January 19th, 2008

Edwards campaign: presidential race a 'marathon, not a sprint'

(CNN) - The campaign of John Edwards, who will finish a distant third in Nevada - where he currently has just 4 percent of the vote, with 98 percent of precincts reporting – said tonight that “the race to the nomination is a marathon and not a sprint."

Edwards has focused on the race in his birth state of South Carolina, avoiding the Nevada contest.

In a Saturday night statement, his campaign congratulated Hillary Clinton for her victory in the state, before noting that “John Edwards is the underdog in this campaign, facing two $100 million candidates."

They added that “...The race to the nomination is a marathon and not a sprint, and we’re committed to making sure the voices of all the voters in the remaining 47 states are heard. The nomination won’t be decided by win-loss records, but by delegates, and we’re ready to fight for every delegate.”

South Carolina’s Democrats head to the polls next Saturday.

Filed under: John Edwards
  1. Randolf Tucker

underdogs change from race to race, this is a new race

what bothers me is hillary's baggage and scandals, she is NOT for the middle class and has little to No connection with the middle class.

barack talks well, but knows very little facts or has a real plan to solve any issue. What bothers me most about him is the supports I saw yesterday in nevada were not able to speak english and had to have an interpeter to talk them through the caucus, so how could they fully understand his campaign speeches, our policies and be a true American if they don't speak the language.

Scary, I think Hillary and Barack will change the country in such a way, we will never get back to where we need to be. I will jump the fence and vote for McCain or Romney before I vote Hillary or Barack.

It is also obvious from Nevada that the popular vote does not count in our America, this is something we should ALL be VERY concerned about. We do all need to UNITE for this country.

January 20, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  2. Jacque Bauer

Typical trial lawyer – no way he can win and so he's plea bargaining for a payoff from the highest bidder. His ego and his money are Edwards' only real core values, forget about all of the campaign BS which is only a means towards these ends.

A decent man would have stayed home and taken care of his family which is in need. But there is nothing decent beneath the thin veneer of this charlatan.

January 20, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  3. Jose

Can't understand why we have to have this race over within the first few primaries? What sense does that make?

And after all Obama and Clinton both stole John Edward's message? But I know that doesn't matter to many out there that blindly follow where the media and political parties tell them to follow.

January 20, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  4. Ready for change in VA

The saddest part about the Nevada race is that more voters voted for Mitt Romney than voted for the entire lot of Democrats! Why? Because many Democrats, like myself, do not believe that Hillary or Obama can win. Moreover, we do NOT want either of them to be president. Obama refuses to say the pledge, was sworn in on a Koran, and goes to a militant radical church. Hillary did not even have the balls to stand up to her own husband and is in the pocket of big business; she could care less about the working class. If either of these candidates get the nomination, I will vote for a Republican for the first time in my life. It certainly looks as though some Democrats are already making the transition.

We need a moderate president who believes in boosting the working class. We need someone who has had to work hard for what he/she has now. John Edwards is the only candidate who was born to a mill worker, put himself through college, and worked his way to the top. He knows what it is like to be poor. If he doesn't get the nomination, I will pull for Ron Paul or an independant candidate. I know many Democrats who will not support the two leading nominees and refuse to vote for either one. They do not stand for what we stand for; John Edwards does!

January 20, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  5. wayne, kentucky

Edwards, show meaning to the working class. Support for this candidate is a great need.

January 20, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  6. Edwards Hallucinations

Edwards' 47th state is the State of Denial.

The Democrats' education policies have left them without the ability to count, which is okay since they don't count anyway.

January 20, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  7. Marko Dezdri, Portland, OR

GO HILLARY! You are my girl!

To all those Hillary haters. I bet anything you don't know anything about her..

I have proven this to be true time and time again: If a person doesn't like Hillary, they don't know Hillary. If you knew her, you'd love her.

Take the chance to know a wonderful person and the most prepared candidate ever in the United State history to ru for president. We need smarts and courage, not a daydreaming man.

Daydreaming will not solve US problems.

Hillary 08

January 20, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  8. Truethis

And Hillary does Sal.......Illinois? Who's really running for President Hillary or Bill Clinton?. We know Bill's experiences but do we honestly know Hillarys and that's the question Obama need to be asking.

The Republican will unite they was talking about this on FOX News this morning because they know that there are more Republican, Independents and 35% Democratics that would vote for Republican before Hillary. So......you Hillary supporters enjoy while it last........because if she become the Democratic nominee it's down hill back in the gutter and dirty politics that she's playing. Enjoy while it lasts.

January 20, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  9. bdc, phila, pa

stop complaining that edwards doesn't get "any" coverage. If you want to know why, look at Nevada. Its the same reason kucinich and gravel don't get any coverage.. He's not going to win so its a WASTE of coverage.

Speaking of, I wish those two would just get real and drop as well... that way the ticker at the bottom of the screen wouldn't have to refresh when we watch the primary votes come in... we can just watch barack v. billary votes come in... haha

January 20, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  10. Michael, Whakatane, NZ

Edwards should hang in there. Although I think that Obama is the best candidate and also can not stand Clinton, the reality is that primary politics are not just about the monination, it is also about the Democratic Party Platform. As someone else pointed out, having some delegates will help to influence that platform. Edwards, as a trial lawyer, knows first hand that corporate ruthlessnes and unbridled power and influence is not a good thing. It is amazing that people who are committed to free enterprise think that these mega-corporations are an offshoot of that concept. They survivie due to arcane rules regarding lobbying and influence peddling. Much more is spent on corporate welfare then on human welfare. Edwards can help influence stronger policy opposing the pro-corporate/anti-business mentality that currently permeates society.

January 20, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  11. AJ, IL

Marko Dezdri of Portland, OR ...You are incorrect. I do know Hillary, well at least enough of her. I know that Hillary was a leader of the group called the Young Republicans in college and supported Republican Senator Barry Goldwater (the guy was AGAINST the CIVIL RIGHTS ACT of 1964) for President. I know that Hillary came of law school and worked at the oldest law firm in Arkansas, Rose Law Firm, to become parnter in a mere 4 years. Meanwhile she did work in large organizations for pro-women and pro-children rights. She continued working for pro-women and pro-children rights as the First Lady of Arkansas and First Lady of the US. I know that she has been married to Bill Clinton for ~35 years of which half of those years involved multiple allegations against Bill Clinton for sexual affairs and sexual harrassments. I know that Hillary's highest public policy role in the Bill Clinton Administration involved National Healthcare in which she failed to get passed with a majority Democratic Congress. I know that Hillary Clinton made a last minute decision to run for New York Senator while she actually lived in DC.

I do know alot about Hillary and there is not much that I like.

OBAMA in 08!

January 20, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  12. concerned citizen, Mesa, Arizona

Same old tired story that Hillary is not electable. She has proven this not true over and over. If you would really look at what she wants for the country she is not the same as Bill Clinton. She does differ on some of his ideas. I think she is tough enough to take on the big boys from the Republican party. You guys need to quit attacking her on old news stories and decide on what she wants for the american people. If you want to vote against her on that that is fine but this crap of bringing up the republican lines about her is stupid. I use my god given brain to make an intelligent decision on who to vote for not what the media tells me.

January 20, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  13. Workerman

To JJ Monterey, CA,

I guess the truth hits home. Please don't take my word for it. Find out for yourself. Google it. My duty as an American is to educate the uninformed and the naive, also known as Hillary supporters. I hope every Obama and Edwards supporter will copy my post and e-mail it to all their contacts. Lets shine some light on the truth about Hillary.

Hillary is bought and paid for by the big business insiders.

I know you don't want REAL issues to get in the way of the "girl power" crap that is propelling Hillary's campaign.

January 20, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  14. JB

In last-place Edwards case it's neither a sprint or a marathon; it's the Special Olympics of presidential politics.

January 20, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  15. Vanessa (SC)

Hmmm....after reading all the posts, it seems that the most reasonable choice would be an Obama/Clinton (president/vice-president ticket). Historic, revolutionary and changing. Edwards can get a cabinet post. I'll mull that over as I prepare to vote Saturday.

January 20, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  16. pam Eugene OR

After reading all the posts there is one thing that is so clear. Our party is broken. There is so much hate I am not sure it can be fixed. There is so much..."if my person doesn't win...I vote Republican, stay home, just off a bridge or look for a 3rd party. All these comments insure a Republican for the next 4-8 ears. I don't know the answer but it is obvious we democrats better get our act together soon. My best solution is Edwards to throw his support to Obama but I am sure there is an equal amount of people that feel his support should go to Clinton. We need to take a serious look after SC as to the what is best for our party. This is only working for the Republicans.

January 20, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  17. Lee

Question from the floor:

To Edwards – What did your Dad do again?

OH RIGHT

He was a mill worker – Geeze get a new line.

Edwards needs ta tuck and scoot

January 20, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  18. D Schulte

John Edwards is right. But I believe he'll need to tie together the most important concern on American's minds – the state of the economy – with what seems to be a major theme for his campaign, which is the influence of special interests and lobbyists financing campaigns and controlling the policy of this country to such an extent that the best interests of individual Americans cannot be attained. It may be difficult to tie them together in a 10-second sound bite but I hope he can do it because this isn't a class-warfare, but it certainly is economic warfare and the majority of Americans are losing.

January 20, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  19. alan

Edwards should give it up already. –While he still can exit gracefully. –Before what ever is left of his dignity gets trampled by Super Tuesday. Sorry, buddy. You ain't got it, ain't never had it, and ain't gonna get it. Bye-Bye.

January 20, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  20. Tony (VA)

People, can't you all see the light? It's time for Edwards to quit. He is just wasting his time and energy. His supporters are also wasting their time, energy, and votes. It's time he calls it good bye. He is a loser. I don't even see him wining in any other states. Even though he is probably not gonna do it but I think it's time for Edwards to tell his fans to vote for Hillary Clinton.

Hillary Rodham Clinton for President 2008!!!

January 20, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  21. Dee

John Edwards doesn’t get the coverage from the media, especially like the Clintons!
    I support Obama as a favorite.. but would like to see more on Edwards, instead
    I see a commercial that Hillary aired and its play out! Too much.
    Also the racism story dominates and is more of an interest than Edwards news.
    Not much on the Edwards The media does play favoritism and its obvious!
    The media needs to cover everyone, not just the ones they like and can influence viewers!

January 20, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  22. Kathy

Concerned Citizen:

When exactly has Hillary proven "over and over" that she is electable? Her only victory in an actual election is to the New York Senate, not exactly the hardest thing in the world for a Democrat to do. She lost Iowa. She barely won New Hampshire. Even with no other front runners' name on the Michigan ballot she barely broke even. And even with a card draw in her favor Obama still got one more delegate out of Nevada than she did. And the important thing is that these are all Democrat-heavy races! Just wait until she is up against Republicans in a national race. Even if Bloomberg doesn't choose to enter the race and split her votes, there are a lot of Republicans who have been waiting for years to stick it to the Clintons. Voting for her now is just giving them that chance to rally.

January 21, 2008 02:27 am at 2:27 am |
  23. Paul

Good grief,,, if the republicans are divisive,, just what would you call democrats after reading these posts? United is sure not the first adjective that comes to mind. It is going to take years, perhaps a generation, to repair the damage done by Bush & Co. In a perfect world, Al Gore would have run and won the nomination hands down but such was not to be. As I see it,, Hilary is a puppet of special interests, Obama is a very capable man but I fear he is to too many voters a bit of a novelty that will wear off by the time election day comes. This leaves John Edwards, a gifted and sincere man whom I have no doubt would be a very able president. Unfortunately Edwards is no friend of the mega-corporations which in turn means he is no friend of the corporate owned media, and to be ignored by the media is to be religated to an also ran status before the race even starts.

That being said, as things stand now the best I can hope for is an Obama/Edwards ticket which I could and would whole heartedly support. Should it be Hilary,, well, lets just say my support would be half hearted but there, as this country cannot afford four more years of business as usual.

January 21, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |