January 14th, 2008

Bill Clinton compiles 'list' of Obama attacks

Bill Clinton appeared on Roland Martin's show Monday.
Bill Clinton appeared on Roland Martin's show Monday.

(CNN) - Sen. Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign came out swinging Monday against the latest complaints from her rival, with former President Clinton announcing he has "a list of 80 attacks on Hillary" by Senator Barack Obama's campaign.

In a nationally syndicated radio interview on WVON, Bill Clinton said Hillary Clinton's way of handling attacks showed a clear difference from Obama. "She didn't complain about it," he said, citing one in particular that he considered "appalling."

"She just said 'I disagree,' and went on."

Clinton's remarks on the Roland S. Martin Show - which has a largely African-American audience - came amid a flare-up over remarks by Black Entertainment Television founder Bob Johnson, who appeared with Hillary Clinton on Sunday at a church in South Carolina, site of an upcoming primary.

Many believe Johnson made a veiled reference to Obama's drug use as a young man, though he insists that was not his intention.

"I think we have to take it at his word," the former president told Martin, adding that "nobody knew" what Johnson would say, and "it wasn't part of any planned strategy."

Johnson was rejecting the controversy over a recent remarks by Hillary Clinton, who noted that it "took a president" to make the Voting Rights Act a law after Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. had led the struggle for it. Some interpreted that remark as dismissive of the civil rights movement. Obama on Sunday called the remark "ill-advised."

Full story

– CNN's Josh Levs

1. Changeyear

I am so disgusted and it is sad but true, as a democrat, I would vote for a Republican in the general election before I would the Hill/Billy ticket. They are tearing our country apart. It is a disgrace.

January 14, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  2. Anonymous

Obama admitted he tried drugs. What about Clinton, who said he "didn't inhale?" Anybody still buying that bit??

Bill Clinton admitted to using drugs. George Bush also used cocaine, and is a chronic alcoholic. So if these guys did it, why is it all of a sudden such a big if Obama did it? Is it because he's black?

January 14, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  3. mel

I don't listen to anyone else. As a troll I always hear the vile, malicious and incredibly nuanced attacks within even the most tempered remarks made by those whom I don't support. I am gifted, some might say cursed, by this incredible psychic power that allows me to always know the truth behind statements made by anyone I disagree with. I am so childish that if things don't go my way during the primaries I will stay at home and spend the time that would have been wasted voting on writing more inane posts on forums like this to build up my own colossal ego. When enough of my fellow cretins are convinced to stay at home we will have 4 glorious years writing complaints here and calling into radio talk shows whining about how the Repugs rigged the 2008 elections. Only I know that the way someone speaks, dresses or the type of music they play at campaign events are more important in my decision to support them than any amount of difficult to read position papers. There is so much more I would like to pontificate on. So much more venom I would like to spew but I have been sitting in puddle too long and my diaper rash is killing me. Until I post again.

January 14, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  4. Jose Card - Independent

Is Bill running for president again?

January 14, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  5. Anonymous

I'm a registered Democrat. I've said from the day Hillary Clinton entered the race that if she won the Democratic nomnation, I'd vote Republican. My opinion has not changed.

January 14, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  6. Not Alone

For those of you who believe Sen. Obama has been given a free ride by the media, I APPLAUD you for noticing. Finally people are opening their eyes and ears. If someone attacks you, are you supposed to stand there and take it. I say defend yourself and that is exactly what Sen. Clinton has done. As she said "This country is worth fighting for". Why is Sen. Obama's drug use off limits? Do you honestly think this issue will be off limits if he wins the nomination. What world are you living in, because it's this one. The republicans will eat him alive. Why are the media not questioning his connnection with Tony Rezko? Being a black candidate does not give you a free pass to avoid answering tough questions. If you are running for the highest office in this country, nothing is off limits and the people have a right to ask questions. I don't care if your a man or woman, black or white. The American people have the right to question everything. It seems that fear of being called a racist is preventing the media from asking these questions.
    I honestly thought the race card would not be an issue. (Naive of me I know.) Then Obama has to bring it up by using MLK name. Sen. Obama is NOT and NEVER will be anything close to what MLK was. He fought for Equality for all..he's advocating to "Change" this country. Change it to what? Blacks vs Whites. No thank you, been there once don't want to go there again. He might just get his wish to change this country. He's going to tear it right down the middle.

Find our what Sen. Obama has done in Illinois. From what I've been able to find : ONE thing. Showing up and saying "Present' ."Saying "present" is not change. Saying "present" is not what I'm looking for in a president.

If people don't start to pay attention to the issues instead of race and gender, the media is going to elect our next president. Now won't that be fun!

January 14, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  7. Anonymous

"Let's see, we are moving to the future with a history and a possible future of: Bush, Clinton, Bush, Clinton?"

Actually, the last 20 years presidents have been: Bush, Clinton, Clinton, Bush, Bush and now some people want Clinton again. I agree, this is not England and we do not need monarchy here. This is why we need change – NOW!

January 14, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  8. cal

28 years of the Clinton and Bush families with their buddies trolling the corporate ladders and our government policies.... They have all worked at widdling away our rights and jailing more of us. The US has the larger ratio of people jailed to the population int he world! Clintons helped do that by enforcing mandatory minimums that Bush recommended int he first place! Don't think back to the Clinton years as some great golden age, it wasnt all that! Thats BAD for America. Less shame in America and more change. Obama 08!

January 14, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  9. DONNA BUSCH

I really believe that you, the media, are making this racial thing an issue. For onething you have to know that the Clitons are to smart to even make this an issue. Noway would they be that dumb. I really beleive that this is your way of siding with the republican party again. No matter what OIbama or the Clintons really sday you go right back to repeating the "misquotes." I really wanted to hear what the both would say that would help our country, not garbage.

January 14, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  10. AFSOCSARGE

"But let's be clear: it's a tactic, and it's coming from the Obama campaign to (a) neutralize criticisms and (b) draw African-American support from the Clintons by painting these people who have fought for civil rights for years as racists. Disgusting.

Oh Obama made the Statement that MLK could not have gotten anything done without LBJ and Made Bill not "Completely Quote him on not Supporting the Iraq War. So It was An Obama's plan to sent Robert Johnson out to talk about Obama Drug use, then have to Lie and say he was referring to his Community Service?

Hillary has become nothing but "Bush In A Skirt"

I'm "Really" for Obama Now !!!!

-AFSOC Sarge

January 14, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  11. shane

Lisa

For what you say to be true Obama would have had to write the words that Hill & bill Clinton spoke ! He didnt ! The words were their own Hill and Bill have to own them if they were miss judged explain it dont blame it on Obama!

January 14, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  12. Anonymous

This can not be the same Bill, I use to love. I was on the fence, but I am so disapointted by Bill and Hilary that I'll volunteer for Obama now.

January 14, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  13. Mary

Oh, go away and get a life. We are all tired of the BS. Every hear the saying that those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones?

January 14, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  14. Betc

This mud-slinging is the reason I no longer support Hillary. It's business as usual yet again. I am very disappointed in Bill Clinton.

And, since when did we start nominating a team for president? If Hillary can't fight her own fights now, what would happen if she becomes president and has to deal with a true formidable force?

January 14, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  15. Terry, College Station, TX

Bush (1989 – 1994) – Clinton (1994 – 2001) – Bush (2001 – 2009) – (I hope not) Clinton (2009 – 2017)

Come' on ! Give America a break in this failed dynasty. America needs a fresh face and that is certainly not going be to be Hillary. During his presidency, Bill gave Hillary the opportunity to make CHANGE by making her responsible the program "Healthcare for All" and Guess What? she failed completely. I think now she just needs to retire from politics, she had a chance and spoiled it.

January 14, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  16. Arshad

The notion that any AA person feeling upset by Clinton's comments somehow speaking for Obama campaign is ridiculous. First protests came from SC congressman James Clyburn and DNC official Donna Brazil and both of them are neutral, did not endorse anyone. They did not speak on behalf of Obama campaign but from their own conscience. They are matured adult and responsible people and were not going to denounce Clintons just because Obama's campaign somehow persuaded them as Hillary implies. So Hillary made questionable comments, she made some black leaders upset and she as well as Bill are now trying to clean their mess. That's what the story is. Why they are pointing fingers to Obama for their own mess?

Media is doing a poor job. Instead of characterizing this as a relentless attack against Obama, they are saying back and forth. Democratic leadership is invisible. Senators and Congressmen should come forward and take a stand and make it clear that they will not allow race to be exploited for election purpose.

Clintons have every right to criticize Obama's position but they don't have the right to distort his record on pro-choice or on Iraq. She can defend her own vote for Iraq war but insisting that Obama did not protest against war before the war started is wrong. When Illinios planned parenthood suggesting Obama maintained 100% positive record on pro-choice position, then sending mailers otherwise is lie. It's a contest. There will be debate. Everyone is entitle to their own opinion but none is entitled to their own version of facts. That's where Clintons cross the line.

January 14, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  17. beckie

I voted for Bill Clinton the first time he ran for President but did not the second time he was elected.
    I can not believe what he is doing, he really makes himself look bad by downing Obama. It really makes him look desperate.
    You know, Obama was honest enough to put in his book about his drug use.
    I can remember when it came out about Bill Clinton smoking marijuana, he said "I didn't inhale!"
    Seems to me he always has an excuse for everything he does.
    Could it be that he is standing behind Hillary so much now, that he is trying to redeem himself with her when he disgraced OUR oval office and shamed her (Hillary)? Are we as Americans going to let him step foot back in that oval office to visit Hillary when he disgraced it so? He doesn't deserve to be in our White House.
    I am praying that some of Hillary's advisers will read these comments and stop the bickering on the Clinton's side before out country is shamed again.
    I have not made up my mind as to who I am going to vote for but it will not be another term for the Clintons!!

January 14, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  18. Raymond

So it's Hillary dividing the party???? Not Obama??? Wake up! Obama has pushed this and tried to spin it anyway he could. had he just said that he understood what Hillary was saying and it everything was ok then we could have moved on, BUT, unlike his platform to UNITE, he has divided!!! So its Obama and all his "fans" that have moved this and kept it alive. So that's who is dividing the Democratic party right now, not Hillary.

January 14, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  19. Lynn

I wish the people who dislike Obama or claim he lacks experience would somehow take a look at this past weekend's "Tim Russert" show on MSNBC. I'm not talking about "Meet the Press," but about the weekly roundtable discussion Russert holds. David L. Brooks made a couple of comments that really stopped me in my tracks. He said he has covered the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, of which Obama is a member, and that after Brooks wrote a column about something the Committee had done, Obama sent him an e-mail that made it clear Obama was perceptive enough to know exactly what Brooks was thinking. I really can't explain it here, but Brooks said numerous other people with whom he'd spoken have had the same experience - that Obama might not agree with what you're saying, but he understands it perhaps even better than you do, and he respects your opinion. It really gave me chills. Brooks said Obama has been able to get a lot of cooperation that way.

Sadly, my immediate thought was that I can't even imagine Hillary Clinton having that kind of relationship with people she doesn't agree with. I honestly don't think she originally was as divisive as Bill is, but she really has picked up a lot from him, and in my opinion it has made her less empathetic. I think she would really have been something if she'd gotten rid of Bill at some point. But she got sucked into his way of doing things and now she can't seem to let it go. Very sad.

January 14, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  20. Jacques Malan

American politics! Worse than ever; still the most tranparent process on earth. The guys with the money will win. Yes or No?

January 14, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  21. timbnyc

"I have in my hand a list....."

He's channeling Joe McCarthy! It's almost freudian, like a confession that's he making things up even as he says his lines!

January 14, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  22. Dr. Who

Hillary's first mistake in running for President, allowing Bill to campaign for her.

January 14, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  23. Mike Allen

The real issue isn't that Hillary is shallow and cold blooded. We KNOW That. The real issue is that Hillary does not have the guts to commit to pull the troops out of Iraq.

January 14, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  24. Chris, Orlando, FL

Obama needs an autopsy. We need to examine him and call him out on things, just as we do every other candidate. When will people realize that this isn't The Apprentice. The job they're vying for is President of the United States, and as such, close examination of the facts is necessary, even if we get a little dirty in the process. Thank heavens we don't live in Russia or Pakistan or Central Africa where people die over these things. Lighten up, Obama crazies... he's brought this upon himself by virtue of competing for the position.

January 14, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  25. J Pharao

One thing is sure: There won't be any Bush-Clinton dynasty in America. It seems to me like the Clintons are ready to do anything to get another shot at the presidency. Their attacks, and "list of attacks" are just outrageous. Their actions convince me of one thing: The party of FDR, JFK, and LBJ really needs fresh faces, fresh ideas, and a new direction.

January 14, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |