January 20th, 2008

Clinton surrogates go to church in South Carolina

COLUMBIA, South Carolina (CNN) - Chelsea Clinton and Vernon Jordan, a longtime adviser to President Bill Clinton, quietly attended two African-American church services in South Carolina on Sunday, six days before the state's Democratic primary.

The appearances are part of the Hillary Clinton campaign's outreach toward the state's black voters, who are expected to be a crucial constituency in the primary vote. Barack Obama holds an edge over Clinton among African-Americans according to recent polls.

Chelsea Clinton attended the 11 a.m. service at Bible Way church in Columbia, whose pastor, state senator Darrell Jackson, is a member of Hillary Clinton's South Carolina steering committee.

Jordan and his wife Ann attended services at Brookland Baptist Church in West Columbia.

Hillary Clinton will make her first post-Nevada appearance in South Carolina tomorrow morning in Columbia, while Obama will hold a rally at the Columbia Convention Center tonight.

UPDATE: The Obama campaign points out that Michelle Obama also attended 11 a.m. worship services at Bible Way Church on Sunday.

– CNN South Carolina Producer Peter Hamby

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • South Carolina
  1. Georgia4Obama

Hilary Clinton "working" for African Americans. Let's see a proud Goldwater girl and Republican in 1964. Remember Goldwater who was against the Civil Rights Act.

Ask Lani Guiner about how the Clintons abandoned her when Republicans lied about her civil rights records and labelled her a "Quota Queen".

Ask Jocelyn Elders who was fired after the media took a statement completely out of context by not playing the previous 60 seconds of her response to a question.

Ask the millions of young African American males who were imprisoned for long stretches for crack cocaine possession while cocaine and crystal meth users do not receive anywhere close to the same mandatory sentences.

Ask the millions of displaced workers who lost their jobs after NAFTA was approved 61 to 39 with only 28 Democratic Senators voting yes. Working class blacks lost good paying manufacturing jobs.

The Clintons are not friends but exploiters of the Black Commmunity. If Obama tried to point out the truth the Clintons would turn it around and make their actions HIS fault. If Hilary is elected, I will vote but I will not cast a presidential vote.
    The Clintons have a lot of apologizing to the Black community.

January 20, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  2. John, IA

Karen , what a selfish figure you are. I am calling you a figure as calling you a person is disrespectful for people who value years of friendship and sacrifice. Dr. Martin Luther King taught me that humanity and my moral conviction is more important than my skin color. Bill and Hillary has done a lot for me and my family and my neighbors. And now when they need me, i should backstab them for what someone who is my skin color? What had Obama sacrificed for me?

Friendship and loyalty is stronger than skin color bonding. I guess you have no morals, Miss Karen P.

-–
    Karen P January 20, 2008 2:28 pm ET

Hillary's suck-up antics make me just SICK! She won't even let Chelsea talk to kid reporters then sends her to church in South Carolina??? I just had to turn OFF the CNN broadcast of Hillary being backed by a church in Harlem…and how unbelievable it was. She just stood there blank-faced shaking her head while the pastor READS pages and pages and pages of how great Hillary is and her 30+ years of service to the community, etc. It sounded like HIllary wrote the speech for sure.

I HOPE Obama wins by a landslide! He will if the African American community has brains to think for themselves instead of the Clinton machine doing it for them and CONSTANTLY reminding the people of "favors", whatever that was and now it is Clinton's turn to GET the favors. Give me a break.

I am ashamed of the split African American community to preferring "friendship" over someone who is about to make Martin Luther King's Dream come true and show pride in what Obama has accomplished. All the blood and grief since the 50s and 60s and now the chance to have unity only to let it slip on by. Good grief…even whites vote Obama…he has the country pulling TOGETHER but 1/2 the U.S. population hates Hillary!

January 20, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  3. Mia, Stafford, VA

Sunny – Barack did not say Reagan made positive change, he said he changed the trajectory – which he did, and he was able to do that because he won 49 STATES – 49 STATES that gave him a mandate that had not been had prior or since. That's not to say his policy or changes were good.

It just says the people were ready for change in a big way, and their votes indicated that!

January 20, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  4. Ben

ya, we love Clintons and are good for this country.....

January 20, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  5. Arleen Benson

No one can unite the Republican party – NO ONE! But Hillary can and will unite the Democratic party to get out and vote in November. MLK's dream didn't end in with the Voting Rights Act... even those of us who aren't 'people of color' continue to be discriminated against based on our sex, religion, and/or sexual preference.

The fact that Michelle Obama expects all blacks to vote for her husband because he's black and is the only one capable of fulfilling MLK's dream seems extremely racist to me. Obama gives a great speech. Perhaps he should inform Michelle of his desire to be 'a hopeful uniter' – continuing to stress the race thing is only going to unite those people who don't know or care who MLK was and what he stands for today and vote against Obama because he's black.

January 20, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  6. Angela

When Obama goes to a white church is accused of pandering to get the white vote????

Maybe all these candidates and their church going is to get exposure to the people who live there and to get their votes. It just happens to be incidental that the congregation happens to be in a predominantly black community who are all potential voters.
    Why does the media racially spin this thing. and why do people on this board say they are pandering?

Exposure is exposure.

That is what they are expected to do as candidates.!!

Enough with the racially charged pandering accusations!!!

January 20, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  7. stop being blind

1) Church and power – government , religion should not influence the governance, , the politics
    2) In this country are other people than African-American, it is whites, white women, hispanics, indians, asians, name it
    3)country needs diplomat, experienced person
    4) people do not see through their emotions and ignorance -read, get to know before you throw nastiness on someone
    Hillary has the poise, the diplomatic poise, the experience, she is real, smart, knows how to

5) when I was learning computer programming, we were drilled to control our emotions, because when emotions take over, person is not able to think clearly, logically.

so, all those emotions out of range – in judging Clintons are not worth to even to listen to them.

So what that pres. Clinton does speeches for Hillary? He is good in it!. Michele can speak for her husband, but Clinton cannot for his wife? Double standard........

Hillary yes!

January 20, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  8. Dee

Just to comment on Deanna Woodman's statement. I am an African-American or Black man, if you will, and am also well educated. I am in my mid-20's and am employed as a Financial Analyst. Just had to create the backdrop here. I, however, differ with you when it comes to the candidate whom I support. My support is fully behind the Senator from New York, Mrs. Hillary Rodham Clinton! I do not base my support on race or gender, I do so on the candidate's proven track record, experience, ability, vision and service to this country. I do not base my support on hype, charisma, and eloquent speaking. America said it wanted a "CHANGE" in 2000 and we surely got it, didn't we? We got lies, deceit, lousy economy and a war that has caused hundreds of thousands of lives plus injuries. We wanted a simple man with charisma in 2000 and we got it. We can't afford to gamble with America's future, we can't afford to take a chance and hope that the next president will be ready to go shortly after taking office. We need someone who is ready on DAY ONE. We need someone with experience and the ability to make sensible change. We need someone with proven strength and leadership and the ability to make things happen. America needs HILLARY CLINTON to be its next President.

Hillary Clinton for President. She will be a great leader for us all- white, black, hispanic, rich, poor, men, woman, etc etc.

January 20, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  9. Hillary Clinton Supporter from Florida

It just cracks me up to read some of the comments against Hillary Clinton. It cracks me up that people say Obama can work across party lines, when if you look at the records, Hillary Clinton has always worked across party lines in the Senate. She has worked with John McCAIN on several Bills in the Senate. GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT AND DO A LITTLE RESEARCH BEFORE POSTING SUCH IGNORANT COMMENTS!!!! GO HILLARY!!!!

January 20, 2008 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  10. Danny Campbell

Obama is clearly not ready to be president. First, he calls into question the Clintons' life-long record of supporting human rights (as the race heads to SC) - then he turns a blind eye to the Culinery Union's bigoted slander against Hillary (after criticizing Edwards for the same kind of ad in Iowa).

Those of you who continue to use the GOP's 'talking points' against the Clintons need to remember (and respect) our legal system. 70 million of our tax dollars were spent investigating the Clintons and for what? To learn about a stupid marital affair?

Hillary has proven herself to the American people OVER and OVER again. Nobody (in my opinion) is better positioned to win in '08 - and frankly, nobody is better qualified (on either side of the aisle). The GOP knows it - and so do many people that actually follow politics closely.

I do (however) hope that if she wins the nomination that Obama is her running mate...but again, he isn't ready for the Presidency.

January 20, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  11. Lee, York Pa

Hillary has stood tall and will do so in 08 and again in 2012
    VERY proud to be 100% a CLINTON supportor...
    SHE is what America needs
    Go Hill Go

January 20, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  12. gene

If these are Obama democrats they ought to be ashamed of themselves. When you read the comments. The Obama supporters are nasty, they do not discuss the issues. They rant and rave about about the Clinton family and race and everything else that has nothing to do with the issues. I am a life long liberal democrat . I am a world war two veteran . Will vote in the general election for whoever wins the nomination. Now to you jerks, who I suspect are republicans, why don't you spend a little time looking at some of those "Winners" that you have in your own primary.

January 20, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  13. Jack

Obama need to leave Bill Clinton along and come up with a plan for himself. Bill have all right to protect his wife.

January 20, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  14. Shocked!!!

Juan Carlos (Vegas), Mike and Phil from Memphis, TN – thank you for being smart.

Connie – I guess CNN and the other bias news outlets have accomplished what they set out to do, fool some folks- can't you tell when you are being manipulated?

To: Now You want to Play Nice – the Clintons didn't "bring race into this" the media did, by deliberately twisting the words of both Pres. Clinton and Senator Clinton and you fell for it hook, line and sinker.

And to those who say Sen. Obama (or his surrogates) has not been negative – what about that ad in Las Vegas in spanish attacking Hillary – wasn't that negative, wasn't that pandering to the Latino voters? I can't believe you are all so bias/hateful against Senator Clinton that you all overlook that.

I like both Senators Clinton and Obama and if either one of them gets the nomination, I will vote for him or her, because I am a true democrat – no a fair weather one.

January 20, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  15. kwame

HILLARY 08, 2012

January 20, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  16. Just me

Women of America are the most racist group of people I have ever encountered. And I am a woman! You should be ashamed to vote for someone soley because she is a female.

Don't even pretend this is about issues, or about experience. It is about getting a woman in the White House.

Unbelievable!!!!!

January 20, 2008 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  17. Sunny Erickson

I am a Democrat!!!! I believe in the philosophy of the Democratic party. I cannot imagine voting for a repulblican in this day and age. Back in the day when the evangelical wing of the party did not have the ruling power, there were a few Repulicans I liked, such as Rockefella or Lindsey (liked, not vote for), but those personalities no longer exist in the party.

Those of you who are stating that if Hillary is the nominee you will become a republican is a joke. I do not believe for one minute that you ever intended to cast your vote for Obama or Clinton. If you can consider backing a group of people that believe that the answer to all of our problems is more tax cuts for the rich (trickle down..), privitization of social security, gay bashing (although so many of them seem to be personally in favor of the gay life experience), outlawing a women's right to choose, anti stem cell research, continuation of the war (for a 100 years per John McCain) you were NEVER A DEMOCRAT...

Any of the top three candidates are good, strong and viable. You may, as I do, prefer one over the other, but please vote your philosophy and do not betray the party!!!!

January 20, 2008 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  18. DUH JANEL!

I"t is good that Chelsea and Vernon went to church. . .but that th"ey went to a predominantly African-American church seems a bit political. "

HELLO – what do you call Nobama going to the place where MLK spoke years ago? Give me a break! This is ELECTION YEAR – every move, every word is absolutely political! Were you born yesterday? Do you think Obama sounding like he's leading a revival is just the way he is? NOOOOO, it's a political move to get even more African American votes.

You guys are something else. Criticize women who support Clinton "just because she's a woman" but African Americans who support Obama aren't just supporting him because he's black? Again, GIVE ME A BREAK!

Vote for Hillary Clinton if you want to get our country back.

January 20, 2008 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  19. From The North

Wake Up America ! There are more than two Candidates in the race.......
    Obama said, Obama did, Clintons said, Clintons did....... The truth is.....
    Obama and Clintons have said nothing and done nothing that wasn't said or done long before they became Candidates ! Between the two of them they couldn't come up with one original thought if the Saudi's Trillions were the grand prize!

You all really lucked out when you looked past Biden for two Glory Seekers who will never find their way to the promised land !

January 20, 2008 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  20. Just me

To those who think that Dems or Indies would vote Repub in the 2008 general if Hillary gets the Dem nom......you are WRONG if you think we are Repub plants.

WE ARE NOT! We do not believe in the Clintons and WILL NOT vote for them in 2008. WE ARE DEMS AND INDIES!!!!!

January 20, 2008 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  21. Shocked!!!

Just wanted to clarify – my thanks was to Mike (at 4:31) – who had the "2 very intelligent points.

Also, I should have included Roger in the smart group. We need more smart people making comments on here .

January 20, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  22. Andy-CA

All of you that say you will vote Republican if Hillary wins should just vote that way now.
    Hilary will win in the end!!!!!

Hillary 2008!!!!!!!

January 20, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  23. Sense

Re: Boom!!

Thank goodness for some good dose of Reality!!! You go...Boom...boom...

January 20, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  24. Michelle

Like so many before me have already requested, I would love to see a legitimate enumeration of just what exactly comprises Senator Clinton's "35 years of experience" as well as a synopsis of what the Clintons have done to endear themselves to the African American community.

I was alive and well and paying attention during the Clinton years, but all I seem to have come away with from that time is that people were doing well economically. Beyond that, I just remember how sleazy and drama-filled those years were.

And look at the aftermath of those years–look where we are now. How long is it going to take to undo/fix the damage that has been done to this country and all it represents?

I honestly can't imagine one of the most divisive individuals in modern politics being able to get us back on track.

What am I missing? What's the fascination?

January 20, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  25. E Gollan

after reading all these comments I am disheartened by the name calling and hatred. MLK preached peace, love not hate. I notice most of the hatred comes from Obama supporters and if these are young people the future is in danger. Everyone has their favorite, hopefully by researching for the truth. I personally prefer Clinton but either one of the three Dem would do their best and be better than the party that has again put the country into debt. Just pray China doesn't call in their loans.

January 20, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |