January 13th, 2008

McCaskill to endorse Obama

McCaskill will endorse Obama Sunday.
McCaskill will endorse Obama Sunday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Freshman Missouri Sen. Claire McCaskill will endorse Sen. Barack Obama's presidential bid Sunday morning, according to her spokeswomen Adrianne Marsh.

McCaskill, who considers herself a moderate, won a very tight race in 2006 against incumbent Sen. Jim Talent, helping Democrats take control of the Senate.

Missouri is one of more than two dozen states to hold its presidential primaries February 5.

UPDATE: On a conference call with reporters announcing her endorsement of Obama, McCaskill said the decision between Obama and Hillary Clinton was a difficult one.

"This is not an easy decision for me. I have deep respect for Hillary Clinton," she said. "She’s a smart woman and a strong leader, but at this moment in history it is very important that we look forward with optimism and hope that we’ve not been able to gin up in this country for awhile.”

– CNN Congressional Producer Ted Barrett

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Obama Camp

I agree A Walters:

If Obama Wins I Will defently vote for McCain. Experence alone Obama is to immature to be President

January 13, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  2. YouthVoter, CA

Obama tells me change is new, I agree (not knowing every election Presidential politicians talk about change and nothing changes).

Obama tells me to hope so i start hoping.

Obama tells me to change, so I change my parents since they are past and status quo.

My friends (fellow Obama supporters) tell me to repeat Hillary hate posts 100 times a day, so I do it. It's a change from my other work.

Obama tells me to convince my other immature youth friends to cheer for change, I do it.

Obama tells me to ignore experience, so I ignore my parents experience of knowing the world as again, they are past and status quo.

I ignore every old person who was served nationally as they are status quo. Your national service doesnt count in the new world of hatred filled starry eyed fairy tale following youths like me.

January 13, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  3. Sam

You know, it seems a case in point about the politics of hope versus the politics of bitterness. On blog after blog after blog and on "comments" on news story after news story this primary election season (where unless I'm mistaken, Democrats are running against Democrats and ULTIMATELY against Republicans later in the Fall, and Republicans are doing likewise) supporters of one candidate harass, criticize, denigrate, and call supporters of other candidates impolite names.

I'm particular struck in this story with the number of people posting comments who claim (a)to be supporting a democratic candidate, (b)to be from Missouri and (c)to have supported McCaskill in the last election, but now think she's the filthiest piece of political crap because she endorsed someone other than their candidate in this primary election. Sheesh people. Lighten up. Save your vitriol for Al-Qaeda and those in this world fully intent on doing this nation harm, not for people trying to do good even if you don't like them personally or based on their stands on policy.

After 8 years of a president driving a political wedge into this nation's so-called Culture war, I'm sick of this divisiveness. Partisanship is one thing, but viciousness is quite another. Probably why I'd have a heck of a time choosing should the general election be between Obama and McCain.

January 13, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  4. John ny, ny

Claire- if decision was so difficult then why not just stay nuetral. Why pick sides. You should be ashamed of yourself.

January 13, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  5. Tom Masters

What an idiot! First she is a Freshmen so her 'endorsement' means little.

Second, duh! she's in Obama's neighboring state. Once again, duh.

Third, once they air Obama's dirty laundry, she'll be distancing herself from him.

Fourth, it shows her inexperience being suckered into the 'hope' campaign.

Fifth, she's looking for hope and optimism that hasn't been seen in this country for awhile, hmmm, yeah since the 98/99 utopian years, when Billary was last in office.

I'd go on but it's too easy.

Man, Obama has rec'd some of the most rediculous endorsements EVER.

If I were in his position I'm not sure I'd accept all of them just because they are offered, sometimes it is wise to decline an endorsement on principle, for instance the Kerry endorsement.

January 13, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  6. virginia nielsen

Besides Senator Obama being fantastic person we must watch for the " dividing agent" that Hillary is... the Republicans are praying for her to be the nominee and them the government machine is going to run over her!!! Go Obama 2008 !!!

January 13, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  7. John

Hi Mariann Pepitone....Hum, talking about foreigners, funny isn't it how the USA was really created with foreigners. (where did the 13 colonies come from??)..come to think about it, we should ship you back to europe and the only people left there should be native americans.... Grow up...

January 13, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  8. Rita Morgan-Robinson

Again the Democratic Party will pick a loser in both Hillary and Obama and the republicians will win again. We have let the media choose our candidates. We have the most inexperienced candidates to run. Neither will get Ohio. A must to win. Why doesn't anyone ask them about immiagration or policies or how our they going to pay for it. Demand that they tell of 5 candidates that they will ask for vice president. A lot of Ohio Democrats will vote for McCain over Obama. Anyone thinking the South will vote for Obama with his immigration policy with a recession coming is naive. He is for the wine voter well Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Kentucky, and West Virginia are suffering. He is for trade policies that hurt the middle class. Ralph Nader will difinitely run and take votes away from him. He has already stated that. Swiftboating will occur on Obama look what happened to Ford in Tennessee. Resko will be a problem. Why did his wife buy the property for Obama? Who do you know will buy land for you without strings. $600,000. This calls on Judgement that he points to. He also has flipped on a lot of his stances. The media has not done its homework I bet the Republician will. Why is it racist to ask about his records. The Republicians won't tip toe around this issue. The elitist have found their candidate however the lunch box voter will vote for their pocket book. Huckabee or McCain or Romney will launch a campaign that Obama is a talker not a doer. Heaven help us if there is an attack. If I was a terriorist organization and wanted to influence the election like they did in 2004 when Osama released his message couple of days before the election. kerry was winning.I wouldn't want a candidate who would talk peace Obama and change the perception of how the Arab world see us. I am deeply disappointed that we again are looking at Obama as a uniter. Bush was suppose to be that and how did that go. People the founding fathers made our government an adversial type of system. They didn't want a kingship. When we make a candidate a savior as Obama has become what disappointment we will have when he fails. As all saviors do on this earth. Change the only way to achieve change he does not talk about. He can't provide it. The only way to achieve REAL change is to vote all incumbents out and start a new. He is getting endorsements from the governors, and congress. Looks to me like it is the establishment. I have voted Democrat for 41 years in Ohio and if Hilliary or Obama is the my parties choice. I will hold my nose and vote Nader or Republican and a lot of my fellow liberal democrats will do the same. Already the local radio stations are talking about his religion and his church. He will have to explain their philosophy and whether he agrees with his pastor. Not standing for principles and voting present will be a problem with a lot of people. Immigration is a big issue in Southern Ohio where native Americans are competing with illegals. The economy is a big issue and trade policies are breaking ohio jobs. Democrats have to look at experience leaders or forget the White House. Remember there are 2 wars going on and never has the voters voted for someone as inexperienced as Obama during a war. Democrats get practical examine the issues, Do not compare Obama with the Kennedy's. Just as Republican are trying to find another Ronald Reagan. There isn't any clones. Judge them on issues.

January 13, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  9. Mcain - WAR MONGER

Who is MasKil ???

January 13, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  10. pam Eugene OR

Wow!
    That is a wonderful endorsement from a white, female super delegate. Obama all the way!

January 13, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  11. Jimenez

Well now it all makes sense:

"McCaskill called Clinton "a smart woman...a strong leader" and acknowledged that she had faced strong pressure from her women's group allies to support the former first lady, or at least stay neutral. But she added, it's"important we look forward" and said of her decision, "I feel very strongly about it." The senator said it was her 18-year-old daughter, an Obama supporter, who ultimately urged her off the fence."

Wow whats next is she going to have her 18 year old kid in her office doing her job? Freshman Missouri Sen. Claire McCaskill – don't even bother running again. You're out.

January 13, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  12. The Great Unwashed Masses

Hillary crying like a little girl is what tipped the scales in her direction in NH. Nothing else. She saw her huge investment and career going down in flames and started crying because of that. Don't be fooled, she is part of the elitist contigent that runs the country and if elected nothing will change. She will say anything that will keep in the her news and in office. Her promise is the promise of MORE OF THE SAME FROM THE SAME RICH ELITE. She only cares about number one, and number one ain't you. You arn't even number two. Her win in NH has been described as a landslide victory but last time I checked a 2% win is hardly a landslide. Demand term limits, demand campaign finace reform, DEMAND A PAPER TRAIL AT THE POLLS, DEMAND BETTER REPRESENTATION, DEMAND THE ELIMINATION OF THE ELECTORAL COLLEGE.

January 13, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  13. Eric Bainbridge

Mariann Pepitone,

Your entry is despicable, racist, and inflammatory. If you are the type of person that is attracted to the Hillary campaign, she will lose an incredible amount of votes. Please take your racism back to the late 1800’s (that’s the Civil War, since I’m sure you won’t understand) and leave it there. As a Democrat, I find your views much more aligned with the Republican Party and would advise you to attend one of their meetings and join their party. We don’t want bigots in our party.

January 13, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  14. Jake, California

I love and respect Hillary but she has too many skeletons in her closet to win a general election....

And I personally believe that the people following her are the ones ruining her chances.

1. Bill
    2. Her drunk advisers

3...Those suppporters who just say things from the top of their heads.
    They are always saying endorsements don't mean a thing.
    Yes, endorsement do. They give you super delegates and make more people to believe in what you are doing. It's like having a witness in court who gives a deserving positive testimony on your behave.

Re: FOR OBAMA SUPPORTERS
    My dear friend we have seen this web site many times over in several different posts and every one agree that that black church trying to help black communities is not racist. It is like a Jewish or Catholic church serving its people....

This is what I mean by all sorts of people being behind Hillary and ruining her chances.

January 13, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  15. AC

Obama lacks experience people! what the freak are you thinking?!? he should have waited for the 2012 or 2016 to start running...because then he has a little more under his belt and im sure he could run the country.

Hillary '08!

January 13, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  16. Matt

Everyone Be Cautious...are you sincerely suggesting that Obama could be the anti-christ? That is beyond absurd. But it's the first time I've heard it, so it's original. Seriously, though, it's ridiculous and shame on you.

January 13, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  17. aj

WHY IS IT THAT PEOPLE LIKE TO MAKE THREATS ABOUT PEOPLE WHO SUPPORT OBAMA OVER CLINTON? ALL I HEAR IS "THE CLINTONS WILL REMEMBER THAT" "THE CLINTONS WILL GET EVEN" "THE CLINTONS ARE NOT HAPPY WITH THAT PERSON, BUT WILL GET EVEN" WHAT'S THE DEAL, MAYBE SOME OF YOU ARE INTIMIDATED AND AFRAID OF THE WRATH OF THE CLINTONS, BUT GUESS WHAT, MILLIONS OF US ARE NOT.

THE BOTTOM LINE IS WHILE HILLARY MAY OR MAY NOT DEFEAT OBAMA, IF YOU INCLUDE THE NUMBER OF VOTERS WHO ARE VOTING FOR OBAMA AND EDWARDS, IT SAYS THAT THEY DON'T WANT HILLARY. IF YOU DEMOCRATS THINK HILLARY WILL BE A REPUBLICAN, THINK AGAIN. THERE WILL BE JUST AS MANY DEMOCRATS VOTING FOR A REPUBLICAN IF HILLARY IS ALL THAT WE HAVE TO CHOSSE FROM.

January 13, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  18. Derek, IA

For people who say that Barack Obama's endorsements from Washington politicians undermine his agenda of political change, you have to consider what he's trying to accomplish. He wants to bring unity and pragmatism to a prominent role in government; doing so requires embracing a variety of civilians and politicians alike, not rejecting the old guard. The fact that Senator Obama has actually sponsored bills with bipartisan authorship and his personal civility toward his opposition give us a reason to believe that he can succeed in unifying a government where so many others have either failed or not tried.

January 13, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  19. Clyde, TX

BUSH (1989 – 1993) – CLINTON (1993 – 2001) – BUSH (2001 – 2009) – CLINTON (2009 – 2017)
    That is not change. America needs a fresh face!!! We have to break this dynasty.
    Or I guess in 2017 we'll see the following scenario:
    JEB BUSH (2017 – 2025)
    CHELSEA CLINTON (2025 – 2033)
    BARBARA BUSH (2033 – 2041)
    JENNA BUSH (2041 – 2045)

January 13, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  20. Mark C. Eades

In the bipartisan battle of "experience" vs. "change," one thing seems clear: There is no shortage of experience in Washington. If Washington experience came in dozens, it would be a dime a dozen. Washington experience is what led us into the foreign and domestic mess we're in today. What we are short of in Washington is fresh ideas and unifying vision. Put a president with these in the White House, and all that Washington experience can be put to work taking America in a new direction. This is why I support Barack Obama for president.

January 13, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  21. jimmy

good for him. Keep cruising on Mr. Obama. we are with you all the way!!

January 13, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  22. RICHARD ESHUN[london]

The white house is not a political dynasty whereby from bush snr. to bill clinton and to bush jnr and to a potential hilary clinton.this is the time for real change. that is change we can believe in .Therefore i think senator BARACK OBAMA is the right choice for the democratic nomination.

Hilary should stop diminishing Dr.martin luther king's efforts on civil rights by saying that it took president johnson signature to realised luther king's dreams on civil rights in 1964.

And bill clinton saying that BARACK OBAMA presidential campaign is the biggest fairytale he has ever seen is a way of injecting racial prejudice and i think as a former president ,he shouldn't be making such comments just because his wife is in the race.

Is time for real change. OBAMA can bring that change.He is eloquent.

If a had a vote ,i will vote for OBAMA. GOD BLESS OBAMA.

RICHARD ESHUN.[LONDON] Political enthusiast

January 13, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  23. charlotte

Obama/Oprah 08

January 13, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  24. charlotte

obama/oprah 08 gooooooooooooooooo

January 13, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  25. Sis

Obama is the ONLY candidate who can win the general election. More people would vote against Hillary than vote for her. And thanks to her divisive dirty politics, as a democratic, if she get the primary nod I will abstain from voting for her to send a message: the status quo and your dirty politics will not work now or in the future.

January 13, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |