January 14th, 2008

Early voting starts in Florida

(CNN) - Most of the Republican candidates may be focused on Michigan, which votes Tuesday, but voters in another key state headed to the polls this morning.

Florida’s official primary date is January 29, but early voting in the presidential primary starts today – and this morning, 37 locations across Central Florida opened for voting.

Voting has already started outside the polls in Florida. More than 206,000 Republicans, 163,000 Democrats and 52,000 unaffiliated voters who don't have party affiliation have asked for absentee ballots, along with. In comparison, fewer than 94,000 Democrats cast absentee ballots in 2004, when there was no Republican primary.

Early voting ends Sunday, January 27, although some counties will end it on Saturday, January 26.

Penalties from the national parties for Florida’s decision to hold its primaries early in the cycle mean that few White House hopefuls have spent time campaigning in the state. (One exception is Rudy Giuliani, who has wagered his candidacy on a strong showing in Florida, and is spending the day campaigning in the state.)

Florida’s delegate count has been halved by the national Republican Party, and eliminated completely by the Democrats, though many in the state expect it to be restored to full strength before the national party conventions this summer.

– CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: Florida
  1. Sam

This is the problem with "early voting". People are going to vote before the candidates have a chance to get to Florida and talk with them. We have seen that candidates, in person, can influence how a person votes. The voter has an opportunity to ask questions and/or listen to answers that relate to their state issues. "Early voting" is NOT a good idea.

January 14, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  2. Teacher

Weeeeeeeee no paper trail now.No chads.Just rigged voting machines and uneducated voters.

January 14, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  3. william walsh columbus ohio

fla,--- lower alabama, wale we heer in floorrida like ta think wees prity smert about thees eelecchuns, but weel take muny frum inny wun if thae onet us ta say thae win,,,,

January 14, 2008 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  4. Former NY'er

Ask any current or former NY City Police Officer who was on the Job during the "Rudy" years, he's not all he's cracked up to be...we had to fight him in court for many, many years just to get the pay we deserved, just to be up to par with neighboring counties that have much less dangerous crime... Many NYPD will agree, we were very happy to see him gooooooooooo!

January 24, 2008 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  5. janet

All the criminals on here hates Rudy....that's funny. He was very tough on crime :)

January 24, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  6. Anonymous

Here in Florida I know many Democrats have re-registered as Republicans to try to sway the primary towards McCain. This is really screwing up the primary process. I think it would be best to not have primary election and let the party choose their candidate in private.

January 26, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  7. mirella

VERY DISAPPOINTED!!

I became a citizen two years ago, mostly to obtain voting rights. When I went to vote today, I was not allowed to vote for my favored candidate because I had previously chosen to register neither as Democrat or Republican. Shouldn't this information be private?
    When I was asked to declare my affiliation, I wasn't warned that by not answering
    I would give up my right to vote for the presidential candidate of my choosing.

Is this democracy???