January 14th, 2008

Bill Clinton compiles 'list' of Obama attacks

Bill Clinton appeared on Roland Martin's show Monday.
Bill Clinton appeared on Roland Martin's show Monday.

(CNN) - Sen. Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign came out swinging Monday against the latest complaints from her rival, with former President Clinton announcing he has "a list of 80 attacks on Hillary" by Senator Barack Obama's campaign.

In a nationally syndicated radio interview on WVON, Bill Clinton said Hillary Clinton's way of handling attacks showed a clear difference from Obama. "She didn't complain about it," he said, citing one in particular that he considered "appalling."

"She just said 'I disagree,' and went on."

Clinton's remarks on the Roland S. Martin Show - which has a largely African-American audience - came amid a flare-up over remarks by Black Entertainment Television founder Bob Johnson, who appeared with Hillary Clinton on Sunday at a church in South Carolina, site of an upcoming primary.

Many believe Johnson made a veiled reference to Obama's drug use as a young man, though he insists that was not his intention.

"I think we have to take it at his word," the former president told Martin, adding that "nobody knew" what Johnson would say, and "it wasn't part of any planned strategy."

Johnson was rejecting the controversy over a recent remarks by Hillary Clinton, who noted that it "took a president" to make the Voting Rights Act a law after Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. had led the struggle for it. Some interpreted that remark as dismissive of the civil rights movement. Obama on Sunday called the remark "ill-advised."

Full story

– CNN's Josh Levs

1. PS, KC, MO

I'll probably get skewered for this, but here goes:
    I think part of the problem regarding the MLK fuss is that African Americans have practically deified Dr. King – to the point that they do not want to hear any comments that are less than glowing when he is spoken of. If he were Catholic, he'd have already been canonized.
    Don't get me wrong. I'm not some right-wing neo-con or some backwoods racist. I think Dr. King did some great things. He made some great speeches. He marched in the streets and raised awareness of the Civil Rights problem. He gave his life to the cause. I'm old enough to remember those days.
    But – he was a man, not a god. There were other people there marching with him. And, all the speeches and all the marches in the world would never had changed any laws without the political process to back it up. Without legislative change, there would have been no real change.
    To that end, LBJ (and members of Congress) did play a key role in Civil Rights legislation and making the changes that came about. Take the emotion out and that's the sheer logic you're left with.
    I'm a great fan of JFK's, but I will admit that, while JFK had the vision (Camelot), it was LBJ who was able to bring about the change (The Great Society). No different with Dr. King. Yes, LBJ was a back-room wheeler dealer and he could be ruthless at times. I'm not overlooking his flaws. But, sometimes, that's what it took to get things done.

January 14, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  2. Christopher London, NYC

BILL CLINTON=America's TOP CON MAN. This is conduct so unbecoming a former President but then again, it is not like he exhibited any honor, integrity or character while he was in residence at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. The 22nd Amendment needs to be amended to preclude "couples" from working in concert to controvert the intent of that Amendment. America, ask yourself do you really want this corrupt duo back in the Whitehouse?

January 14, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  3. Bob - Florida, RFO

Leslie, SC January 14, 2008 2:07 pm ET

No one has implied that Baracks' drug use is off limits!! What we are syingis that it is known news!

What do you want him to do? Take blood test for drugs?? This is pure and simple a case of the Clintons seeing something they saw as a devine right!

The oligarchy must go! Hillary as the virtual incumbent is part of the Washington mess!

January 14, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  4. Tim

This line of attack is transparent and counterproductive. It was rather clear that Bill and Hillary introduced race into the mix to suggest that Obama's skills at oratory were all he had, that he was in effect little more than a preacher. After opening Pandora's box, they then pretended that it was Obama who injected race into the race. All of this is transparent. I don't know who the Clintons think they are following. I was on the fence about which of these two candidates I would vote for, but no longer. These tactics reminds me of everything I don't like about the Clinton-Bush era.

Apropos of Clintonian tactics, Clinton seeks to contextualize her vote in support of the war by attempting to recast is a vote to continue with inspections. (If she really believed that to be the case, she, not Obama, is the naive candidate.) Not content to stop there, however, and with no sense of irony, she then misstates Obama's position on the war and attacks it. This lady has no shame.

I also think it's a little unseemly for Bill to serve as Hillary's attack dog.

January 14, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  5. Nadeem

Bill, a person who i once highly respected, has now become a joke.

January 14, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  6. Tommy

I beleive many Clinton votes will be heading to Obama or Edwards after these comments. Hillary needs to watch out because many say that if Edwards goes out of the race, all of his votes will lean towards Obama.

Many also said that if Clinton is not a first choice, then she is not a second choice. Therefore, she better not mess up like she is currently doing.

January 14, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  7. LOSE OBAMA

Vote Obama and you vote Neo con.

We all know that if obama wins he will lose the white house to the Neo cons.

Lets take back our dear America. Vote to win vote Hillary.

January 14, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  8. tired

The Clinton campaign, among other tihings, is talking (arguing) out load to itself and pretending that Obama is involved. This allows them to fabricate whatever narrative they want, like accusing Obama of what they are doing (an old cold war trick). Also, They know people can be manipulated easily usually by triggering prejudices.

January 14, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  9. brandie tampa

eric-massachusetts-

Actually...it's the OBAMANATOR...

Get it right schmucko!

(How's that for childish? ;)

and to the commentor who disses Michelle O. & the girls...

Truth be known...she certainly looks better than you...& has more class than you could ever dream of.

Maybe they don't focus on her because she's NOT THE CANDIDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Imagine that one genius!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dumb Americans are the ones dividing this country. NO ONE ELSE!!!!!!!!!!!!1

January 14, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  10. CE, Wisconsin, USA

Bush-Clinton-Bush-Clinton? Is this the USA or a banana republic? It is not healthy for our democracy to turn the presidency into a two family fiefdom.

January 14, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  11. Steve25

Bill was the first to started the war of words.

January 14, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  12. AnAmerican

The American people are too smart to fall for the Clinton's spin and back-tracking. Hillary was the one that insinuated that Lyndon Johnson was more important than Martin Luther King Jr. regarding civil rights. Bill was the one that used the phrase 'fairy tale'. Billary's friend Robert Johnson (Bill and Hill spent the weekend at his beach house!) is the one that insulted Senator Obama when bring up the teenage drug experimentation that Barack had already been honest about. Why has no one asked about or exposed Hillary's drug use?

January 14, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  13. Anonymous

Wait a minute! This is not we do really need in this country.

January 14, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  14. Mike Jones

I am an African American Obama supporter who if Barak lost the nomination to Hillary I was going to support her. This mudslinging by her, Bill and and their cronies (Johnson for one) has made me see how pitiful the Clintons really are I under no circumstances will support the Clintons.

Mike Jones

January 14, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  15. B.C. in Virginia

Hillary and her divisive nature.

Obama and his militant church.

Looks like another Republican is taking the throne come next January.

When we will the Democrats learn to nominate someone who is actually electable? John Edwards could beat any Republican in today's political environment. I guess, however, he's just not different enough for liberals. Now I've got to hope McCain wins since he's the least evil of the GOP.

January 14, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  16. Attacked by the Establishment

As I watch the evening news every day and I see how far down the toilet we have taken this country since the 60s, I can understand why the two party system is a joke. The Dems are kissing the rear ends of people who already have special laws made just for them so why should they play the game. (Hillary will win on the Dem side) If one has to choose then it will be someone we know is not a muslim. Caucasians in this country Dem or otherwise do not respect people who have special laws and rules made just for that group of people so they will not vote for minorities especially on a national level. Now, if the powers within the socialist fabric of our government that run everything can somehow bring themselves to do away with the divisive laws and rules such as so called civil rights laws (passed against Southern States only), Affirmative Action Laws (passed against all others except Africans) and quota systems (same as AAL) then maybe we can get on to the business of working together in this country. But that may not happen because radicals on both sides would have nothing to gain by creating peace and cooperation between the people of this country.

Ron Paul is the only candidate willing to tell the truth and if truth trumps everything else in this world then perhaps the people will see the light before we get more of the SOS.

January 14, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  17. Carl

I never thought that I would come to this point, but the Clintons turn me off SO BADLY with all this that I will not be able to come out and vote for her/them. I will not vote Republican, but I will stay home, and I won;t be the only one. The do not deserve our vote... The Supreme Court is at play, sadly. One more justice, and in many cases, we will know the outcome the moment a case is filed.

January 14, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  18. Matchu

The public's perception of Hillary is deteriorating and its going to cost her in the february 5th states and possibly California where she has had a strong lead for awhile. People are getting fed up with her trying to divide the party. We dont want it and we dont want her in the white house.

January 14, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  19. Anonymous

Anyway, who care?

January 14, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  20. Roland, Clifton - NJ

The fact of the matter is, the Clinton's are the only two individuals in either party that discusses the issues. And that is why they are so often attacked. The rest want to run as though they are on Entertainment Tonight. If you can find anyone, anyone, who has such a commanding understanding of the long-term issues facing our country, please let me know. Bill had to clean up years of ineffective government in the 90s; I guess Hillary will have to do the same. Wake up America. We are lucky they want to serve.

January 14, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  21. PAPA, IOWA

Bill is keep tabs for what. the republicans in novemeber. I hope someone keeps all this because it will be dejavu all over again in november. somebody will be swift boted with info from bills list. either obama or hillary.

January 14, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  22. Citizen

B.Lee

Get real!

That is what some may want you to believe. Go and do some home wrok.

Write it down: Hillary is the next president.

January 14, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  23. Diane

Hillary, you embarrass me! by john nelson
    Promoted Monday, 01/14/08 @ 12:30 pm. Published Monday, 01/14/08 @ 12:57 am

Being a baby boomer, just a few years younger than Hillary, I always thought and hoped that our generation would do extraordinary things after the 60's and 70's. I thought we would promote peace and justice; make huge progress on racism and sexism; and leave an everlasting mark on this country that our generation could be proud of.

Now it appears that one of the most important people of my generation; a person who claims to have supported all the ideals listed above, for the last 35 years; only believes in those ideals if they are convenient for her.

I guess, in the case of Hillary Clinton, when push comes to shove; ideals fly out the window if they are not working. In Hillary's case, it appears that the attitude is if we can't win above the fray, we'll settle for victory in the gutter. Whatever works. Apparently we really didn't know Hillary until now. I am so disappointed that one of the leaders of our generation has taken this route, when the going got tough.

Todays comments by Robert Johnson and yesterdays by former Senator Kerrey, about Barrack Obama clearly tell me who the real Hillary is. On the way to her crowning, Senator Obama got in the way (how dare he). Since then Hillary has played the race card, gender card, drug card, MLK-LBJ card, Obama is too liberal card, Obama is too conservative card; and completely twisted his positions on important issues such as abortion and Iraq.

Finally last week she played the tear card, and it worked. I've never seen her cry over our Marines and soldiers getting killed in Iraq, or over people losing their jobs, or over people without healthcare, or anything else. But when it appears she may lose an election she crys. That's because it's all about her. It's always been that way with the Clintons and their do anything, say anything strategy to hold on to and gain power. It's never about us; it's always about them. I for one, am embarrassed that they represent the Baby Boomer generation. Are we really that selfish and spoiled as the Clintons portray us?

January 14, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  24. Elliot

This isn't what I want.

As much as I look back fondly on Bill's years in the office, I guess I wasn't remembering what I DIDN'T like from him; this sort of stuff...

Ya, unless something dramatic changes, I don't think I am going to vote for Hillary. I only wish I could get the $100.00 back I donated before Thanksgiving...

lol

January 14, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  25. Shirley

It is a very sad day for the Democratic party. No primary in Michigan or Florida and now a former president publicly degrading himself. Bill Clinton had the respect of millions and during the past two weeks he has diminished that respect. His comments are embarrassing and he is negatively affecting his wife's campaign. His level of intelligence and political knowledge and savy should tell him that they are going down the wrong track. His talk show conversations have let me know that he is not the man he was thought to be.

Obama and his entire campaign should rise above this and stay out of the discussion. Show that you are bigger than this discussion and stick to the issues. We don't want to hear why we should'nt vote for Bill and Hillary, we want to hear why we should vote for you.

I fear that this country is going to miss out on two great opportunities for a sound leader of this country due to this racial slinging. Hilliary and Obama are both going to loose and we are going to end up with another 4 years of Republicans running the show. It is truly a sad time for the Democratic party. Maybe this country isn't ready for a woman or half-black man as president.

January 14, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |