January 14th, 2008

Bill Clinton compiles 'list' of Obama attacks

Bill Clinton appeared on Roland Martin's show Monday.
Bill Clinton appeared on Roland Martin's show Monday.

(CNN) - Sen. Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign came out swinging Monday against the latest complaints from her rival, with former President Clinton announcing he has "a list of 80 attacks on Hillary" by Senator Barack Obama's campaign.

In a nationally syndicated radio interview on WVON, Bill Clinton said Hillary Clinton's way of handling attacks showed a clear difference from Obama. "She didn't complain about it," he said, citing one in particular that he considered "appalling."

"She just said 'I disagree,' and went on."

Clinton's remarks on the Roland S. Martin Show - which has a largely African-American audience - came amid a flare-up over remarks by Black Entertainment Television founder Bob Johnson, who appeared with Hillary Clinton on Sunday at a church in South Carolina, site of an upcoming primary.

Many believe Johnson made a veiled reference to Obama's drug use as a young man, though he insists that was not his intention.

"I think we have to take it at his word," the former president told Martin, adding that "nobody knew" what Johnson would say, and "it wasn't part of any planned strategy."

Johnson was rejecting the controversy over a recent remarks by Hillary Clinton, who noted that it "took a president" to make the Voting Rights Act a law after Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. had led the struggle for it. Some interpreted that remark as dismissive of the civil rights movement. Obama on Sunday called the remark "ill-advised."

Full story

– CNN's Josh Levs

1. Terry

Wow!

The Clinton's really know how to make more people dislike them. They are so polarizing and this country really doesn't need them.

I'm an undecided indenpendent but I know for sure I will NOT vote for Hillary.

January 14, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  2. Amy

I have seen enough to make my decision, I am not going back on it, I would never vote for Hillary Clinton if she were the only candidate. She is not genuine, her campaign is involved in the most dirty politics, and I don't want this to continue. I am firmly voting for Barack Obama. And if she does makes it to the general, I am voting Republican.

January 14, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  3. Chuck Beaver

This is how her whole Presidency would be. Her running to Bill to protect her.

January 14, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  4. Scott, Royal Oak, MI

this is such a joke. what attacks, Bill? I'd love to see your list.

Oh and this whole "Obama is criticizing Hillary for her race-related comments thing"? NOT HAPPENING, DIDNT HAPPEN, WON'T HAPPEN. This is yet another fabrication of the Clinton campaign.

As Obama has recently said:
    "For them somehow to suggest we're injecting race as a consequence of a statement she made that we haven't commented on is pretty hard to figure out,"

January 14, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  5. FIRSTWOMAN4PRES

We are ready for the first female president? Hmmm... So let me get this straight SHE sticks her HER foot in her mouth, regarding the civil rights movement. When NOBODY was thinking or even talking about it, and she brings out the most deplorable black male figure Bob Johnson to defend her. Back in NH, when she thought she was in trouble of losing a truly sincere woman (who by the way voted for Obama) asked her how does she get up every morning "she cries" in order to get the sympathy vote. NOW she is having trouble in SC, and she brings out her HUSBAND BIG BILL to take on the the people that don't like her. So this is what we can expect if SHE is commander in chief? Cry, lie, and if that doesn't work send out finger wagging BIll saying you stop messing with MY woman!!! This is pathetic.

January 14, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  6. Scott, Royal Oak, MI

this is typical Clinton political strategy: FLING STUFF EVERYWHERE. Doesn't matter whether it's true or not. Sooner or later, if you fling enough garbage, some of the trash will stick in peoples minds.

I HATE THIS TYPE OF POLITICS!!!

January 14, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  7. Terry

The media need to do a story about how polarizing the Bill and Hillary really is. They really strongly divide a lot of people and make the Republicans look good.

January 14, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  8. Ann

Oh yes "the issues", wouldn't that be nice. It is not the interests of the media to have anyone talk issues, it is controversy they want. What was the first thing Russert asked Hillary Clinton about? Why "the controversy" of course! Your best bet is to quit watching TV.

January 14, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  9. Christian, Tampa FL

As if the Obama campaign couldn't compile a large list of the Clinton campaign attacks?

This back and forth is getting kind of dumb. I think Hillary needs to really ditch Bill; I don't like the idea of her relying on him to get elected. She needs to demonstrate her presidential prowess, not his.

And it is my experience that the Obama campaign has always been a bit more civil than the Clinton camp, so I think bill should be careful about what viper's nests he stirs up.

January 14, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  10. John, Kansas City, MO

I would like to see the list of 80 attacks as well. As far as I can tell, Obama and Edwards are the two Democratic candidates doing the least mudslinging. And on the Repugnant-can side, the only one not slinging mud isn't even a Republican.

Obama/Paul in 2008!

January 14, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  11. Mauri

How on earth do Barak Obama and John Edwards expect to get elected to anything concerning leadership of this country. I cannot believe what is coming out of their mouths, but thank goodness they're saying it now instead of waiting until they get into a leadership role.

Edwards: Criticises Clinton for putting down Dr.King's civil rights accomplishments compared to some "Washington politician!" Is he kidding???? No person, President or otherwise, EVER did more to promote racial equality than President Johnson did. JFKennedy couldn't do it, but Johnson – with his EXPERTISE and experience of moving bills through the congress –got it done. I hope you both note the word "EXPERIENCE." This followed Dr. King's imploring him to do it shortly after Kennedy's death.

I would be ASHAMED if I were John Edwards to sink that low. Also, for Mr. Edwards' edification - it was Lyndon Johnson, working with President Roosevelt, that delivered programs to the people most harshly affected by the depression. And it is John Edwards who talks about what he will do for the middle class when he is president. We pray to God that will never happen. Us middle-class citizens don't want him, thank you!

Obama: Fans the fires about Hillary's remarks concerning President Johnson and Martin Luther King. Give us a break! Our message to him would be to cancel all that hatred mess and tell us once and for all, what your plans are if you are elected.

I hope these two iknow that Hillary has many supporters in rewarding her for what she has already done for our country. WE'RE already sick of how they are putting her down - and be assured there are many, many more who are seeing through the dirty remarks of these two men. She will win!!!

January 14, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  12. Jack K.

I wonder what she'll do in Nevada.

She'll probably describe how tough it is to cook dinner and mop the floors and bake cookies every night–before they can catch up on their emails–naturally with a tearful expression to grab at the heart strings!!

Of course...this lady has prepared a meal for herself since she lived in Arkansas!

January 14, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  13. Kathy

I am not a Hillary supporter, nor am I an Obama supporter at this time, but in Hillary's defense – after John Kerry rolled over and did NOT fight for himself when he was shamelessly "swift-boated", I'm happy that Hillary isn't turning the other cheek. She must defend herself against all attacks – and she is. If this were a man defending himself, they would think he was strong.

Having said that, Folks – let's split the baby and vote for John Edwards!!

January 14, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  14. Vince Los Angeles, CA

You Hillary lovers are the epitome of irrationality and ignorance. I will NEVER vote for Hillary Clinton…I don't care WHO she is running against. Furthermore, if she is elected as the Democratic nominee, I will IMMEDIATELY change my party to Independant. Hillary's campaign stands for everything I'm against. I think it's DISGUSTING that you people are so willing to give him a pass after he said he "didn't inhale" when he was running and the blatant LIES both of them have told over the years. For all of you to attack Obama which such hatred.......I'm done....I no longer want to be a DemocRAT

January 14, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  15. vwcat

That list of attacks by the Obama campaign is probably in the same realm as
    "I did not have sexual..." or "I was against the Iraq war.."
    or any number of imaginary things in Bill's head.
    For over a year i keep reading democrats worried about the republican attack machine. I think they need to look at the Clinton one first. They are far more vicious than the republicans could ever think to be – and I'm a democrat.
    The Clintons are becoming a total embarrassment to the party and I hope my fellow democrats reject them and their nasty 90s style politics.

January 14, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  16. Cathy

CLINTONS LEAVE OBAMA ALONE. STOP THE CLINTON BULLY MACHINE.

January 14, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  17. Jackie

Come on people. BOTH camps are playin politics. Can you blame them, really?

We saw Kerry get crushed in the general for not playing and I don't think Clinton or Obama want that to happen to them.

On issues though, I gotta go with Hillary.

January 14, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  18. PAUL

WHY DO WE NEVER SEE OBAMA'S DAUGHTER AND WHY IS HIS WIFE NEVER INTERVIEWED? WHY DOES HIS WIFE NEVER INTRODUCE HIM? IS THIS A STRATEGY OF THE OBAMA CAMP TO KEEP HIS FAMILY OUT OF THE LIMELIGHT? IT APPEARS SO AND I WONDER WHY. I ALSO WONDER VERY FEW PEOPLE HAVE MENTIONED THIS. DO HIS STRATEGISTS BELIEVE THEY HURT HIM? I THINK SO...MAYBE IT'S BECAUSE SHE COULD WIN A CONDALEEZA RICE LOOK A LIKE CONTEST.......

January 14, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  19. Eric, MD

I guess the politics of hope should be reconsidered; the politics of dope is more like it....

January 14, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  20. Ted

Just who is running for office....... Bill or Hillary?? It's amazing, the guy can't stay out of the spotlight at any cost. Can you imagine if Hillary actually WON??? This is just the tip of the iceberg, and the White House would be more divisive than ever. We are better off with a Republican president, and a Dem majority in the Congress for balances. (unless it was Biden, who I have some faith in) Obama needs to stay in the Senate, as does Hillary. I actually like some of Hillary's votes, and this way Obama can just actually vote!! As a Republican, nobody does much for me either, but we are better off with McCain.

January 14, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  21. Nomad

Bill Clinton, please stifle!!!!!

January 14, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  22. Joe

I want to hear Hillary respond to whatever= Bill Clinton is not a CANdiate- He is history- not bad just history- change does not include BIG BILL.

January 14, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  23. Barbara

Poor Bill. To go from being the 'Leader of the Free World', to yap-dog for his wife must certainly be demeaning.

January 14, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  24. Christine

STOP, STOP, STOP! This is totally ludicrous and a waste of time. Very disappointing, but predictable. Couldn't be clearer to me that Obama is the candidate for change as long as he stays out of the pettiness.

January 14, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  25. LinnieFB, Corona, CA

Perhaps Bill Clinton should instead compile a list of all of the times the African-American community defended him during numerous scandals and accusations - many of which turned out to be true!

We are so FED UP with this couple and can't wait for them to RETIRE from American politics so that our country can heal.

January 14, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |