January 20th, 2008

Edwards: 'I got my butt kicked'

Edwards said Sunday he's in it for the long haul.
Edwards said Sunday he's in it for the long haul.

(CNN) - After a crushing loss in Nevada's Democratic caucuses Saturday, presidential candidate John Edwards said Sunday that he hopes "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas."

Edwards placed a distant third in the vote, with just 4 percent of the vote, behind Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama.

“I got my butt kicked. That is what happened in Nevada,” the former North Carolina senator told Wolf Blitzer on CNN’s Late Edition. “And the job for me now is - I have learned this from my whole life experience, is when you get knocked down, you have got to get up. You have got to get up and start fighting again…

“I would kind of like to go back to the old Las Vegas saying, though. You know, ‘what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas’? I hope that turns out to be true in this case.”

Instead of campaigning in Nevada in the days before Saturday’s vote, Edwards focused instead on stumping in his birth state of South Carolina, where he won the 2004 primary.

Edwards is running a distant third in the state in most recent surveys, behind Obama and Clinton.

Saturday night, after his disappointing Nevada finish, his campaign tried to downplay the importance of results in any one state. "The race to the nomination is a marathon and not a sprint,” said Edwards’ campaign manager, former Rep. David Bonior. “The nomination won't be decided by win-loss records, but by delegates, and we're ready to fight for every delegate.”

On Sunday, Edwards continued to sound a cautious theme, saying South Carolina was “important,” but just one “part of the long process. …We will see how it goes.”

Related video: Watch Edwards' Late Edition interview with Wolf Blitzer

– CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: John Edwards • Nevada
  1. Michiel

This is the current poll on CNN:
    Have you listened to or watched any speeches or debates by the presidential candidates?
    Speeches 4% 95
    Debates 14% 381
    Both 37% 988
    Neither 45% 1175
    Total Votes: 2639

It shows the largest percentage is neither listening to speeches or debates. Lets hope they are reading each of the potential candidate's plans for this country, rather than just listening to the media! This is not a popularity contest, nor is it a time to make "history" just for the sake of making history. This country is in serious trouble and we need a candidate who is intent on improving the lot of the people who need it most; the middle class and poor of this country. For me, that is John Edwards. His Plan for America makes sense, and I believe he has the determination and drive to carry his plans through. Please research the candidates, or listen to the debate tonight. Don't let the media make the choice for you.

January 21, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  2. linda4dems

John Edwards was amazing in the debate tonight (as usual) and is someone I would be proud to have as my president. Can't say the same for HRC and BHO. Dems, please keep in mind that he is the most electable Democrat in the race, and the only Dem who beats McCain. HRC is past her prime and BHO is not ready, but JRE is just right! Martin Luther King III wrote a wonderful letter to John Edwards today, asking him to stay in the race, and continue to fight for the poor and middle class. He said that his dad was a fighter like John and would be very proud of him. Made my Martin Luther King Day!

January 22, 2008 01:23 am at 1:23 am |
  3. Jim Mussmann

I have watched all three democratic debates in '08 and so far have gone from republican, admittedly mostly out of ignorance, to huge Edwards supporter. He has earned my vote and I have signed up on his website to join his campaign and spread the word about him. It is a shame that more people haven't given him a chance. He shows an amazing amount of passion and to me displays the most willingness to fight for not only change, but improvement for America as a whole!

January 22, 2008 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  4. Robert

Edwards is and aways will be a "ambulance chaser".The only one he is interested in is himself made his million's off the unfortunant as most lawers tend to do by taking the largest part of settlements for himself.Only taking on cases He knew he could sway jury's with junk science.Now he clam's he want to fix our broken health care?He is running on ego.He is part of what has caused health care to be so costly.He has no leadership ability! Other than taking us even frather down the road to disaster I see nothing else he would acomplish.I am a independent and at this point I know of three that won't get my vote.I hope the American people arn't as foolish as they were with "slick Willy"!! From N.C. Robert

January 23, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  5. JamesA

The white male is becoming a minority in this country.If obama or clinton are elected then we might as well move aside and let the others have it .BE SMART VOTE FOR JOHN EDWARDS.

January 27, 2008 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  6. Teresa

Okay , ladies and gentlemen, lets face it . Bill Clinton is a good looking man who attracts women, regardless if he is the flirt or they throw thenselves at him and he doesn't know how to say no. I am sure there were presidents before him that had the same problems and were not expounded on . Hillary had the strength to put up with it and forgive his faults. If more women could do that , there might not be as many divorces as there are today. She fought to keep her family intact. Bringing up all that rhetoric about Bill doesn't do the country or the the campaign any good. I watched Campaign Killers on CNN, so I truly believe that our election system is being compromised. Let's not let it happen.

January 27, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  7. Melinda

I hope Teresa moves to Canada. We a re a "United" States Lady! You just can't see any other person who is not white up there as president. You suck!! By the way GO OBAMA!!! Bill is not just camapaigning for Hillary he shows how biased he really is. Win at all cost!!

January 29, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |