January 14th, 2008

Bill Clinton compiles 'list' of Obama attacks

Bill Clinton appeared on Roland Martin's show Monday.
Bill Clinton appeared on Roland Martin's show Monday.

(CNN) - Sen. Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign came out swinging Monday against the latest complaints from her rival, with former President Clinton announcing he has "a list of 80 attacks on Hillary" by Senator Barack Obama's campaign.

In a nationally syndicated radio interview on WVON, Bill Clinton said Hillary Clinton's way of handling attacks showed a clear difference from Obama. "She didn't complain about it," he said, citing one in particular that he considered "appalling."

"She just said 'I disagree,' and went on."

Clinton's remarks on the Roland S. Martin Show - which has a largely African-American audience - came amid a flare-up over remarks by Black Entertainment Television founder Bob Johnson, who appeared with Hillary Clinton on Sunday at a church in South Carolina, site of an upcoming primary.

Many believe Johnson made a veiled reference to Obama's drug use as a young man, though he insists that was not his intention.

"I think we have to take it at his word," the former president told Martin, adding that "nobody knew" what Johnson would say, and "it wasn't part of any planned strategy."

Johnson was rejecting the controversy over a recent remarks by Hillary Clinton, who noted that it "took a president" to make the Voting Rights Act a law after Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. had led the struggle for it. Some interpreted that remark as dismissive of the civil rights movement. Obama on Sunday called the remark "ill-advised."

Full story

– CNN's Josh Levs

1. dee

the reason Hillary's voice broke is because she can't believe her and Bill's big plans ,hopefully ,is falling apart. The bubble is going to burst I hope!!!!

January 14, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  2. Towers

To the Clintons:

I defended you when extreme right wing radicals attacked you when you were president. But now your style and rhetoric is showing the Clintons I didi not see in the past. I can no longer support your politics.

January 14, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  3. Shirley

American people are so stupid. This country does not want a woman or a black man in the presidency. If the Democrats have any chance of winning this election it will be Hillary Clinton. I have always voted for a Democrat for the presidency but will not vote for Obama, not because he is black but because he has no experience and that is why the country is in such a mess. Bush had no real experience. I will guarantee you that if Obama is the candidate there will be many democrats such as I voting the republican ticket. What the hell is wrong with the Democratic party – are they destined for annihilation. Get behind Hlllary – she will do more for this country than any other candidate, regardless of any party. The republican party knows that whomever they select can beat Obama. I wonder where all Obama's money is coming from, wealthy republicans who want him to be the democratic candidate. Wake up, Democrats! Wake up Americans! Can you imagine what will happen if Obama gets the presidency? all the crazies will uprise and this country will be no better off than Iraq. God help us.

January 14, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  4. The G; Henderson NV

The Clinton fanatics on here keep saying it "not fair" because everybody keeps bringing up their dirty laundry; ergo it is totally acceptable to throw mud at Obama. The problem for them is that there's just not that much garbage to dig up – with the exception of his admitted drug use, the guy's about as close to the perfect candidate as is humanly possible in modern politics. The irony of the whole deal is that their pathetic attacks hurt her because they are so obviously superficial and blatantly low. The news media subsequently remarks about the embarrassing sliminess of such attacks, and then the Clintons are "outraged" that he is being given a free pass.

You know you're running out of ideas when you have to look through somebody's kindergarden records, use the word "cocaine" repeatedly in interviews, call somebody a "fairytale," and postulate that he may have "sold drugs."

January 14, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  5. Dave

We can easily silence both the Clinton and Obama camps simply by voting for John Edwards!

January 14, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  6. darrell

Bill, Your own words of 1992, are hunting you

For more of the same, or a Change, as defined by Bill in 1992

Hillary said JFK was hopefull of passing the civil rights act.

Early this month, she said people can't depend on hope, but hard work.

People are hard at work, For Lesss.

Obama has a vision that's built on the hopes of all america, wanting change.

Bill in 1992, said "the same old experience is not relevant"
    Bill did not bring, his supporting cast brought change, His Administration of Thinker.

Hillary Voted for Two wars– iran and iraq – Same old experience

Not relevant – no lessons, no learning took place, Same results

Want Change – You want Obama 2008, His administration shall bring change surrounding his and Americas people hope of a brighter day.

Of course you can have a divider and Hillary's complaints of 16 years of GOP attacks.

We need someone who is focused on the "NOW"

Same old experience .... No Way.

January 14, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  7. Peggy

And, it is a change from just such shenanigans as this from the Clintons that is making us embrace Obama. Really, it is soooo smarmy. And, don't forget–if he could have behaved a bit better in office we probably would have been spared these long, ugly past 8 years!

January 14, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  8. AFSOCSARGE

Jim Kouri wrote this:

"I've Always Been a Yankees Fan, telling whoppers"

Hillary Clinton Researcher Uncovers Tall Tales

Hillary Clinton’s claim that she wanted to be an Olympic athlete and NASA astronaut was part of an effort to humanize the New York Senator, says the editor of a controversial new quote book. What other tall tales has Hillary told?

Olympic athlete. Astronaut. Doctor. Scientist. All dream careers for the young Hillary Rodham, or so she claims…dreams squashed because NASA “[didn’t] take girls.” While all children go through phases of wanting to do something exciting and glamorous, these reminisces sound unbelievable coming from Hillary Clinton.

This according to Thomas Kuiper, editor of the new Hillary Clinton quote book “I’ve Always Been a Yankees Fan: Hillary Clinton in Her Own Words”

The Associate Press published remarks by New York’s junior senator at a symposium on Title IX, the federal law prohibiting gender discrimination in certain educational programs. “I wanted desperately to be an Olympic athlete,” she is quoted as saying. “...[But] I couldn’t jump, I couldn’t run, I couldn’t swim… So I wrote to NASA and said, ‘How do I sign up to be an astronaut?’ And they wrote back very politely and said, ‘We don’t take girls.’”

While NASA did not have female astronauts when Hillary was a kid, Wall Street Journal columnist James Taranto has pointed out that Sally Ride was only 3-1/2 years younger than Hillary when she became the first U.S. woman in space—a revelation which calls into question the validity of this latest public claim by the former first lady.

“This tall tale by Hillary was calculated not just to make voters feel warm and fuzzy about the senator, but to make specific points about her compassion and goodness,” claims Kuiper, whose quote book features over 500 provocative quotes carefully collected from 63 books and over 100 articles and news reports.

“As the many fully attributed quotes in ‘I’ve Always Been A Yankees Fan’ demonstrate, she is constantly trying to manipulate her image through the press. Here, she’s trying to show that she’s ‘one of the girls,’ although nothing could be farther from the truth.

“Hillary Clinton has a long history of telling whoppers,” asserts Kuiper. “As I document in my book, she led people to believe that Chelsea was near the World Trade Center on 9/11, a claim which Chelsea herself disputed.”

On one occasion, she implied that she was named after Sir Edmund Hillary, but he climbed Mount Everest years after she was born. “She also said that she and Bill wanted another child, a maternal desire quickly forgotten after election time! Hillary is not just about pandering, but about rewriting history and her place in it.”

“There is not an ounce of authenticity to her public pronouncements,” adds Kuiper. “Hillary is attempting to rewrite the past, but the truth is out there. My book uses dozens upon dozens of independent sources to paint a picture of the real Hillary—a person who is often profane and always ambitious beyond justification.

“It’s no wonder that Hillary’s spokesman tried to change the topic when the New York Times asked him about ‘I’ve Always Been a Yankees Fan,’” Kuiper quipped.

I'm "Really" for Obama Now !!!!

-AFSOC Sarge

January 14, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  9. karrol

Isn't this the same old stuff that we are refusing. It will take American people like Iowa and NH to say, hell no on feb 5th!

January 14, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  10. Judith Rich

This is totally disgusting! No wonder so many people are turned off by politicians. Barack has my vote, no matter what the Clinton slime machine throws at him and I'm a 60+ year old woman with very strong feminist credentials. Hillary and Bill make me cringe. Are they so desperate to hold on to power? Time to pass the torch to a new generation..... Barack is the face of the future. Hillary is too divisive. I'd rather drink poison than endure 8 years of her screeching, fear-mongering, pandering, Republican Lite form of "leadership".

January 14, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  11. John Edwards

John Edwards 2008 is the best candidate and most viable option for the general election!

January 14, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  12. therealist

Ahhhhh...., the aroma of another Clinton administration is in the air..

January 14, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  13. Naive

I don't get it. Johnson supports Hillary and states his reasons. Does Obama address Johnson directly through the press. No, he attacks Hillary. Now I wonder why Obama won't make comments about Johnson in the press. But they tell me race isn't an issue. Oh, Obama

January 14, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  14. joze46

Barrack Obama’s book called “Audacity of Hope” in the third chapter titled the "The Constitution' is revealing. Of course it has the standard text book commentaries on the wonders of Democracy, the elements of the Constitution, and it’s founders, are tied up here, too loose and not as positive or siding with an open mind. Many of his characterization of the theme in organized constructive government is depressing, negative and leaves out the high value of sharing our founding fathers had is considered hypocrisy, and likely tied to what even he commits to imply, America is not ready for a black president.

Obama, highlights the genius of the Constitution, and specifically the thirtieth, fourteenth, and fiftieth amendments passed as a Union finally perfected. A very amazing statement that does not support harmony and unity Obama makes claim in his “Audacity of Hope” in the beginning Prologue.

In the third chapter page 97 last paragraph he starts with inspiration and ends with doubt, he says,

“How can I, an American with the blood of Africa coursing through my veins, choose sides in such a dispute? I can’t, I love America too much, am too invested in what this country has become, too committed to its institutions, its beauty, and even its ugliness, to focus entirely on the circumstances of its birth. But neither can I brush aside the magnitude of the injustice done, or erase the ghosts of generations past, or ignore the open wound, the aching spirit, that ails this country still”.

Very well said to cast away the founding circumstance of freedom and liberty from tyranny, casting away the birth of Americas Constitution? An incredible thing to say all while giving love and praise for beauty and ugliness. The biggest uncertainty is the very last statement suggested by Obama. But what are the Ghosts of past generations, or the open wounds, what is that acing spirit that ails the country. And, please, Senator Obama, if you don’t know what they are how do you expect to unite and change the country or the world ?

For in the beginning of Obama’s Prologue He said: “ That’s the topic of this book: how we might begin the process of changing our politics and our civic life. This isn’t to say that I know exactly how to do it. I don’t. Although I discuss in each chapter a number of our most pressing policy challenges, and suggest in broad strokes the path I believe we should follow, my treatment of the issues is often partial and incomplete. I offer no unifying theory of American government, nor do these pages provide a manifesto for action, complete with chats and graphs, timetables, and ten-point plans”.

From the Prologue to the third chapter is a monumental contradiction of ideals and personal thoughts Obama presents. A grand surprise for someone that taught the Constitution at the University of Chicago for ten years. A very sad surprise. Obama admits in the very start He doesn’t know how he would do anything. But clearly in his campaign speeches offers change you can believe in. Very extraordinary.

January 14, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  15. Elyse

Please stop this "eating our own" crap. This is insulting and foolish.

January 14, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  16. AC

There are people voting in this election who have had a Clinton or Bush in the White House THEIR ENTIRE LIVES!. That a run that would make Castro jealous.
    Enough with the dynasties already!
    It's time for a different name on the White House mailbox.

January 14, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  17. RealityKing

Funny how the so-called tolerant are the very ones expressing the most bigoty...

January 14, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  18. Shirley

Bill Clinton has done more tor this country than any other president since Roosevelt. He made this country come alive and economically secure. Why should not his wife do the same. She is as competent as he. They make a good team and are devoted to this country. Why are Americans so ungrateful that they want a novice to be president?

What Bill did in his private life was no one's business but the repulicans wanted to impeach him for making a private error. But Bush has caused thousands of US soldiers and Iraquis (soldiers and civilians) deaths and no one has enough guts to impeach him for war crimes. Where is our Congress? Are you so afraid of the president? If you do not step up to your obligations to the people you represent you will not make the next election. Some Americans are on to you.

January 14, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  19. findingavoice

Some of us are getting a little weary of the lectures being delivered by Bill Clinton. I know I am and I voted for him twice.
    Give it a rest, Mr. President, please.

January 14, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  20. sue

enough! I was torn between Hillary and Obama, no more....the Clintons are doing themselves in. Exactly the reason we need a change of direction

January 14, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  21. Gary

I hope that the people in New York, is see the person that they have elected into office, it's such a sad shame that Hillary wants to be in the whire house so bad,
    I'm so glad that i have move from new york and it's mess. I bet the black folks with that they can take there vote back (to late for that now). she is such a mess, I hope the whole country is atking a real good look at her.

January 14, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  22. DrToketee

I really don't have to work to make an argument anymore. It's now all out there for everyone to gasp at and see. Anyone who cannot understand by now what a Hillary Presidency would be like in terms of character and honesty is a total idiot. And I do wonder how many of those female NH Hillary-voters now feel like idiots, too.

January 14, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  23. Jamie

Did anyone ever think that these attacks on Hillary are sexist? We are so oppressed we don't even stand up for her when two men attack her at once during a debate. We deserve what we get. I don't know if anyone else noticed, but when Hillary started fighting back she won New Hampshire.

January 14, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  24. darrell

Rita Wakefield

______________________________________________________________

It was the Clintons Own choice of Words. Obama did not respond, Congress Clyburn was one of the first to respond.

They need to move on

On experience, Bills Clinton said in 1992, "the same old experience is irelevant"

Obama 08

Rita do not give up hope. Race is a mere distration, from the real issue of

Hillary Voting twice for War With Iraq and now Iran, That the Why we need answered. No diplomacy – Same Bush policy, just different individual.

no lessons learned in her legacy of experience

Again Obama 08

January 14, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  25. Josh

Great. Apparently, Democrats don't want to win the White House again.

I think I'll stay registered as an independent, thank you.

However, I will still vote for Senator Obama.

January 14, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |