January 14th, 2008

Bill Clinton compiles 'list' of Obama attacks

Bill Clinton appeared on Roland Martin's show Monday.
Bill Clinton appeared on Roland Martin's show Monday.

(CNN) - Sen. Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign came out swinging Monday against the latest complaints from her rival, with former President Clinton announcing he has "a list of 80 attacks on Hillary" by Senator Barack Obama's campaign.

In a nationally syndicated radio interview on WVON, Bill Clinton said Hillary Clinton's way of handling attacks showed a clear difference from Obama. "She didn't complain about it," he said, citing one in particular that he considered "appalling."

"She just said 'I disagree,' and went on."

Clinton's remarks on the Roland S. Martin Show - which has a largely African-American audience - came amid a flare-up over remarks by Black Entertainment Television founder Bob Johnson, who appeared with Hillary Clinton on Sunday at a church in South Carolina, site of an upcoming primary.

Many believe Johnson made a veiled reference to Obama's drug use as a young man, though he insists that was not his intention.

"I think we have to take it at his word," the former president told Martin, adding that "nobody knew" what Johnson would say, and "it wasn't part of any planned strategy."

Johnson was rejecting the controversy over a recent remarks by Hillary Clinton, who noted that it "took a president" to make the Voting Rights Act a law after Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. had led the struggle for it. Some interpreted that remark as dismissive of the civil rights movement. Obama on Sunday called the remark "ill-advised."

Full story

– CNN's Josh Levs

1. fridge

I am so amazed that people actually trust Bill Clinton.
    When will America wake up to value substance over form?

January 14, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  2. bruce

Barack prides himself on coming from the "rough and tumble of Chicago politic." Hillary and Barack are rivals for the highest office in the land. They are both fighting tooth and nail. Neither is a saint. Neither is without fault. Neither can claim the high road. The Clintons are not racists, and Sen Obama is not a drug ravaged gangbanger. Their positions are very close. I'm going with the experience. Obama in 2016!

January 14, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  3. Philip, Richmond, England

It's incredible just how badly seasoned politicians can misjudge the peoples feeling on issues. They're only managing to ostracize the very people that they are trying to entreat with their "he said she said." I've really supported the Clintons from the word go and was a big fan of Bill as President but I'm not so sure anymore.

January 14, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  4. Harry, NY NY

Bill Clinton needs to retire gracefully. I can't recall a former president injecting himself into an election as much as former President Clinton. You would think he is running for re-election.

Who is running here?

January 14, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  5. Cathy

Great another generation of interns for Billy to harrass!!! Stop him NOW..Vote Obama

January 14, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  6. rik bloom

Bill is losing his stature as an ex-president. The Clintons are just parsing words in the attempt to make distinctions between HC and Obama. The differences are largely in who they are as people, leadership skills, vision, etc.–as well as policies on which they largely agree.

January 14, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  7. Drama

I'm still waiting on Billary to produce that list!

January 14, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  8. G, Margate, FL

If Clinton wins, I think Obama should ask Ron Paul to be his running mate on a third party ticket.

Obama/Paul 08

January 14, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  9. Spin City

This is what I don't like about the Clintons. Everything is everyone else's fault. They are the kings of spin. How is this anybody fault but Hillary's? She made a comment, the media jumped on it and people, including her chief rivals started reacting. Suddenly she's a victim and Obama is playing the race card.

Do you think Hillary would have refrained from commenting on something controversial that Obama or Edwards said. Please.

Meanwhile, the Clintons roll out an African American leader to discredit Obama and do the most offensive spin job after he brings up Obama's self-reported teen experimentation with drugs.

This is where her massive "experience" really comes into play. Nobody is better at this election game than Hillary and Bill. Spin… Spin… Spin.

If this turns into another "It's My Turn" election between Hillary and John McCain, count me out.

January 14, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  10. Peter

I wish we have another woman to be the first President of United states other than Hillary. I could certainly paid more attention to her.
    Go Obama!

January 14, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  11. Steve

Why is Bill having all of these press conferences? Who is running for President again? I thought it was his wife?

January 14, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  12. Christy

HEY WHERE WERE ALL OF YOU WHEN OBAMA WAS BEING LOVED MY THE MEDIA AND HILLARY WAS THE LOSING CANDIDATE? BILL CLINTON AND HILLARY CLINTON HAS SAID NOTHING AT ALL IN REFERENCE TO OBAMA BEING LESS OF A PERSON AND OR HURTING BLACK OR AFRICAN AMERICANS! LISTEN TO THIS GUY ON CNN SAYING THAT HILLARY CLINTON WOULD HAVE VOTED FOR SOME OTHER PRESIDENT THEN MINORITIES WOULD NOT HAVE RIGHTS! WHAT! THE CLINTONS WILL COME AT YOU WITH THE FACTS AND SO BRING IT ON OBAMA! HE MADE THE COMMENT THAT IS WAS ILL ADVISED FOR HER TO SAY WHAT SHE SAID AND ALL SHE SAID WAS WHAT SHE MENT. WHAT DOES THE FAIRY TALE HAVE TO DO WITH RACE! IT'S THE AFRICAN AMERICAN ANCHORS AND REPORTERS THAT ARE TRYING TO MAKE THIS A BLACK ISSUE NOT HILLARY OR CLINTON,BUT IF YOU WANT A LIST HERES THE LIST SAINT OBAMA! HILLARY CLINTON FOR PRESIDENT 2008!

January 14, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  13. Jack

Vast right wing conspiracy here.. ;). Go McCain

January 14, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  14. Dave

Do I believe what I'm reading? I see several comments from people saying they won't vote for Hillary if she wins (the nomination) because of how nasty the race has become. Are you serious? You'd help deliver this country to at least four more years of Republican control because you don't like the mudslinging between her and Obama? Get a grip and look at the bigger picture. There's too much at stake.

January 14, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  15. Garett

Way to go Bill! Obama has been given a free ride by the press and the majority of the talking heads for too long now. This election will decide the leader of the free world and nothing should be off limits. The former president is engaging in a legitimate campaign tactic and Mr. Obama had better toughen up; The mud that the Clintons are slinging is nothing compared to what would come his way in the event he wins the nomination and goes up against the GOP's political machine

January 14, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  16. Gypsy Jones

Well the only people I have heard talking about race is Bill and Hilary Clinton, I didn't hear Barrack Obama talking about race, and now the Clintons are complaining that the things THEY said from their own mouths, that they've been so BUSY trying explain, are the fault of Obama? I don't get it? It is like someone passing gas and then pointing at someone else and complaining about the smell.

January 14, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  17. jimmy

These folks think their old 90's tatics still works. The young voters are so much informed. I hope this backfire on them!

January 14, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  18. Gracious & Logical

1) Many of you will support the Clintons regardless of all circumstances etc. …I get it.

2) Some of you are bigots and will never support a black person …I get that as well.

As it is evident that some cannot be fair or logical, how about embracing honesty?

1) Is it logical to suggest that diminishment of MLK and the civil rights movement is Hilary “defending herself”?

2) Is it logical to characterize Bill’s distortions of Sen Obama’s positions as “standing up for his wife”?

3) Why is it that two supposedly smart people cannot adequately articulate their views such that they are constantly being misrepresented by commonsensical, unbiased people?

For those who insist on emphasizing that Obama’s past drug use is fair game, you are certainly CORRECT; however that is not the source of concern or objection here… please read the commentary and properly process the nature of it before you post.

DG

January 14, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  19. Teri Leighton

Did anyone take the same history class in high school as I – where we learned that Presidents have what are known as 'presidential aides' who advise them on policy for twhich they are not experts? When Hillary Rodham Clinton says that she has more experience than Barack Obama, what exactly is she referring to? I don't recall her ever being president once, although fomer President Bill Clinton siamese twin like enodrsesement of his wife is yet another application of spin on the American public into believing that Bill and Hillary are ONE AND THE SAME. Perhaps my fellow Americans could pause for the thought of Bill Clinton serving an unofficial or technical 3rd term in office? If his advisors' decision to carpet bomb the former state of Yugoslavia is anything to go by and the current president's dismissal of any dipomatic logic is to be the benchmark, then rested is my conscious in a personal decision to switch from Clinton to Obama.as i fear with the former the Nation would only face a continuance of a dictatorship style of presidency, now commonly associated with the term 'democracy'. With Obama, one feels that he remembers democracy means government BY the people, FOR the people. Let's not get sidetracked by political bullying tactics with delusional claims of being more presidential than anyone else. What the Nation needs is a fresh approach, a fresh insight to our America – not a revisitation of a soured career.

January 14, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  20. zagyzebra

I think this just points to the fact that there is really only one true candidate that is worth winning the dem nomination: EDWARDS! Unfortunately, he doesn't garner the headlines because he's not doing the mud-slinging. We all need to get past the media and look at the obvious.

January 14, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  21. Mike

For someone to say that they are not complaining about attacks on his wife, then why are you talking about? No she doesn’t complain she just cries about it. Give us all a break Bill and just go home. We are sick and tired of all you’re bickering when things don’t go your way. All this for a woman who couldn’t unite a peanut butter and jelly sandwich

January 14, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  22. Eric, Chicago

I'm disgusted that people think the fact that Barack's middle name is Hussein is enough of a reason not to vote for him.

Well guess what... Hillary's name is Hillary. In grade school I asked a girl named Hillary out and she laughed at me and turned me down. I'm not voting for Hillary Clinton because of that. See how ridiculous that sounds? Not voting for someone because of what they are named... shame on you.

January 14, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  23. GeorgiaMom

I have noticed a lot of people saying that Obama was comparing himself to JFK and MLK, Jr because he mentioned their historic speeches. From my reading he was just pointing that if they had no hope then the extraordianary things that they accomplished would not have happened. I that means that this back and forth between the campaigns in pointless and not productive at all. It is being blown out of proportion by the media. I have decided that I am going to ignore the media and do my candidate research on my own. This is just ridiculous. We as the people should not allow them to treat us this way.

January 14, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  24. AFSOCSARGE

The Clintons should truly be ashamed for keeping this going. Obama has been against the War from the start Period !! Why after all the Debates Hillary Never Questioned or Challenged Obama ? Now last week Bill brings it up and steps in it by not fully quoting Obama, then Hillary Belittles MLK's roll in the Civil Rights Movement, then Low and Behold it is All Obama's Fault for Everyting !! They send BET's Robert Johnson out, he Spouts Obama's Drug use, well I remember 'I Smoked It, But Did Not Inhale" Bill has no Room For This Mud Slinging!
    This is truly Horrid and I will not Support her any Longer !!

I'm on for Obama Now !!!!

-AFSOC Sarge

January 14, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  25. Jack

Strange. I used to get my political info from Huffington Post - esp. during 2004 election season. But now I see you all have picked your Democratic candidate, and if it's not the one I like, tough! Why not have a real debate about it? Otherwise, you're no different than Fox.

So I'll be a lone voice on your site:

Hillary Clinton has the experience to deal with people and make progress. Obama needs more experience. Clinton/Obama for 2008, Obama/? for 2016.

Stop bashing her...otherwise we'll end up with McCain.

January 14, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |