January 14th, 2008

Bill Clinton compiles 'list' of Obama attacks

Bill Clinton appeared on Roland Martin's show Monday.
Bill Clinton appeared on Roland Martin's show Monday.

(CNN) - Sen. Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign came out swinging Monday against the latest complaints from her rival, with former President Clinton announcing he has "a list of 80 attacks on Hillary" by Senator Barack Obama's campaign.

In a nationally syndicated radio interview on WVON, Bill Clinton said Hillary Clinton's way of handling attacks showed a clear difference from Obama. "She didn't complain about it," he said, citing one in particular that he considered "appalling."

"She just said 'I disagree,' and went on."

Clinton's remarks on the Roland S. Martin Show - which has a largely African-American audience - came amid a flare-up over remarks by Black Entertainment Television founder Bob Johnson, who appeared with Hillary Clinton on Sunday at a church in South Carolina, site of an upcoming primary.

Many believe Johnson made a veiled reference to Obama's drug use as a young man, though he insists that was not his intention.

"I think we have to take it at his word," the former president told Martin, adding that "nobody knew" what Johnson would say, and "it wasn't part of any planned strategy."

Johnson was rejecting the controversy over a recent remarks by Hillary Clinton, who noted that it "took a president" to make the Voting Rights Act a law after Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. had led the struggle for it. Some interpreted that remark as dismissive of the civil rights movement. Obama on Sunday called the remark "ill-advised."

Full story

– CNN's Josh Levs

1. Bimmer

Those suggesting that the Clintons are insensitive towards African American are desperate and oblivious to the facts..

Is not Bill Clinton known as the "First Black President of USA?

Did not Vernon Jordan stood by Clinton during tough times when everbody deserted him?

January 14, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  2. scotty

THIS ALL JUST PROVES OR SHALL I SAY CONFIRMS ONE THING:
    2 SETS OF RULES IN THIS COUNTRY

January 14, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  3. JACK ny, ny

I am still waiting for response from Obama supporter who are chanting like maniac

since you know so much about Obama, May be you can explain why he voted

PRESENT on key issues in senate.

Please stop all those lame excuses for this guy

January 14, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  4. Cheryl

Hillary is dividing the party because she feels the Presidency is owed to her. She whines, cries and throw fits when she can not get her way. Hell they should have had another child. The child would be more of an adult than her.

January 14, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  5. Ken, Suitland MD

You ding-dongs posting here better look at and contrast the PLATFORMS/POLICIES of the candidates amid the larger context of the national election. You whiners who say you won't vote for this-or-that democrat because of perceived slights or harsh campaigning had better WAKE UP! I would suggest that those who feel this way probably added to the ranks of the unperceptive who found excuses not to vote, or vote for Bush, in 2000,2004. Those who did so should be ashamed, and those who would repeat the mistake again during this campaign cycle should be more that ashamed.

GUARANTEE: the losing candidates of the democratic primary campaign will all vote for the democratic nominee!!! So, to all those who won't vote for the "other" candidate, JUST WHY WOULD YOU SO STRONGLY SUPPPORT SOMEONE WHO WOULD VOTE FOR THE "OTHER" CANDIDATE?????????

But why trouble yourselves with such deep thoughts. Just let Bush III from the repbub-nut side have another crack at the presidency, right? You don't mind fighting endless "pre-emptive" wars do you? You don't mind letting climate change go unabated? Why what's wrong with a little more debt, anyway? And none of you has anything to hide; let the Fed. gov't, led by a king-executive, decide who has civil rights when - after all, those wing-nuts SAY they are all for the constitution, right? Do you really think any of the wing-nut candidates out there are going to significantly change any of these right-wing policies? They wouldn't get their nomination, if they proposed it.

January 14, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  6. homas

Both campaigns are wasting time sniping at each other: race card vs insensativity. The repubs are loving this. They hope the thin-skinned crowd will get in a huff and either sit out the election or go nuts and vote for Sen. "1,000 years in Iraq" McCain.

Please don't blow this chance. I don't think our country can withstand any more nutty Repub stunts.

January 14, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  7. Anon

Where is this list, then? Or are these imaginary slights? In my opinion, real racebaiting trumps imaginary slights. Am I right?

January 14, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  8. Keith, Chicago

It is insane to see how misinformed some people are. There have been at least 50 people on this article alone, who have Obama for attacking Hillary Clinton – and many of those people are even saying that Obama insinuated that Clinton was a racist or even flat out called her a racist! WHEN did Obama ever do this! If you are going to make outrageous (and completely false) claims, at least use exact quotes and give your source. Otherwise, you are showing that you are misinformed at best, if not blatantly lying.

January 14, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  9. WP, Phoenix, AZ

I've never seen so many people believe obvious lies. Seriously, this is actually kind of scary! Is there really that many ignorant people in this country?

Once again, will someone PLEASE provide quotes and/or links that show where Obama called Clinton a racist, compared himself to MLK and JFK, and has brought race into his campaign? SOMEONE. ANYONE. Please send all FACTS – not theories – to therza@cox.net.

January 14, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  10. Gobama

A-B-C – ANYONE BUT CLINTON!

STATUS QUO MUST GO!

NO CLINTON 3rd TERM!

NO MORE FOULING OF THE WHITE HOUSE NEST!

NO MORE UNDERMINING OF US PRESIDENCY!

January 14, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  11. Greg

I have been a Democrat most of my life. I have been a Bill Clinton supporter, even when I probably should have questioned his lying to congress. I felt he was a good president, and times were good. My perception was he was a fair man who listened, and acted with reason.
    Was I wrong?

Since Geo. Bush kidnapped the White house and the republican party, the Democrats took back Congress and tripped and stumbled into the worst exhibit of "bad government" as well, I have become more independent. At this juncture, please, just give me a president that can lead! Give me a president whom can speak articulately, speak with passion, who can show strength when needed, not hubris. I am bored by ignorance, I am scared by it as well. But most of all, I am completely fed up with politics the same old way. Stop talking about "I" every time you open your mouth. This is our country, we are electing you, you are no king or queen. Engage us, motivate us, serve us with dignity and accountability. if I should refer to a Kennedy speech I heard when I was a young boy, regarding these ideas, am I comparing my self to him. I think not. I am joining the march, expanding the dream.

Bill, what happen to you? Was my perception askew? It seems that there is some entitlement issues here. Do you want the white house so bad that you are willing to destroy the future of your party over this? Seems like it.

I hail from Chicago where politics is tough, to say the least. I may be naive, but give me the dream, and make it not be a Clinton!

January 14, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  12. s.positive

AMERICA, continue to disgrace yourself as the world watches and laughes. We can't we focus on what is good about us, is it really that bad????????

January 14, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  13. Pasqualato

Hillary has brought change to my family. Every time we see them on TV, we change the channel.

-----------------------
    Hhahahaha

January 14, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  14. Walt, TX

Getting an honest answer from Hillary or slick willie is like getting driving lessons from Ted Kennedy.

January 14, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  15. Teacher

I would rather have 5th graders elect a new president.Surprisingly They can see through the bull better than the average American.

January 14, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  16. Obama 08

Publish the list...stating there are 80 is not good enough...and while you are at it replay the clip that they say Obama was comparing himself to MLK and JFK....wasn't it the Clinton contention that they could take anything the Republicans threw at them...seems pretty thin skinned to me.

The real purpose of all of this was to deflect the high level endorsements that Obama was receiving and the thoughtful support and explanations by Kerry and Dashul (sic) on the other Sunday shows.

I can't understand how people continue to support these two...

January 14, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  17. Jake, ATL

To you people who keep bringing up the Present vote, often times politicians vote present as part of a larger plan. For example, in the Illinois Legislature, the Repubs brought up a bill called "Live Birth Abortion" which would put moderate Dems between a rock and a hard place. Think about it, the Repubs could use it on the campaign trail and say, "You see, Senator So-and-so supports live birth abortions!" So the Democratic leadership devised a plan ALONG with Planned Parenthood to vote "present" so the Democrats in a tight spot would have this option.

So, if you only believe what they tell you, you aren't doing yourself any good. Educate yourself before you start insulting those of us who support other candidates.

Have a nice day, and be a Hopemonger!

January 14, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  18. Nobama No Way

"Through all of this supposed back and forth between Obama and Clinton. You have rarely heard Obama speak about this. He makes a statement and leaves it at that. While the Clintons keep going at it, and brining it up.. "

Please – when reporters keep bringing it up, what is she supposed to do, just say "I disagree" and let it go? Watch the video from Meet the Press. She tried to disagree, and Russert kept reading more blips that weren't complete – you can't just expect her to sit there and do nothing about it.

When someone is standing there punching you in the gut, are you going to just say "Oh, he's hitting me" and let him keep doing it? NO! You're going to defend yourself. Edwards and Obama are the ones that starting slinging the mud in Iowa, and the Clinton campaign started defending themselves, plain and simple. Oh but she can't defend herself without coming across as a b-word. Nor can she show an emotional moment without coming across as too soft.

GET OVER YOURSELVES, PEOPLE!

CLINTON '08

January 14, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  19. waterprise2

I was a BIG supporter of the Clintons...I thought that even though Bill lied about his affair, it was NOT a national security issue so why all the fuss? But I have lost ALL respect for both of them. Ever since Barack still rising in the polls, the attacks have gone on and on. They've tried everything from his middle name (English translation: "handsome") to his trying drugs in his use (so did Bill, but he didn't "inhale"–give me a break) to voting "Present" in the IL Legislature...knowing full well that means that the bill is still being worked on.

Obama said NOTHING about what Hillary or her surrogates have said over and over and over. Hillary (and Bill) just whine and complain...they want to get back in the White House and will do anything to get there.

When Hillary lost Iowa, she blamed everyone and everything, including the Caucus system. She didn't complain about the Nevada caucus system until she lost the endorsement.

Of course they've both done good things in their past. But the last few weeks, they've gotten so far down in the mud...and now they're mad because Barack won't go down there with them.

Hillary has complained and blamed everyone ever since the "Great Right Wing Conspiracy", and it's getting pretty tiresome.

Everyone is mad because Barack has nothing to hide. He DID come out against the war in 2002 in front of over 3,000 people. He DID vote for funding, because are you to leave the soldiers over there with nothing?

The Clintons kept this up AFTER they squeaked out a 2% edge in NH; yet all the big endorsements from Unions and Democratic Leaders of Red and Blue States came AFTER last Tuesday. That's why the Clintons are mad and they wanted another story in the media to bury all of Barack's endorsements.

Barack has had his family everywhere...even on his "Christmas Card"...where was Bill on Hillary's?

Obama has taken the high road, and will continue to do so. His whole campaign has been transcendent of race and gender and uniting the entire country.

Hillary has changed her campaign slogans and copied Barack's themes for the past few months...because she sees that what he is saying is what the people want.

I'm sorry Bill and Hillary...people see what they will get "On Day One"...and they don't want it.

January 14, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  20. CAROLE ALLENDALE NEW JERSEY

well what a lady hillary is.. she just said "i disagree" and the clintons have come out swinging.. so dear ol' bill has a list of 80 things obama has said about hillary.. if that were true they would have come out long before this. the clintons love to get down and dirty.. do we want this for 4 more years. the clintons will always prove the people that they are.. and that we can all do without.. search and destroy. that is their mission.. i wish i knew how she got this far.. oh yes, it was riding on ol' bills coattails.. im just so sick of them.. i think they have proven what and who they are........in the 90's

January 14, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  21. waterprise2

One more thing, Barack NEVER compared himself to JFK, RFK, or MLK. He just envoked their memories and legacies to show what can be done when the Country is inspired instead of divided. Period.

January 14, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  22. Needle's Eye

Lost in this dust-up: actual history.

Eisenhower sent the National Guard to Little Rock, AK, to protect Black students.

JFK did nothing (he thought and he considered, but had no action).

LBJ supported and made the 1965 act the law of the land.

MLK led the civil rights movement, yes - but he had no power to create and install civil rights protections.

President Lyndon B. Johnson made civil rights a reality.

January 14, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  23. Elisabeth, Burlington, VT

Obama has never brought race up in this campaign. He has said that he wants to run to on the issues and to bring resolution to the issues facing the country.

I can't decide whether the Clintons meant to bring race into the campaign or not. Some have suggested that this may be a way to get the Reagen democrats to side with her, believing she can survive South Carolina with the majority of the white vote and some black vote. I just have to wonder how two usually articulate people couldn't manage to say what they meant to say more clearly. I also have to wonder how several Clinton supporters manage to say such stupid things on the Clintons' behalf.

This may have a silver lining for Obama, though. If he has to deal with these issues now he'll be better prepared to deal with them in the general election.

P.S. Will some of you get over his Muslim father and his middle name. My middle name is Jean and my parents were Catholic. I'm not to blame for (nor am I ashamed of) either.

January 14, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  24. Charlene in VA

People you all "I take that back "Most of you sound like a babies. The first time something is said that you don’t like you jump ship. will if you feel that way your vote need not count, because you don’t seem to be able to make a decisions for yourself you seem to need the media to tell you “what to think and who to vote for” You can tell who the media is trying to get everyone to vote for and I don’t understand why they just don’t report the news the way they are suppose to and not add and twist what they want to get said. I am an African American woman and I still support HRC. 2008

January 14, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  25. Kim Knight

Hillary Clinton is a joke. She makes the idea of voting for George Bush again not look so bad!!! She a worrying figure in this race to the Whitehouse. I just pray that she doesn't make it for America's sake. She truly doesn't seem to realise the damage she will do. She'll become complacent and expect Bill to do everything as we have seen recently. "Bill, help me!! I can't do this on my own!!"
    She's too gun-ho! ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK – Thats what she does best – then she starts crying. It's early days yet, and she's already showing signs of weakness. Just imagine how this all looks in the eyes of foreign leaders; SHE'S ALREADY ANNOUNCED SHE'S TOO AFRAID TO COMMUNICATE WITH THEM. You've got be truly insane if you don't think terrorists wont like the fact she isn't tough. She is an unwise choice for America, she is not likeable – not by america, not by republicans and not even by her fellow democrats – she is the status quo, and that's the last thing needed to bring the country together around issues to get things done. Obama has a track record of doing this. He is likeable, and is very tough and smart on foreign policy, healthcare and education. Many experts say he is spot on with his policies! And quite frankly I know he is the right choice for the Presidency. I trust his judgement and intelligence. He embodies change needed for the future. The Clintons are the past, and they seriously need to make way for the future.

January 14, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |