January 19th, 2008
6 months ago

McCain looking to extend South Carolina poll hours

CONWAY, South Carolina (CNN) – A top backer for John McCain’s presidential bid tells CNN the Arizona senator's campaign is seeking a court order to extend voting in Horry County by one hour, after learning voting machines in this eastern part of the state were malfunctioning on primary day.

State Rep. Tracey Edge, R-Myrtle Beach, said the campaign was trying to find a circuit court judge to issue the ruling.

"We are seeking an order to extend the voting time, because of reported and publicized information that people were turned away from the polls,” Edge said.

All polls in the South Carolina Republican primary are scheduled to close at 7 p.m. ET. Complicating matters for McCain, the county has just one resident circuit court judge, who they have not yet been able to reach. McCain won Horry County when he ran for president in 2000.

The McCain campaign Saturday was telling supporters residing in this county to make sure their vote was counted.

Earlier in the day, Katon Dawson, chairman of the South Carolina Republican Party, said that he had confidence that the problem would be fixed.

“We expect a full and fair count,” Dawson said in a telephone interview with CNN. “In South Carolina, our citizens take the right to vote very seriously. We have full confidence in our state elections commission, which is running this primary. Any questions that have arisen are being addressed.”

Dawson noted that “there is always a backup in case there is an election machine malfunction and a ballot can’t be cast.”

Lisa Bourcier, public information for Horry County, said that 80 percent of the voting machines were back on-line as of 1:30 p.m. ET.

South Carolina was holding its Republican primary Saturday, a critical contest on the road to the GOP presidential nomination.

– CNN’s Lisa Desjardins and Mark Preston

Filed under: John McCain • South Carolina primary
  1. sharon walker

Dear Friends:

Please read How the Mind Works by Steven Pinker.

Vote for Senator John McCain.

The enemy is at thy feet.

January 19, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  2. sharon walker

Dear Friends:

Please read How the Mind Works by Steven Pinker.

Vote for Senator John McCain.

The enemy is at thy feet.

Romney would want the illegals to overtake this nation, cause a recession and
    bring home mortgages to the highest they ever have been in the history of the USA.
    LDS gets more 10% donations. Bring them on. Romney has no history of military conflict with his faith for him to be in command.

January 19, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  3. Mike VE

I am voting for MITT ROMNEY!!!!!

Mitt has not been in Washington for years like John McLaim, Clinton and Obama.

Mitt has held executive positions as a Govenor and in private business, Obama, Clinton and John McLaim have only worked in Washington they do not have a clue about private business or the American economy.

Mitt is a conservative that’s why the media hates him; John McLaim is a liberal just look who he associates with Kennedy, Feingold, the gang of 14, ect. and that’s why the media loves John McLaim.

Mitt is against amnesty for illegal aliens; Obama, Clinton and John McLaim are for amnesty for illegal aliens.

Mitt is for tax cuts, Obama, Clinton and John McLaim are against tax cuts and want to raise our taxes.

Mitt is for conservative judges, Obama, Clinton and John McLaim are for liberal judges.

Mitt wants to free Americans and American business from the federal government Obama, Clinton and John McLaim want big government and are responsible for big government we have.

Mitt will fight to protect this country and build a strong military; Obama, Clinton and John McLaim stood by when al-Qaeda attacked our interests in the 1990 and the 1980s.

Mitt Romney is the right change for America

Vote for Mitt!!!

January 19, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  4. cathie

They shouldn't let them be open longer, everything should had been ready to go in the first place, we don't need another hanging chad crap. I am surprised that McCain didn't go to Nevada, since he is from Arizona, and should care a little bit more about the western united states. Also surprised that Nevada didn't support him alittle bit more since he is from Arizona, but then again Nevada has smart people living there so I can see why they supported the best man for the job, Romney....

January 19, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  5. James

Americas future under John McCain.

2009 McCain takes office. Millions of illegal immigrants storm the US border to take advantage of his amnesty package and in the confusion terrorists slip into the country unnoticed.

2010 McCain's terrorists stage an attack. McCain blames Iran and sets up an invasion.

2011 Things are going poorly in Iran/Iraq the military is under intense pressure. McCain brings back the draft causing massive social unrest. By this point the economy is on the verge of collapse.

2012 McCain is attacked by deadly cancer and passes before the project Apocalypse December 2012.

An ELDERLY man with anger problems and ridiculous policies is in no position to run this country.

January 19, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  6. cathie

Hey Sharon Walker, Romney wants the illegals out of the United States, do you not listen to the debates What about 10% donations for the LDS, what??? So McCain was a POW that doesn't mean he would be a good military leader, (he got caught) maybe we need someone in there with fresh ideas, instead of war, war, war,....

January 19, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  7. tanah

Vote Ron Paul!
    If you really would have done your research you would know ron Paul is the only and best choice,
    He is the most conservative from them all that's why Fox News deleted his question in the debate re: vialbility and the refusal of Rep gop to cut the budget.

Barrel of gas is $100 because of debt and dollar devaluation.

See Alan's Greenspan's paper he wrote on 1977 re: need to return to gold standard...He agrees with Ron Paul!!

January 19, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  8. aw

Mitt Romney is the worst kind of politician. He stands for nothing until focus groups tell him what is popular with whomever he happens to be pandering to at the time. Worst flip-flopping politician ever. I want a President with honest conviction.

McCain has sold out his Straight Talk Express and is now barely popular in his (and mine) home state of Arizona. His momentum is pure inertia powered by his Presidential ambitions.

Huckabee is too narrowly religious for my tastes. He must respect the Taliban for forcing their closed-minded religion on the populace because that seems to be his goal here.

Hillary is too divisive and I'm just tired of the past 20 years of our nation's leaders coming from one of two families.

Obama is the only viable candidate left who seems to be honest and definitely has conviction. I think he could do a lot to bring this country back to some semblance of unity.

January 19, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  9. LQ Rochester MN

Sharon Walker and Mike VE – PLEASE stop regurgitating your same comments all over the ticker.
    Sharon, you need to start taking anti-racist meds judging from some of the other comments you have made.

And Mike, I had asked you in another topic where you posted this exact same post to please explain to me how Obama just stood by when AlQaida attacked our interests.

You 2 are unbelievable.

January 19, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  10. Jared

You might want to watch the debate with Ted Kennedy in 1994 before you call Mitt Romney a consevative! I can't vote for Mitt Romney. I will not vote for a Democrat but I cannot vote for Mitt Romney. The only candidate is more negatives than Mitt Romney is Hillary Clinton. If those are my two choices, it's the evil I know vs. the evil I don't know. Either way the country loses.

January 19, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  11. steve

the only enemies at thy feet are the ones who people will be voting for in SC.

anyone who tells you to be scared, and that they can help you not be scared: are lying fascists.

January 19, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  12. Jeremiah Grant, Phoenix, AZ

WAKE UP REPUBLICANS! – McAmnesty IS NO CONSERVATIVE. Just look at the exit polls. He can't win conservative voters. How on earth is that supposed to excite the base in November?

I find it laughable that John says "I know how to fix borders. I'm from a border state." Huh? If you know how to fix them, why haven't you done anything about them? More illegals cross into the US in AZ than any other state in the nation.

He flipped his finger to the 1st Amendment with that garbage McCain-Feingold legislation he wrote with the Left

He co-authored the biggest amnesty bill ever with that drunk from the left.....but now wants to flip-flop on that and play word games.

He voted against the federal ban on gay marriage.

He voted against the Bush tax cuts twice...but now wants to flip-flop on that issue as well.

He cost the GOP control of the Senate with that despicable Gang of 14 crap. He wants to tell you how he'll put conservative judges in place and yet he was the ring leader of the very undoing of Bush's attempts to put conservative judges in place.

Again I say, McAmnesty is no true conservative. The GOP can't trust him.

January 19, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  13. BeerWolf

Once again, we don't get to vote for who is best, but to decide which of these losers (from both parties) sucks the least!

January 19, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  14. Jeremiah Grant, Phoenix, AZ

What kind of sham is this on the part of McAmnesty? He wants to extend voting hours in a county he's projected to do very well in. Once again, McAmnesty takes a page out of the Democrat play book.

January 19, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  15. carolyn Dixon

the only way mccain can win in sc is to cheat – just like algore tried to do.
    apparently mac doesn't get it. he can't win republican conservative votes.
    hope he loses big tonight.

a huckabee win will be a victory for mitt and rudy.

if mcpain wins, fred will drop out and endorse him.

they all hate mitt because he understands economics and is a succesful businessman.

January 19, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  16. Matt

Ron Paul is really the best choice
    he is the only one who doesn't need focus groups to tell him how to vote.
    Smaller Government vote Ron Paul.

January 19, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  17. mike

So....Mitt wants the illegals out of this country? Except of course the ones he hires to work at his mansion...So many repubelicans...so many Hippocrates.....sigh....

January 19, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  18. Paul

I am curious why CNN showed everyone except RON PAUL..I guess I am starting to believe in my Democratic Grandfather who once said ...the Media is manipulated from the Elite group...I am not a conspiracy theorist...But by how I have seen Ron Paul treated from the Media Hmmm I think my Grandfather might be right....

Paul

January 19, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  19. cecimorr

Thank you Donna Brazil, you are insightful, practical, fair and unbias, Thank you for being there. I love your quick and intellectual ability. At the moment I am praying for MCCain, and can you belive, I am happy that Hillary won. They are two American Icons, and McCain is a true American Hero. He deserves to be President on that very first day. Many people wish McCain ill, because he is for comprehensive Immigration, he has a heart, which those who would start building fences and probably getting concentration camps ready, perhaps getting those ovens ready for the Hispanics in our country. If McCain does not get this nomination I will vote for Hillary a Democrat. My family 6 generations in the US., will vote for her since the first time since we voted for Kennedy.

January 19, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  20. DJ Pesola

I would have never been interested in politics at all until I read about Ron Paul. And I am 40 years old!

Why I like the platform of a Ron Paul Republican? 3 simple ideas to lead us.

1) a constitutionally limited federal government – Follow the Law of the Land, Our Constitution. It works.

2) promote peace and prosperity, but not by rule of force across a vast empire of military bases around the world.

3) a return to sound money based on something real (like gold coinage). Not paper money printed by a private bank for us and sold to us with interest. Then to not allow this central private bank to artificially "stimulate" the economy by lowering interest rates, virtually encouraging irresponsible spending across sectors, increasing our personal and national debts.

Don't even get me started on industry bailouts.

WAKE UP AMERICA. WE CAN STILL SAVE OUR REPUBLIC.

GOOGLE RON PAUL

please, for our life and our continued liberty. I'm dead serious.

January 20, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  21. Denice

I've researched ALL the candidates with a very opened mind, simply to get the facts. And from what I have learned, based on what they stand for and what their records prove, the best candidate is DR. Ron Paul on the republican side. I now support him with 100% certainty.

January 20, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |