January 20th, 2008

Clinton surrogates go to church in South Carolina

COLUMBIA, South Carolina (CNN) - Chelsea Clinton and Vernon Jordan, a longtime adviser to President Bill Clinton, quietly attended two African-American church services in South Carolina on Sunday, six days before the state's Democratic primary.

The appearances are part of the Hillary Clinton campaign's outreach toward the state's black voters, who are expected to be a crucial constituency in the primary vote. Barack Obama holds an edge over Clinton among African-Americans according to recent polls.

Chelsea Clinton attended the 11 a.m. service at Bible Way church in Columbia, whose pastor, state senator Darrell Jackson, is a member of Hillary Clinton's South Carolina steering committee.

Jordan and his wife Ann attended services at Brookland Baptist Church in West Columbia.

Hillary Clinton will make her first post-Nevada appearance in South Carolina tomorrow morning in Columbia, while Obama will hold a rally at the Columbia Convention Center tonight.

UPDATE: The Obama campaign points out that Michelle Obama also attended 11 a.m. worship services at Bible Way Church on Sunday.

– CNN South Carolina Producer Peter Hamby

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • South Carolina
  1. Annie

If Hillary was so moved after hearing Martin Luther King, Jr. speak when she was a teenager, then why did she become a Republican,and a Goldwater Girl?

January 20, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  2. jj

ANYONE BUT HILLIARY CLINTON FOR THE DEMOCRATIC NOMINATION!!!! IF SHE GETS IT I WILL NOT VOTE FOR HER!!!!

As a woman I will not vote for her just because she is a woman, as a black woman I will not vote for Obama just because he is black BUT;

Hilliary Clinton is running her campaign on her 35 years of experience. It is that very experience that has turned me off from her. What is this great legacy of experience that she speaks of. What has she done for this country that is worthy of the American people electing her into the office of President of these United States.

I am totally turned off with the way she goes about getting her point across to the American people. She steps on and over people to make her issues known. She has no tact in dealing with people. I mean its great to know the policies and issues affecting this country, but if you cannot express yourself in a way that will make one WANT to hear what you have to say then the battle is over before it begins. She seems to think that she can bully her way into the hearts and minds of the American people, but what will happen in Congress, Will she be able to get anything accomplished with that overly aggressive stance she takes. I don't think so. To me she is just not Presidential enough. She is highly intelligent, I cannot deny that, but it takes the total package to get things done in Washington. Remember checks and balances in our government. The President accomplishes little without the help of Congress and so forth.

I will never vote for her, I am convinced from her EXPERIENCE that she lacks the total package to bring about REAL CHANGE in this country. I for one am sick of a lot of talk and nothing getting done.

January 20, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  3. teddy orlando fl

WAKE UP !!!! school daze a spike lee production

January 20, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  4. nikki

HILLARY GET A BACKBONE PLEASE!!!!!! WHAT REALLY BOTHERS ME ABOUT HILLARY IS THE FACT THAT THEIR CAMPAIGN PUTS OUT ALL OF THESE SNEAKY RACE CARD ISSUES LIKE THE WHOLE BOB JOHNSON ISSUE, THE WHOLE FAIRY TAIL ISSUSE SO ON AND SO FORTH, BUT WHEN IT IS TIME TO FACE THE MUSIC SHE ALWAYS HAS BILL COMING OUT DOING THE DIRTY WORK FOR HER!!!!! ISN'T IT YOUR JOB MRS PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE TO HAVE ANSWERS AS TO WHY YOUR CAMPAIGN WOULD THROW SUCH LOW BLOWS! BILL IS NOT A CANDIDATE FOR PRESIDENT YOU ARE SO AS I SAID PLEASE GET A BACKBONE AND IF YOU CANT STAND THE HEAT GET OUT OF THE KITCHEN!!!!!!

January 20, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  5. docrock,lewisville,tx

Thank you Amy/Kazoo.I was beginning to think that English was the "second language "on this page.Jeez people,vote or get off the pot.If you can't vote,shut up!!

January 20, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  6. Michael

Let's stop talking about Hillary and start talking about Bill because that is who Barack is really running against. Bill clinton is going to remind America about all of the scandals that his family was involved with during his time in the White House. If Bill Clinton can lie to the face of every American citizen before, he is very capable of during again and again and again and......

January 20, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  7. Anonymous

On January 20, 2008 3:34 pm ET, Rico wrote:

"Obama is running scared.
    Nevada is the carbon copy for the rest of the west.
    He needs the Latino vote plain and simple guess what he aint going get it."
    ---------–
    Really? Why?

January 20, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  8. mishte

On January 20, 2008 3:34 pm ET, Rico wrote:

"Obama is running scared.
    Nevada is the carbon copy for the rest of the west.
    He needs the Latino vote plain and simple guess what he aint going get it."
    ----–
    Really? Why?

January 20, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  9. v.cifaldi&paul

I THINK EVERYONE NEEDS TO SIT BACK, TAKE A DEEP BREATH, AND REALIZE ONCE AND FOR ALL THAT THIS IS NOT SOME KIND OF GAME. THIS IS REAL LIFE AND EXTREMELY, EXTREMELY IMPORTANT.

GO HILLARY!!!!!!

January 20, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  10. Helena

Why are people complaining that Bill Clinton and Chelsea Clinton are campaigning for Hilary? Spouses and children, uncles, aunts, all family members do campaign for their familly member running for office. Isn't Obama's wife campaigning for him? From what the press says, Obama's wife could not even pronounce the State of Nevada correctly. Do the African Americans not remember Obama and Tony Rezko allowing all of those African Americans in Illinois living in those God-awful apartments that they owned/controlled and not even turning the heat on in the coldest winter ever in Illinois. Pull up the Chicago-Sun Times and check it out. Obama is Rezko's guy and they only care about getting richer. Think very hard before you vote!

January 20, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  11. Tom Davie

I wonder if we posters think we are 'pandering' to independents on this board.

You know that people care so much about what we say in here to sway their vote (lol)

Yes, Reverend Butts endorsement of Hillary is the real deal. But there is ENORMOUS pressure to vote for Obama in the african american community.

Problem is that black folks can socially talk up a storm for Obama -sneak off and vote for Clinton – then come out and boast to the exit pollster that they voted for Obama. There is a real pressure to do so on a social basis.

Besides. No matter what hillary does, do you think the obama posters on here care? They will just spin it into a super negative.

I guess Reverend Butts endorsment is a 'bribe' or some other kind of BS right? It couldnt be what it reallly is. An endorsment.

January 20, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  12. LQ Rochester MN

Xlotus, you want me to vote for Hill just because she is a woman and Obama is just a guy?

PLEASE get yourself better informed before you vote. According to the experts, I should be voting for her because I am female, white and over 50. I USED to like her – she was a big reason why I voted for Bill in 1992. I really thought she would be an "unofficial" advisor to the president. But the more I see and hear from her, the less I like. And while I supported Bill even while he was getting impeached – which I thought was just a witch hunt from the holier-than-thou repubs – Bill is really getting on my nerves lately.

I would most likely caucus for Kucinich but he doesn't stand a chance. I will be supporting Obama. I really think Clinton is polarizing and am afraid she will not win if she is the nominee; however, I will vote for her if she is. Again, not because she is a woman, but because 4 more years of Repub rule scares me.

January 20, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  13. Kate from Il

Hillary has my vote!

January 20, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  14. Simon

It seems the motivation to vote for the Clintons is out of obligation for past deeds...the motivation to vote for Obama is what he can do for the Country, not what is OWED to him. WHICH is better for America?

January 20, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  15. LQ Rochester MN

BTW KAREN P

Our forefathers said nothing about 2 terms for the president.

FDR served was elected 4 times; after that, the constitution was amended to specify 2 terms.

January 20, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  16. Pete

Think.......... economy... 90s...... did good during Clinton 90s..... deficit from big red to black
    2008........................ economy........ history will repeat, ......

January 20, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  17. Juanito, Washington, DC

Vernon Jordan went to church? LOL....ok.

January 20, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  18. tobi

Obama needs to campaign with the fervor he showed in Iowa. Oprah potentially will deliver the African American and Female votes as she did in Iowa and Obama should get a big bump from African Americans in South Carolina who do not want to be the state that affectively ends the run of the first realistic African American presidential candidate - just as women in Mass did not want to kill Hillary's campaign.

There are a lot of reasons Obama SHOULD win in South Carolina, but the facts are if he loses in SC, Hillary carries all of the momentum into Super Tuesday instead of most of the momentum. Aditionally, Obama pulls heavily from peop[e who don't normally vote. If they can't turn those people out - like they haven't been able to in the last 3 states, they will have a hard time winning. In otherwords it is again do or die time for the Obama camp.

January 20, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  19. v.cifaldi&paul

TO ALL OF YOU WHO KEEP SAYING "WHAT HAS HILLARY DONE?", AND "WHAT DID BILL CLINTON DO?"

MAYBE YOU SHOULD RESEARCH IN THE LIBRARY WHERE ALL OF THE FACTS AND OPINIONS HAVE BEEN VERIFIED AND VETTED....AND REMEMBER

"IT IS BETTER TO REMAIN SILENT AND THOUGHT A FOOL THAN TO OPEN YOUR MOUTH AND REMOVE ALL DOUBT."

DO YOUR RESEARCH, PEOPLE.

GO HILLARY.

January 20, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  20. Chris in NM

The best ticket would be Clinton/Richardson.,,,,,,,,

Hillary will shine and push through and after Super Tuesday it will be known she is the woman with a plan and the nomination to make that work. I would vote REPUBLICAN if she didnt win the nomination, the other dem contenders are a joke. GO HILLARY....

January 20, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  21. Chinnu

Hillary Is SMART , KNOWLEDGABLE about the COUNTRY and world problem.
    She is HER OWN person NOT a EXTENTION of her husband .
    T
    The ONLYONE CAPABLE woman in 330 YEARS of this GREAT NATION who can be in the contest for presidency and WIN it too.

I will VOTE for her.

January 20, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  22. Carole

GO HILLARY GO!!

HILLARY 2008

There is no other choice for Democrats.

The Clintons HAVE and STILL ARE friends of African Americans. Some of the most influential and better yet, just plain folks know it. All of you peeps that say different just have your heads in a hole!!

HILLARY WILL WIN THE NOMINATION!!!

HILLARY 2008

January 20, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  23. Angela

I am fed up with everyone saying the clintons are in it for themselves, and they didn't help various issues, as president Bill Clinton had a republican house and senate to contend with(a fact that is all too conveniently forgotten) How about some credit for what Bill Clinton has accomplished since leaving office, you can see what issues are important to him... fundraising/US rep (along with Fmr Pres Bush) for victims of Hurricane Katrina, fundraising/US rep (along with Fmr pres bush) for the Tsunami victims, look at the William J Clinton foundations website as well as the clinton global initiative website – HIV/Aids, Health, public housing, climate change, vaccines, education – these are all issues that he is involved in. Try researching information before putting out some of the drivel i have been reading. You are voting for the leader of the world's only superpower – look at the issues instead of this childish name calling and posting unresearched comments.

January 20, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  24. meryl

What's funny is that a lot of you have no idea what you are talking about. Ready for change in VA, Hillary is not the only candidate who left church early to hit the campaign trail; both Obama and Edwards did the same. And if you had paid attention and watched the whole speech, inner city case worker, you would have seen that Hillary was quoting another speech that would not have been as effective if she had simply stated. Please know all the facts before you go on a rant about Hillary. You seem to be blind when it comes to her, seeing as you believe anything the media twists while obama is left alone. Hillary is the only one who can lead this country! Hillary 08!!

January 20, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  25. me

v.cifaldi&paul...

I know it is extremely important which is why am campaigning AGAINST Hillary. I will take any person running on the Democratic side above her. If she is the nominee I WILL write in another candidate or vote Republican. Call it party abandonment or whatever you want. If she gets the vote, my party will have abandoned me because they can't see the truth right that is right in front of them. If she is nominated, the Republicans WILL win. She is divisive, dishonest and wishy-washy. I want someone who is a REAL person, not a hollow shell that is already bought and sold. Get real!

I can't understand why people don't see through her constant "morphing" for each demographic and her fake tears made me want to puke. Let me ask this...did she seek out African Americans, Latinos, or young people in her Iowa run? No she did not, because she didn't see the value in campaigning to them. But now that they have a voice, she is their "old best buddy". BS! She is a liar! Congress will not work together, foreign nations will not respect her and we will not have another woman in the White House for years.

Please do not do this to our party. I want a woman president to have a chance, but it is to be the RIGHT person or she will ruin it for the rest of the female population.

January 20, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |