January 19th, 2008

Clinton wins precinct tie with queen of hearts

(CNN) – You know you're in Vegas when victory at a caucus precinct comes in the form of a card draw.

On Saturday, Sen. Hillary Clinton won the caucus at Mojave High School in North Las Vegas when one of her supporters pulled out the queen of hearts - besting the 10 of spades for Obama.

Tom Komenda, a Clinton supporter, told CNN there was an even number of supporters for the two candidates - 48 each. But the caucus had five delegates, so they couldn't be split evenly.

How to break the tie? A good old fashioned card draw.

Komenda - who sent CNN the story via I-Report - said a sealed deck was unwrapped. But as the shuffling started, he was concerned that the shuffler might have been shuffling in a way that exposed the faces of the cards to some of the nervous onlookers.

"I said, 'Wait wait wait - if we have to do this idiotic thing with cards, we're going to shuffle them the way they're supposed to be shuffled,'" he told CNN, laughing. "Then they said, 'If you want to shuffle, come down here and shuffle. So I went down and shuffled!"

Komenda says an Obama supporter drew first, and up came the ten of spades. Next, a Clinton supporter drew, and a queen of hearts decided the tie-breaker in favor of Clinton. So the final delegate count was two delegates for Obama, and three for Clinton.

It all ended, he said, in "cheers from one side of the room, groans and boos from the other."

Those cheering ended up rewarding Komenda - he was chosen to be one of the delegates for Clinton.

–CNN's Josh Levs

Filed under: Nevada
  1. Jed in Texas

Lets just call it a CRAP SHOOT. LOL And the Crap won .

January 19, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  2. Tom Davie

Cmon Obama supporters

SPIN this one.

this is actually a 'destiny' card.

Just like a 'destiny' card in NH where everyone and their dog predicted her to lose.

Evne in the EXIT polls , clinton lost.

Funny how answering question in a SOCIAL setting changes the answers.

side note:

What happened to poor john edwards? 4% of the vote????

January 19, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  3. jaco

where is Karl Rove?

January 19, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  4. Mike

Let rigged election be just like those cards!

January 19, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  5. Gavin Indiana HRC 08

THANK GOODNESS SENATOR CLINTON WON!

I'm glad Latinos rejected the outrageous and vindictive Obama radio Ad against Clinton...

VIVA CLINTON!

January 19, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  6. Katherine

Why is it that it looks like Obama got more delegates than CLinton, and if so, why doesn't the media report that he is AHEAD in delegates. . . let that create the momentum, not the meaningless percentages.

January 19, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  7. Timothy

I am not American but this is why America will always be the way it is. Too bad Americans will die trying to fight for what is right and will never get it!

January 19, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  8. Richie

My mind tells me this is not clean election and it's time for me to roll and mind my business...

January 19, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  9. Art in Hammond

tradition or not, don't you all think its a bit idiotic to decide who gets the extra delegate by drawing cards?
    ...... what happened to the good old duels? ;)

January 19, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  10. Surge

I can't wait to see the Obama supporters claim a Clinton conspiracy to slip a fake card into the deck.

Looks like all Obama's cynical race-baiting, gender & Latino exploitation isn't working anymore. And now Rev. Buttes in NYC has just endorsed Clinton.

Teehee

January 19, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  11. Ann

This is funny.. if the cards would give Obama one more delegate, you'd all make fun
    "hey Bill, even the dices love Obama". Well, the cards didn't like Obama!

Queen of hearts, this was a good one!

January 19, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  12. Mario

Uh huh, playing the trace card again CNN! "10 of spades" you idiots just can't get over it can you!

CNN, Creepy News Network

January 19, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  13. brad

Obama wins with more delagates than clinton!!!! YAH!!!!!!!!!!!

January 19, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  14. Walter

Well, I have o say that was a odd way to select a winner and to declare a win. But a win is just that, a win! I want to say I recently had a chance to meet with Hillary at a roundtable talk and WOW, I walked away speechless. I also had the same chance with an Obama rally and left out empty, yeah excited but EMPTY. Empty promise's, empty hope's and mainly EMPTY Dream's of getting America back where it need's to be. I figured out even more why I wanted her to have my vote. I have been a great Fan of her's since her day's as the first lady and had always said, I hope she ran for President. But the truth is although I had said that I never said she would get my vote. I have weighed both side's, looked at both's experience (the truth is neither of them have experience as THE PRESIDENT), what they are promising and what each one of them have done so far, it clear who should win. She shows a great deal of support for Middle Class American's. People keep saying about race, but take the color of your skin away and look at it. Vote for someone that wants what we need. I want to Challenge each and every one of you to go out, go to a rally for each of your favorite hopeful's and then make your decision.

January 19, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  15. Nik T

While Obama might have more delegates, Hillary has more delegates overall.. by about 100!! IF you want to get technical, HIllary STILL comes out winning. It's about time people realize that while OBama speaks nice and preaches, he has no substance and he hasn't said anything about how he plans to implement the changes he proposes. His lack of experience makes him unelectable. I'll tell you what, OBama supporters: let's pick Obama for VP and let him get on-the-job training with Clinton, and I will vote for him in 8 years (after Hillary's 2 terms).

January 19, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  16. Michael

So Latinos can't support a black man huh!! Well we as black americans need to send a message to these latinos and show them that we will support our own candidate. Latinos needs whites to help soften their stance on immigration. Well this will backfire. We will not let latinos treat our candidate this way. If they want to support a candidate because of the color then we will do the same for Barack. GO BARACK!!!

January 19, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  17. Obama 08

...and this is a democracy??

January 19, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  18. David Snider

Obama leads in delegates by 2...lol

January 19, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  19. Joe

Roll dice, draw cards,whatever you want...were all going to HELL if
    Hillary wins....so I'll just have another ice cold BEER....aaahhhhh!!!

January 19, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  20. Ella

If Hilary wins the nomination I will vote republican
    I am a woman but I will never vote for Hilary.
    I dont know who is running for president..Bill or Hilary.
    Where would she be without Bill

Another term with the Clintons, then Jena Bush becomes president, then Chelsea becomes president pease

January 19, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  21. Lina

If Hillary supposedly has no chance in hell winning against the GOP. What makes you so certain that Obama would be a shoe-in for presidency? How are we supposed to trust a man that NOBODY knew before 2007? And is lucked out for having a very limited public record having missed 88% of the senate votes.

January 19, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  22. Tom Davie

Hillary is leading in the Delagate votes by a HUGE margin to even encompass Edwards votes.

She has 220 to obamas 122 or something.

Its acutally embarassing that the candidate with 6% less vote wins MORE delegates. Its not democratic. Bill Clinton was obviously right.

In 2012, I would prefer it be a private vote so there is no peer pressure , and just award the delegates on a popular vote.

January 19, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  23. Hillary's Hates CATS

Hillary's supporters are an angry bunch.

Hillary is a woman scorn, but America owes her nothing.

Why are all of Hillary's supporters so angry.

January 19, 2008 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  24. ibeam

If Hilliary is the Dem nom....than I'm voting for McCain =George Bush Jr.)..It looks like he will be the Rep nom...Now he has exp and great morals... I pray that Obama wins. I can't vote for the Clintons..I love my country too much..

January 19, 2008 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  25. sairefgm

To everyone

This has become too much for me. Please look at Hillary in the media and on TV, she does not look well. She appears to be drugged and out of it.

I cant understand for the life of me why bill is so desperate to win. he has had his chance. something is not right here people. something is wrong.

i watched campaign 08 tonight and i looked at the republican committee play movie clips of hillary and obama and it does not look good.

HIllary and I am sorry to say this will not work for her. She cannot stand against the republicans, she is not strong enough. she will crack.

January 19, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |