January 20th, 2008

Clinton surrogates go to church in South Carolina

COLUMBIA, South Carolina (CNN) - Chelsea Clinton and Vernon Jordan, a longtime adviser to President Bill Clinton, quietly attended two African-American church services in South Carolina on Sunday, six days before the state's Democratic primary.

The appearances are part of the Hillary Clinton campaign's outreach toward the state's black voters, who are expected to be a crucial constituency in the primary vote. Barack Obama holds an edge over Clinton among African-Americans according to recent polls.

Chelsea Clinton attended the 11 a.m. service at Bible Way church in Columbia, whose pastor, state senator Darrell Jackson, is a member of Hillary Clinton's South Carolina steering committee.

Jordan and his wife Ann attended services at Brookland Baptist Church in West Columbia.

Hillary Clinton will make her first post-Nevada appearance in South Carolina tomorrow morning in Columbia, while Obama will hold a rally at the Columbia Convention Center tonight.

UPDATE: The Obama campaign points out that Michelle Obama also attended 11 a.m. worship services at Bible Way Church on Sunday.

– CNN South Carolina Producer Peter Hamby

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • South Carolina
  1. Alice, VA

How transparent and shallow. Just what I would expect from a Clinton.

January 20, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  2. Ready for change in VA

Wow–did they actually stay for the sermons, unlike Hillary? Want to convince Christians that you believe in their values, then sneak out AFTER the sermon...not after your speeches.

January 20, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  3. sairefgm

I am just at a lost with these clintons. i am just at a lost. but i do know this

from looking at the polls. hillary is bearly winning and refuset to accept the fact that the american people do not want her.

a racial insult to one black person is a racial insult to all black people.

frankly i am ashamed to be an american citizen.

i have seriously thinking about leaving american and moving to another country. when i was in the m iliary i often wondered why americans could not go on the soil of other countries but now i am beginning to see why.

i would not let hillary clinton into any church after the way her campaign has behaved before a free nation.

honorable discharged citizen.

January 20, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  4. pam Eugene OR

Will she be allowed to talk?

January 20, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  5. Cheryl

HILLARY IS GAINING GROUND BECAUSE HER MESSAGE IS HONEST AND SHE HAS NOT CHANGED IT SINCE THE START!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM THRILLED FOR HER IT GIVES ME HOPE THAT SOON WE WILL GET OUR ECONOMY BACK ON TRACK AND BRING OUR PEOPLE HOME FROM IRAC ETC. CONGRATS HILLARY!!!!! HILLARY CLINTON 08

January 20, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  6. Brian

Here we go. They attended Church on Sunday...BIG NEWS

January 20, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  7. David Snider

Who Cares! Chelsea is just another family member. The exploitation of these figures gives nothing of a boost. This could be considered the Family of Triangulation.

I respect everyone of them for fighting for their mother/wife. But let Hillary run her own campain. This is beginning to look like a desperate family dream. Who is Hillary without Bill? Great record on the civil side. As an elected official, 4 years only.

I am voting for Obama because he is a true leader. he's been in an elected office for 8 years. He's someone who gives me hope, looking to the dreams that us Americans once saw, but lost in the process.

The Old guard led this process but forgot to inject this in the new.

Clean America,
    Self Sufficient,
    Unity among divisions so we continue to expand,
    Using people of true knowledge and Scientific backgrounds to lead the way, not politicians.

***Note: To most estimates, the Vietnam war would of been WON in 4 years, had it not been for the politicians to get in the way. One example, Vietnamese supplies, troops and essential transport units were saw in a neighboring country preparing for an attack. Washington interjected into the conflict and ordered that they not be fired on even though the neighboring country was supporting them. That night, under the cover of darkness, we were attack and lost many lives.

January 20, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  8. Sabrina

Great job in Nevada. Good luck in the Debate on Monday, will be watching ! You go Madame President !

January 20, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  9. inner city case worker

Let the games begin-- will Hillary bring her fake southern accent again like she did last year? "I don't feel no ways tired."

January 20, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  10. carol

Hillary will represent everyone!

Hillary '08 and '12

January 20, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  11. Ray

I heart Chelsea!!

January 20, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  12. Bimmer

One way to judge a candidate's character and thinking is to look at their friends.

Clintons have kept their friendship with Vernon Jordan for a long time through thick and thin.

For someone to question Clinton's commitmeent to African American is to look at Vernon Jordan and Maya Angelou, the famous African American poet. who in a CBC broadcast last week also mentioned her long-time friendship with Hillary in explaining why she supports Hillary over Obama.

January 20, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  13. D.

I have to admit, she is a hell of a politician, she may be saying what ever she has to say and doing what ever she has to do, but I have to admit that the way she does it is better than any republic political machine that I have ever seen (next to george bush).

January 20, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  14. Tyler in Raleigh

Its called pandering... and no one does it like a Clinton.

Well, I guess Bush was close. As long as American's feel the need to vote for the guy they would like to have a beer with or that plays down to them, this is what we are stuck with.

Hopefully this time we get an Obama or McCain instead of Clinton or Huckabee.

January 20, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  15. William Courtland, Waterford, Ontario

Are German descendents from South Africa African-Americans? Are Egyptians?

Bigotry...

January 20, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  16. John

obama 08

January 20, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  17. pops

Obama 08 Thats written in the stars.
    No one noticed GOD lifts honest leaders usually from the most humble situations and Obama is proof. If America has any doubt just retrace his beginning.

January 20, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  18. kenny

the clinton's are not sincere or honest people. and the out of touch and disconnected black friends they continue to trot out is laughable. elite upper class black folk who have very little understanding of the simmering anger of regular black folk such as i....people here in brooklyn have been calling for a protest of the clintonistas and their campaign tactics.....right here in ny.....

January 20, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  19. Billary sucks

"Hillary will represent everyone!"

She only represents illiterate latino voters and menopaused white women.

Brasil ill ill ill

January 20, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  20. William Courtland, Waterford, Ontario

A church is just a Church. In one hundred years you can not predict the superficial colorings of the parishiners of that church. You are by nationality all Americans.

January 20, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  21. Gene Pentiuk

Per my doctor's orders I recently went to a very well recomended hospitaal for a chest x-ray that took five minutes however the occasion required just over two hours == fortunately there was no insurance or costs issues. I observed over 14 supposedly patients (no doubt spouces were included) waiting and some appeared very impatient and there were some noisy complaints of neglect . I also had a prevous occasion to accompany my neighbor in a visit to her daughter and it appeared to me that the nurse though concerned about her patient, seemed to me very exhausted.Though I did not mention my observation, my neighbor also made the observation as we departed, just recently there was a report of a short supply of nurses. Also a report regarding a problem regarding imported nurses. PLEASE ASK OUR PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATES WHAT MAGIC WAND THEY POSSESS TO GRANT EVERY AMERICAN THE HEALTH CARE PROGRAM THEY PROPOSE . PLEASE BE HONEST WITH THE AMERICAN PEOPLE.

January 20, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  22. favor

To CNN, stop deleting a post l wanted to share with people please!!!!!!!!!11

January 20, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  23. Sunny Erickson

Is this the best you can do for Hillary Clinton. You have articles that are positive for John McCain, Huckabee, Edwards.... But Hillary gets a little article that's like a wink, saying her surrogates went to church today. Did you report where everyone else's surrogates went to church. The Clinton's have been going to Church in African American communities for a long long time. I'm sickened that suddenly the Clinton's are anti-black and are making some kind of "extra" effort to go to areas that are ethnic specific.

The media is now getting their chance to get back at the Clinton's based on the fact that most of the cable media wanted the former president to be impeached. Everyone I know thinks the same thing and I live in Orange County, CA.. Not exactly a libral hot bed.

As a Democrat I like all of our choices for president. I was leaning towards Obama in the beginning, because I thought it would be wonderful for an African American to be nominated by my party. I have changed my mind because I'm appalled at the way it appears that folks that have fought for cival rights all of their life are cast as enemies suddenly for political purposes. Does that mean that people like me who has worked for civil rights, been a part of any coalition I could join that stood for the rights of the underpriveled is throwed out the window if I choose to cast my vote for someone other than Obama? Additionally, nominating and electing a women is just as revolutionary as doing the same for an African American. And maybe most important, Obama choosing to use the name of Reagan as an example of a person that made a positive difference in his political thinking blew me out of his camp.

What started as a wonder morning for Democrats is looking a little cloudy in the afternoon. Let's hope the evening brings stars and not thunder and ligtening.

Still a faithful Democrat...

January 20, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |