January 19th, 2008

Potentially troubling news in Clinton's Nevada win

ALT TEXT

Hillary Clinton did poorly among African-American voters in Nevada, according to entrance polls. (Photo Credit: AP)

WASHINGTON (CNN) - African Americans overwhelmingly voted for Barack Obama in the Nevada caucuses, just as they did in the Michigan Democratic primary last week - a trend that could hurt Hillary Clinton in next Saturday’s South Carolina primary, where black voters are expected to make up half the electorate.

Black voters made up 16 percent of Democratic Nevada caucus-goers - and roughly 80 percent of them voted for Obama, according to entrance polls. Clinton won support from 16 percent of black voters.

In Michigan's Democratic primary Tuesday - a contest that was rendered meaningless after party sanctions - roughly 70 percent of African-American voters did not cast their votes for Clinton, choosing the “uncommitted” option instead. According to CNN exit polls, those voters overwhelmingly favored Barack Obama, whose name did not appear on the ballot.

Had Obama’s name been on the Michigan ballot, CNN exit polls showed that he would have won an overwhelming 73 percent of the African-American vote, in contrast to 22 percent who say they would have voted for Clinton under those circumstances.

If South Carolina’s large African-American community votes as Michigan's and now Nevada's, Hillary may not be feeling much ‘southern hospitality’ in that state.

African-Americans have long been firm supporters of both former President Bill Clinton - dubbed the first 'black president' by author Toni Morrison - and Hillary Clinton. But a high profile spat earlier this month between the New York senator and Obama over the issue of Martin Luther King Jr.'s legacy may have done some damage to Clinton's favorability numbers among some in the African-American community.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Hillary Clinton • Nevada
  1. ann moss

I was for Bill Clinton before I was not for him. I voted for him twice and he did a good job on the economy and keeping us out of war. However he did a lot of things I don't agree with, but that's water under the bridge. The point is that I don't want a third term of the Bill Clinton presidency and it looks a lot like that's what we'll get if we elect Hillary. He is already uncontrollable and this is just the primary campaign. Imagine what he'll be like as the "first laddie". I really have no strong objections to Hillary (although her corporatism scares me a lot), but the truth is I don't want Bill back in the White House. I think a lot of people feel the way I do. I know a lot of people (moderate democrats) who have informed me that they absolutely will NOT vote for Hillary. Of course they may not vote republican either,but if McCain is the nominee, maybe they will. He gets a lot of independant votes. That is truly scary because McCAin is absolutely nuts on some subjects (the war for one) and he scares the s**t out of me.

Incidentally I'm one of those over 60 women who are supposed to be so strong for Hillary. I'm a progressive business woman who is NOT in the Hillary crowd. I'm leaning toward OBama or Edwards, but I'm not totally wild about them either. Both have plusses and minuses, but neither has Bill Clinton trailing his own very large, very special baggage.

January 20, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  2. Harvard Grads for Obama 08

The name Obama came from his family in kenya who he never knew. I can only say there are alot of Physicians who are muslim but, I see if your family member was dying, it would not matter. I am very excited for him he was a honor graduate from Harvard Law School, how about the ones making these unkind comments, what are your education background. If he does not make President he will be fine, he came from very good stock. I am very offended for ones saying he is playing the race card, again for the trillion times, he was raised by his white family. Lets leave race out of it.

Dr. West

January 20, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  3. JOSE RIVERA

January 19, 2008 5:20 pm ET

I think the Hispanic voters don't understand what Obama is saying. They just know the name Hillary in Spanish and to them that's all that matters, a name that they recognize!

This is troubling. Obama needs to get translaters to do the do from English to Spanish!
    No,we understand what he is saying,trust me,but we are democrats on a democratic primary ,Obama is a empty suit,nice oratory skills but not record.Sorry the republicans didn,t have better ideas,what next Newt the best speaker ever?
    And by the way we lave Bill Clinton,the big Dog(cojones grandes)

January 20, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  4. JJ

RIMA – the actions of the Clintons in just the last 2 weeks speak clearly about how nervous they are about the real talent running for the DEMO party nomination. Both Clintons are underhanded-status quo politicians and the country doesn't need any more of what they have given so negatively over the past 14 days. Bill looks as though his eyes will pop out of their sockets when he tries to defend her campaign and supporters actions.

Plain and simple RIMA, if HIllary is running for President then Bill C. (I won't even give him the honor of calling him the former Prez. because his actions have been less than honorable during her campaign and I believe this is only the beginning of Bill's negativity) should keep a much lower profile than he does. Its obvious, Bill C. wants to win the Presidency, this truth is pushing out through his veins in his face when a reporter calls him on the truth.

I wish you the best RIMA during this election for change.

January 20, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  5. TILEMAN1776

why are we still debating on this race/ gender issue. That is what the media wants, it is not good rating if we just have issues discuss that is why they feed on all the negetave aspect of these primaries. Lets focus on our canidates win or loose we will have a Dem in the White house hopefully Obama .

January 20, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  6. cj

Anyone worth their salt can see that this election is not really about Hillary being president it is about Bill being back in the White House.

I mean really the sitting president Bush has made more minority cabinet appointments than Bill Clinton.

January 20, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  7. Feed up in IL

Who ever the Democratic nominee is, the GOP are going to try to eat them alive. They want to retain the power. What more can they say about HRC and what will they find to say about Obama. He has had CNN, MSNBC and ABC kissing his butt since 2004. As a citizen of IL I can honestly say, he has not done a darn thing for us. We are losing jobs, they are layoff's in county, city government and major manufacturing here. Our governor, house and senate are suing each other. We have no budget, local governments are borrowing money to stay afloat, etc. Yet, since he has been in office, he has been running for President with help our other senator, Durbin. While he was campaigning in NV and Durbin was making calls in his campaign office here, our state is losing federal highway dollars.
    The media will not vet him because they are afraid of being called racist and they are inspired by his talk. I'm inspired by Senator Stevens of Alaska who brings home the bacon. He did nothing major here, nor has he done anything in the US Senate for white, black or purple people in IL.
    Hold your applauds until after the federal trial of one of his biggest supporters starts next month. Then you guys will find out who the real Obama is. Just another Chicago politican who gives great speeches.

January 20, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  8. wilmac

Even if Barak Obama wasn't such a fascinating and refreshing voice in American politics, and an inspiring public servant such as this country hasn't seen in several generations, the bottom line for me would still be this: can we not do better than accept nearly three decades of nothing but Bushes and Clintons in the White House?

January 20, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  9. Rima

Obama is the one who started the race crap.. He compared himself to MLK and only responded to Clinton's correct statement when he was heading to black SC. the Comment was made way before the New Hampshire vote, but you never heard a peep until they were getting closer to SC. Please. who started it??? of course he did, don't be a fool. Why in the world did he compare himself to MLK?? And why in the world is he now speaking with an accent similar to MLK and other black activists when two weeks ago, he was speaking with that Harvard Educated swaggar??? Oh please, don't be so easily duped. Why are people so naive???

January 20, 2008 11:57 pm at 11:57 pm |
  10. getdeb

Here we go again...spinning hillary's win into "good news" for Obama. Can't we stop now? She won 2/3 primaries and Obama's camp is still trying to spin it in his favor. My gosh...can't we just let the numbers speak for themselves for once!?!?!? Go Hillary. Ignore the spin and keep on plugging. The media wants Obama to win, the public wants you.

January 20, 2008 11:57 pm at 11:57 pm |
  11. getdeb

Oh and one more thing...just look at this headline..."Troubling News In Clinton's Win." Come on CNN...we realize who you want to win, just as we realize who Edwards wants to win. He's looking for a job (i.e., Vice President), and CNN is looking for viewers. The media bias is becoming so obvious...it is going to backfire on one candidate...and we know who that is. So does he. Go Hill.

January 21, 2008 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  12. Michael

African Americans should stop, think, and look at Hillary Clinton's record on civil rights and they will see all she has done just as former President Bill Clinton has done. Both Clintons has always fighted for equal rights and have been very strong on the civil rights issue. The media is playing politics with the race card in my opinion and it's wrong. I could be wrong but I'm starting to wonder if there might be some racism and discrimination going on against Hillary because of the fact she is a white woman running for President. You don't just vote for someone because of the color of their skin or their gender you vote for the person who you think has the know how to do the best job at being President of the United States.
    When I vote I take it serious on who I feel would do the best job, race and gender should have nothing to do with it because we are all equal in the eyes of God. Instead we should focus on the wonderful message of Dr. Martin Luther King which was to bring everyone together and treating everyone equal. If more people would look close at Dr. King's dream, the things he said, and the things he did, life would be so much better and this country wouldn't be divided the way it is in general. Dr. King was a wonderful man, we can still make the dream happen today by treating everyone with respect no matter what their race or gender is.

January 21, 2008 12:22 am at 12:22 am |
  13. anthonytony1161

Harvard Grads for Obama 08

It seems that Obama who's campaign initiated this "race" issue is trying to play the victim with the aid of the press.had they not twisted Mr. Clintons criticism of his contradictory actions with regards to the Iraq war into a racial issue, or the statement by HRC regarding the role LBJ on the civil rights legislation ,race would be a non issue. they were not satisfied with the overly friendly press, they sought to shield themselves from any criticism by hollering racism at every turn.I support HRC, but I thought that he was someone I can vote for if he wins the nomination.now, I see him as just another Jesse Jackson with a harvard degree.2 unproductive years in the senate and he dared to compare himself to MLK,THE NERVE.He is not even close to someone that was beaten ,jailed, and killed,for his beliefs.Signing the civil rights legislation was a heroic gesture on the part of the democratic party and LBJ,the democratic party lost the south since then.And this the thank you they get from the Obama supporter in the AA community.

January 21, 2008 12:51 am at 12:51 am |
  14. decstl

It shouldn't matter whether you are white or African American when it comes to voting. All I ever hear is how prejudiced white people won't vote for an African American. Why don't I hear the same outrage when it is the other way. I am sure 80 % of the African Americans aren't voting for him just because he is a good candidate. Prejudice is prejudice. It doesn't make any difference which side is peddling it.

January 21, 2008 01:07 am at 1:07 am |
  15. Ryan

Something to think about ! How do you feel about how this country overall has been the last 19 years, do you remember the 80's. Since then we had Bush Clinton, and if Hillary gets elected it will be 24 or possibly 28 years of Bush Clinton. In my opinion I believe we need a change no matter the out come who gets elected.

January 21, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  16. SANISSA

There is also a problem here for Obama, he is clearly not getting white votes or hispanic votes. This will hurt him in many states and definitely in the general election if he gets the nomination. I would suggest that all Republicans are celebrating these trends. They mean another Republican president. Thank you Democrats

January 22, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  17. solomon

Mr Barrack Hussein is shedding tears now, I wonder what he will do if or when he wins the normination and the republican attack machine starts to come after him? If you cannot stand the heat get out of the kitchen

January 29, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |