January 14th, 2008

Bill Clinton compiles 'list' of Obama attacks

Bill Clinton appeared on Roland Martin's show Monday.
Bill Clinton appeared on Roland Martin's show Monday.

(CNN) - Sen. Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign came out swinging Monday against the latest complaints from her rival, with former President Clinton announcing he has "a list of 80 attacks on Hillary" by Senator Barack Obama's campaign.

In a nationally syndicated radio interview on WVON, Bill Clinton said Hillary Clinton's way of handling attacks showed a clear difference from Obama. "She didn't complain about it," he said, citing one in particular that he considered "appalling."

"She just said 'I disagree,' and went on."

Clinton's remarks on the Roland S. Martin Show - which has a largely African-American audience - came amid a flare-up over remarks by Black Entertainment Television founder Bob Johnson, who appeared with Hillary Clinton on Sunday at a church in South Carolina, site of an upcoming primary.

Many believe Johnson made a veiled reference to Obama's drug use as a young man, though he insists that was not his intention.

"I think we have to take it at his word," the former president told Martin, adding that "nobody knew" what Johnson would say, and "it wasn't part of any planned strategy."

Johnson was rejecting the controversy over a recent remarks by Hillary Clinton, who noted that it "took a president" to make the Voting Rights Act a law after Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. had led the struggle for it. Some interpreted that remark as dismissive of the civil rights movement. Obama on Sunday called the remark "ill-advised."

Full story

– CNN's Josh Levs

1. Tom Davie

The obama camp didnt have to FREAK OUT over the comments.

This is what the problem is. Cmon folks , get real.

In political campaigns , candidates poking at eachother is fair game.

Do you forget when obama(and Edwards) was BOOED off the stage for attacking senator clinton in a debate?

It was because Clinton was ahead. I dont blame obama for trying to beat Clinton back down.

Now obama has momentum and clinton is trying to beat him down. Its pretty standard stuff.

The race is so tight, Clinton feels she needs to make sure the HYPE doesnt get carried away, and Obama needs to steer clear of any attack on his experience , and keep talking about 'change' .

Hey, whatever works.

but the comments here on this thread and others make it seem like nobody considers these concepts , and is so ROYALLY OFFENDED by the other candidate (depending on who you support)

both clinton and Obama probably have phone calls to each other daily to map out what type of mud slinging is allowed.

Lets not forget people winning the nomination is NOT winning the election. Both the Obama voters need to vote for clinton and the clinton folks need to vote for Obama depending on who wins.

Dont let this silly stuff tear apart the party so that the independents all chase after John McCain of Mike Huckabee.

Last thing we need is the war to continue and our economy to go down the tubes.

January 14, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  2. darrell

TO: Sue in Raleigh

enjoyed your comment!

_______________________________________________________________

Was it a Fairy tale for Clinton Vote for a War with Iran.

Of course they are going to fund solders until they are brought home?

Iran is next, not because of Obama

Hillary Voted for war with Iran.

Obama will give diplomacy a chance then unilateral support will be there for him. Not there now, because of a war happy Hillary who voted for war twice.

Not once Twice

Obama

January 14, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  3. Gobama

AMAZING!

Talking about Dems AGAIN snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, AGAIN on account of the Clintons.

The selfish, self-centered and self-absorbed Clintons created and singled handedly destroyed their huge Presidential legacy.
    They defiled the White House and destroyed whatever marriage they had.

Since then US Presidency has been on the decline, and the Democratic Party has been snatching defeat after defeat from the jaws of victory.

Al Gore should have won easily; but he was humiliated by a bungling bush.

Kerry should have won easily; but he did not have the stomach to fight the Republicans, who will resort to any evil to gain and maintain power.

And now in 2008 when the country badly needs a new direction, the Republicans are likely to WIN AGAIN, and continue America/s slide into the abyss.
    For shame, the shameless Clintons!

January 14, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  4. MariaDR

Guys I am a strong Obama supporter, who won't vote for HRC under any circumstances.

Clinton lost me a long time ago when she voted for the war. I really only had Obama or Kucinich to choose from. Yeah he voted to fund the war, because we all know GWB wouldn't have cared and the perception that Democrats don't care about the troops. I understand his vote and agree with him. Though I was ALWAYS against the war. If I could see it, why couldn't Hillary? because as she has proven during the campaign, she'll resort to anything to win, including voting for a disastrous war, race baiting, lying about Obama's record cause she cannot defend her. etc. You get the point.

I HOPE Obama leaves the democratic party if the Clintons continue to be the figureheads of the Democratic party. He is a shining star. Back to the silver lining, for those of us who are now firmly in the ABH, think about the meeting with Obama/Bloomberg. it would be a great ticket especially for those who can't vote for a Republican..... have the option of voting anyways.

Screw them and those who follow them. We don't owe the democratic party anything. If anything, Clinton owes me for all the work I put in so he wouldn't be removed from office.

Guys we made a mistake. It would have been better for Gore to be a incumbent president and getting rid of the 2 Clinton leeches. No wonder Gore and Kerry have such disdain for them.

Again Clinton is distracting Obama because she has to continue to lie about the reasons she trusted GWB and went to war. Example: She lied on MTP yesterday about her reasons.

So let's calm down, screw the Clintons, they want to make us look like angry bitter black people who are crazy if we think the Clinton's are race bating. We are playing into their hands. Don't get mad ....get even.

Obama/Bloomberg 08

January 14, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  5. Jonathan

Hillary's use of playing the victim or the girl campaigning, just proves she's the wrong person for the job.

BOO HOO – She's on the receiving end of attacks. Hello its politics.

Her analogies are awful. She's just as polarizing as George Bush and could only further damage America if she became President.

Republicans don't like her.

Edwards or Obama make better sense in every instance.

January 14, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  6. carusofarm@tds.net

Hey Bill,

I have a list too – 80 reasons not to vote for Hillary Clinton. Unfortunately, you have been added as one of the reasons. The campaign you guys are running really sucks!

January 14, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  7. auntie

Can't we demand they talk about issues rather than this crap? Can't we demand that the press cover issues rather than this crap? And shouldn't we demand of ourselves that we know as much about their health care plans as we do about who said what to whom, when and were the tears sincere and ............

Call them all, write them all and tell them we are sick of this.

January 14, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  8. Concerned Mother

Senator Hillary Clinton’s stance on Race and Gender;

Senator Hillary Clinton on Mahatma Gandhi.

”Source – Washington Post, January 7, 2004, Page C-3 in the "Names and Faces" gossip column: Sen. Hillary Clinton apologized for a bizarre joke about how Mahatma Gandhi ran a gas station in St. Louis.Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton apologized yesterday for joking that Mahatma Gandhi "ran a gas station down in St. Louis." The New York Democrat made the remark Saturday at a fund-raiser in St. Louis for Senate candidate Nancy Farmer.The former first lady called her introduction "a lame attempt at humor" and insisted it was not based on any stereotype about certain ethnic groups.”

Senator Clinton is classic in injecting race and gender in politics. She has demonstrated time and again with her inappropriate remarks while campaigning for her fellow Senator in St. Louis, Missouri and now in the Presidential race.

It is interesting to watch Senator Clinton back peddling from her onslaught on Twentieth Century icons whether it is Mahatma Gandhi or Rev.Dr.Martin Luther King Jr.

I am a great admirer of Mahatma Gandhi, Rev.Dr.Martin Luther King Jr. and the contemporary hero and nobel peace laureate Nelson Mandela. These leaders set a historic precedent as champions of peace and non-violence. I am grateful that the children of the world can turn to history and understand the true meaning of unity, peace and racial harmony especially in the current climate of unrest and turmoil around the world.

Is Dalai Lama the next victim of her political spoof?

Concerned Mother

January 14, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  9. Allie

As a republican, I am so happy that this is what the Democratic party has to offer. And from reading the comments it seems that the Democrats are probably going to vote republican too. And why shouldn't you all? When your party gives you a woman to vote for?!?! Women can't run the country! This is the sort of godless arrogance that Americans HATE! The bible spells out in Timothy that a women's place is at home, she should not draw attention to herself, and she should respect men.

The republicans may have somehow allowed a mormon into the mix, but at least we don't have this hubris - to put a female into the running! I'm laughing so hard that even the Democrats are seeing the error of their godless ways! FINALLY.

January 14, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  10. calicotony

Lets get rid of the Clinton's and their style of slime ASAP.

January 14, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  11. stanz

Absolute proof the Clintons want to argue; Bill has come out with a list. Obama has nothing to gain from this turning negative. All of the sympathy votes are there for Hillary. Sixty Seven percent of the population is Caucasian and more than half the voters are women. Obama doesn't even have a clear advantage with the miniscule 12 percent of African American voters, because more than half are women!! Obama won in a Caucasian state, he doesn't need to fire up African Americans. The pundits said that would happen naturally after he proved support in Iowa. I'm a man who was raised by a single parent( my mother). My mother has shown more strength to me than any man. But if you vote for someone because they are a woman, than that is superficial and biased. Bias is Bias. You can be biased against someone or biased for someone. It's wrong either way!

January 14, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  12. Pedro

Is anybody still listening to this guy? It looks to me like he is freaking out that he might not get re-re-elected.

January 14, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  13. Rachel, CA

I cannot TAKE anymore of the crap that comes out of Bill Clinton's mouth. Before he started campaigning so hard for his wife, I at least had respect for him. Ever since his ranting speech in New Hampshire calling the Obama campaign a "fairy tale" – I have lost ALL respect. Come on Clintons, get out of the mud and start having discussions about THE ISSUES. Or are you afraid the American people won't agree with that either?
    I can't wait until this election is over.

January 14, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  14. TXMan

Emotionalism is rampant. Both Bill and Hillary have tried to be clear about their comments...and the media consistently repeats only parts of their statements....which helps fan the flames...which is, unfortunately, the apparent primary objective of the current media.

We have become like the British...we must always tear down anyone who appears to be on top.....

January 14, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  15. jack,NY

wow,
    Is this Bill Clinton third term after a break? Looks like Hillary can not do it for herself. That shows how Obama is strong in this campaign. Why don't they just let it go!

January 14, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  16. G, Margate, FL

I am a democrat but I a sick ot the fight between Clinton and Obama and they need to realize that they are turning people off, the election on my state will helf on 1/29/08 and I will not for neither one, I will vote for other issues concerning my state.

January 14, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  17. Susan

this is disgusting...

truly a disgrace to the democratic party

January 14, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  18. Rita Wakefield

I am soo angry at Senator Obahma. I thought of him as a young, inspirational speaker who with a little more experience would make a great presidential canidate. When I heard about the two stories concerning the Clinton's comments, I thought ...ok Senator Obahma will come out and tell everyone that he doesn't believe that they are racists. That their comments were not out of line. I can't believe that he jumped on the finger pointing bandwagon. His wife also joined in. What part of Hillary Clintón's comment was racist? Didn't LBJ push through the civil rights laws? Of course he did. Does that take away from Martin Luther KIng? of course it doesn't
    Doesn't Bill Clinton have a right to criticize Senator Obahma's vote on the war budget. Because he described Senator Obahma's time line description as a fairy tale ....how is that raicst. Senator Obahma should have been above all of that crap. He doesn't look presidential. He won't recieve my vote ever. He should be trying to bring people together not dividing people . I am ashamed for him and his wife.

January 14, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  19. Ken

I wonder what Bill will do when the mayor Bloomberg will run after feb 5th. Can not wait if they don't give Obama what he deserve.

January 14, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  20. Ed

This is why as a democrat if Hillary is the nominee I just won't vote for a president. I voted twice for Bill but realize now these two may be the most disingenous people on the planet. It seems to be that other than her brief term as a senator she is qualified to be either a lawyer or a first lady. She's had her cance at both. Barak Obama is the breath of fresh air we need after George W, Bill and Hil.

January 14, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  21. G, Margate, FL

I am a democrat but I am sick ot the fight between Clinton and Obama and they need to realize that they are turning people off, the election on my state will helf on 1/29/08 and I will not for neither one, I will vote for other issues concerning my state.

January 14, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  22. Lulie

Bill, you have sunken to an all time low... You have become that kid you says, " oh yeah, well what about you?" Grow up!!! Actually, no stay juvenile and continue to do what you are doing because it makes Barack Obama look all the better. He is for change and you and Hillary constantly remind one of "old politics as usual" You and Hillary are doing a great job in getting Senator Obama ready for the republicans. For this sir... I thank you...

January 14, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  23. Tom Dedham, Mass

CE, Wisconsin, USA January 14, 2008 2:46 pm ET

First came Sheehan's comments. They were followed by Mark Penn, Then Hillary made her comments about MLK/LBJ. They were followed by Cumo's remarks and finally Bob Johnson. This has all taken place in the last 4-6 weeks, has come from the Clinton team and is a heck of a coincidence.

Thank you CE for your list, it actually could be longer.......

All of these "comments" were similar in nature and they were thought out and they all were MEANT to send a message and along with the Hillary campaigns STATED goal to soften her image (and fake cry), they are meant to divide Democrats by race and by gender and it is working.

I as a Conservative should be happy that this is going on, but I am an AMERICAN first and this is shameful.

Look at the pattern of what they have been doing for a month or so, surrogates INCLUDING a former President go out and spread hateful rhetoric and if Obama has the gall to respond, THEN HILLARY is the spokesperson to say that he is being mean to wittle ol' me or he is mistating my words.

Have we not had enough of the daily explanations on what was meant by the Clinton's words and actions?

How many of their people had to resign or apologize?

It is as simple as ABC.

January 14, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  24. darrell

Hillary said JFK was hopefull of passing the civil rights act.

Early this month, she said people can't depend on hope, but hard work.

People are hard at work, For Lesss.

Obama has a vision that's built on the hopes of all america, wanting change.

Bill in 1992, said "the same old experience is not relevant"

Hillary Voted for Two wars– iran and iraq – Same old experience

Not relevant – no lessons, no learning took place, Same results

Want Change – Obama 2008

January 14, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  25. AE, Los Angeles, CA

I keep waiting to see just ONE news item that has Obama or anyone on his staff respond to all this Clinton spin. I have looked everywhere and have not seen once the so-called "race card" being pulled by he, his staff, or anyone actually connected to the campaign. Am I just missing something? Or are the Clinton's trying to blame this all on him by just talking about it vociferously?

January 14, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |