January 20th, 2008

Clinton surrogates go to church in South Carolina

COLUMBIA, South Carolina (CNN) - Chelsea Clinton and Vernon Jordan, a longtime adviser to President Bill Clinton, quietly attended two African-American church services in South Carolina on Sunday, six days before the state's Democratic primary.

The appearances are part of the Hillary Clinton campaign's outreach toward the state's black voters, who are expected to be a crucial constituency in the primary vote. Barack Obama holds an edge over Clinton among African-Americans according to recent polls.

Chelsea Clinton attended the 11 a.m. service at Bible Way church in Columbia, whose pastor, state senator Darrell Jackson, is a member of Hillary Clinton's South Carolina steering committee.

Jordan and his wife Ann attended services at Brookland Baptist Church in West Columbia.

Hillary Clinton will make her first post-Nevada appearance in South Carolina tomorrow morning in Columbia, while Obama will hold a rally at the Columbia Convention Center tonight.

UPDATE: The Obama campaign points out that Michelle Obama also attended 11 a.m. worship services at Bible Way Church on Sunday.

– CNN South Carolina Producer Peter Hamby

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • South Carolina
  1. Karen P

Independent is just that...Independent. At 58, I have never fallen for "it must be one party or the other' or the "left, right" march. I read, watch, study all the candidates regardless of party. I follow both parties' debates and speeches equally. Right now Obama is tops...after that I'm still debating on the Republicans.

Really now, I wouldn't classify Bush as either party...he's just simply a fanatic who wants to be a dictator and doesn't work well with a two-party system. That's why nothing's been done these past few years in Congress. Bush compares to no one but himself...unique (to put it politely).

Hillary ccouldn't control Billy then, now, or in the White House in the future and both hate the 1st Amendment rights...so she's out for sure. Young voters wouldn't know about how embarrassing and corrupt the Clinton years were and how they loved having China as a supplier. They love the Wally World family. The Clintons played a big role in making sure our jobs went overseas. They are just as responsible as the Reagan's or Bush's of this world for the mess we're in.

January 20, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  2. JimT

What a hoot. All these posters who are shocked that the Clintons would do something political during a political campaign. And now that the article has been amended to say that Michelle Obama also went to church in Columbia, are they still shocked?

January 20, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  3. Bern

DO THE DEMOCRATS KNOW BILL CLINTON SAID THE SAME THING ALMOST ABOUT RONALD REAGAN A FEW YEARS AGO WHEN HE WAS RUNNING FOR OFFICE?

CHECK IT OUT. TIM RUSSERT FROM "MEET THE PRESS" MENTIONED IT THIS AFTERNOON WHEN HE HAD HIS ROUND TABLE WITH PEGGY NOONAN, TOM BROKOW, DORIS KERNS GOODWIN, MEACHAM FROM NEWSWEEK.

PLEASE CHECK IT OUT. I HOPE OBAMA WILL GO AHEAD AND MAKE A BIG DEAL OF IT AND NOT LET THAT NASTY MAN LIE AND GET AWAY WITH IT.

January 20, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  4. Drake

I would vote for Collin Powell, in a heartbeat, for president, but not Obama! I am voting for HIllary and not Obama!
    Give Hillary a shot! Hey maybe the Hillary/Collin ticket would be a winner...he would have to switch teams....
    Go Hillary
    We are pulling for you in Indy

January 20, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  5. Carrie

Just because I won't vote for Hillary Clinton, I am not a Republican Plant. I am tired of the Clinton's BS. I don't depend on the goverment for help. I make my own right choices to help my future. Bill Clinton did nothing for me. Bush did nothing either. I survived. I live in a good middle class family. Yes, I am happy. With Obama, I believe that he can unite this country. With Clinton, it will be the same old, same old: anger and fighting in DC.

Obama 08, 12, 16, 20

(Whenever the country wakes-up and realizies that Obama will make a fine president. Hopefully, we won't be in worse shape! )

January 20, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  6. carlo

To rico: The sad part is what you are saying is probably true. Obama probably will not get the Latino vote, but it will the Latino's loss. Apparently, most of the mainstream has no idea how much Latinos and Asians hate African-Americans, but, as a black woman, I know. Hillary Clinton has more big business and lobbyist supporting her than any other candidate, so I'd sure love to see how she is going to push for a stop to illegal immigration when the corporate giants are getting rich off of their backs. You'll see if she wins, and if that happens, I will drive through the west with a bumper sticker in spanish that states, "don't blame me, I voted for Obama."

January 20, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  7. Christine, Overland Park, Kansas

i don't understand why chelsea clinton is campaigning. sen. clinton needs to stop having chelsea and bill campaigning for her. doesn't chelsea have anything better to do? doesn't she have her own life? or is she forever to remain in her parents' shadows? the fact that she can't even speak (as in give speeches and so forth) would be so embarrassing if i were in her position. she's like what, 30ish? she's not a child. it reminds me of those laura ingalls wilder books "little house on the prairie" that we had to read in elementary school. Ma would always say "children should be seen and not heard". sheesh.

i think it would reflect much better on sen. clinton if she let her daughter do her own thing. let chelsea be an independent woman who is a success in her own right. of course, since sen. clinton isn't exactly a self-made woman (as in she majorly piggybacked off of bill's success), perhaps she's just continuing the tradition. who knows. all i have to say is that as a young adult, i feel sad for chelsea that she doesn't get the opportunity to speak her mind. maybe the reason why obama has the support of many people my age is because he doesn't disregard the young voters and is willing to listen to us.

January 20, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  8. Jon

I am so angry that the Obama camp is using the rece card, Hillary Clinton is not a racist and her ideas are not the oldgaurd, or slave mentality. Look at the people supporting her from our community- Maya Angelou for one. Does the younger part of our community even know who this woman is, and if they did do they think for one minute if she thought hillary was a racist she would be supporting her. For those of you who don't know Maya Angelou is one of Oprah's mentors, apparently Oprah didn't learn the lesson. Also Oprah Winfrey in my opinion is now a fraud and a racist- she promised in 2001 after she had Bush and Gore on her show, and it was widely viewed that she was easier on-Bush, and she felt the ramifications from that that she PROMISED NEVER TO INJECT HERESLF IN POLITICS AGAIN,

January 20, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  9. J. McKinney SW MO

I can't believe the poor, confused people on here who are saying Obama is going to fix everything, he is most experienced, etc, etc. I have never heard him give any info on what he is going to change, and especially HOW he is going to get it done.

And I can't believe the people on here who say Hillary has no plan. She gives her plans, and how she will accomplish it, in all her speeches. She actually DOES have a plan, but more important, she has the experience and know-how to put that plan in place. We need Hillary. GO, HILLARY!!

January 20, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  10. Dee, Plano TX

-ABC-
    -ABC-
    -ANY BODY BUT CLINTON–
    –OBAMA MUST NOT COMPROMISE HIS CREDIBILITY BY ACCEPTING THE VP SPOT SHOULD SHRILLARY WIN THE NOMINATION–
    –HILLARY & BILL ARE THE BEST GIFT TO THE REPUBLICANS IN NOV 2008–
    –MCCAIN WILL BE A ONE-TERM PRESIDENT(2008-2012)–
    -I WOULD RATHER HAVE SHRILLARY LOSE IN NOV 2008 SO THAT AL GORE CAN RUN IN 2012 WITH OBAMA AS VP.
    –HERE IS THE SHORLIST FOR 2012-
    –FORMER VP. AL GORE-
    -GOV. ED RANDELL(PA)
    -GOV. BRIAN SCHWEITZER (MT)

January 20, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  11. KimSC

Hillary 2008!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 20, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  12. DeVone

When Bill Clinton was the President of the United States of America that was
    fine, I hope we are realy taking a close look at what we the American people
    are about to do. Remember every one except Tony Blaire said we were
    A Stupid nation for a second turm with Bush of course this is Clinton nto Bush
    but old is old how will this regain respect for our nation? we keep doing the same thing

January 20, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  13. Mike in Charleston

I lived in the DC area for about 13 years starting in 1994. I went to the Foundry United Methodist Church where Bill and Hillary Clinton attended on a regular basis. Bob and Elizabeth Dole were also regular attendees. Do you people really believe that just because the Clintons are Democrats they are somehow not religious people. Stop being such idiots.

January 20, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  14. Greg, Brattleboro, VT

THESE WORDS ARE NOT FROM ME, HOWEVER, I THINK THEY CAN ENLIGHTEN OUR MINDS.

" Dear Bill,

We loved Bill Clinton as president.

When you told us you didn't inhale, with that little twinkle in your eye, we believed you and loved you even more.

When you got more than just a twinkle in your eye and a cigar in the - well, we stuck by you. We rallied against the vast right wing conspiracy and ushered Newt and his fellow reptilians out of office.

Man, the 90s were fun – huh? The Macarena alone... But now we're in a new decade. Web 2.0, YouTube and camera phones; preemptive wars and terrorist attacks. It's a new era. And we've spent 8 years under the thumb of a royal son.

We're ready for change. We have some amazing Presidential Candidates. Edwards, Obama, and of course, the candidate like family to you – Clinton.

I know you want your wife to win. A lot of us want a Democrat in 2008. But you're getting mean Bill. That twinkle in your eye is starting to look more like crazy eye.

You're making accusations that Karl Rove & Co. will eat up and spit back out at us come time for the general election.

You're actually disenfranchising folks this time around, dividing the electorate at a time we need to come together.

And Bill, you're starting to make stuff up. And this time, we're noticing. It's a new era, Bill; everything you say is recorded and broadcast.

So what we're asking, Bill, is that you just shut up.

Just shut up.

Sincerely,

Pretty Much Everyone ".

January 20, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  15. John Edwarss

Hitlery must lose the elections, she is an evil person that lies and berates everyone that is against her and her husband. Obama is a good person, he must win.

Go Obama!!

January 20, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  16. Carole

A true democrat will not abandon the party. For all you complainers out there, we should be very proud of our slate of candidates for 2008. They are all committed to saving the middle class, making sure that everyone can get affordable health care, bringing our troops home from iraq,getting our education system on track ( no child left behind...what a joke!!), and strengthening our borders. Also taking on the corporations for outsourcing our American jobs.

Ask yourself if you have had enough of King George and his administration that has done nothing but bankrupt our country and made us lose our respectability in the world? Do you like the gas prices that are at record high levels? Before he took office a barrel of oil was around 27.00 ! Home foreclosures...how about that? What about the Katrina disaster and how it was handled? This list could go on and on.

But we as democrats need to unite behind our nominee no matter who the person is.

Some of you bloggers continue to make statements about a candidates sincerity,etc. etc. Who are you to make that judgement?

C'mon people...pay attention to the issues and compare what the Republicans will do for this country vs the Democrats. Be truthful to yourself and make your decision upon who you really think will be the best candidate to lead this country forward based on the candidate's positions....

I will be voting for a democrat no matter what!!! I am for Hillary because I have listened to her position on the issues and I feel she is highly qualified to turn this country around and move it forward once again. Should she not get the nomination, I will not hesitate to vote for the selected democrat nominee.

January 20, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  17. PhilT

It is a game, a power game, to the Clintons. We are at an "extremely" important fork in the road for the future of our country. We can forge ahead together to a brighter future of hope and change, or stay divided by partisan politics by reverting to the Clintonian dynasty. It is our choice as voters. Not the choice of one who seems to think she is preordained and entitled because of her service to Bill.

January 20, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  18. Robert Campbell

Experience is what cabinets are for. You appoint experienced people to the cabinet. In this way, continuity helps the executive branch deal with changing times.

Leadership, hope and credibility with the American people is what the presidency is for. You elect an open, candid, enthusiastic leader as president, a leader who Americans can respect and all the world can respect. That president motivates The United States of America to be all that it can be, and all that it was intended to be.

Please elect Barack Obama President of the United States.

January 20, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  19. Deanna Woodham

I am an educated (Masters degree), white female who will celebrate my 70th birthday this year. I have voted Democratic in every general election (voted for McCain in the 2000 Georgia primary) since 1964. I am an avid Barack Obama supporter, having made monetary contributions to his campaign. Apparently, I do not fit into the women's category who support Senator Clinton. The reason is that I consider Barack Obama the promise of positive change for our country. I am in awe of his intelligence, inspired by his message, impressed with his experience, and committed to work for his election. While it would be nice to see a woman president of the United States of America, I do not believe that Senator Clinton is best for our country. With the challenges our nation faces, we do not need the Clinton baggage or drama during these perilous times. I have been deeply saddened by what has happened to our country during the last seven years. As a deeply patriotic citizen, it appals me what the Clintons will do to return to the White House. I watched with dismay as former President Clinton demeaned Senator Barack Obama's campaign/vote on Iraq as a "fairy tale" and realized what a mean spirited person I supported during the 1992 and 1996 elections. I salute the Atlanta-Journal Newspaper for endorsing Senator Obama.

January 20, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  20. Teejay

Annie, you raised a very important question which H.Clinton's apologists are afraid to comment on. I would like to see her (HC) asked that "million dollar" question during next week debate in South Carolina .

January 20, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  21. darrell

Surrogates is a nice of describing them

Modern Pharisees – Deal makers sounds more fitting.

I love Church and I choose Obama,

sounds like Hillary wording for the Nevada Union workers.

Dems for Unions, Ha!

Obama 08

January 20, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  22. Nando

If Hillary gets the Democratic Nomination I will become a Republican like my Father , He was a Reagan Democrat I never understood why he did until now, Becuase I see ithey put ther loyalties before whats best for Our NATION and that is NOT BILLARY, IF OBAMA is not the Nominee I will CHANGE my Registration and Become a Republican!!!!!!!!! I never want this disfunctional Family anywhere near Our WHITE HOUSE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OBAMA 08,12

January 20, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  23. darrell

Hillary win the Nomination

GOP 08,

Hillary wins the nomination

GOP 2012

Same old experience, same results.

Her econ. stimulus f the mark.

Obama hit the mark with his short term plan.

Obama 08

Then we all can have a voice, not just the rich surrogates
    Ha, Ha

January 20, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  24. NextPresident

Hillbillary speaks of how she praises Dr Martin Luther King but on Monday January 21 2008, she decided not to pay respect to Dr King but rather send Bill to do her bidding. So I guess she has had enough of the black folks in Harlem and South Carolina. The hypocrisy of this witch and her impeached husband is just appauling and to through Chelsea in the mix just add insult to injury because Chelsea has not clue of what working class America looks like. Chelsea's facial features clearly display her uncomforts around blacks in large congregations in church. I guess that is why HillBillary will not be in Atlanta because Chelsea is not comfortable with other races.

Enough of this Clinton, Bush, CLinton, Bush criminal activity.

January 20, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  25. Brooke

Clearly, Hillary is the most experienced candidate and is more qualified. You can't tell me that after living in the White House for 8 years, Hillary doesn't have more experience than Obama and that she doesn't know what the job will demand of her. Although they are close on the issues, Hillary Clinton is more moderate than Barack Obama. What's more, not only does she have the experience, she has the strength, organization, and knowledge to DO the job.

To those of you who claim you'd rather not vote at all than vote for Hillary if she gets the nomination, YOU will be to blame when the next Republican president appoints a bunch of conservatives to the Supreme Court, who will then take away the rights, equalities, and freedoms we have worked so hard to get (Roe vs. Wade, etc.). If you think this isn't a possibility, you are fooling yourself.

If you're a Democrat, you should stand by the candidate who is going to represent our positions on the issues, regardless of whether it's Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, or John Edwards.

To the person who said Hillary is Pro-war, newsflash: She voted in support of the war because that is what our country needed to do at that time. We were under attack. Are we to sit back and do nothing? Be serious.
    What we need now is a plan to finish the job over there and bring the troops home, and that what Hillary is going to do. FINISH the job, although it may take a little while, and take care of our National Security.

To Mike, who wants to know how Hillary (a WOMAN) is going to handle sitting down with leaders of different countries like China, etc. as a WOMAN, I will tell you. Hillary, a FEMALE (gasp!), will do exactly what Margaret Thatcher (former British Prime Minister), Angela Merkel (current German Chancellor), Kim Campbell (former Canadian Prime Minister) and other female leaders have done for decades. She will sit down with them, not take any crap, and represent our nation proudly.

This woman is an extremely talented, brilliant, hardworking, committed attorney. She has been in public service since long before her husband was elected. She is the most qualified for the job. If she was a man, there wouldn't even be a question.

HILLARY '08