January 19th, 2008

Exit polls: Huckabee leads evangelicals, McCain sees increase

(CNN) - John McCain is doing much better among evangelicals in South Carolina than he did in Iowa, according to CNN's exit polls, but Mike Huckabee is still the overwhelming favorite of the group.

According to the exit polls, 54 percent of South Carolina Republican primary voters identify themselves as "born again" evangelicals. Forty percent of them supported Huckabee, compared to 27 percent who favored McCain.

In Iowa, Huckabee won 46 percent support among the group, while McCain meanwhile garnered just 10 percent.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: John McCain • Mike Huckabee
  1. Mario

CNN is doing the race thing and the religious thing at the same time, wow you guy are good, I wish I could do that. We are told that we don't need race as an issue, so what does CNN do, they start a Clinton-obama war and run like heck with it.

Romney is a Mormon, and Hickupbee shoots off his fat beer hole about that. qwe are told religion shouldn't be an issue, yet you idiots at CNN make a big deal of "evangelical vote" in SC, when are these morons at CNN going to be so liberal, I don't see them say anything about the Clinton's. Why is that? you idiots are so one sided you must all be in love with yourselves.

Go Mitt!

January 19, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  2. ed woehr

Don't put to much weight in the Nevada caucus. When people arrived to vote they were told they could not vote because the door was closed and they were not allowed to vote. The caucus is a scam!!! Many people didn't vote which would have, changing the Nevada out come! We need to go back to a true PRIMARY!!!

January 19, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  3. Carrie

If Hillary wins the Democratic Nomination, I will vote for McCain.

January 19, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  4. Jen Cedar Falls, IA

Carrie, hopefully your Rep choice would be Romney/McCain or Romney/Thompson.
    Anybody but Clinton!

January 19, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  5. Chris, Jacksonville

If Hillary is the nominee, she will get whipped like a rented, red-haired mule. The Democrats are self-destructing again.

Where is the party for American's with common sense?

January 19, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  6. Jack

Carrie- The Democratic party doesn't want flickle losers like you. Go ahead and vote for McCain...

January 19, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  7. Mark

Does Huckabee have any support beyond the evangelical community? Let's see how well that guy does in CA

January 19, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  8. john

She'll ride the race and gender tide to the nomination. Then all hell will break
    loose.

January 19, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  9. wesley

i think cnn is exactly right about huckabee narrowing his following recently. I am a born again Christian and he has completely lost my trust because he appears to use his faith to gain votes. He preached two sermons at a church in Spartanburg SC. The last thing i would want would be for my pastor to invite any political candidate to the pulpit. This crosses the line for me and I do not think that it has turned some of the evangelical vote off that he was counting on as being an "automatic."

January 19, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  10. Romeny: JOBS JOBS JOBS

McCain supporters are old retirted white folks.

Romney supporters need to work and I need a job, Economy Romney all the way.

Hucabee needs to understand I don't need to be born again,
    I need to work again.

Why are all of Hillaries supporters so Angry?? America owes her nothing.

January 19, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  11. Carrie

Hey Jack! Sorry that I am not one sided like you. I am a moderate democrat. I really want Obama to win. But, democrats always pick the wrong candidate to win. In 92 and 96, I voted for Clinton. I am tired of the Clinton Machine. I want a candidate that will unite us. I don't believe Clinton can do that. Obama can and McCain can!

Obama 08

January 19, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  12. ed woehr

I'm with Carrie, If Hillary wins the Democratic Nomination, I will vote for McCain!!!

January 19, 2008 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  13. Simon Roedia

If Hillary wins the nomination I won't vote at all but I'd be glad to see her loose in the general election to whoever the Republican nominee will be.

January 19, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  14. Kate

"Hucabee needs to understand I don't need to be born again,
    I need to work again."

That's a great quote!!!!!!

January 19, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  15. Bill, Alabama

If Osama bin ladin ran against gay rights and against abortion, the far Christian right would support him.

I'm a Christian, but cannot support such a narrow minded biggot, who runs strictly on religion and not the issues that really need changing in this country.

January 19, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  16. Hillphil

If McCain wins the nomination I will vote Democrat.
    I've always voted Republican (To my sorrow)

January 19, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  17. Hillphil

If McCain wins the Democratic Nomination, I will vote Democrat.
    I'm Registered Republican.

January 19, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  18. Hillphil

If Hillary wins the Democratic Nomination, I will vote for McCain

I mean republican

January 19, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  19. AndyV

It's nice to see CNN once again treating the name of Ron Paul as taboo.

After placing 2nd in Nevada, he still not mentioned in their South Carolina reporting.

How are they are ever going to make face again with the american people once he is elected? Their bad policies and biased reporting will come back to haunt them....and the rest of MSM networks that are trying to censor Ron Pauls message.
    Shame on them all.

Ron Paul, the only true statesman.

January 19, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  20. Bill Strong, GA

It is about the economy stupid and no one comes close to the experience and success of Romney – the guys a powerhouse. Just got to get past his good looks. If I owned a company, that's the guy I'd want running it.

January 19, 2008 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  21. luis

I was a supporter of Obama in the beginning of his campaign, but I think this man just knows how to speak to people, and does not much experience to lead the country. I would rather vote for Hillary because she has more experience and has a record of helping people.

January 20, 2008 02:25 am at 2:25 am |
  22. Alice Newman Center Harbor NH

.... if Mitt is so wonderful, why did the major newspapers in Massachusetts and New Hampshire endorse McCain... what do they know that the rest of us don't?

How will Mitt do in the Massachusetts primary? People always think that an "expert" is anyone who comes from 50 miles out of town. Ask the people he attempted to govern and see what the real story is.

Mitt is the guy that can't even supervise his own lawn service – Mitt has undocumented workers mowing the grass and weeding the gardens: he hired the same company twice! By the way – did that landscape service get off scott free for breaking immigration laws or were they fined?

January 20, 2008 02:57 am at 2:57 am |
  23. No lib for president!

CNN is still trying to draw lines in the sand by saying who votes for what candidate. How would they know? they don't they want McCain and Hick boy Hickupbee to win, they know Romney is the true conservative and it drives them nuts!

Mitt Romney will win!

January 20, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  24. Rita

Hilary I'm so proud of you. You are what the world has been waiting for. Now my two girls who are by the way, honor roll students have truly seen a roll model besides me and their grandma. any time I see you speak, you bring tears of joy in my eyes. pls be more of yourself, because your at your best when you express your self from the bottom of your heart. You Mrs president to be, are a woman of courage, Value and deep commitment. You stood by your husband's side when the whole world was against him. You Hilary stood tall with class, and showed the world what family values and commitment are all about. All your life, you have devoted your life working for mothers and children and more especially for blacks and other minorities. You showed courage and strength when media and critics jumped all over you and called you all sorts of names but for one day you never showed weakness. As a mother, wife and registered nurse (bsn) by profession and a devoted christian, I pray for God almighty to give you grace under fire and the wisdom to follow and lead because the stake is too high. By the way, my husband and his friends think you are the best thing since slice of bread. So Chris Mathews of the world sit down and be respectful and far when reporting the news and not to make the news.

January 20, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |