January 15th, 2008

CNN=Politics Daily

CNN=Politics Daily is The Best Political Podcast from the Best Political Team.

CNN=Politics Daily is The Best Political Podcast from the Best Political Team.

(CNN) - As Jack Cafferty would say, it's getting ugly out there.  Senior Political Correspondent Candy Crowley reports on days of racial sparring between the camps of Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-New York, and Sen. Barack Obama, D-Illinois.

All eyes have been on Michigan and its economic woes as Tuesday's GOP primary approaches.  Dana Bash reports on what the leading Republican presidential candidates are doing in Michigan to win over voters concerned about the state's lagging economy.

Wolf Blitzer also speaks with Michigan Governor Jennifer Granholm on her state's economic situation and why Sen. Hillary Clinton is the only leading Democrat on the ballot in Michigan's Democratic primary.

Finally, Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider reports on a new CNN/Los Angeles Times/Politico poll of likely California primary voters conducted by Opinion Research Corporation.

Click here to subscribe to CNN=Politics Daily.

–CNN Associate Producer Martina Stewart

1. June (California Voter)

Us Californians have a lot to say.
    I made up my mind yesterday that I was going to vote for Hillary Clinton,it is not because she is a woman either. She is more moderate than Obama.
    She will bring change from the Bush Years.
    But this race bickering is stupid,we want to here the issues.
    We want to beat the Republicans in November but if this racial stuff keeps on going the Republicans will get a free ticket to the white house.

January 14, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  2. Friends don’t let friends post drunk

These undoubtedly, calculating allusions to race by the Clintons only serve to isolate Obama from white and other non-black Americans. It is evident considering the history and the prejudice that is STILL prevalent in this country that discussions of race would only facilitate ignorance and ultimately hurt the Obama campaign.

If divisiveness and bigotry is the order of the day, then well done Bill and Hilary.

January 15, 2008 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  3. JOBS, JOBS, JOBS

Romney Economy, I love it when he said JOBS JOBS JOBS.

McCain is a Rambo, but I need a job not a war.

Bam Bam and HIllary seem like a couple of emos

January 15, 2008 12:31 am at 12:31 am |
  4. HoneypotGlen

Hello,

Having experienced Mitt Romney as governor here in Massachusetts, I wish to express my impressions of him as a leader.

I typically vote Republican, because I generally believe in supply side economics as a way to stimulate economic growth. In the spirit of this, Mr. Romney promised to lower taxes as governor, even though the state faced a deficit. To achieve his economic agenda, however, he cut state aid to all cities and towns so significantly, that most municipalities needed to pass large budget overrides just to keep basic services going and minimize layoffs in their school systems, and other areas.

What made this particularly difficult, is that this happened during the dot com bust when many people were losing their jobs. Though no one likes taxes, at least income taxes are dependent upon income, so there is protection with job loss. Town budget overrides are factored into peoples property tax, which is based on the value of their home. Even when unemployed, the homeowners need to pay the tax increase. My property tax, as an example, went from about $5k to $7-7.5k which is about a 40-50% increase.

To hear Mr. Romney during his presidential campaign speak of lowering taxes in Massachusetts to me sounds like Pontius Pilot saying he didn't kill Jesus. He implemented a tax policy that forced towns to raise property taxes, and then washed his hands of the matter and walked away as though he had nothing to do with it.

Obviously, I do not expect anyone reading this to take the word of an anonymous poster at face value, but I encourage people to check the facts for themselves. I hope someone in the media takes a poll of all town managers and/or mayors in Massachusetts regarding this topic (both Democratic and Republican). I am confident that the results will back what I am telling you.

I noticed after New Hampshire, that Romney said "I will win Michigan." In contrast, Sen. McCain said "we will win Michigan." Maybe this is a bit subtle, but to me it reflects what Mitt Romney is all about. Mitt Romney is primarily interested in himself, and his desire to be president. At least Mr. Huckabee and Sen. McCain seem to be primarily interested in serving their country.

From my perspective Mr. Romney is a shameless fraud that used Massachusetts solely for his presidential ambitions with little regard to the well being of the citizens of this commonwealth.

Good luck and God bless.

January 15, 2008 01:26 am at 1:26 am |
  5. Bam-Bam Vs Hillarious

Bam Bam Versus Hillarious in Vegas, these couple of clowns should be a circus, circus.

January 15, 2008 01:39 am at 1:39 am |
  6. WhiteValueSystem

Obama attends a church that subscribes to the “Black Values System”.

What would Obama or Black people in general think if Clinton attends a church with "White Values System'?

January 15, 2008 03:19 am at 3:19 am |
  7. s.positive

Screw you, WILL you get of this race divide stuff and for once check out whose policy is best for AMERICA mr or ms WhiteValue System... AMERICA is and will always be the issue here...

January 15, 2008 06:51 am at 6:51 am |
  8. charlotte

RE: MICHIGAN....I'M CURIOUS, DOESN'T EVERY STATE HAVE A PLACE FOR WRITE-IN CANDIDATES? IF NOT THEY SHOULD. FLORIDA SHOWED US NOT ALL BALLOTS ARE THE SAME, BUT I THOUGHT THEY ALL HAD THAT FEATURE. FDR WON A THIRD TERM AS A WRITE-IN, HE DIDN'T EVEN RUN FOR RE-ELECTION.

January 15, 2008 06:59 am at 6:59 am |
  9. Christine

To answer Charlotte, yes, there is a place to put write-ins, but unfortunately you also have to declare yourself eligible to be a write-in candidate. Neither Edwards nor Obama did this by the deadline (which I believe was last week). So...you can write in anyone you want, but your vote won't count.

On something else...did anyone happen to catch Romney on Larry King Live last night, when he noted that he wanted to help save the middle-income people, you know, the people who make under $200,000?

Ummm...really? Since when was $200,000 considered "middle income"? Perhaps in Romney's world it is, but in most people's world, I would imagine that $200K is considered to be a touch more than middle-income, no? AND that most people who make over that mark were likely offended because they consider themselves upper-income and don't want to be pinned in with those "middle-class folk." :-)

Way to go Romney...proving once again how incredibly out of touch you are with reality. Nice guy, but as Huckabee has said, he really does remind you of "the guy who laid you off." :-)

January 15, 2008 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  10. Krystyna

I'm tired of the "game" between both candidates.
    I feel that the comments from Mr Obama are in to racial issue and unfare for the
    anyone and is not needed.
    Mrs Clinton is just trying to push away the remarks turnet on her by Obama.
    I feel she is stron and more confidant in to Presidency then Mr Obama.
    I hope Americans will make good chose.
    Good luch!!!! for both candidates, but my vote will go to Lady Clinton.

January 15, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  11. Sandra

Keep it up Hilly and Obama!! I don't think childishness ever won the Whitehouse.
    Step in Edwards and make them history.

January 15, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  12. charlotte

Thank you, Christine I was really curious. Now I'm curious as to why they didn't declare they were in the race?

January 15, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  13. AJ, IL

Why is Hillary Clinton's name the only one on the Democratic ballet, when the Democratic National Committeee (DNC) penalized Michigan Democratic party for moving up its primary without the consultation of the DNC and both Obama and Edwards removed their names already?

I smell something fishy here....

January 15, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  14. Dont be a Fool

I beg the people of this country not to be sucked into the rhetoric of supposed change. Dont all of you realize...candidates only say what you want to hear...they have not presented any true plans for change...listen closely to them during the next debate you will hear no action. It is time for true reform...a reform in our economy, reform in our government structure. Think about this!!! We have become enslaved by the economy of China...we are borrowing money from them to pay our bills. What's up with that? We need an industrial revolution in this country, we need to grow our economy, we need to regain our independence...If you dont think this is true..Look at the pump, look at the housing market, look at the soon to be recession. Paul is an economist...everything you hold true...your home your livelyhood is all based on what will or is happening to our economy. God Bless America!

January 15, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  15. d

To Christine and the "middle class americans"...........$200,000 of what Romney is speaking of INCLUDES a VAST amount of small business owners who file their taxes Sub-S. The business income is reported on the owners personal income taxes even though they actually do not earn that amount personally. I don't understand why some people do not understand this. These small business owners do not make alot of money. Furthermore, much of the company's money is reinvested into the company to pay for their employees, payroll taxes, inventory, building upkeep, whatever. These small business owners are the backbone of this country. I think you should all read up on this aspect of the small business owner.

January 15, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  16. May,san diego,California

I must say I have made up my mind now to vote for Obamas because Clintons have been so divisive in this campaign than anything. My family have joined me to campaign this. We are latinos and we don't wanna be reminded everyday we are latinos. We want to live in America like human being and that message is ressonating with my fellow latins.

January 15, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  17. Naomi, las angelas Ca

I was so much into hillary till I figured how divisive she is. On the side, if Obama wins this race, we will be steps ahead to recognize that anybody born in America can be anything they would like. Clintons are really white and even If I would love to see a woman president, definately not this woman!

January 15, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |