January 20th, 2008

Clinton surrogates go to church in South Carolina

COLUMBIA, South Carolina (CNN) - Chelsea Clinton and Vernon Jordan, a longtime adviser to President Bill Clinton, quietly attended two African-American church services in South Carolina on Sunday, six days before the state's Democratic primary.

The appearances are part of the Hillary Clinton campaign's outreach toward the state's black voters, who are expected to be a crucial constituency in the primary vote. Barack Obama holds an edge over Clinton among African-Americans according to recent polls.

Chelsea Clinton attended the 11 a.m. service at Bible Way church in Columbia, whose pastor, state senator Darrell Jackson, is a member of Hillary Clinton's South Carolina steering committee.

Jordan and his wife Ann attended services at Brookland Baptist Church in West Columbia.

Hillary Clinton will make her first post-Nevada appearance in South Carolina tomorrow morning in Columbia, while Obama will hold a rally at the Columbia Convention Center tonight.

UPDATE: The Obama campaign points out that Michelle Obama also attended 11 a.m. worship services at Bible Way Church on Sunday.

– CNN South Carolina Producer Peter Hamby

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • South Carolina
  1. Bryan

Will either campaign come to St. Michael's parish in Staunton, Illinois?

January 20, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  2. Phil Memphis, TN

The point, which CNN managed NOT to bring out as usual, is not that they went to church on sunday. the point is that the minister of the church is on Clinton's steering comittee. That didn't just suddenly happen today as a staged event. I expect he was asked, or asked, to hold that position at some time in the past. Why do you think he agreed to do that?

So it is shallow and transparent to attend the church of a long-time political ally when you are in his state? To the contrary, it would have been an insult if someone from her camp had NOT shown up there being as he is helping with the campaign. Get it?

I am so tired of the haters taking every opportunity to twist anything they can against someone who is not their candidate. I am not voting for Clinton (Go Edwards!) but the Obama rhetoric and race stuff is really, really getting old. Geesh, give her a break.

January 20, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  3. Leslie Somerville, Seattle, Washington

HILLARY 2008-BRILLIANT POLITICIAN, BUT THEN AGAIN SO WAS HER HUSBAND. HILLARY WILL BE AN OUTSTANDING COMMANDER AND CHIEF. I DON'T SEE HOW AMERICANS CAN'T SEE THROUGH BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA’S COCKY, IGNORANT, ILL-MANNERED PERSONALITY. IT TRULY CAME THROUGH LOUD AND CLEAR IN THE LAST DEMOCRATIC DEBATE IN NEVADA--HE IS OUT OF TOUCH WITH THE URGENCY OF THE ‘ECONOMIC NEEDS’ OF THE AMERICAN PEOPLE.

January 20, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  4. Chris from Houston

Oh. My god. I watch CNN everyday and all i see is Hilliary or Bill and sometimes Edwards. Where is your coverage of Obama. I see nothing. Is the media so slanted in its coverage. I can watch all day on an off day and never see anything about Obama unless it is in reference to something negative. Where is the fair reporting in that. CNN just lost my support.

January 20, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  5. John, NC

I will vote Republican if Hillary is the nominee, she is a phoney.

January 20, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  6. Phil Memphis, TN

Oh, and then the update that Obama's camp had to point out that Michelle went to church too. Priceless.

January 20, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  7. kalliope

November 2008 – Hillary Clinton, uniter of the Republican Party.

No one seems to feel the urgency and danger that Clinton can unite the Republican party better than their own candidates are able to do. It's not because of gender, race, intelligence or experience...it's because she's a CLINTON. There's nothing like a shared enemy that can unite this Republican tribe. And there are not too many names they hate more than CLINTON.

January 20, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  8. Christine

Why are some women supporting Senator Clinton based on gender? It shouldn’t be surprising. Every woman, at one point or another, has been treated like a second class citizen. Our qualifications are ignored, our character and experience belittled.

I'm voting for Senator Clinton because I believe her to be smart and capable of running our country. AND I want to see that glass ceiling shattered into millions of pieces. I want to feel society's strangulating expectations of women start to dissolve.

We raise our daughters to believe they can do or be anything. Let's prove it isn't just lip service.

January 20, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  9. Young But Far From Dumb

I guess it is suppose to mean something that her daughter went to a 'black' church. What does that have to do with anything?? I think if anything that this the beginning if another one of her dirty tactics to try to show us (African-Americans) how she will do soooo much for us if we give her our vote, the same way she did in vegas with the latinos. I hope we are not fooled by this. Just watch her. Watch the news. She is going to do/say something or have someone from her campaign do /say something, resulting in another one of her "what we meant to say is" speeches. I don't know about you but I'm Ready For A Change!!!!

OBAMA '08

January 20, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  10. Thomas - Reno, NV

The Hillary supporters consistently whine about Obama 1971Guy. You are grossly incorrect in misstating this fact. Her negativity will drain the american spirit right out of the democratic process.

Also ask yourself if Hillary really saw MLK speak in the 60's, considering she was a Goldwater girl and all. Dreaming up past events is not the truth. Do your research pal.

January 20, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  11. Kathrine

For her entire marriage Hillary was Hillary Rodham – and I remember when she got upset if someone referred to her as Hillary Clinton. But during her husband's presidency she condescended to become Hillary Rodham-Clinton. Now she seems perfectly happy to use Hillary Clinton. I wonder if after she is done capitalizing on her husband's name recognition she will return to her preferred name.

January 20, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  12. carmella

Imagine if Hillary Clinton stood up and said, "My election will change the world for 50% of the human population in one fell swoop, by recognizing that THAT 50% actually exists and that they can be strong and competent leaders. Young mothers all across the world would be instantly empowered to know that freedom is not only freedom to choose your own reproductive health but freedom to choose your entire path in life. My election as a woman resonates for every girl and boy in America and beyond to know that women are of equal value to men regardless of race or creed or orientation, and that Separate is Not Equal. My election as a woman is an opportunity for peace and an opportunity to bring honor to every mother that has shed tears for a son or daughter lost in the war on terror, the war on drugs, the war in sexual slavery. Little girls sent to brothels in China, in India, in Africa and yes in AMERICA would know that one of their own was out there fighting for their eventual freedom. And only she could understand the depth of their degradation and the height of profound justice."

January 20, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  13. Mike

Two Points

To anyone who says "anyone but hillary" or "if Hillary wins I will switch parties" you must certainly be proud of yourself! Your hatred for a person will have you disavow what you beleive in? So because you may not "like" her for whatever reason you would rather vote for a group which you do not beleive in any of thier convictions.

Sounds abuut like 3rd grade to me?!

Next for all of you who keep saying HRC is pandering, calculating, etc. Do you really think that Obama does all the stuff he is doing right now normally? Do you not think what he is doing now is for votes? I just see it as so niave when people say this stuff. Oh yeah the clintons are shameleslly campaining while Obama is just hanging out doing what he normally does.....OKAY?!?!

January 20, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  14. Phil Memphis, TN

Thomas, do your research. the assassination of MLK was one of the things that prompted hillary to change political aprties and become a Democrat.

January 20, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  15. Ready for change in VA

Danny:

First of all, to knock people down because of their gender is sexist–not racist. Secondly, I believe in "anyone but Hillary or Obama" because of the people that they are. They are rich, spoiled, and out of touch with middle-class Americans. They are also petty and self-absorbed. I don't like Hillary because she can be too easily bought, and our country doesn't need a presidency with a price tag. They may have made sacrafices, they have no clue the number of sacrafices that are made by regular working-class folks on a daily basis.

January 20, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  16. Thomas - Reno, NV

Cheryl, You're an idiot if you think Hillary has not changed her message. She consistently changes her message in order to win votes.

Do you watch debates? Tell me why Hillary cannot directly answer any question that is directed towards her? The reason is so she can change her message freely without being transparent to you voters who don't research the facts.

This election is the most important election we have had in over 30 years, and all you can do is chant the same mantra the HRC faithfuls blast out to you every day. Why do you think GW was elected? Because his supporters followed him blindly as well, not bothering to research the facts. It's nice to know that we haven't learned our lesson yet.

January 20, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  17. Dan, TX

I like Obama because he has laid out detailed plans on national security, health care, the economy, etc. in far more detail than any other candidate.

Clinton's plans are vague, and set up for back door negotiations to favor her lobbyist financers.

Look at both their web sites and compare them on policies. Obama's plans are more thoughtful, more clear, and more common sense. That is why I am a devoted Obama supporter. He's the better leader and we need him now. I want someone who's judgment is not clouded by political ideology when he has to decide whether to launch a missle. I trust Obama to make the right decision.

I do not trust Bill Clinton, his time has passed, he should not use Hillary as his puppet. I feel very sorry for her.

January 20, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  18. kalliope

With so many women in the world, isn't there one whose name isn't CLINTON who would be qualified? Yes of course, but apparently not in 2008, not in this election. To suggest Carmella that I follow her because her genetic makeup is like mine is an insult to my gender and most of all to my country. How in the world could she understand the depth of their degradation, she ignored her own.

January 20, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  19. Phil Memphis, TN

So some on here claim they are democrats or independents, but would vote for another Republican before Clinton? Then you are not left leaning, or if you are, you are willing to cut off your nose to spite your face.

You are willing to continue to watch our young men die in a war a criminal Republican administration lied us into, continue to see our financial stability squandered, continue to allow the government to ignore the constitution, allow them to continue to widen their tracking and spying on american citizens; all because you have this deep-seated hatred of Hillary.. for what?

If you are a democrat or independent I'm a right wing religious zealot.

I don;t think there are many Dems out there who really think that way. you guys must be Republican plants.

January 20, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  20. Mart from Chicago

WOW, Chelsea goes to a black church and you all say its for politic gain... well of course it is.... why do you think Obama goes to church too nowadays?? To look for God?? You guys are fools to think Obama goes to churhes after churches and talk on the pulpit to give sermon and talk about the word of God... And just because its a black church, doesn't change the fact that all these politicians (including your precious Obama) are going there to look for votes. And btw, its not okay for white people to go to black churches now, even if its only once?!?

to AJ, IL, where have you been?? Hillary's camp has been the ones who are negative towards Obama all the time?? you are kidding me right??? And I got a question for you, if Hillary attached some resume of her going to churches and bring some of her fellow churchgoers to testify for her, that would make her better?? I can put my bet your answer is no since you already think Obama is a saint for goin to church... I am a church goer myself, and today's sermon was about, being a christian is not when you are around a lot of people and act good... but it is when you are alone at home with God... So don't judge Hillary just cause she doesnt give resume of where she goes to church or bring in people from churches to testify how kind and saint-like is herself... This is politics and got nothing to do with being Christians or not, or who goes to church or not... for all I know, church goers are not perfect and have done sinful things as well, coz i know i do sometimes...

January 20, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  21. AZdemocrat

Charolotte says:

" We can not wait for someone to figure out, there isn't a pea under any of the three walnut shells. We need someone who can hit the ground running, knows how to play dodge ball, knows it isn't going to be a cake walk, knows it will be an uphill battle and has the intestinal fortitude to get it done. That is Hillary Clinton!"

Talk about intestines – I much prefer someone, woman or man, with great heart!
    And it has been DISheartening to see where the Hil and Bill went with the game after they lost the Iowa caucuses. They resorted to the worst tactics. I can agree that the Clinton's certainly do have it all figured out and they do know how play the game, maybe even better than the Rove Team can. So go ahead, vote for Clinton and you get more of the same old same old and nothing will ever change......the same cynical games with the same nasty tactics. "Intestinal fortitude to get it done" Sure, but I don't have the stomach for any more of THAT you know what.....I DON'T want Obama to play their game, even now after he has figured out their cynical rules and strategies.

We need to be finally finished with the Clintons and their ultra-cynical and ultra-narcissistic game playing. We NEED Obama as our leader who will change the game and the trajectory. I pray for Obama to win the dems nomination, and I challenge all of America to rise up and show the world that in America "Yes, we can" renew our commitment to the ideals that encourage us all to work hard for a better country and a better world. God knows we so desperately need someone who can inspire us be courageous and take action once.

January 20, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  22. Karen P

As an Independent...if Obama doesn't win the primary and Hillary gets it....yes, I WILL vote Republican. Obama is the only really good candidate who can work with both parties...even Republicans have praised Obama, but with a Hillary ticket, I would have to vote Republican. Any Republican is less corrupt than the Clintons

January 20, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  23. Robert Bell

"HILLARY IS GAINING GROUND BECAUSE HER MESSAGE IS HONEST AND SHE HAS NOT CHANGED IT SINCE THE START!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM THRILLED FOR HER IT GIVES ME HOPE THAT SOON WE WILL GET OUR ECONOMY BACK ON TRACK AND BRING OUR PEOPLE HOME FROM IRAC ETC. CONGRATS HILLARY!!!!! HILLARY CLINTON 08"

OK, I see you found the exclamation point key. Good for you!

The CAP LOCK key is above your shift key. You might want to try that as well.

Iraq is spelled with a "Q" not a "C" – and the two keys are not even near each other on the keyboard.

As for Hillary's "honesty", ask her about her dealings as a commodities trader.

As for her "not changing her message since the start" ask her why she was against ethanol in gasoline until she campaigned in corn-rich Iowa. She changes opinions with the weather – and with the polls.

As for fixing the economy, most economists agree her proposal to freeze interest rates for five years (Soviet Style) would wreck our economy.

She still believes the Communist theory of the command economy. We tried wage and price controls under Nixon (and under the New Deal) and both times it didn't work.

FWIW. Hillary supporters scare me. Victims of "no child left behind" apparently.

January 20, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  24. lets talk about sex

Christine Says:

After White men, White women have more opportunities than anyone, so save that crap. Look at any fourtune 500 companies, how many black, brown, or asain people(of any sex ) do you see in any leadership roles? Hardly any. How many white women? More than any minorties. If they have to promote a "minority" it is now a white woman. I just saying, if you want to play the sexist card.

January 20, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  25. PhilT

Recent research has uncovered a new illness being diagnosed as "Clintonitis".
    It is characterized as "an avoidance of the truth in matters relating to the Clintons",
    or in it's advanced state as "a complete denial of anything negative about Hillary."
    I thought well informed voters would be able to see through a Clinton campaign that has degenerated into one of the most
    deceitful, disingenuous and despicable political campaigns I have ever seen. One recent example of this is the reference by
    Clinton supporter BET founder Bob Johnston to Senator Obama's behavior and actions as a young man.
    As a matter of record, when asked what Senator Clinton thought of a surrogate making a drug reference regarding Obama
    at one of her campaign events, Clinton Spokesman Jay Carson said “I don’t think that’s what he (Johnston) was referring to".
    A display by Carson of the advanced state of Clintonitis, complete denial.
    Mrs. Clinton gave no acknowledgement to the true inference by Johnston and made no apology for Mr. Johnston's remarks
    until days later when Johnston finally acknowledged the true intent and meaning of his remarks and apologized to Senator Obama.
    A display by Hillary and Johnston of the milder form of Clintonitis, avoidance of the truth.

The Clintons' tactics are turning the Democratic primary campaign into the type of partisan campaigning once reserved for inter-party
    politics by the likes of Karl Rove. Perhaps this is what Hillary's "35 years of experience" brings to the political discourse in this country.
    If so, it is a pathetic display of what I, and hopefully many others, want a "change" from.

January 20, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |