January 14th, 2008

Bill Clinton compiles 'list' of Obama attacks

Bill Clinton appeared on Roland Martin's show Monday.
Bill Clinton appeared on Roland Martin's show Monday.

(CNN) - Sen. Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign came out swinging Monday against the latest complaints from her rival, with former President Clinton announcing he has "a list of 80 attacks on Hillary" by Senator Barack Obama's campaign.

In a nationally syndicated radio interview on WVON, Bill Clinton said Hillary Clinton's way of handling attacks showed a clear difference from Obama. "She didn't complain about it," he said, citing one in particular that he considered "appalling."

"She just said 'I disagree,' and went on."

Clinton's remarks on the Roland S. Martin Show - which has a largely African-American audience - came amid a flare-up over remarks by Black Entertainment Television founder Bob Johnson, who appeared with Hillary Clinton on Sunday at a church in South Carolina, site of an upcoming primary.

Many believe Johnson made a veiled reference to Obama's drug use as a young man, though he insists that was not his intention.

"I think we have to take it at his word," the former president told Martin, adding that "nobody knew" what Johnson would say, and "it wasn't part of any planned strategy."

Johnson was rejecting the controversy over a recent remarks by Hillary Clinton, who noted that it "took a president" to make the Voting Rights Act a law after Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. had led the struggle for it. Some interpreted that remark as dismissive of the civil rights movement. Obama on Sunday called the remark "ill-advised."

Full story

– CNN's Josh Levs

1. Tim, Seattle

I like Bill, but now this is just getting nasty and I am losing any shred of respect I had for Bill or Hillary. They are just the status quo now. NOw they are hurting the Dem party and I am really questionuinmg whose campaign this really is.
    I am now officially for Obama. Hillary has just lost my vote.

If Obama does not win the nomination, I may be forced to not vote this time around. Sorry, I dont want to lose 50/49% again.
    Its really gonna suck big time to be all giddy about Hillary getting the nomination only to get beat in the general election. So enjoy your Hillary nomineee, thats as close to the White House she is going to get.
    I know, the truth hurts, eh?

January 14, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  2. Anonymous

OBAMA '08! He's positive, optimistic, and respectful. He's exactly what we need so we can change our destructive politics TODAY!

January 14, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  3. Victoria

Let get off the race and gender cards and back to real issues. Hillary put out her plan for the economy three or four days ago and Obama put his out yesterday. Obama talks about change, change, change. People have asked how is going to get results? Well now we see how He takes Hillary plan and changes the numbers.

January 14, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  4. Andrew Greensboro, NC

Can't we just see an honest race between the candidates? Keep the spouses out and the mud slinging at home. Geez. I'm going to stop paying attention to all of this back and forth. We'll see who the country wants eventually.

January 14, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  5. Karl

It's funny to read all of these comments slamming Hillary Clinton, talk of mud slinging and a vile campaign... gimme a break. What has she said that is so demeaning? And who can say that her emotional episode was not real? Crying? I never saw a tear, a flutter in her voice was all.
    We all know Obama has been elevated by the press, he is portrayed as something that he is not. In fact, he is a dreamer and an idealist. His agenda seems unclear and I have never heard him speak of any means to actually accomplish his goals. His lack of experience would make it very difficult to accomplish anything in a single term. We all like the man, his character and charism are self evident, but at this time in his life, he is not qualified to be POTUS.
    The media is reponsible for any Obama/Clinton conflict. The media is driving a wedge into the Democratic Party. The final result will be not just 4 years of McCain, but 8 years. The Democratic Party needs to hold itself together to prevent this. If we divide over these petty issues, we will send this country into an 8 year spiral of no return. After that time it won't matter who you vote for, the die will have been cast.

January 14, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  6. Gene

I think the Democrats are doomed. There is so much bias for one candidate or the other in the comments above. It is fine to take your side and spout your position. But neither side is better than the other in this arugement. The negative comments by the Clinton Campaign are easy to find. Obama's are a little tougher but they are there (listen to some of Jesse Jackson, Jr.'s comments about Katrina). The supporters of both camps are going to make this a difficult battle to repair if it does not stop. The candidates will eventually kiss and make up...will their supporters?

Unfortunately this is typical politics. It is ugly. I guess it proves that talking about change really is naive. The candidates are not really ready to change. And those who follow politics closely don't seem all that ready either...like the media, pundints and the political advocates. Of course, what do you expect...politics has become an adverserial business (do you really expect or want the Democratic winner to to play ball with the conservative right wing).

Regardless, at this rate we will have a Rebuplican in the White House. 100 more years of Iraq. Another war likely in Iran. Roe v. Wade overturned. Tax cuts for the upper class...labeled as a stimulus package. What other right wing agenda item do you want passed?

Yep, keep it up folks and you can hand this race right to the Republicans. John McCain will talk like he is in the center. But listen to him in the debates. He is a conservative when it comes to policy. And he will likely be beholden to the folks on the right. If this bickering leads folks to McCain we will get at least four more years of the last seven we just had.

January 14, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  7. Clinton Daycare

Maybe Bill needs some cheese to go along with that whine.
    America needs leadership not cry babies so please do us all a favor Bill and go crawl back to where ever it is you go because this is getting ridiculous.

January 14, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  8. Mary, Las Vegas

The supporters of Obama should be humilated by the strong arm tactics the Culinary Union in Las Vegas have taken with their own members to make sure they Do Not support Hillary Clinton.
    It's the Obama camapign that has sunk to new un heard of low.

January 14, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  9. meg

"I want to campaign the same way I govern, which is to respond directly and forcefully with the truth"
    Barack Obama, 11/08/07

FACTCHECK: Obama and Clinton Have Clearly Different Records on Iraq Since He Has Been In the Senate ( Link )
    FACTCHECK: Clinton Blames Obama Campaign for her Remarks, but Her Critics Have Been Her Backers and Independent Observers ( Link )
    FACT CHECK: Outside Observers: Clinton Truncating Of Obama's Quotes on The Iraq War Are Misleading ( Link )
    FACT CHECK on Clinton's False Attacks on Obama's Ethics Reform ( Link )
    FACT CHECK: Obama's Consistent Opposition To The War In Iraq ( Link )
    FACT CHECK: Obama's Strong Pro-Choice Record ( Link )
    FACT CHECK: Obama's Strong Record on the Energy Bill ( Link )

Print it! Learn it by heart! And combat smear!
    Sick of swiftboat politics?
    Join Barack's Truth Squad!

January 14, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  10. Sean, Detroit, MI

GeorgiaMom – you are 100% correct. If only everyone would be as perceptive and look at what is ACTUALLY going on here

January 14, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  11. Chapurukha Kusimba

Who is running for President. Hillary or Bill. That is what we need to know.

January 14, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  12. Elore

It seems clear to me that Obama is using the race card to advance his campaign at any cost. This tactic is shameful and hurtful for a nation that still has very serious issues concerning race.

Can anyone explain the nature of the change that Obama is proposing . It seems to me that there is no substance there at all.

January 14, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  13. michael

Bill, your ambition is showing.

January 14, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  14. GOPer4Obama

As scores of people have already noted above, this all smells of the same old politics. The Clintons have got to go...

January 14, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  15. suzanne

I am a feminist ,and activist, about Hillary's age and put in long struggles "on the ground' while Hillary got to go to Wellsley and Yale. Apparently I learned what she did NOT...which is ...strong independent women do NOT need a man to speak for them, or come in to "rescue" them when the going gets tough. That is not what we fought for, nor is that equality or feminism. I also learned
    that subtle forms of racism, such as we are clearly seeing in this campaign, have no place in the behavior of feminists committed to equal opportunity for all. I don't understand all the anti-Obama rants in this blog...he has NOT been answering back to all the real or perceived racist comments of the past days and in fact, made one very generous and presidential statement about it yesterday. As to his economic package, the economist, Robert Reich, who was in the Clinton cabinet has gone on record as saying that it is the best package out there, of all the candidates. I think everyone needs to take a deep breath and deal with facts, not blog or Fox news nonsense. And, the media, needs to start dealing with facts, not misguided opinions. We saw how inaccurate their poll coverage was. And, lastly, let us not forget, that Bill Clinton has always had difficulty with the truth ( "I never had...... with that woman" "it depends what is, is" etc. ) so his weak questionnable comments about his friend (and travelling buddy )from yesterday, Mr. Johnson, are of grave concern as to his credibility and what he is contributing to destroying the democratic party chances of election. I had hoped to see the first woman president of the country, in my lifetime. Someone strong and committed like Ms.Thatcher, or Golda Meir. They stood strongly and courageously on their own merits...unlike Senator Clinton. I am encouraging all my feminist middle aged friends to not support her, and I certainly can not, after this past week.

January 14, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  16. Mannie

Is this guy a former president or an attack pitt-bull? He is shameless. Can someone imagine Jimmy Carter or Bush Sr doing this? This family will stop at nothing to have power. What next Chelsea? Someone please give me four more years of George W Bush than this non-sense of Billary.

January 14, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  17. The Truth

You the sad part about all of this is that SO many people will believe this stuff that Bill and Hilary is putting out.

January 14, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  18. sgt. lebow

Let me see if I get this straight. Attacking Obama is off limits. Pointing out that Obama has attacked Hillary is off limits. Mentioning Obama unless it's to praise his oratory skills or otherwise fawn over him is strickly prohibited. Do Obama's many supporters want to win an election or create a new deity? They have a better chance of achieving the latter.

January 14, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  19. Jay Graham, Dallas, TX

Here is the story appeared in Newsmax:

"Did Obama Camp Use Rap to Call Hillary B-tch?

Monday, January 14, 2008 11:09 AM

Was it happenstance – or a deliberate attempt by a Barack Obama staffer to take a swipe at rival Hillary Clinton?

As Obama and his wife Michelle walked triumphantly into his victory party following his surprising win over Hillary in the Iowa caucuses, the sound system blared rapper Jay-Z’s song “99 Problems,” the Huffington Post reported.

The song contains the lyrics: “I got 99 problems, but a b-tch ain’t one.”

Why is Obama campaign and the major news media are quiet about this? They are are certainly biased and want to publish anything negative about Hillary. But, ignore what garbage that comes out of Obama Camp.

January 14, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  20. Tracy

You people are ridiculous.
    Obama wasn't a US Senator at the time of the vote, but just because he says he was against the war, you believe it.
    Obama voted to fund the War....so much for "his promises".

Jeez...shallow people for a shallow candidate.

January 14, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  21. Michi

Oh those Clintons are masters at dirty politics. Now they have succeeded in roiling blacks voters to fight amongst themselves. Nice legacy there. After this fight is done and if Hillary wins the nomination this registered Democrat is voting Republican. Hillary is already a polarizing figure and if she becomes President will be just as polarizing as her husband was and Bush is. We don't need more of the same.

January 14, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  22. Cari

I'm starting to understand why the republicans hated the Clintons.

Listen to this Bill: "I will not vote for that woman..."

January 14, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  23. AFSOCSARGE

"not because he is black but because he has no experience"

So Hillary's 4 more years in the Senate is worth how much more ? I've spent 25 years in the USAF so does that make my Wife or Mother "Experienced" in USAF Operations? I will totally say not, just because she was married to a Politician that does not make her one Period ! She only has been an "Elected" Official since the year 2000, Obama since 2004. So give that 'Experience' a rest because it is not valid.

Oh and if you have not read both Obama and Clinton both beat "Any" GOP candidate by double digits, so that would "Trump" Electable especially when Obama won In the "Whitest" State South of the North Pole !! He Won Iowa with a 95% White Population.

I'm "Really" for Obama Now !!!!

-AFSOC Sarge

January 14, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  24. Benny Lava

This list thing sounds like McCarthyism. Except McCarthy had more credibility.

All those people who are so nostalgic for the nineties are now getting a wake up call. Yup, this is what it was really like, folks.

January 14, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  25. nancy rhoades

I really was happy with the idea that I had two possible candidates - Clinton and Obama - that might win the nomination and I - as a 57-year-old woman - would be happy to vote for either. Obama is my first choice, but Hillary was a close second.

But I am already suffering from Clinton fatigue - this time brought on by the Clintons themselves - and I cannot see myself voting for Hillary for president if she is the ultimate Democratic candidate for president. As a dedicated Democrat, I am flummoxed; I am deeply saddened; and I am angry, too.

Let's not tear down ourselves. Isn't that the job of the Republicans? I know it's a contest and differences need to be delineated. But, please, I lived through the Bill Clinton presidency. I always supported him, even if I disagreed with his personal choices. But I do not want to relive that feeling with Hillary. If she wins the nomination based on her attributes, that is one thing. But if she wins the nomination by tearing down - or having her surrogates tear down - Barack Obama, I am through with the Clintons. For the first time in more than thirty years, I can imagine not voting at all.

January 14, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |