January 19th, 2008

Clinton wins precinct tie with queen of hearts

(CNN) – You know you're in Vegas when victory at a caucus precinct comes in the form of a card draw.

On Saturday, Sen. Hillary Clinton won the caucus at Mojave High School in North Las Vegas when one of her supporters pulled out the queen of hearts - besting the 10 of spades for Obama.

Tom Komenda, a Clinton supporter, told CNN there was an even number of supporters for the two candidates - 48 each. But the caucus had five delegates, so they couldn't be split evenly.

How to break the tie? A good old fashioned card draw.

Komenda - who sent CNN the story via I-Report - said a sealed deck was unwrapped. But as the shuffling started, he was concerned that the shuffler might have been shuffling in a way that exposed the faces of the cards to some of the nervous onlookers.

"I said, 'Wait wait wait - if we have to do this idiotic thing with cards, we're going to shuffle them the way they're supposed to be shuffled,'" he told CNN, laughing. "Then they said, 'If you want to shuffle, come down here and shuffle. So I went down and shuffled!"

Komenda says an Obama supporter drew first, and up came the ten of spades. Next, a Clinton supporter drew, and a queen of hearts decided the tie-breaker in favor of Clinton. So the final delegate count was two delegates for Obama, and three for Clinton.

It all ended, he said, in "cheers from one side of the room, groans and boos from the other."

Those cheering ended up rewarding Komenda - he was chosen to be one of the delegates for Clinton.

–CNN's Josh Levs

Filed under: Nevada
  1. Esperanza

I can't beleive that up to now the media can not accept that they can not manipulate the viewers. They seem to compete with the Clintons who can best influence the people in general. Two States have proven that, media lose! Media can not accept losing because they have to highlight what happen in NEVADA with the delegates when in fact the delegates has not been decided yet. If they have to clarify things then make it complete and factual. Viewers are not stupid! Too bad I am beginning to believe that we can not trust the media anymore.

January 20, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  2. Christine

I agree. Why doesn't CNN spin that, because of the distribution of delegates, Obama actually won more Nevada convention delegates than Hilary. They keep focussing on the Vegas strip caucauses that were poorly attended compared to estimated and not Reno where Obama swept the caucuses.

Obama is still winning because the state awarded him more delegates than Clinton.

He's ahead by two.

I'd rather focus on the fact that before Richardson dropped out the Democrats had an African American, a woman, a white male and a Hispanic.

On the Republican side we got . . . . (well you do the math.)

Regardless of who wins, this is a historic election year. My daughter will be voting for the first time. The energy in the house is electric about the possibilities.

Now – if the candidates would stop slinging mud and set and example for her.

I can dream, can't I?

January 20, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  3. Rose

CNN, please allow my rights to express Freedom of Speech.
    I have heard, read and listened to every pundit praise the win of McCain and so underplay the win of Senator Clinton. Gender bias is ramped and I am disgusted. Before everyone thinks their candidate is a winner, Mayor Bloomberg may be the spoiler. He may consider the Independent run and after all the work these candidates have done to date, that idea undermines ALL their debates, raising money, speeches, town after town. I think it's a nasty move or consideration. He has deep pockets and can support his own run. But, I think it's a cheap shot! He was a Democrat, a Republican and now Independent. When he changed this last time and said over and again he has no intentions of running, makes him insincere.

January 20, 2008 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  4. OJC, PHX, AZ

Man, I love Vegas. You can decide anything with a deck of cards and a whole lot of money.

January 20, 2008 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  5. Mich

it constantly amazes me how Americans want change but yet they all rush out to vote for Hillary or should we say Bill.
    Another Clinton dynasty is NOT change!!!
    If democracy were meant to be that way Americans would still be voting for the ancestors of Abe Lincoln!
    If she gets the nomination nod the republicans will get in for sure
    lets hope she is smart enough to realize a Clinton/Obama ticket is a SURE win
    my vote would be for Obama
    he does represent real change!!!!

January 20, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  6. Louis, New York

Amazing, our future on a card draw.
    A popularity contest.
    A black vs woman argument.

Sorry, I thought we should select a leader based upon REAL credentials, not made up ones. Not a roll of the dice or a crap shoot.

It's good that we aren't doing anything important here, like picking the next leader of the free world or anything!

We get what we deserve.

Anyone but Hillary '08

January 20, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  7. Hawk,Texas

I am simply amazed at the people that write here that do not take the time to study all the news and weed out the chaff from the news fodder. our news media never tells the whole story. they twist and contort the truth. and all you people that call yourselves democrats and say you will vote republican are all lying to yourselves. you are nothing but republicans. do you like what obama said about reagan. it shows that he is an unknown when it comes to what party he belongs to. remember liberman.

January 20, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  8. tom

woohoo!! thank you Nevada........God bless the U.S.A....

January 20, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  9. Tom Davie is on anon middle america's lap

Glad that the Hill people think this race is over. Soooooooooo gullible.

January 20, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  10. tom

if you want real change ..give a woman a shot

January 20, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  11. NextPresident

They are indicated that Hillbillary won majority of the women voters in Nevada was that from all the hookers who feel they have a chance of getting a cigar from Bill in their Oval Orifice.

Enough with these people. The country needs change and Bill and Hillary are certainly not change but hinderance.

January 20, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  12. tom

i'm voting democrat no matter who wins..and so should you

January 20, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  13. Lynn

I'll admit that I'm an Obama supporter who will not vote for Hillary Clinton if she is the nominee. I would have voted for any of the other Democratic nominees, particularly Joe Biden, whom I initially supported. But here's the problem I have with Hillary Clinton: I simply do not like the way the Clintons play politics. They are dirty, mudslinging pols who are no different than what we have now in Bush/Rove. That's not what I want for the Democrats. I see John McCain as being much more honorable than the Clintons, and really not all that far off policy-wise from Hillary. Both of them would/will keep our troops in Iraq, mark my words. I'd rather someone of honor run the country than the Clintons. If the Dems stay in control of the House and/or Senate, no Republican will be able to get an anti-choice amendment to the constitution done, or stack the Supreme Court, unless the Dems cave in as they've done in the past. Then the Dems would have no one but themselves to blame. The bottom line is that with all of her ties to big business and lobbyists, I have no faith that a Hillary Clinton administration will differ significantly from any Republican administration.

As a Democrat, I simply cannot understand how other Democrats could condone what Hillary and Bill are doing. Aren't we supposed to at least try to do better than that? I don't feel I'll be "abandoning" my party, at least as I see it, if I vote against Bill and Hillary. And I certainly don't feel that I am bound to vote for Hillary simply because I'm a woman (how is it the least bit "feminist" to vote for a candidate simply because she is a woman?). We've got to do better than this.

January 20, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  14. rmsk- denmark

Do not worst your vote on Obama, he is not going to make it through to the white house.

Go Hillary

January 20, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  15. Mike T

What an absolute JOKE. Only in America.

January 20, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  16. Mike T

"If you don't like Hillary, and she turns out to be the nominee, then stay home and don't vote! "

No way. I will not stay home and let the Devil win. I will make sure to vote AGAiNST her if she happens t be the nominee. Whether that means voting for the Mormon Romney or Bush II, McCain. The Clintons CANNOT be allowed to have the presidency again. Wait and see how a HRC nomination will completely turn out the Republican base, and how many of us Democrats and Independents, will go out and vote against her if she is on the ballot.

January 20, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  17. Mike T

"To all of the Obama supporters who say "If she wins, I won't vote for her", if BHO wasn't running, who would you vote for? Edwards? IMHO, he is likely to be the VP."

I'm sorry, but I will NOT vote for Clinton. Period. I don't care who the VP is.

January 20, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  18. Taylor

"Also, people are free to vote however they want, but why is it that people on here are always threatening to vote for a republican if Hillary or Obama wins – good and loyal democrats, please get over your anger and support whomever the democratic nominee is."
    -----------–

I couldn't agree with this comment more. I don't understand why a person would be willing to vote against everything they stand for just because their candidate didn't win the nomination. You obviously aren't a true Democrat if you vote this way. How can you be pro-choice, want to end the war and everything else the Democratic party stands for and vote Republican because your candidate didn't win? I have someone I support but I'd rather have any of the Democrats in than a Republican.

January 20, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  19. Jane

Hillary won the popular vote. Congratulations should have come from the Obama camp, instead they spin the delegate count incorrectly! Hillary can win the general election even without all you Hillary haters. She is winning so far without you. She has won the last 3 in a row...I am counting Michigan. Obama should have stayed in there, but now the media keep forgetting to mention it. It counts. She counts! Go Hillary!

January 20, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  20. OBAMA 08

To Tom Davie: Both Bill and Hillary Clinton praised Ronald Regan as a leader for change and Bill Clinton started an "idea" forum in 1992 to generate ideas for democrats due to the fact that he stated the "Republicans" had all the ideas.

The clintons rewrite history, the media doesn't take them to task for it and the voters buy it.

Watch Meet the Press...Russert didn't just say it...he used direct quotes and played videos of both of their remarks. Hopefully Obama's campaign will be putting these out so voters can really decide!

Vote for whom you want...just don't do it on soundbites and a "race issue" that is largely being created and flamed by the press!!

January 20, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  21. Gary Mason

Why is everyone talking about the Nevada results without pointing out that Clinton collected exactly *582* more votes than Obama? While one may count that as a victory, the numbers wouldn't seem to mean a thing.

Except, of course, to the millions of sheep who will cast their own votes based upon what those before them did. This kind of democracy is responsible in large part for the speed at which we seem to be going down the tubes as a nation.

Oh, by the way, even with the 582 vote margin, Clinton won one less delegate than did Obama. In a REAL sense, that would seem to be a loss. Except, of course, for those sheep and what the numerical victory may mean to them.

Sometimes I despair.

January 20, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  22. WaaWaabama

582 more votes are 582 more electoral votes, NOT popular votes.

She won 51% of the electoral caucus votes and Barack 45%.

Please learn how the election process works. Jaysus.

State delegates for NV will be decided April 16th.

January 20, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  23. Mark, B'ham., Al.

It is a good thing this happened in Nevada, places like Harlem , Central L.A, South Chicago, Miami, and DC, it more likely would be solved by drawing guns instead of cards. Queen of Hearts definitely was a fix, but they probably pilled the Joker out of the deck which would be a more appropriate card for Billary!

January 20, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  24. Hillary 08

Nevada delegates are not awarded to any candidate until April.....so Obama is quite wrong when he says he won more delegates...no he didn't....ask Jill Derby of the Nevada State Democratic Committee.....she has explained it very understandably even for you Obama lovers!!!!

January 20, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  25. concerned citizen, Mesa, Arizona

Sound familiar Gore received more popular votes and got more delegate votes. I don't believe that will happen in the democratic party. Those delegates will go to the winner. Hillary Clinton. Go Girl!

January 20, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |