January 13th, 2008
1 year ago

Romney: Michigan 'not do or die'

ALT TEXT

Romney talks at a house party in Michigan Saturday. (Photo Credit: Getty Images)

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Republican Mitt Romney told CNN Sunday he will continue his presidential campaign through February even if he fails to score a much-needed win in Tuesday's Michigan primary.

"It's not do or die," Romney said on CNN's Late Edition of a Michigan win. "We are going all the way through February. But I can tell you, it is very important to me…I would like to see Michigan in the win column."

Romney placed second in Iowa and New Hampshire earlier this month, despite heavily outspending his opponents on television advertising there.

And according to a new analysis from TNS Media Intelligence/Campaign Media Analysis Group, CNN’s consultant on campaign ad spending, the former Massachusetts governor is also on track to dwarf his chief rivals on television advertising in Michigan.

He has spent more than $2 million on ads in that state, compared to John McCain's $360,000 and Mike Huckabee's $40,000.

Two new polls out of Michigan Sunday continue to show Romney and McCain are locked in a tight race for the top spot, while Huckabee is in a close third. A McClatchy/MSNBC poll puts Romney 8 points ahead of McCain, while a Detroit Free Press survey has Romney up by 5. Meanwhile, a Detroit News poll released Saturday showed McCain with a statistically-insignificant 1-point edge over Romney.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Michigan • Mitt Romney
  1. bill

their only one person that understands and can help michigan or any other state with the economy and thats hillary. I dont know whats going on with the white people in this country. If you think Obama is going to be thinking after the election about the white person over the blacks your dreaming. Thankfully I made my money when the Clintons were in the white house like every other american. Theres two people left in this race that know anything about fixing the economy. Thats Romney and Hillary. The rest dont know a thing. I lived and grew up in Boston and kerry and kennedy dont care a thing about people like myself or the rest of the everyday person. I knew kerry would come out for Obama. Im Irish catholic and I know what a joke Kerry is. He goes around saying he's irish but he is a Jew and like Lieberman he's a closet republican. He could care less about obama these people are using him to knock out Hillary. Michigan by going in and voting strong for Hillary can turn this race around big time. I dont care about New Hampshire. This Irishman wants Michigan. This Irishman and the country need Michigan to turn the tide. Good-luck people. Boston the country and Hillary want your votes big time!

January 14, 2008 12:25 am at 12:25 am |
  2. bill

you know a lot of people love to drown them-selves in holier then thow. I used to be like that. Then one day I realized I didnt have enough money to take care of my family. I got to know what anger was and I said to myself all these politicians care about is themselves. Their all so full of bull that will say anything to get your vote. then came bill clinton poor like I was. Can you believe it a poor politician. The first one I ever met that wasn't a millionaire. I finally met a man in politics that cared about me. He came through when he was in and I got a decent job and was able to take care of my wife and kids. I invested my money and today I dont have to worry like most people. I got mad like the rest of the country when clinton screwed up. After a while I said the hell with it . I dont care what a president does when hes serving as long as he keeps putting the food on my table. And cares enough about me to put my kids through school. Hell we know by now anyway their all filled with problems so you better pick somebody who can deliver. To all you people looking for perfection its not their. So settle for someone who will help your family. Settle for Hillary. Stop your sour grapes and put some food on the table. Let God take care of everything ethical. Because none of the people running can.

January 14, 2008 01:15 am at 1:15 am |
  3. JOBS JOBS JOBS

I was at a Romney Rally when he said JOBS JOBS JOBS

Romney has the right balance and he is passionate about America, I am warming up to MITT Romeny.

As a single mother a job means everything to me.

January 14, 2008 02:15 am at 2:15 am |
  4. Nancy, Phoenix

We know of McCain's record in AZ . It is not a good one. He is not a true Republican. He crosses over to vote with Democrats all the time. I know you have to work with the other party , but you also have to be true to your own party as well. McCain has done America a disservice too many times. He does not have my vote ever again.

January 14, 2008 02:19 am at 2:19 am |
  5. Jack K.

He's ddddddddone.

January 14, 2008 08:03 am at 8:03 am |
  6. william walsh col ohio

trust me it is very crucial for you to have any following in mich, i dont think you will but if you dont i suggest you go spend a few million on a nice lakefront prop, and write a book! jobs? what jobs,? you talking min wage jobs? you and your current administation have already sold out the american public to any good jobs just leaving the mienial task for the rest of us, your first down fall is that your republican, the second is the same,your leaders trac record for overspending,starting a war that is just too far out there, and your party is totaly responsable for if not a depression at least a resession, you and your party bud!!! if you had one ounce of guts we would have herd of you before,in oppisition to your partys position on current matters, not after it was done with you in office, wake up, do you think people are that stupid?

January 14, 2008 08:13 am at 8:13 am |
  7. W.D.Russell, East Liverpool, Ohio

Mitt will be more than happy to send other families kids off to die in his name.
    Mitt would use the full power of the office to see that the rich have more money.
    Can you spell Bush clone.
    Sad thing is tht Mitt's dad was a good guy.

January 14, 2008 08:40 am at 8:40 am |
  8. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

I will pass judgement on if it is do or die for Romney after February 5th. By that point, more than half of the states will have had their say. I would hope after that point, the candidates that didn't pick up something end their candidacy by then. I am talking about Hunter and Paul on the Republican side (possibly Thompson) and Gravel and Kucinich on the Democrat side. That would narrow the field slightly so that we the public can see if we want to go with one of them or decide that all of them are bunch of hooey; look at various 3rd party candidates instead.

January 14, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  9. bearable

To Charles in Salt Lake City, UT and others...
    If you think that Republicans have a snowball chance in h... of courting the Black vote -think again. 96% of all the Black vote goes to the Democrat automatically; 4% is in play. No Republican need think that he or she can become 'electable' based on a Black conservative constituancy -it does not exist. I teach in an all Black high school and when we hold student elections for Democrat and Republican candidates -that 96% holds up here, too. Black voters follow Jesse Jackson's lead when he said (says) "..we Blacks decided decades ago that we would mass our voting leverage with the Democratic Party." That is the litany and that's how it goes -perhaps for uncounted generations to be. Remembering, that 4% of the Black voting population has seen the wisdom of informed voting options.

January 14, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  10. Darren

yeah, looks like his strategy is that it's ok to finish 2nd in a lot of races while other candidates may win, they also have 3rd or 4th place finishes whiich may not produce any delegates. then he still is in the lead. but he still has to pull off some wins to be legit. still wide open race, it appears.

January 14, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  11. Dave

Charles in SLC- keep smoking whatever it is if you think he needs the African-American vote to win. not necessary. didn't really see Bush getting much of it in his 2 wins.

January 14, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  12. Lacie and Gunther, NY

To "Margo" – "Grandfather McCain" ?? you say ? !
    McCain is only 71 and in great shape.He is honorable and served our country.
    Romney ran like a wimp. NO service. Mormon "service" (LOL!)
    Romney has to dye his hair girly-girl matte black, to look young !

Can YOU see fat farm woman Ann Romney lumbering around the country as First Lady, with her inane selfish agenda of attempting to "cure MS", as she puts it?
    HOW many millions of Americans will that benefit?? NOT !
    This proves what a know-nothing she'd be as our First Lady.
    Or can you see the very elegant, stylish, gorgeous, healthy Cindy McCain as First Lady, with all of Cindy's philanthropic endeavors and causes and charities?
    Cindy McCain is an accomplished businessperson and Ann Romney has spent nearly 40 years in the kitchen.
    First Ladies matter.

January 15, 2008 01:09 am at 1:09 am |
  13. TH, Boston, Mass.

IT IS CLEAR THAT ROMNEY CAMP IS POSTING , USING FAKE NAME AFTER FAKE NAME. JUST LIKE ON FIVEBROTHERS.COM.

LOSERS.

January 15, 2008 01:12 am at 1:12 am |
  14. Boston Boy

Michigan, wise up! Here in Massachusetts we heard all of his promises and we fell for them. Don't make the same mistake.

The guy didn't even stick around for the last two years of his one term as governor.

He was busy running around the country setting up his run for the presidency (and making light of the state that had the nerve to actually elect him in the first place).

Frankly, I don't care at all about what his religious beliefs are and the biggest irony is that the issue hardly came up because we were electing the man, not the religion. Too bad we didn't get the guy we were told we'd be getting.

January 15, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  15. Ken

wow lacie. keep drinking the war mongering McCain's koolaid. maybe it will give you MS.

January 15, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |