January 13th, 2008

Romney: Michigan 'not do or die'

ALT TEXT

Romney talks at a house party in Michigan Saturday. (Photo Credit: Getty Images)

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Republican Mitt Romney told CNN Sunday he will continue his presidential campaign through February even if he fails to score a much-needed win in Tuesday's Michigan primary.

"It's not do or die," Romney said on CNN's Late Edition of a Michigan win. "We are going all the way through February. But I can tell you, it is very important to me…I would like to see Michigan in the win column."

Romney placed second in Iowa and New Hampshire earlier this month, despite heavily outspending his opponents on television advertising there.

And according to a new analysis from TNS Media Intelligence/Campaign Media Analysis Group, CNN’s consultant on campaign ad spending, the former Massachusetts governor is also on track to dwarf his chief rivals on television advertising in Michigan.

He has spent more than $2 million on ads in that state, compared to John McCain's $360,000 and Mike Huckabee's $40,000.

Two new polls out of Michigan Sunday continue to show Romney and McCain are locked in a tight race for the top spot, while Huckabee is in a close third. A McClatchy/MSNBC poll puts Romney 8 points ahead of McCain, while a Detroit Free Press survey has Romney up by 5. Meanwhile, a Detroit News poll released Saturday showed McCain with a statistically-insignificant 1-point edge over Romney.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Michigan • Mitt Romney
  1. whatsitToyou

Well Mitt definitly wants to win this thing, the more I listen to him the more I like him..Would I vote for him well that I have not decided.

January 13, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  2. Vote08

Isn't it interesting how CNN says they are locked in a tight race when two polls show Mitt Romney leading McCain by 5 points in one poll and by 8 points in another. Yet in New Hampshire, when McCain was leading by only 4 points, CNN was reporting that McCain was clearly the front runner, and there was no mention of it being a tight race. I am sure if Romney were up by 10 points, CNN would stll report it as being a tight race.

Go Mitt!

January 13, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  3. Chris Bez

I think he's rather more convincing than any of the other GOP candidates – and I relate to his policies more than I do any of the Democrats at this stage...

I personally feel he is the most electable of all the Republican candidates and he is great at communicating his message with conviction and without complicating matters.

January 13, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  4. Chip Boston MA

Mario, the "insane" one is Romney. The "man" is finally crazed and in total denial. It is fun to watch. Mitt Romney has NO chance at all. He cannot accept that he is a failure. He flip-flopped, lied, blew smoke everywhere- he even degraded every other candidates' marriages. NH saw right through him and declared he ran the most unfair campaign (atacking everyone). All Mitt knows is attacking others. Oh what fun to watch this deluded idiot fall hard !!

January 13, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  5. Rob

Mitt understands the economy. Look around, a recession is on the way. Mitt is the man to guide the country.

January 13, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  6. DenisL

We each seem to have our own major issue(s) that make their choice for President seem like the best one. My question is: Would someone tell me why we should NOT elect Ron Paul?

The rest, with Richardson out and Kucinich low in the polls, seem to be talking crazy talk about our military adventures in the Middle East. Additionally, no one else seems to understand the problems with the economy, inflation, and out of control deficit spending. Inflation is going to eat us alive, as it has already started to do so. Do you really believe that the REAL inflation rate last year, the rate that was used by the government for Social Security check increases this month, was 2.3%? Just look at the price of gold up 30% in 2007, now at an all time high and getting higher!

One can not talk about tax cuts without ALSO talking about cutting spending. We have a $9 trillion debt (double since 2000) that must be paid so we can afford Social Security and Medicare. The interest payments will go sky high when we begin to fight inflation with higher Federal Reserve bank rates.

And we must stop inflation or everyone's life savings will go down the tubes, along with the middle class, like what has happened to the middle class in most countries south of our border. And do not forget National Health Insurance, which is coming down the tracks right at us, unless Republicans begin to understand the seriousness of runaway deficits and inflation. And start educating the country. A Democratic President will surely not fight inflation like Volcker and Reagan did!

Please vote Ron Paul and save the country from bankruptcy abroad and at home!

January 13, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  7. Donald, Butte, MT

Do I sense another flip-flop from the Master?

Now Michigan is not "do or die" for his campaign. I think it is and he knows very well.

January 13, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  8. Jim, Burlington NC

Mitt has higher negatives than even Hillary.

52% of the latest people polled by CNBC said they would under no circumstance vote for Mitt. If we Republicans want to lose, then nominate Mitt or Rudy – you want to win then Independants need to be brought into the voting pool and Mitt and Rudy will drive them away.

I live in NC, the home of Jesse Helms, and virtually everyone I know here that used to vote for Jesse, are vehiment about never voting for Mitt, Rudy, Hillary or Edwards – Democrat and Republican both.

Nominate Mitt and we lose – period.

January 13, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  9. Aaron

If I were from Michigan, I'd feel inclined to vote for Romney. He's getting pretty ambitious about seeking solutions for the auto industry. Even though I agree with McCain that some of those jobs are gone for good, I do think Romney gives a little hope to the industry and with the right investment, other technologically oriented jobs can replace those that were lost. Romney knows business better than anyone and I'd hope for him.

January 13, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  10. John S. Maine

The only persons who should drop out are the most Reverend Mike Huckabee and John McCain. They dont have the resources or appeal to win agaisnt Hillary Clinton.

Reverend Huckabees record is an abomination!

Mitt Romney has my vote and the vote of all my family and most of my close friends!

January 13, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  11. Gundy - Out west.

Jim,

And NC is a reflection of the rest of the country? - I live where everybody hates Obama, Hillary, Mccain and Huckabee, does that mean anything?.....Nope. Mitt has more delegates and more overall popular vote than any other republican. He is the most intelligent candidate, bar-none. And he has the credentials to impress even the most liberal independants.

January 13, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  12. Steve in NH

Jim from Burlington, NC..........I hope you're wrong. I understand what those polls say, but Hillary's numbers are not much better. And, I think Obama loses to Hillary. With McCain or Huckabee, our taxes increase and the border doesn't get secured................same as a Democrat would do. So why not vote on what you believe in ? I would not (and did not) vote for someone whose viewpoints are vastly different from mine, even if he/she perhaps, maybe, is more electable.

I believe that in the general election, the negative independents will start to look at Mitt in a different light. People need to look at Mitt and the person he is. I believe those conservatives in your state that you mention would vote for Mitt over Hillary or Obama.

My philosophy - vote for the person who views are most similar to mine, AND is electable. That is, Mitt Romney.

January 13, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  13. Paul Thompson

'Elect me and I'll solve all your problems....Blah...blah...blah!

I can't believe anyone would vote for this guy....but you know on AOL polls...67% of Utah will....wonder why?

We'll all be basket cases in four years with Mitt!

January 13, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  14. Jake, Brussels, BELGIUM

Hey Paul, sorry buddy, the Big Dig dollars far preceded Romney. All he did is fix the problem created by the losers who put people's lives in danger through shoddy contracting.

By the way, I realize that Wyoming is not a highly populated state, but as the son of a great man born in the Great Tetons, I have to stick up for that lovely land's common sense folk and remind CNN that Mitt did indeed win there in an unbelievable 70% landslide. You can unwrite it out of the history books all you want, but it still happened.

January 13, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  15. WC

I was sort of undecided untill I heard Romney pledge to cap non-military spending at inflation minus one percent. it was a bold pledge and one that I'd love all the republican candidates to make.
    go Mitt.

January 13, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  16. MW in PA

Romney is the only candidate who has what it takes to turn the economy around. His business experience and leadership in the private sector shows he he has what it takes. McCain has never been in the ecomony. He's never "turned something around". He's a lifer senator. Success breeds success. Romney's the only one who can beat the dems. and put this country right.

January 13, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  17. Spencer

If Mitt made his fortune by closing and ripping off companies, why are the C.E.O's from Dominos, Staples, and other companies saved by Mitt, huge supporters of his bid for presidency?

January 13, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  18. Bob Sadler

I appreciate the fact that Mitt Romney has a valid plan to bring the US economy back to a respectable level. Plus, he's not afraid to put his money where his mouth is. The millions that he has put into ads in all the states pays for substantial goods and services (mortgages, food on the table, etc.) for a lot of people who work for the ad agencies, the television stations, media outlets and so on. Those dollars end up churning through the local economies for quite some time.

So rich though he may be, Mitt Romney is helping the local economies in a way that McCain and Huckabee are not. A few million dollars goes a lot further than $40K. Maybe if Huckabee would release the grasp of some of the millions his evangelical flocks have given him, he could have some credibility. I imagine that some of Mr. Romney's money is even working its way into the pockets of evangelical families that plan to vote against him.

How about it Huckabee? Why don't you give back some of the millions you shuckstered from hard working evangelical belivers, or are you like Al Sharpton, and only plan on lining your pockets with the gold of those of us who work for a living? And McCain, you too, along with your aged mother who demonstrated your underlying bigotry against those who don't have the same belief system as yourself, can put money in the local economies that you want to represent. Or maybe the two or you are more worldly, and don't know what real charity is all about. And the rest of the Republican contenders, you're good men, but you have to put up or shut up too.

Flip-flop or not, buying votes or not, Mitt Romney is making a real difference in the lives of ordinary citizens of each state he spends his millions in. So this is one registered Democrat that can see through the blarney of the Democratic contenders and the hypocrisy of Republicans, and is voting for Mitt Romney, for real change in Washington so that we can improve the lives of ordinary citizens across our great nation, no matter their economic status or religion.
    Mitt in '08!

January 13, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  19. Bill Culver, Covington,LA

Tom Masters, what pray tell do you master? definately not your thought process.
    (1) I am not the least bit disconcerted. (2) Michigan, home State? As I recall Michigan is the birth place of Mitt. beyond that he has spent nearly all his adult life in Mass. I grow weary of simple minded little people.

January 13, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  20. Anonymous, Somewhere, MI

Not a chance would I ever vote for Mitt Romney. He is NOT a Michigander! He hasn't lived in this state for forty years. He probably doesn't even call it "pop," anymore, he probably calls it "soda" (and you AREN'T a Michigander if you do that). No, this is another big-money candidate of Bush's ilk and will lose badly. I'm voting McCain on Tuesday. If Romney is the nominee I won't vote Republican. If it's against Obama, I vote Dem, if it's against Hillary, I vote Libertarian or Bloomberg.

January 13, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  21. Beacon2Light

McCain all the way! A true consistent conservative and a war hero. Who could ask for more!

January 13, 2008 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  22. Tim from Denver

CHARLES FROM SALT LAKE CITY this is for you. It is quite apparent that you are anti-Mormon and have serious issues. Personally I am not Mormon but have very good friends who are and I can tell you they are the best people I know. Why would you not want somebody representing this Country who has strong values and genuinely cares about others. He is a very intelligent man and knows how to get things done. Nobody else will even come close to fixing the economic hardship we are currently in and things are only going to get much worse with anyone else. We need a strong leader with good values, who will keep the views or the American people as his number one priority. He truly cares and wants to win. He is the best choice and deep down you know that.
    GO MITT GO

January 13, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  23. Margo

Can you really see Mike (Hick-a-bee) or grandfather McCain as the Leader of the Free World? Well obviously neither does the media, so they keep downplaying Mitt Romney and focusing on anything negative they can, so he won't go against Hilary or Obama. They know he is a leader and very capable. Mitt Romney is the only real threat to the Democrate party. Don't let the media tell you what to believe. Research the man yourself. He is a man that gets things done, and that won't back down when things get tough. His abilities shine in those moments, and goodness knows we are in tough times now! So shine on Mitt! By the way, read the book "Why I Believe". It was written years ago, and has a section on Mitt and his wife, Ann. It just goes to show what a really genuine good man he is.

January 13, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  24. Robert Robertovich

To the gentleman who egregiously misrepresented the teachings of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (the Mormon Church), religious bigotry has no place in America.

The Church's doctrines and practices are accurately explained on its official website: http://www.mormon.org.

January 13, 2008 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  25. brian

In other words - "we planned to lose Michigan. Really."

January 14, 2008 12:04 am at 12:04 am |