January 19th, 2008

Exit Polls: Economy is top issue

(CNN) – Republicans named the economy as the most important issue affecting their vote in the South Carolina primary Saturday, according to early exit polling data, echoing Nevada voters in caucuses earlier in the day.

And, like Nevada voters, illegal immigration was the second most important issue. The war Iraq, followed by terrorism, were next, the exit polls showed.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: South Carolina
  1. Raymond, El Paso TX

Brent, Fairfax, VA ~ You're a joke. I'll bet you're also the one screaming (caps lock) about nothing being done to stop the flow of illegal immigrants. Too bad we need to hire more people to protect the borders. I'll bet you also support the war against terrorism. Too bad we're still spending billions upon billions doing that. I'll bet you don't drive on our highways or think nobody should be inspecting our food or the drugs we take to help us live longer. I'll bet you also vote straight Republican ticket.

The same party that has made government the biggest it's ever been. The same party that has pushed the deficit to the highest it's ever been. The same party that had full control for the past 7 years and managed to pi$$ away our children's economic future. I'll bet you're even going to send back that rebate check you'll soon be getting.

Ok I'm done, you can stick your head back in the sand so you can continue thinking for yourself.

January 20, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  2. Brent, Fairfax, VA

For those that think the Democrats are better for the economy...go ahead, elect Hillary. See what hosed-up really is when she loads us up with more entitlement programs and National Health Care. The higher taxes we will be paying won't be going to pay down the national debt, it will be going to finance bigger Govt. The burden she places on the American taxpayers, businessmen and corporations will shrink the US economy like you have never seen before. Don't equate the dot com phenonema of the 90's with Clinton...he had nothing to do with it....neither did Hillary.

January 20, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  3. Coonsey

IF that's the case then the voters have taken Karl Rove and George W. Bush's BAIT!

If I were President BUSH, I would have sent a SURGE of troops to Iraq back in 2007 to CURB the violence long enough to make it ‘appear’ that Iraq is turning for the better (even if the ‘reason’ given for the surge was to curb the violence so that the political parties could reconcile their differences) - at least through the November election in 2008.

I'd also send out signals from ‘my’ commerce department that the economy ‘may’ be going into a recession. I’d also be offering a HUGE TAX REBATE to American's before November of 2008 to help the GOP keep control of the White House.

After this emergency rebate/bill is passed, I’d make sure that American’s are told by the Commerce department that the U.S. was NEVER in a recession, it was just a low growth period - a slow down.

This is how I would get my Approval Ratings to increase to that 45% rate that my public relations people have predicted. Giving American’s money always raises approval ratings.

Getting the Iraq War to APPEAR to be on the way to success – BEFORE - I leave office is also a very good way to place ‘blame’ on the Democrats for Iraq going bad - later. If the Democrats begin to pull the troops in 2009 as they’ve all promised to do, and things go to pot – THEY WILL BE GIVEN THE BLAME --NOT ME.

(External link removed)

January 20, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  4. sairefgm

yes ron paul is the ANSWER TO EVERYTHING!!

YES RON PAUL IS THE ANSWER TO EVERYTHING which brings me to the only conclusion America do not want answers or change, they LOVE CHAOS.

January 20, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  5. Billie C. Snohomish WA

If the economy is your concern then consider this. Who really knows if keeping our troops in Iraq will or will not bring about the change we hope for in that country. No one. I do know that keeping troops there diverts millions of dollars from our ability to change and fix things here at home: unmanageable healthcare costs, embarrassing education results, aging bridges and infrastructure, gasoline crisis, damaging environmental impacts, immigration control, nearly insurmountable national debt, national security, etc. etc. etc. These things cannot wait for the Iraqi outcome. These things cannot wait at all. It is time to get over a win/lose mentality when it comes to Iraq and bring our troops home immediately and only a democratic president will do that. There is no shame in re-evaluating what the United States can and cannot do and reaching what is an obvious choice of economics. It is grossly irresponsible to choose the problems in Iraq over the problems here at home when we cannot afford to address both. Voting for a democratic president is voting to turn our country around for the better.

I’m an Obama supporter. He brings an optimism we haven’t seen since JFK. He’s intelligent-he’ll learn quickly. I want to give him that chance. I believe what America badly needs today is a president of hope. Besides, our presidents aren’t dictators. They have advisors and a congress. But I will vote democratic no matter who wins the nomination.

January 20, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  6. Leah Trantham

While I believe that the war in Iraq and the issue of illegeal immigration are national issues, the economy is more of a local and personal issue. Compared to other nations in the world, America has maintained a very high standard of living--actually quite inflated standards with the sense of entitlement as its base. Nowhere else in the world is education free (at least not in the sense that it is free in the US), nowhere else is food so abundant (provided for by the food stamps program, church programs, generous private individuals, other organizations), nowhere else are jobs avaliable (though looking at the unemployment rate, you'd think that there were absolutely no jobs available) in the same way as they are in the United Staes. The "normal" American should be able to maintain himself, his dignity, his integrity and stop believing that the issue of economy is because this patricular Democrat or Republican is in office. The issue of economy stars with personal responsibility.

January 20, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  7. Gene Pentiuk

If you follow the Congressial House Committee Conference in their session wtih Ben Beranke of the Federal Reserve time and time again his recommendation to Congress was that the future of our economic well being is that Congress must consider a FAIR AND SIMPLE TAX CODE and to amend Social Security ( he indicated that should have been amended as recommended 10 years ago.) It was absolutely amazing how many times his answers to the questions posed to him was to adopt a simple and fair tax code and to assure that government spending was controlled accordingly . Only Mike Huckabee of the presidential candidates has posed a solution accordingly == a major concern we should all ponder is who will pay what for all those new programs . Already our grand children are headed for bankrupcy .

January 20, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  8. Bob Sr.

Yes, the Republicans showed their Free Market, Global not for the average American mentality again with their positin on the Presidents Economy Plan. Well isn't it amazing two of the htree republicans has some type of enlightenlement when it comes to illegal workers. One says thta he has now learned we want the fence but said nothing about if and when he gets in about Comrehensive "Immigration". The other who has been liberal toward illegal workers right along now says ship them back. The third leading candidate believea the Free Market will solve everything and is saying it here in Florida. has the man heard the term Alllstate as yet? He also believes there are programs to hepp people. In my opinion how bad can bad get for the average and poor when we consider this Republican party and any of them. At least the democrats are talking good. I really like what Hillary has been saying but not her illegal worker views. Jon Edwards as well. I really do not like Obama. He is split down the middle some good and some bad. If I had to vote, considering Edwards will be out, it is Hillary! Now here is the kicker, I don;t think they are far apart on the Global issues if not identical. So I will work to change congress.

January 20, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  9. LQ Rochester MN

I'll agree that a simpler tax code sounds good but that so-called Fair Tax is not an answer.
    Under a fair tax, we will get our paycheck with no federal or social security taxes. So what about the social security and medicare taxes I've been paying all these years? I have not found out what happens there.

Of course state taxes will still be deducted.

We would end up having a 25% federal sales tax on EVERYTHING, including services. I am going to need a new furnace soon – under the Fair Tax, that price, which is already several thousand dollars, will be increased by 25% – that's a LOT of money for me.

I'll never be able to replace the ricketty windows in my house, that's for sure – that 25% puts that out of my reach.

I am hoping my car lasts for 100,000 miles – can you imagine 25% on the price of a car? And health care? And daily groceries?

Sure sounds nice having no income tax, but I don't see this 25% Fair Tax helping anyone except possible the very well-off.

Oh, and what happens to the thousands of people who work in the IRS and the other government agencies that some of these people (Ron Paul, maybe the Huckster) want to get rid of.

January 20, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  10. Brent, Fairfax, VA

Raymond, El Paso TX: Spoken like a moron who believes the Govt has all the answers.and someone who has likely never worked for the Federal Govt to see how it actually works. I bet it doesn't concern you about how much of your taxpayer dollar actually goes to providing services. You would be surprised to see the empire building that goes on, and the superficial unrelated programs that emerge that benefit no one but someone trying to make his mark in the Govt. I'll bet you have your hand out and very rarely give to charity. I'll bet you are a big union man that chastises corporations for going overseas to avoid the burdensome legacy costs imposted on them by unions. I'll also bet you complain about outsourcing, but you never look at the labels to see the place of manufacture before you purchase an item. I'll bet you belly ache about the price of gasoline, but drive some redneck gashog truck to haul your ATV around so you can shoot at some food. The problem is the spending....of the wasteful variety. I'll bet you vote a straight Democrat ticket and actually believe all the pandering BS coming from candidates that want to buy your vote by promising utopia paid by taxpayers.

BTW I challenge you to tell me what Clinton accomplished in 8 years especially after having the benefit of the Peace Dividend...and please don't tell me about the economy. I'll give you a hint....nothing. Boneheads like to cite the economy, but conveniently forget that Hillary's Health Care debacle was fortunately killed. ..had it not it surely would have resulted in a deficit. They also like to ignore the who controlled Congress at the time....well Republican actually acted like Republicans.

Oh, and for you information I am supporting Obama....I'm sick of the Bush-Clinton-Bush-Clinton crapola.

January 20, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  11. josh rivera

I want Ron Paul to win but Ron Paul made a huge mistake by not running as a libertarian or as an independant. There are millions of Americans that are dissillusioned with both the Democrats and Republicans that would rally around Ron Paul. In my opinion the current Republican party has parted ways with true libertarian conservatism the minute Neo- conservatives and compassionate conservatives hit the scene. It was foolish for Ron Paul not to distance himself from the whole party, as well as with the democrats. Instead, he should have catered directly to the millions of proud independents and libertarians that see the ruin of both the democrats and the republicans. RON PAUL PLEASE RECONSIDER AND RUN AS A LIBERTARIAN OR AN INDEPENDENT. THE GOP IS A SINKING SHIP YOU DON'T NEED TO BE ON AND THAT YOU ARE BETTER THAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you don't i will be forced to vote for Barack Obama.

January 20, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  12. josh rivera

By the way i am an Independent Libertarian

January 20, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  13. Brent, Fairfax, VA

Raymond, El Paso TX: Thanks for bringing a smile to my wife and I. We knew if we ranted enough some liberal moron would respond. Thanks for emphasizing my point that some people think big Govt is the panacea for all that ails us. Nothing could be further from the truth. Yes, there is a place for Govt to protect on a variety of fronts, whether it be unsafe products or foreign armed threats. The trick is to accomplish these goals without major intrusion or financial burden on our lives. Having worked for the Federal Govt for over 35 years in the DC, I have seen the waste that is funded on the backs of taxpayers. Don't get me wrong, there are some fine people employed by the Govt interested only in doing the best they can. Unfortunately the nature of the beast is inefficient, does not reward financial restaint, fosters "empire" building within the organization. I have long said that if there is a commercial viable alternative to Govt it should be taken it should be taken in the interests of efficiency and responsiveness if proper oversight can be achieved. I still maintain what I said previously....sorry you think it's funny that someone objects to blindly accepting proposals from a pandering politician whose only interest is to buy your vote using taxpayer money. BTW I am not a Bush supporter....though I am Republican, I am displeased with my party of late, but do not think the Democrats offer anything better. I am hoping a third party candidate will run so I can throw my support their direction to illustrate discontent with the poor quality candidates from the two major Parties. I might point out that Clinton either did nothing or aggrevated problems that festered to what they are today (i.e. Clinton ignored the recommendatins of the Jordan Commission on illegal immigration, Clinton left al Qaeda training camps prosper unchecked, Clinton sent jobs overseas by signing NAFTA, he had no energy policy, he slashed the slice of the military, gutted and handtied the CIA...should I go on?). Bear in mind that Clinton had the benefit of the so-called "Peace Dividend" that no other President had...and, frankly, he blew it.

January 20, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |