January 14th, 2008

Blitzer: Stunned by readers' response

CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.
CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - I must say I was stunned by the amazing reaction to my request Friday for suggested questions for the upcoming Democratic Presidential debate that CNN is co-sponsoring with the Congressional Black Caucus Institute in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina next Monday night, January 21. So far, we have received some 2,000 comments. I am not surprised that almost all of them were serious and well-informed.

I have always had high confidence in our CNN viewers. I know you are smart because you wouldn’t be watching The Situation Room and all of our other CNN political coverage if you weren’t. There are simply too many other options available to all of you - ranging from sitcoms, to sports, to silly talk shows. Our viewers are intelligent and that certainly came through with your comments. You can take a look at them yourself. If you take the time, you too will be impressed.

Let me assure you that our team is going through all of these suggested questions, and we will select some of them for the debate. We will also use your ideas to formulate some other questions. You’ve raised serious issues and Suzanne Malveaux, Joe Johns and I are taking them very seriously. This has been a great opportunity for us to know what is on your minds, and we are grateful to you for the help.

Throughout my journalistic career, I have always cherished the fact that I am blessed with a front-row seat to history. I have the opportunity and privilege to ask important newsmakers tough and important questions. In the process, I see myself as our viewers’ representative. You might not have that chance, but I do - and I take it very seriously.

By the way, if you'd like to see some of the questions already asked, you can read them by clicking here. Thanks again.

–CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. Charles Haag

Question: All What is your stand on the Trilateral Commision and Globalization?

January 15, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  2. Marcia Goswick

My question for the candidates is:

Jobs, or the lack thereof, across all levels, is an increasing concern. In light of this, would you support new or increased levels for foreign worker programs?

January 15, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  3. Shawn Boy

From what I am reading in the comments, regardless of party affiliation (or lack thereof), I think many of you would strongly agree with many of Ron Paul's ideas. Although he is a Republican, you may be pleasantly suprised that there is a sincere candidate running that supports many values that most Americans feel are important. No harm in at least looking him up, just "Google Ron Paul".

January 15, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  4. Connie K. in New York

Thanks, again, Wolf–

For Mr. Edwards:

I am impressed by how, in your campaign, you honor the sacrifice your parents made to give you a better life. Mine did the same. What do you think you would take into the White House with you in terms of character that makes you better suited for the position than either Ms. Clinton or Mr. Obama ?

Thank you.

January 15, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  5. Matthew B.

Please ask Mrs. Clinton to extrapolate on why her experience in the White House, an unusually active one, is quite valuable to realizing a better Executive Branch; and also how her 7 plus years in the Senate, with her skills in bringing both sides together on thorny issues, allows her that added view on how to get Major Reforms in government through a minefield in Congress. How would you combat fears that we are going backwards to the Bill Clinton Era, a supremely positive era for the economy and World prestige, and being able to create your own NEW era?

Being that the top tier candidates are crying for "Change", also please ask all the candidates how their rallying cries for CHANGE can be realized, knowing that change happens not but merely being eloquent in making speeches, but also being able to work through tough negotiations with a well organized opponent like the Republican Party.

Also, please ask Mr. Obama how does State Legislative Government experience assist with Federal Executive Branch government expertise and how can that help with the mounting issues with Federal government reform and the ever present World opinion of our country?

Thank you.

January 15, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  6. P Campbell

To all the candidates: Some have talked about trying to end the partisian divide so I want to know of two republicans you would consider appointing to your cabinet and why you would choose these two individuals.

Other question: we're headed for a recession, give us one thing you would do to cusion America and why it would work.

January 15, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  7. Mike McGrath

I am puzzled at Hillary's observation that the Voting Right Act and other civil rights legislation were only passed because of the good efforts of then president Lyndon Johnston. Sure, but would Johnson have just pushed for them on his own without the sacrifice of Martin Luther King? My point is that MLK was not in congress, but Johnson was not in the streets.

January 15, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  8. Angela Adams

My Question:

Our social security and medicare programs are endangered because the government squandered these funds on other entitlements. How do you justify fixing (scaling back) these two programs while expanding spending on universal health care and mandates for illegal aliens?

January 15, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  9. Tee

Please ask Obama: What experience does he have? What is his record? He keeps directing to change, however, Clinton is always for change. She has experience, she has brought forth how she intends to lead and what she will do if president? What is HIS plan, what is his record, what "experience" does he claim to have?

January 15, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  10. Greg D

I'm in agreement with Johnny A. When will the government stop arresting patients? Medicine should be decided by a doctor, not politicians. We need to end the persecution of medical marijuana patients NOW! What will you do to stop the federal government from arresting innocent people?

January 15, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  11. Steve

OBAMA When, How, What are you Going to CHANGE and Where is all the Money going to come from?

January 15, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  12. Stan

there have been many candidates raise the issue of universal health care; all I want to know is what is it Iam going to get, the same coverage that Hillary and Obama have or something quite different.

January 15, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  13. David

To Hillary Clinton: I have heard a lot of talk about your years of experience (in particular, I believe the quote at the last debate was "that you had 35 years of experience making change"). Could you please describe, specifically, what experiences you have had and what changes you have directly effected in those 35 years that you believe give you a greater ability than Mr. Obama to change the country?

January 15, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  14. Uba

Question for All the Presidential Candidates: With the current problems in Washington, the partisan politics and divides that seek to tear us down rather than build us up. What makes you better suited than the other candidates to bring Democrats, Republicans and Independents together to bring about the CHANGE that Washington truly needs??????

January 15, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  15. Nilesh Maheshwary

Hi
    My question for All candidates
    If elected president, would you solve the immigration problem in 6 months, a year or longer?

January 15, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  16. Phil, Stone Mountain GA

For the canidates in the next REPUBLICAN debate:

What is your definition of a NEO-CON, and to what extent do you consider yourself one?

January 15, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  17. Jared in West Central Illinois

for all candidates, Both parties candidates where very appealing throughout 2007. Yet, so far, in 2008 things as usual have turned ugly. Candidates have turned wrong side up. I was very pleased to see the front runners in the democratic party where a black man and a woman both with good views but as usual one side couldn't accept falling behind the other and now we have something as ugly as race issues or wars on the table. America has been growing up and making a strong effort to dissolve judgement of race ( all, brain is pink, thats the important part of every human). Hatred has become a small issue as we've seen in Iowa and New Hampshire. Has not all the candidates in both parties with all there attacking of each other, in recent debates and interviews, showed that candidates personal attacks within their own party or across the board will weaken the American peoples hope that you are the right candidate for America? And do you believe you're the candidate that can bring America back to its former standing within the eyes of the nations of the world, as America used to be a nation envied by all the world?

January 15, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  18. tanyi

My question goes to Hilary Clinton.
    If you are elected to the white House today ,do you think Muslim world will be ready to sit down on the table with you?given the image of a woman in their society?

January 15, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  19. Chris

I know Senator Obama may not want to answer this question but it is something that has been on my mind alot lately, does he have any fear for the safety of his family and himself as he proves himself to be a formitable candidate? I think that unfortunately we enjoy pretending that we have evolved as it relates to race relations in America, but the last several days have proven that race does and is playing a role in this election. I just feel that there are those out there that just would be unable to accept an African American president. As history has shown us, they don't even react well to a president that relates too closely with African Americans.

January 15, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  20. Sean Evans

Question for Hilary:
    Question 1: considering ISRAEL is the only contry with Nuclear power in the Middle East and occupying Palestine unlawfully, would your administration help the palestaian cause?
    Question 2: US have spet over 1.8 trillion in false war in Iraq also damaged buildings, human lives etc there....to restore the peace and redevelopment in Iraq, would your administration spend even half the amount spent in the War?
    NOTE: I know my questions won't be asked as they are bitter truth!

January 15, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  21. Paul Aughtry

To all candidates:

Why don't you focus on the issues that concern the American people instead of pandering for votes just to get elected. I hear lots of ideas about "what you think the problems are" but I haven't heard any solutions to the problems.

If you have no solutions – then why should I bother to vote for you?

January 15, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  22. John Olson

My question is for all the candidates.

I am 23 years old, and my generation only remembers two years during which the Democrats simultaneously controlled the White House, the House, and the Senate. By contrast, my generation remembers six years when Republicans controlled all three. If you receive our party's nomination and win in November, it is likely that the Democrats will also retain control of Congress. What will you do to make sure we don't relive the last six years of Republican domination and refusal to compromise while making sure the Democrats retain control of Congress after your first two years in office?

January 15, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  23. Kathie

My question is:

Congress, although not by law, essentially has given up all its oversight responsibility over to the Federal Reserve. There are no true audits, and Congress knows nothing of the conversations, plans, and actions taken in concert with other central banks. The Federal Reserve relently increases the money supply. M3 has risen more than twice as fast as M2 and GDP in recent years. Many economist believe inflation is caused by such monetary phenomenon.

M3 is widely used by notable economists, policy makers, and investors as the most accurate and reliable true measure of the money supply

What will you do as president to ensure that the Federal Reserve reverses their decision to discontinue compiling and releasing the M3 monetary aggregate figures? Why should our Congress not be privy to the US Money Supply?

January 15, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  24. Question for Obama

Please explain to the American people why your wife, who is earning over $200,000 a year still shops at Target and please tell me why this should play into your presidential bid?

Would you be willing to show the AMerican people receipts?

January 15, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  25. N Vik

Question for Obama –

How does he explain his relationship with controversial Rev. Wright. who blames whites for everything that goes wrong in black community?

January 15, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |