January 19th, 2008

Clinton wins precinct tie with queen of hearts

(CNN) – You know you're in Vegas when victory at a caucus precinct comes in the form of a card draw.

On Saturday, Sen. Hillary Clinton won the caucus at Mojave High School in North Las Vegas when one of her supporters pulled out the queen of hearts - besting the 10 of spades for Obama.

Tom Komenda, a Clinton supporter, told CNN there was an even number of supporters for the two candidates - 48 each. But the caucus had five delegates, so they couldn't be split evenly.

How to break the tie? A good old fashioned card draw.

Komenda - who sent CNN the story via I-Report - said a sealed deck was unwrapped. But as the shuffling started, he was concerned that the shuffler might have been shuffling in a way that exposed the faces of the cards to some of the nervous onlookers.

"I said, 'Wait wait wait - if we have to do this idiotic thing with cards, we're going to shuffle them the way they're supposed to be shuffled,'" he told CNN, laughing. "Then they said, 'If you want to shuffle, come down here and shuffle. So I went down and shuffled!"

Komenda says an Obama supporter drew first, and up came the ten of spades. Next, a Clinton supporter drew, and a queen of hearts decided the tie-breaker in favor of Clinton. So the final delegate count was two delegates for Obama, and three for Clinton.

It all ended, he said, in "cheers from one side of the room, groans and boos from the other."

Those cheering ended up rewarding Komenda - he was chosen to be one of the delegates for Clinton.

–CNN's Josh Levs

Filed under: Nevada
  1. Eric

Statement by Nevada Democratic Party Chair Jill Derby

Regarding the Nevada Caucus

(Las Vegas, Nev.) "Today, two out of three Nevadans who caucused chose a Democrat instead of a Republican for president. That is an overwhelming majority vote for a new direction. Just like in Iowa, what was awarded today were delegates to the county convention. No national convention delegates were awarded. The calculations of national convention delegates being circulated are based upon an assumption that delegate preferences will remain the same between now and April 2008. We look forward to our county and state conventions where we will choose the delegates for the nominee that Nevadans support."

January 19, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  2. Don

Delegates are a very strange beast. Nevada delegates will not truly be decided till April by the state party. It has been reported both ways tonight. The bigger picture looks as if Hillary will walk away with more delegates. Some delegate counts are pledged delegates. The fact tonight is that Hillary Clinton won overwhelmingly the popular vote in Nevada. She worked hard for that vote and should be congratulated. It goes to show you that the media, who assumed the union would give the vote to Obama, was once again wrong. I believe they will be wrong in SC also, as Hillary still has a strong base of support among African Americans. If you are proud of your canidate, it should not matter if its private or public. I would proudly stand up and tell everyone why I would vote for Hillary, and then back it up with fact.

January 19, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  3. Tom Davie pull your skirt down

Tom Davie glad SC does not matter in your eyes, but it does. I don't think african americans will fall for her BS. She will not change anyone's mind. See ya next week when she loses.

January 19, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  4. Eric

That's sad that a card pull decided...this could have meant a lot on who won the state.

January 19, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  5. Jorge

It is RIDICULOUS that Obama should take more delegates than Hillary!
    The system can hardly be more flawed...

January 19, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  6. Julie, Binghamton, NY

How can Obama say the only thing that matters is that he won more delegates? I mean, come on, the rules suppressed the majority vote, that doesn't matter? The only thing that matters is that he wins??? Does he care about fair elections?

January 19, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  7. Karen

Obama may not have won more delegates at this time. One calc is 12-13, the other 13-12. The State Democratic Party response..... see you at the convention!

January 19, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  8. Amy in Cincinnati

Obama 13 delegates, Hillary 12....The game is on, and oh baby, Obama will bring it home. I can't wait for South Carolina and Super Tuesday. Clintonistas, take a breath, because you're gonna need it. Do not underestimate the power of grassroots politics. Gotta go...I need to make another donation to Obama's campaign.

January 19, 2008 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  9. Jonathan Floriani

Same thing happened at Precint 3037 in Northern Nevada. It was a 41-41 tie and hillary took the win with a King vs. Obama's 2..

Playing poker with politics....

January 19, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  10. just me

Come on people. Nevada helped put Bush in office both times. Please don't look to them for guidance! Vote for someone who can actually get something done. Don't vote for someone who is going to continue the 50/50 split in congress.

January 19, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  11. Lynn

I agree with one of the writers above. I am a woman and a democrate. I will never support Hillary Clinton. Are the Clinton the best we can do as a party.?They have totally embarassed this party before and they will do the same again. They are both crooks! If Hillary wins the nomination, I will vote for the republican and hopefully that will be John McCain. If it is, he will get a tremendous amount of democrate, independent and latino and black vote.

January 19, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  12. eric

The way former president CLINTON interferes in the presidential race makes me wonder : who is really running this race ? we don t want a bicephale president . I d rather vote republican than having .i did not like G BUSCH at all .B CLINTON makes him look simpatic now

January 19, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  13. Maureen

Why is it that when Bush wins more delegates to the Electoral College than Gore, he wins the presidency, but when Obama wins more delegates than Hillary, he loses Nevada? This just does not make sense. Obama got 13 delegates in Nevada, Hillary got 12. That means he WON more delegates than she did. Therefore, he comes out on top...yet the media only reports a Hillary win. There is something seriously wrong here.

January 19, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  14. Veronica

I am a Hillary supporter, and I'm not at all angry. ;)

There is a delegate scorecard on CNN's website, and a tutorial about how the delegate selection and nominee selection process works. Many delegates are already listed there, even though their primaries haven't happened yet. Clinton is ahead by quite a large margin. And South Carolina has only 2 delegates.

Queen of Hearts. I love it.

January 19, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  15. Christian, Tampa FL

Queen of Hearts... Aww. :)

January 19, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  16. shaunM

I am from Vegas...and my precinct caucus was super fun and exciting....we had an intial count of 32 for Clinton and 31 for Obama , one annoying undecided, and about 8 Edwards supporters. So we had the opportunity to convince the 8 Edwards supporters to (needed 13 to be viable) to pick one side or the other. During that process the one undecided voter asked to be swayed one way or the other. The Obama people in desperation , ran over and started their spiel on why she should go to the Obama side. My friend went over and softly explained that we needed a leader with experience. One Obama supporter yelled out "Come on....I have things I need to do today!". The undecided voter promptly sat her self down with the Clinton supporters. It just goes to show you that sometimes, you should just keep your mouth shut. Ultimately, our precinct (which by the way is in a normal school, we do have a normal community here) picked Hillary Clinton. It was close, but 4 delegates to Obama and 5 To Hillary. I was chosen as one of the delegates for my precinct. I have never caucused before and I absolutely loved the process. Made me feel truly American. Proud. After it was announced that Hillary won our precinct, an Obama supporter exclaimed: "It doesn't matter, we're all on the same side.".

January 19, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  17. Walt, Belton, TX

Makes a lot of sense, picking the President by drawing from a deck of cards. Guess that beats lying some more.....

January 19, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  18. Roz

if billary wins the nominee, i shall also vote rep. praying its not romney for he reminds me too much of bush jr (devil in disguise).

January 19, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  19. FIRSTWOMAN4PRES

I hope supporters of Hill and Bill are Happy, because I have never seen a more DIVISIVE couple in my entire life. When she was about to loose in NH, wanted to play the "female" card and split the women against the men. Next she goes down to SC; she divides the Blacks against the Whites. Coming out of the Nevada she wants you to know it was the White Females and Latino vote that carried her this time. SO what might I ask are you to say if you are Asian, or if you are an Indian American, oops I am sorry your vote doesn't matter because it is time to DIVIDE OVER RACE, AND GENDER PRIDE Instead of recognize that ALL Americans are suffering, and care about the economy, healthcare and education. How pathetic, I would like to serve notice on those you pulling for her BEFORE her and campaign began 40% of Americans said they would not vote for her after what I have seen if HILLARY CLINTON IS THE CHOICE OF THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY I TOO AM VOTING McCain. At least I know I would get someone who lust for the white house wouldn't pit the whole county against each other.

January 19, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  20. mongoslayd

Nik T
    You spout your crap about experience and how Hillary has more but, let's not forget that her "experience" helped get us into a war that's gotten just a FEW American's killed and/or wounded. How come her "experience didn't tell her that the WMD arguement from the administration was crap? At the bare minimum, Obama had enough sense to realize it was a mistake. Oh yea, so did Hillary... 4 years later!

January 19, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  21. anon middle america

Joe January 19, 2008 8:24 pm ET

Roll dice, draw cards,whatever you want…we're all going to HELL if
    Hillary wins….so I'll just have another ice cold BEER….aaahhhhh!!!

^^^^^^^^Joe I think you need to add a little ;)

Naive little Obamafans don't understand that the GOP would NOT give him a free ride. If he and his supporters think that the campaign trail has been nasty – they ain't seen nothing yet (oh sorry now we'll be accused of fear mongering and scaring all the little lambs).

As to those who like to whine about Hillary's negative numbers, did they ever take a gander at Obama's which were even higher until Oprah stepped in?! BUT unfortunately OPRAH is the one who first played the race card in SC by invoking Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. AND then she and Obama and Michelle stood on the stage in the middle of the stadium and raised their fists in black unity!! Sorry but if that wasn't playing the racial card, did the rest of us miss something?? I'm willing to listen to how the African American community would view it if Hillary or Bill had done the same?

January 19, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  22. James

Go team Clinton!!!!!

January 19, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  23. Willy

How the cheesey Senator Clinton and her ilk keep alive is beyond me. The media is working overtime to keep there honey pie around. I guess some people are used to be bent over and over again.

January 19, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  24. Teejay

Reading some of the comments here, it seemed alot of folks do not know who actually triumphed in Nevada. H.Clinton may have won the popular vote in Nevada, but it was Obama who won more delegates. And thats what is most important in US presidential primaries.

# of delegates prior to Nevada caucus
    OBAMA = 25
    HILLARY = 24
    EDWARD = 18

Current # of delegates.
    OBAMA = 38
    HILLARY = 36
    EDWARD = 18

This is still a victory for all Obama Supporters. Congrats!

January 19, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  25. HillandBillMMM

QUEEN OF HEARTS? LAUGHABLE TRY QUEEN OF THE MOST DEVIOUS OFMEANS.DIVISIVE…DIVISIVE Hill and Bill have done it again only this time they have managed to do UNREPARAGEABLE DAMAGE TO THEIR PARTY. Lets start with the states: when she was about to loose in NH, wanted to play the "female" card and split the women against the men… on to SC; she divides the Blacks against the Whites. Coming out of the Nevada she wants you to know it was the White Females and Latino vote that carried her this time. SO what might I ask are you to say if you are Asian, or if you are an Indian American, oops I am sorry your vote doesn't matter because it is time to DIVIDE OVER RACE, AND GENDER PRIDE Instead of recognize that ALL Americans are suffering, and care about the economy, healthcare and education. How pathetic, I would like to serve notice on those you pulling for her BEFORE her and campaign began 40% of Americans said they would not vote for her after what I have seen if HILLARY CLINTON IS THE CHOICE OF THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY I TOO AM VOTING McCain. At least I know I would get someone who lust for the white house wouldn't pit the whole county against each other.

January 19, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |