COMMENTS AND THEIR RIDICULOUS POLLS!!!! IN REGARDS TO THEIR OVER REPORTING, OVER EXADURATING, STATING THE WRONG WINNERS.

HILLARY, IN MY OPINION AND IN MOST WAS ALWASY THE STRONGEST CANDIDATE AND CNN NEED TO STOP MAKING EXCUSES FOR THEMSELVES SAYING THE ONLY REASON WHY SHE WON IS BECAUSE SHE "WAS EMOTIONAL AND BROKE DOWN". SHE BROKE DOWN BECASUE SHE IS HUMAN. LIKE YOU HAS FEELINGS AND WELL AS STRENGTH!!!!!!!

42 year old female
    Honolulu, HI

January 13, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  6. KB26

The fact is this blog over 120 hits already means most of you are looking for a reason to vote for Obama. No matter who wins between Hil and the big O, Dems will will. Happy days are here again.

January 13, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  7. DR

Just another, typical politician who is using Obama to try and get more African-American votes in their state to help further their own ambitions.

Time for people in this country to wake up to insincere politicos trying to pull the wool over people's eyes!

January 13, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  8. charlotte

Excuse me for asking, but does anybody besides me, read what others are saying? Or do they just go straight to leave your comment? I've never seen such venom in my whole life. The democratic candidate, whomever that might be, are going to need all of us to come together to solve the mess the GOP have left us. We all are all americans first and foremost. How can we talk about crossing the isle, when we can even agree amongst ourselves. We must take control of the white house, America is at stake. Support your candidate with passion, but leave the attacks to the GOP.

January 13, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  9. EE

Endorsements only mean something when Hillary is the one endorsed.Pathetic

January 13, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  10. Carrie Littles

Ya! For the USA it time to pull the country to gather and I think OBMA is the best one to bring us to a place in the world wher we need to be.

January 13, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  11. john

Obama is like an empty suit. Full of empty promises. Dig his flip-flopping records as a senator in Illinois. I favor Republicans, but because of Hillary I changed my mind. Hillary 2008!

January 13, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  12. smd

Go Hillary. We believe in her in South Carolina. This is Clinton Country.

January 13, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  13. Simone

for the person who posted the link to Obama's church. Okay so you say that it's not okay that he goes to this church because he is running for president. Exactly what church should he be going to????? RIDICULOUS!!! that is why this country will continue to be divided if he is not elected.

January 13, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  14. Boring

Yes, CNN we get it Obama goooooood, Clinton baaaaaad.

McCaskill got elected for her position on illegal immigration and Obama has the opposite position on illegal immigration. Odd.

January 13, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  15. Boring

Jeff Spangler, congratulations on getting CNN to post your blog on Shelby Steele. I have watched him also (even on CNN). They refused my post when I wrote about his talk on Bargainers and Challengers. How bargainers are empty vessels, etc. But they refused to post it.

They also refuse to post if I mention that the race issue will disappear after South Carolina. Special.

January 13, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  16. Independent

Independent's will make a difference this election cycle. I'm an independent. Obama will never have my vote. I don't appreciate the Obama machine referring to white's as racist as they go into South Carolina. It's manipulative and sleazy. If the guy is so outside of the system, why is he sucking up to the system. The change rah, rah, rah is hypocritical. Obama 08 Yawn....

January 13, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  17. Paul C.18

First time voter and thank God my mom has taught me Politics 101 here in Missouri,,Hillary Clinton 08 is my choice.Her experience,strength,compassion will prevail in the coming days as the Clear Distant differences between Obama's camp and the vision Americans see with Sen.Hillary Clinton. I have been deeply worried about the war and its effect on American Economy. As I start my future as a college student with a disabled strong Democratic Mother I urge all young persons to vote along side me for a great future and follow the advice of a loving caring mom who sees it like it can be HILLARY CLINTON.com join today YOUR future depends on LEADERSHIP......Oh yes Claire as auditor did nothing about the horrible educational problems in the school system here in St Louis and thanks again my mom for home schooling me thru the years with a vision for my future with love and compassion

January 13, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  18. Democrate_08

I think Obama will win the democrate race for the presidential seat because he has the best projected votes for many states and not only that but of the things he has to say just for example he says that he will raise the minimum wage and which will draw in working class citizens. And he would the majority of the African-American votes will be crucial in the presidential race and not only those two reason but he has a couple of the republican voters AND upper class citizens also! Even some things that I didnt list are great about what hes doing and this is good enough to get my attention on Obama

January 13, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  19. kamen wati

Mariann Pepitone said:

But to have a KENYAN IN THE WHITE HOUSE. NO GO11 WE DON'T WANT HIS RELATIVE'S IN THE WHITE HOUSE WITH ALL THE KIDS RUNNING AROUND. THE PLACE WOULD BE A DISASTER AND THE ODOR WOULD KNOCK YOU OUT. GO HILLARY11.

Obama is an American, obviously more so than you. Otherwise he couldn't be a candidate for president. Your remarks reek of the stench of ignorance and bigotry.

Go Obama!

January 13, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  20. None

I was a 20 yr Dem, recently turned Independent. Endorsements are business as usual. So far, I support none of these candidates. None of them can change a thing I want changed.

They don't make the laws. I want representatives who make legislation in line with the will of the people. New York driver's licenses were an example. 70% of the people were opposed to drivers licenses for illegals yet the ignorant government was debating which type of licenses to give illegals. This is how all legislation is passed. The will of the people is ignored while they debate on behalf of their special interests. That is what I want changed. None of these candidates say they are going to listen to the majority. None.

I'm tired of the politicians and media selecting our President and I'm tired of being ignored by these pathetic excuses for representatives. I want representation. That is the change I want. None of these candidates have any intention of representing the people on a broad range of issues.

Before the demand for change continues..... have even one of you EVER written or called your representative even once? Before you demand health care... I want to know how much debt you have. We are the most debt laden country yet whine 'give me, give me, give me more. Do you have a closet full of clothes? Do you have thousands of dollars in credit card debt? Have you ever foregone a vacation? Have to park your car on the street because your garage is filled with crap? Big screen tv? Stop whining. You CAN afford health care, you just CHOOSE not to. Are you really whining about the national debt while you are in debt? Get real. Bought a big house you couldn't afford? You do not have a constitutional right to square footage. What happened to the need for repairing our infrastructure?

Change: The government start acting in a responsibe manner and represent the people. The public to start acting responsibly and stop expecting the govt to bail them out yet again.

But don't forget... what's important is that one politician is supporting another. Whoopee!

January 13, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  21. Why not a Clinton-Obama ticket in 2008?

Possibly the reason that these Senators are coming out to "endorse" Obama is that they are hoping and wishing that they will get a Cabinet position in his administration if he is elected-–they're all josteling for position and media attention and favor.

January 13, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  22. Eli

No surprise, Missouri is next to Illinois. Plus many women in power hate women in power, so... I wouldn't count Claire McCaskill as being objective. It is her preference...

January 13, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  23. Welfare

I left the Dem party this cycle. To blame the immigration problem on the Repubs is appropriate. But to ignore the Dems, naive... the Dems force the taxpayers to subsidize this cheap labor with ridiculous amounts of welfare. The Dems are forcing taxpayers to pad the corporate coffers. It's just another transfer of wealth. It's just corporate welfare. The Dems want more foreign workers than the Repubs. The Dems want more open borders than the Repubs. They want more visas. All of the Dems support comprehensive immigration reform. This and other ridiculous platforms are why I have left the party.

Stop saying Obama will unite the people. Can't you read. Many people do not and would never support Obama. I wouldn't.

January 13, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  24. Justin

People against illegal immigration are racist. 20 years from now you'll be looking back realizing you were just as bad as the racists in the 60's. No one complains about a guy from Britain who isn't here legally, or a french guy or a german guy, it's always the mexicans or the asians. Modern day ignorance = Mitt Romney.

January 13, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  25. BRO

There are some who have a vision and can see the future of tomorrow and some who can not. Senator McCaskill has a clear vision.

Obama08 – "Yes We Can!"